Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭abbeybella

fergald wrote: »
    Interviews taking place this week by zoom.

Are you in Dublin? my OOM is in the 900s for Dublin so think it will be unlikely to hear anything in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lass1

Yeah, which would suggest the vast majority of those taken on would be temporary. But hard to tell.

These are permanent roles as far as I am aware there is a separate campaign for tco

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ShellBell89

doc22 wrote: »
    I'd say an awful lot of annual leave will be taken by permanent staff once WFH stops too. Social Welfare offices have taken little off there normal intake of temps for 2020 yet due to social distancing

What's"WFH"??

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭applejunkie

What's"WFH"??

Working from home

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kenbug19

In 300’s for Kilkenny anyone have an idea of the chance of interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭shmeee

Yeah, which would suggest the vast majority of those taken on would be temporary. But hard to tell.

All the vacancies that arise from this CO campaign are permanent positions.

There was a temporary CO Campaign at start of year which is in action for temp rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Kenbug19 wrote: »
    In 300’s for Kilkenny anyone have an idea of the chance of interview?

Nobody knows tbh, especially given the current circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

shmeee wrote: »
    All the vacancies that arise from this CO campaign are permanent positions.

There was a temporary CO Campaign at start of year which is in action for temp rolls.

That wasn't the point they were making.

From a previous comment they heard the DEASP were recruiting up to 1000 additional CO grade staff to start in August but didnt know how many would be Temporary / Permanent CO's.

They went on to say they reckon vast majority of those 1000 would be Temporary CO's given the work needed to transfer people to JB/JA after Covid and that so many permanent staff would be due annual leave etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ladz

claregal1 wrote: »
    Yes - Pas are only calling for interview as vacancies arise .

Not necessarily there could be 1 vacancy & the first 4 candidates didn't qualify at interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭claregal1

ladz wrote: »
    Not necessarily there could be 1 vacancy & the first 4 candidates didn't qualify at interview.

PAS told me in the email response..5 vacancies for Limerick and 5 called for interview and have already been interviewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Carmol123

Anyone called in longford or cavan for interview

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jassgal

Anyone get a message this morning about expressing interest in a position in Dublin port? Looks like they are planning to start interviews in July

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Pasterickers

A friend got a message this morning, same details it sounds like. Any idea what it's like to work there? If they decline this offer for an interview is that them out of the running?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭niallmacsuain

Was told by PAS this morning that nobody has been called for interview in Dublin yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Jassgal wrote: »
    Anyone get a message this morning about expressing interest in a position in Dublin port? Looks like they are planning to start interviews in July

Is that with Agriculture? Some like it, somewhat easy job, checking the contents of imports all day, mostly outdoors, checking that onions aren't actually garlic, checking whether each horse or cow in a truck has a bollix or not so you can check if the value the importer listed for it is accurate, making sure there are no cigarettes hidden in the bails of hay.

It could be an easy guaranteed way into the service if you're doubtful of getting a job and like working outside and with animals, and farming stuff.

It may also be a 24 hour shift job. You do 4 12 hours shifts one week and 3 12 hours shifts every other week. At least one of those nights. and get a 25% pay bonus on your full salary for doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭L390

A friend got a message this morning, same details it sounds like. Any idea what it's like to work there? If they decline this offer for an interview is that them out of the running?

No its just an expression of Interest..you be still on the panel unless you go for it and get it ..

I'd love to know what it's like to work there if anyone has more information? I'd say it could be an interesting job for someone who isnt fully keen on the office life just yet.
    Also with the 25% wage increase it brings the starting salary to 30k

Also with the position with Dublin port is flexi leave an option? I know we probably couldnt work on the traditional flexi timetable of starting between 8am-10am and finishing between 4-7 but would we have the option of staying back after our shift to get work done and taking the time off the following month as "flexi leave"

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Icbaby

I'd love to know what it's like to work there if anyone has more information? I'd say it could be an interesting job for someone who isnt fully keen on the office life just yet.

If you express interest and get offered you have to take it or your off the list (I did it for revenue and got in, otherwise they may not have reached my OOM like the previous competition). It was a good way to get in!

Also with the position with Dublin port is flexi leave an option? I know we probably couldnt work on the traditional flexi timetable of starting between 8am-10am and finishing between 4-7 but would we have the option of staying back after our shift to get work done and taking the time off the following month as "flexi leave"

No. You lose flexi on shift work. There are lots of stories of people being permitted to leave early if its very quiet.

And there's no real work to get done that could be hanging over you, the trucks will be gone before your next shift, they aren't going to sit in the port and wait for you.

There can be a sort of unoffial flexi offered by some managers off the books. never in terms of days though, just swapping an hour or so with someone else. Or you work longer on a busy day to help and leave an hour early on a quiet day.

• Advertisement

What do you want to know, it's all in the job description they sent?

You inspect agricultural imports to ensure they are what they say they are including the lovely task of inspecting the genitals of livestock imports to ensure they match the documentation. I don't mean to be crude or anything but that's the job. At other times you'll just be checking that boxes of tomatoes contain tomatoes. You'll be outside all year round including during the middle of the night in winter, if a boat arrives you have to inspect it's cargo ASAP.

The reason this job is being offered separately is they can't get anyone to do it. Anyone that does get it usually quits or moves to a different position as soon as they can.

Thanks guys for the replies.
    I did read the description of the job on the attachments but it doesnt give alot of detail. From research I've been doing today I've had mixed Answers, some saying its 6am-1:30pm shift along with 1:30-9pm shifts and 24h shifts hasn't come into play yet? Others saying its alot of night work! I cant seem to get proper information on the position. Also as stated above many people who take up a position in the port tend to leave and I'm wondering why? They seem to offer this position every year early on so it will appeal to people looking to get in in a hurry

The full shift roster might not have started until Brexit that's when their workload will increase to 6 times what it currently is. I was looking into it last year and was told it was 24/7 shift work.

It's a tough job, that's probably why people leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hydration

Thanks guys for the replies.
    I did read the description of the job on the attachments but it doesnt give alot of detail. From research I've been doing today I've had mixed Answers, some saying its 6am-1:30pm shift along with 1:30-9pm shifts and 24h shifts hasn't come into play yet? Others saying its alot of night work! I cant seem to get proper information on the position. Also as stated above many people who take up a position in the port tend to leave and I'm wondering why? They seem to offer this position every year early on so it will appeal to people looking to get in in a hurry

Hi Jassgal,

The title of the position is Clerical Officer Portal Inspector. You could be sent to Terminal 9 or Terminal 10 and sometimes Dublin Airport. I am not sure what is happening at Terminal 10, but I know at the moment it is just day shifts at Terminal 9. It is envisioned that 24-hour shifts will be in operation by the end of the year in preparation for Brexit. Many Clerical Officer Portal Inspectors were hired last year for Dublin Port then redeployed a few weeks later to other Department of Agriculture offices as normal clerical officers around the country. A letter was recently sent to redeployed staff basically telling them they are going to be sent back to Dublin Port in the coming months. As GarIT said in his post, the workload will increase dramatically once Brexit is implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Messi19

Was this sent randomly or to people higher up the oom?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HungrySeagull

Messi19 wrote: »
    Was this sent randomly or to people higher up the oom?

I am just inside the top 100 and I received the expression of interest. Will not be going for it. Job spec does not appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Pasterickers

I know someone who received it and is within the top 250 in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

It looks like a good opportunity to me, If you’re a bit high in oom and need a job. Not the worst way of getting your foot in the door.. I’d have taken it, if I’d picked Dublin but I didn’t..

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Carmol123

Any update on longford interviews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭fergald

My wife did interview for Laois over a week ago now. Placed no. 1 so hopefully movement will be quick.

Advertisement