Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This is it, Biden should stay out of the mud. That's his role, to be the alternative.

The likes of Bloomberg, Schiff, schumer, pelosi, Sanders etc etc etc can play the roles of junior and Eric but obviously to a less odious degree

Bloomberg can finance plenty of that level of mud slinging too and stay detached from it himself. Every single thing to slam Trump on, hit him and hit him hard. He is so thin skinned he will give ample ammunition on top of what is already there.

Bloomberg has been relatively quiet so far but I think his deep pockets could have a major influence in the election. Was reading that they expect this election to smash all records for TV ad spends because of the virus situation, estimates have put it at over $6 billion for the two campaigns in ads alone.

Last I read was that Bloomberg has decided not to set up his own Superpac but is choosing which pro Biden superpacs he will direct his first tranche of $250m to. He is on record as saying he is prepared to invest up to $1bn to the campaign but his hatred of Trump could drive that even further closer to November. Bloombergs money will be significant for the Dems fundraising efforts.

Is Trump expected to have a similar super donor?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Bloomberg has been relatively quiet so far but I think his deep pockets could have a major influence in the election. Was reading that they expect this election to smash all records for TV ad spends because of the virus situation, estimates have put it at over $6 billion for the two campaigns in ads alone.

Last I read was that Bloomberg has decided not to set up his own Superpac but is choosing which pro Biden superpacs he will direct his first tranche of $250m to. He is on record as saying he is prepared to invest up to $1bn to the campaign but his hatred of Trump could drive that even further closer to November. Bloombergs money will be significant for the Dems fundraising efforts.

Is Trump expected to have a similar super donor?

He sort of did in Peter Thiel - but he has pulled away in recent times , apparently more than a little unimpressed with Trumps performance recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

What will he run on?

Economy in tatters.
    Millions unemployed
    Deficit exploding
    Little of the wall built
    Hillary free

I'm sure he'll run on how the economy was booming before Covid and that the only thing to blame for the current poor economic performance is those evil Chinese and the "fake news" media. And it will most likely work, if we're being honest. His "base" will lap that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Makes zero sense. Being blamed for high unemployment yet ignoring the reason for the unemployment and also ignoring the rate before a global pandemic.

Holds no water with anyone in possession of a rational brain

This the same thing the GOP, Trump and their media wings (FOX etc) said since 2008, Obama caused the recession and they never got out of it until January 2017 despite the fact he turned a recession around and handed Trump a decent economy which now looks in ribbons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I don't think Bloomberg will have much influence on election.

He isn't running so it's unlikely he puts much money into campaign.
    PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I'm sure he'll run on how the economy was booming before Covid and that the only thing to blame for the current poor economic performance is those evil Chinese and the "fake news" media. And it will most likely work, if we're being honest. His "base" will lap that up.

Pretty much. Don't forget the reason the US was so ill prepared wasn't Trump but because Obama had left country in a mess. If Trump wasn't in charge things would be ten times worse. The Dems wasting time on impeachment meant they are fully to blame for crisis.

His base and others will eat that stuff up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Foxtrol wrote: »
    thing where some people say 'Trump is playing 4D chess' but is actually shooting himself in the foot.

I heard someone say that yeah people think he playing 4D chess but actually "he's eating the chess pieces" so no one can play...

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The trump administration is to leave the open skies treaty over Russia violations. It's almost as if this is like him claiming he was taking a drug I doubt he was actually taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Pre covid the Us unemployment rate was the lowest in 60 years.

Pre trump the definition of what constituted unemployed differed.

Juking stats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

listermint wrote: »
    Pre trump the definition of what constituted unemployed differed.

Juking stats.

I actually admire that post. Shows commitment. Just before Trump took office the definition changed. Stop the lights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I actually admire that post. Shows commitment. Just before Trump took office the definition changed. Stop the lights

Just shows you didn't pay attention before the 2016 election, Trump and his ilk constantly said the numbers were fudged under Obama, the minute he took office they were perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

'4D chess' is probably the stupidest analogy in the history of stupid analogies.

It's literally like something you could imagine a member of spinal tap trying to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

rossie1977 wrote: »
    I don't think Bloomberg will have much influence on election.

He isn't running so it's unlikely he puts much money into campaign.

I would have agreed with you 2 months ago but the market has rebounded a lot. I think a lot of big donors on both sides wont invest as much as before the crisis but Bloomberg will dump in a sizable amount of cash.
    Pretty much. Don't forget the reason the US was so ill prepared wasn't Trump but because Obama had left country in a mess. If Trump wasn't in charge things would be ten times worse. The Dems wasting time on impeachment meant they are fully to blame for crisis.

His base and others will eat that stuff up.

Trump's base is shrinking though, which they are panicking about, and that nonsense blaming Obama's isn't going to work on independents, look at Obama's poll numbers.

Trump has recently poured money into areas which were his heartlands, which is a huge red flag at this point in the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Gintonious wrote: »

The best orator ever to grace the oval office, now if that was Biden you would have his zealots using that video as proof of his "declining mental health" or accusing him of having dementia.

I was reading trumps tweet about the so called illegal action of the Secretary of State of Michigan. It's bizarre as he says it was "done illegally and without authorisation" but the right to vote my mail is in the mighigan constitution since 2018 and the Secretary of State of a state are in charge of elections so surely a SOS had the authority to do this.

Maybe I'm trying to inject logic into something where logic goes to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,585 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1263518696309313537

Ah lads, what the hell is going on?[/QUOTE

Designed confusion.

aloyisious wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1263518696309313537

Ah lads, what the hell is going on?[/QUOTE

Designed confusion.

There's design involved there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I watched that interview live on CNN, the man spoke gibberish for parts of it and rather than push the point...
    Journalists repeated a question on Michigan funding that he'd already answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He can’t believe that positive is a bad thing in this and it’s confusing him.

One for the U.S citizens: can you serve as a member of the Trump Admin Team [DNI] while serving as a congressman? I'm wondering, initially, how could it work if the new DNI John Ratcliffe [GOP C/man Texas] was to appear before the Congress Intelligence Committee. The senate has confirmed his appointment, reportedly on party vote lines.

Does there have to be an election in Texas to replace him in the House or can a replacement nominee come internally from the GOP without getting a personal mandate from Texan voters? Would it be like here that the party can put in some-one from the faithful to fill the vacancy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I was reading trumps tweet about the so called illegal action of the Secretary of State of Michigan. It's bizarre as he says it was "done illegally and without authorisation" but the right to vote my mail is in the mighigan constitution since 2018 and the Secretary of State of a state are in charge of elections so surely a SOS had the authority to do this.

Maybe I'm trying to inject logic into something where logic goes to die.

Nothing illegal done as they simply issued a letter asking people did they want to apply for a postal ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

One for the U.S citizens: can you serve as a member of the Trump Admin Team [DNI] while serving as a congressman? I'm wondering, initially, how could it work if the new DNI John Ratcliffe [GOP C/man Texas] was to appear before the Congress Intelligence Committee. The senate has confirmed his appointment, reportedly on party vote lines.

Does there have to be an election in Texas to replace him in the House or can a replacement nominee come internally from the GOP without getting a personal mandate from Texan voters? Would it be like here that the party can put in some-one from the faithful to fill the vacancy?

Eventually there'd need to be an election to replace him, a special election, subject to whatever terms the state uses. Governor will choose the replacement until the special election (at least, that's how it works for Senators. Not sure if Congressmen are any different.)

This is how right-wing tool Martha McSally is a Senator right now, she's a mindless Trumpbot who has run for Senator in AZ, but lost, but then replaced a 'temporary' Senator, Jon Kyl, who had come out retirement to fill John McCain's slot after he died. Had the governor, Ducey, been a Democrat, Kyl's replacement would have been one, but such was not the case.

Party doesn't get to choose (in theory)

Following from the reported claim that the FBI had not classified the documents naming General Flynn in the investigation against him, and the claims from GOP party representatives that the Dems were unlawfully trying to "unmask" Gen Flynn in said documents, General Flynn's lawyers have added another twist to the ORIGINAL tale by successfully asking a federal appeals to order the judge hearing the case to drop his decision to get a retired judge examine if Flynn should be charged and proceed immediately to decision on the case before him. It sounds very complicated but boils down to a "handle what's in front of you" order and might enable said judge to tell anyone from DOJ to feck off, I've got my limitations laid out for me by the appeals court.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/21/appeals-court-orders-flynn-judge-to-respond-to-demand-to-dismiss-case.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

You could do an endless number of them.

Here he is yesterday showing that he doesn't have a clue what per capita means

https://twitter.com/Nicoxw1/status/1263244665647697921?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He has the nuclear codes.

I’m too sober for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Can there be a basic word understanding check in the debates, like fake, per capita, nasty and cofeve. Might get an explanation for the last one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Overheal wrote: »
    He has the nuclear codes.

I’m too sober for this.

The nuclear codes has a chain of command and all sorts of failsafes, I don't fret about that; the really demented angle is that some think this demonstrably ignorant man is a successful, savvy businessman. One wonders if it weren't for his Manhattan portfolio where he might have ended up. Those tax returns must be a doozy to be so aggressively protected - no way he's as wealthy as he claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Designed confusion.

Watching that it seems to me that he's trying to tell US that testing negative is a positive thing. Just in case we were to think a bad thing about him.

That's how I'm seeing it anyway. Which is more mental really.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Can there be a basic word understanding check in the debates, like fake, per capita, nasty and cofeve. Might get an explanation for the last one.

A jargon war to see whether Biden or Trump makes the most non-intellectual gaffe, in debate form, could be the best presidential debate in modern history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,043 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

pixelburp wrote: »
    The nuclear codes has a chain of command and all sorts of failsafes, I don't fret about that; the really demented angle is that some think this demonstrably ignorant man is a successful, savvy businessman. One wonders if it weren't for his Manhattan portfolio where he might have ended up. Those tax returns must be a doozy to be so aggressively protected - no way he's as wealthy as he claims.

Without his father's money we'd never hear of Trump.

Trump is a failed business man

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement