Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 KDBkev123

Thanks for the quick reply lads appreciate it, just sweating over what I’ll look like in what clothes on my first day! �� more calm now that I should be fine with a polo shirt. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sheep Man 5000

Hi Jack,

I'm from Kerry. I scored in the top 20 back in the 2018 campaign for Kerry and this time round finished just within the top 200 of Kerry. Cant understand how it is marked and I did much the same as 2018. How did you do? Where are you ranked? I cant see myself getting called for interview especially now during this difficult time and the panel seems to be only for one year this time round for some reason.
    690 oom for Kerry.

My wife was in the 1100s for the co panel in 2014 and got called in 2016.

I'm from Kerry. I scored in the top 20 back in the 2018 campaign for Kerry and this time round finished just within the top 200 of Kerry. Cant understand how it is marked and I did much the same as 2018. How did you do? Where are you ranked? I cant see myself getting called for interview especially now during this difficult time and the panel seems to be only for one year this time round for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭L390

KDBkev123 wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply lads appreciate it, just sweating over what I’ll look like in what clothes on my first day! �� more calm now that I should be fine with a polo shirt. Cheers

Have you started with this campaign ????

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sheep Man 5000

How do they decide OOM if you have same online test result as someone else (several others even)?
    Good question...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 manus35

KDBkev123 wrote: »

Jeez,you have to do an interview first ya know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭CivilCybil

How do they decide OOM if you have same online test result as someone else (several others even)?

Multiple people in the same county can have the same OOM if they have the same score.

I'm not sure if it's done like golf scores where let's say nine people get higher than me but another person gets the same. That would mean there is no OOM number ten and we're both OOM 11.
    Or if they just give us both the OOM 10.

I'm down to the last few for the executive officer panel and when I ask for an update they no longer say "your OOM is x"
    Now they say "there are x number of candidates ahead of you on the panel"

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Daffodil in Spring

CivilCybil wrote: »
    Multiple people in the same county can have the same OOM if they have the same score.

I didn't know that. Didn't think that would be the case just from my own view point.

I'm down to the last few for the executive officer panel and when I ask for an update they no longer say "your OOM is x"

That's what happened with my last request for update on this year's TCO competition and still a while to go to getting called for position.

I assume then that those with same OOM get called in same interview batch.

But what about deciding who get's position offer after interview leaves one on same OOM (if that happens at that stage)?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

I'm not sure if it's done like golf scores where let's say nine people get higher than me but another person gets the same. That would mean there is no OOM number ten and we're both OOM 11.
    Or if they just give us both the OOM 10.

One thing I did notice is that in 2018 the questionnaire was scored out of 800 while this year its scored out of 8000 (and there definitely wasn't a ten fold increase in applications) so that could mean that scores will be more precise and that candidate won't be sharing OOM's.

On that note, the usual line about candidates having the same OOM's was not included in the result message this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bluebells kkttuoo

I have to say I feel really defeated by my result, it’s been a real gut punch over what’s been a real difficult time. I wouldn’t mind but I’m not sure how I could even get higher oom. I’m usually quite optimistic and if I do face a set back I’ll do whatever it takes to improve my self but I have excellent IT skills, really good experience, education etc. and I still got a really really bad oom and maybe it is just luck as some have said but I’m not even sure if that makes me feel better as I still have that hopeless feeling of I can’t change it, I can’t take actionable steps to get a higher oom the next time. Happy for everyone else. I have a job so maybe it’s all worked out for the greater good and I hope someone that really needs a job right now gets one soon, that’s the only thing keeping me going with all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Belle23

Its mad how many people are saying they have gone down so much in oom from previous campaigns. I applied in 2014 and 2016 (but never followed through to supervised testing). Was placed 12 and 9 respectively those times at this stage. Placed 3 this time round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Belle23 wrote: »
    Its mad how many people are saying they have gone down so much in oom from previous campaigns. I applied in 2014 and 2016 (but never followed through to supervised testing). Was placed 12 and 9 respectively those times at this stage. Placed 3 this time round

Did you take a particular strategy when completing the questionnaire?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ShellBell89

Apart from Dublin where the majority of government department are based. I wonder how many vacancies will become available in other countries like Galway, Mayo, Roscommon especially when the panel is only staying live for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭xxsammyxx085

Apart from Dublin where the majority of government department are based. I wonder how many vacancies will become available in other countries like Galway, Mayo, Roscommon especially when the panel is only staying live for a year.

I'm mid 30s for carlow... not holding out much hope of being called within a year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Is there an executive officer campaign this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 KDBkev123

L390 wrote: »
    Have you started with this campaign ????

Sorry for confusion with the above. I have been appointed off the 2017 campaign... that’s how long I’m waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Belle23

Did you take a particular strategy when completing the questionnaire?

I tailored my answers around the competencies given and gave a strongly agree or disagree response as much as possible for each scenario rather than all 'on the fence' in the middle answers, even though as you know for some questions, two or more responses seemed adequate

For the 'about you' section, if I felt I was as good as anyone can be at a skill I said so, no point in having false modesty, it is a competition at the end of the day.

I'm also with the same company since before the 2014 campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭CivilCybil

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Is there an executive officer campaign this year?

I'd say next year (unless recession knocks recruitment on the head)

The last EO competition is still active. Ridiculously slow though. I think it's due to expire in January 2021 but then again they may extend because coronavirus has impeded any movement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Dublin 2018 EO campaign expires in August. There'd usually be a new Dublin one then.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Belle23 wrote: »
    I tailored my answers around the competencies given and gave a strongly agree or disagree response as much as possible for each scenario rather than all 'on the fence' in the middle answers, even though as you know for some questions, two or more responses seemed adequate

For the 'about you' section, if I felt I was as good as anyone can be at a skill I said so, no point in having false modesty, it is a competition at the end of the day.

I'm also with the same company since before the 2014 campaign.

Yeah I agree . The about you section I did exact same .
    I based my answers on other section on competencies and also as if I was answering like if I was in a department. Ie imagine what the person working there has to say to you when you are in the social welfare office . It worked as I've gone up OOM on the TCO campaign and top 30 Dublin . Hope that helps anyone for future campaigns.

The TCO interview process was competency based . Read the list of competencies and apply that as you answer.

Good luck to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5 avilaloca97

Interviews will probably be done via Skype? Has anybody got any word yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭xxsammyxx085

Interviews will probably be done via Skype? Has anybody got any word yet

No word yet... not thinking we will hear for some time with all that's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 katiem111

I did the test in 2018. Read all the material, practised the questions, prepared really well but got a terrible score. I over thought the whole process and tried to guess what they wanted to hear. Hoping for a better result this time.

mamaz wrote: »
    I find myself answering what is the worst case and the best case and then just fill the other two in from there. You don't know if you want to be an office snitch or if you're helping!

I know! Do they want a creep who runs to the boss or someone who can act on their own initiative? God knows 😶

GaGa21 wrote: »
    As a mature applicant looking for a career change, I found the last section on experience not the best.
    I am going to use the isolation period to work on those skills but don't know if my answers will be enough to get through

My daughter left school at 16, no leaving cert, worked in many jobs, got herself a few qualifications, in dept of defence nearly 4 years. Im 56, did awful in 2018 campaign, much better in this one. All my experience is private sector. Dont give up hope, you may have much more to contribute than you think.

I'd add boredom and the incredibly repetitive nature of a lot of the work and I mean incredibly;)
    I've worked in the private sector all my life where I had a lot of responsibility, made decisions, supervised staff, worked with Regional Manger and CEO, showed initiative,had weekly meetings/progress updates with staff and worked to a definite plan.
    I'm a CO since January and I find the work itself is the biggest issue. Money is crap but I'm a lot closer to home now that's good (this was the biggest reason I left private sector in Dublin) , Flexi time is great but overall the work is a head wreck because there's no challenge. There's nothing I can do about this - it is what it is.

Management is poor, there are no meetings to let us know if a work practice has changed, you just hear it from a colleague. There are no weekly staff meetings and zero training. The application process bears no resemblance to the work you end up doing. No point in saying you "dont like repetitive work" because that's what you'll be doing. Maybe this is just in my Department but I'm guessing its widespread.

I'd say this suits many people, its easy and there's no stress, but the way my brain is I need a challenge and to be active. You are definitely a very tiny cog in a very very big wheel. 3 people I started with resigned in first 3 months. They were in their thirties and fifties and worked in the private sector before. Its not the easiest transition.

Pros and cons to everything I suppose, boredom is the biggest issue for me.

I have worked in the private sector since leaving school. Only employee for 22 years in 1st job, isolation drove me crazy. 15 years in current job, no proper management structure, no meetings, no guidance, its insane. In the few years left of my working life, i welcome structure, policy, guidance and all that other boring stuff!

It was just over 6900

Well done you! I got 6824, ranked 22, so not too many applications for Mayo then? Could be a long wait though...

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Would anyone think i have a chance of seeing an interview this year at 951 for louth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Happyhammelknb

Would anyone think i have a chance of seeing an interview this year at 951 for louth ?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 30 positivepenny

Oom 271 in Limerick, what's the likelyhood of interview this year ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 climber123

Spotted this on the public jobs website. It's under covid updates - clerical officer 2020

Thank you to all the candidates who completed the online questionnaire for the Clerical Officer Campaign, over the weekend 27 – 30 March. Your efforts are appreciated, given the current situation.
    We still expect interviews to take place in May. Full details will issue in advance.

Advertisement