Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

murphy15 wrote: »
    to be honest most people in our department are from the country & have not a penny after rent is paid a lot a renting rooms etc in naas kilcock leixlip and most are aiming to get down the country eventually

Just goes to show that there is zero need for these desk jobs to be based in Dublin, its beyond stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭doc22

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Just goes to show that there is zero need for these desk jobs to be based in Dublin, its beyond stupid.

Dublin is where the HQ of the Departments ,minister and Oireachtas are. Decentralization was a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ladz

Does anyone know where i might find examples of civil service interview questions?
    Back when i was a c.o. for the public service, my interview was all knowledge based i.e. Figures, grants info, expenditure, services provided that kind of thing, very little related too the job of a c.o. Is this the case for civil service?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

ladz wrote: »
    Does anyone know where i might find examples of civil service interview questions?
    Back when i was a c.o. for the public service, my interview was all knowledge based i.e. Figures, grants info, expenditure, services provided that kind of thing, very little related too the job of a c.o. Is this the case for civil service?

They won't ask you anything like that. It's all about the competencies for the civil service interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

allysangel wrote: »
    There’s 1617 candidates on the panel in Galway and 1187 on the panel in Mayo .

Does this mean I’ll get an interview or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭EO2019

A friend who’s a tco said that she called about co panel and they said they’ve started calling for interviews in some counties but are only interviewing when vacancy has been identified. So looks like no more panels just straight calling from your number from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 xavier28

Placed 881 for Leitrim I'm not very hopeful :P

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Ace of Hearts

EO2019 wrote: »
    A friend who’s a tco said that she called about co panel and they said they’ve started calling for interviews in some counties but are only interviewing when vacancy has been identified. So looks like no more panels just straight calling from your number from here.

That's interesting. Any idea on the counties in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Boxer50

Would a better order make more sense so, what do you mean by the age and gender comment??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Boxer50

Can someone answer this query I have, I was placed no 7 on Tco panel, answered the very same on the Co panel and placed 990??? I'm really confused!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Alv_M

Boxer50 wrote: »
    Can someone answer this query I have, I was placed no 7 on Tco panel, answered the very same on the Co panel and placed 990??? I'm really confused!

Less people would apply for TCO panel then pernament panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Linda2linda

Boxer50 wrote: »

I’m exactly the same. I answered answers same as TCO questioner. It’s a pain. I emailed TCO this week and my OOM has gone up by 30 they said because a number of candidates were reinstated to the panel this is very unfair. I scored over 1000 on CO panel. Not looking hopefully on any of the panels now 🀦*♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Belle23

EO2019 wrote: »

I actually emailed them earlier today asking for clarification on this, as from the stage 1 results email, i read it this way as well, that there would be no panels.. waiting on answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 telebingo94

Best of luck to everyone.

I scored OOM 626 for Dublin. Does anyone know if this is a good enough # to qualify for an interview?

I emailed them and they replied basically saying the same thing as on our message board - 'based on their OOM as vacancies arise'. Will just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Ek1313

Alv_M wrote: »
    Less people would apply for TCO panel then pernament panel.

I agree. And it's also based on experience.for example people who had 4 tco contracts done will be higher than someone who just had 1

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭SB1982

Ek1313 wrote: »
    I agree. And it's also based on experience.for example people who had 4 tco contracts done will be higher than someone who just had 1

TCO experience has no bearing on OOM for permanent roles or the OOM assigned to you. There is no crossover between panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pjcpolly

Thank you for your email. We will be inviting candidates in by the number of vacancies we have e.g. if we receive 3 vacancies for Dublin, we will invite only 3 candidates for those vacancies.

At the moment we only have a small number of vacancies for Co. Sligo and Co. Limerick and those interviews are being held today.

In past clerical officer competitions, candidates who chose two region choices were expected to come in for interview regardless of which region they wanted first. For the Clerical Officer 2020 – in which the majority of candidates have chosen two regions, it will run slightly different.

As an example, suppose a candidate has chosen Co. Sligo and Co. Limerick on their application form. When a vacancy comes in for Co. Limerick and we reach the candidate’s OOM, we will contact the candidate and notify them. The candidate will then be required to choice, if they wish to proceed with their application for Co. Limerick and be interviewed for that region only. By doing so, they are removed from the Co. Sligo panel. If they decide to turn down Co. Limerick, they are gone from that panel, and will need to wait until their OOM is reached for Co. Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Ok, if that's how they are doing it, i've no chance of an interview with an OOM in 150's in Kildare so :(

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Ok, if that's how they are doing it, i've no chance of an interview with an OOM in 150's in Kildare so :(

A bit disheartening alright. Nothing but Limerick and Sligo at the moment. Hopefully when things settle a bit there will be more chance.
    I'm nearing the end of my current contract as a TCO so I'm a bit worried that there will be nothing on either competition for a while.

Placed 24 on OOM fro TCO and 95 & 97 for CO in areas of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭xxsammyxx085

Placed no 35 for my county... Say a prayer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

pjcpolly wrote: »
    Thank you for your email. We will be inviting candidates in by the number of vacancies we have e.g. if we receive 3 vacancies for Dublin, we will invite only 3 candidates for those vacancies.

At the moment we only have a small number of vacancies for Co. Sligo and Co. Limerick and those interviews are being held today.

In past clerical officer competitions, candidates who chose two region choices were expected to come in for interview regardless of which region they wanted first. For the Clerical Officer 2020 – in which the majority of candidates have chosen two regions, it will run slightly different.

As an example, suppose a candidate has chosen Co. Sligo and Co. Limerick on their application form. When a vacancy comes in for Co. Limerick and we reach the candidate’s OOM, we will contact the candidate and notify them. The candidate will then be required to choice, if they wish to proceed with their application for Co. Limerick and be interviewed for that region only. By doing so, they are removed from the Co. Sligo panel. If they decide to turn down Co. Limerick, they are gone from that panel, and will need to wait until their OOM is reached for Co. Sligo.

This could actually be a good thing... the most over asked question on Boards is "If I turn down an offer for one county, can I still get an offer for my first choice?"... this will give candidates that choice but without wasting interview time on candidates who aren't willing to accept the offer of the county they were called for.

They will essentially be eliminating candidates from the OOM without interview and allow panels move quicker through genuinely interest candidates.

Plus, your not going to waste your time and money going to an interview only to be placed in a panel that later expires. If your called, it means theres a job waiting for you (if you pass the interview that is)

I think this could be a really positive step.

So if a kilkenny applicant for instance was placed 10 for kilkenny and 15 for carlow... but they want kilkenny... that will automatically bring me down a number for interview in Carlow... that seems to be a good system.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 positivepenny

Sligo and Limerick.

271 for limerick ðŸ§ðŸ€”🀞🀞.. know there are a number of roles coming in revenue limerick and courts (have friends in both sectors and they were saying that)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭doc22

This could actually be a good thing... the most over asked question on Boards is "If I turn down an offer for one county, can I still get an offer for my first choice?"... this will give candidates that choice but without wasting interview time on candidates who aren't willing to accept the offer of the county they were called for.

They will essentially be eliminating candidates from the OOM without interview and allow panels move quicker through genuinely interest candidates.

Plus, your not going to waste your time and money going to an interview only to be placed in a panel that later expires. If your called, it means theres a job waiting for you (if you pass the interview that is)

I think this could be a really positive step.

I'd disagree as you have no idea of where the position will be in a neighboring county or own county. So if you get an offer for one end of a county that's you off the panel for the whole county if rejected.

The panel will move at the exact same pace if not slower due to lack of spare candidates on panels,a position will come in and be taken by someone on the panel regardless. This move doesn't benefit candidates in any way it puts more pressure on them to make blind decisions earlier in process. In the grand scheme PAS aren't processing that many jobs in regional locations to begin with without adding this nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 18 climber123

Does anyone think that much positions come up in Galway? Were many placed in the last campaign?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

So if a kilkenny applicant for instance was placed 10 for kilkenny and 15 for carlow... but they want kilkenny... that will automatically bring me down a number for interview in Carlow... that seems to be a good system.

If you opted to interview for Kilkenny then you're off the panel for Carlow.

If you opted to interview for Kilkenny then you're off the panel for Carlow.

Would hope to interview for carlow.... but if kilkenny came up first I'd have to interview for there and forget about carlow...

Would hope to interview for carlow.... but if kilkenny came up first I'd have to interview for there and forget about carlow...

Yep...if you accept Kilkenny...if you refuse Kilkenny you have to wait for Carlow to come up and it may not be at the same pace. And your interview would be used for both areas.

You can hold off and wait for Carlow too but then you'd be off the Kilkenny panel if it came up first and you turned down the opportunity to interview for that region. Kilkenny and Carlow are reasonably nearby to each other so I'd probably just take whichever came up first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

If another candidate ahead of you choose to go for Kilkenny then yes they would be off the Carlow panel and you would move up 1 space.

If they turn down kilkenny, they would remain on the panel for Carlow but it would make no different to you because they were ahead of you anyway.

Advertisement