Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A fry-up in the morning. Is it unhealthy?

Options

Comments

If your mash is too wet to fry then you’ve made very bad mash in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I too would welcome the potato element to a fry up.

Perhaps in the format of 'Bubble & Squeak' as they have in the UK?

Not chips though. They're strictly Dinner food.

Mushrooms or beans I'd be grand with aswell.

The 'core' ingredients would be as follows..

2 sausages (Clonakilty good)

2 Rashers (Smoked medalloins good)

Black & White pud.

1 or 2 Runny fried eggs. (for dippage)

Half a slice of fried bread. (Added to the pan last to soak up the flavour)

Soda bread. (The health bit)

Toast. (optional)

Add Aromat or Brown sauce as you like.

All this will be washed down with a big mug(s) of proper builders tea. (none of that coffee muck!)
    TV
    And we're good to go.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to correct you on a few matters here.

Bubble and squeak is a nice idea for a potato element in a fry, I approve.
    But bubble and squeak must always contain cabbage (referring to your subsequent post).

I'm not a fan of mushrooms, myself, but I can see how they would fit in a fry but, seriously, beans? Beans? FFS. Cop on to yourself.

Toast is not optional. I've already spoken about toast.

Now for some serious talk.
    Medallions? Medallions? What the fcuk are you on about. I can only assume that you are talking about the "eye" of the back rasher, without the tail? Jesus. Why would this exist? Jesus wept.
    What next? Skinless sausages being acceptable?
    I've already stated that streaky bacon is preferable and you come up with medallions?
    I've run out of words.

Toast is messy and largely pointless with a fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I like a couple of nice fresh slices of bread with my fry. No toast for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The skidmarks on the toilet bowl will give you a rough idea! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That is not a fry. It is a hot salad with a rasher.

A proper fry has to include 3 sausages, hash browns, pudding, 2-3 eggs fried or scrambled, greasy mushrooms, 2-3 rashers. If you want something healthy then you can fry a half of a tomato but obviously you don't actually eat it.
    Big mug of coffee or tea is the beverage of choice.
    On a good day course number 2 iss pancakes with maple syrup.

Yes they are unhealthy.

How could any normal person face that in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Dakota Dan wrote: »

Don't forget a portion of chips as well.
    Should be sorted until lunchtime then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Any real man could eat that no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I could, and have.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Are you being serious? How could you not demolish that in the morning?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Podge201 wrote: »
    Any real man could eat that no bother.
    Ok Podgy 😀😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I don't know about "normal", but this marine can sure assault the likes of it. :D

In the matter of potato - I do like sauté spuds from time to time, and my take on tattie bread is a good big baulk of a thing about an inch thick with mayonnaise and a dash of olive oil as a binder, plenty of chopped onion and a good shot of thyme and parsley. I tend to have both of those as potato with dinner though, I wouldn't include them in a fry. I'm not overly gone on hash-browns either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Toast is messy and largely pointless with a fry.

So you just fork pieces of sausage, rasher and egg into your mouth like a madman rather than making them into a delicious toasted sandwich?

RWCNT wrote: »
    So you just fork pieces of sausage, rasher and egg into your mouth like a madman rather than making them into a delicious toasted sandwich?

You make them into a delicious proper sandwich.

Spot on

Toast is an absolute must with a fry.

Talking about a fry, airfryer is humming away with a full load of sausages, rashers and pudding for a good mid week feed for dinner! Fried eggs and chips* and a load of Batch toast and lashing of tea to complete the deal.

*part of a teatime fry only

Toast is an absolute must with a fry.

Talking about a fry, airfryer is humming away with a full load of sausages, rashers and pudding for a good mid week feed for dinner! Fried eggs and chips* and a load of Batch toast and lashing of tea to complete the deal.

*part of a teatime fry only

Fresh batch is far superior to toasted batch

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You put proper, Christian butter on the toast, and plenty of it, followed by two piping-hot back-rashers, and then relish, revel and savour the consuming of the resultant minor edifice. And don't be going around like some class of a Baluba.

jimgoose wrote: »
    You put proper, Christian butter on the toast, and plenty of it, followed by two piping-hot back-rashers, and then relish, revel and savour the consuming of the resultant minor edifice. And don't be going around like some class of a Baluba.

Dirty flaky crumbs going all over the shop. Sliced pan, pile of butter, and whatever you can fit in it. Dipped in the eggs.

Fresh batch is far superior to toasted batch

Not for me, it’s rarely I’d eat bread not toasted at home anyway. Always toast it for making sandwiches etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

jimgoose wrote: »
    If you can find a driver of a modern Actross or Globetrotter smelling of diesel then I doff my cap. That aside, I agree. "Oh Royal is the Routier... " ðŸ˜

Ahh, fannies who drive them new-fangled rigs with the jacuzzi in the back and the ambient music / lighting would only be eating cous-cous anyway.

I'm talking about real truckers who drive smoke-belching Hinos and eat Yorkies by the box load in between fryups.

The heel of the batch is class when you are lucky enough to get one three quarters of an inch or so thick. No point in ruining it in a toaster.

Wouldn’t agree there. That’s like taking the advice of a “white van man” on breakfast rolls.

You’re talking about people who would eat dog food if it were fried or “sopping” with grease, all washed down with a bottle of lucozade and a fag. Hardly a “refined” palate.

I tell you what, maybe try getting your breakfast somewhere other than a garage or shopping centre. Once we’re through to the other side of this crisis, of course. You’ll find there’s places far superior to the muck you’re swilling in one of those “Kay’s Kitchen” or “Kylemore” type establishments.

The last couple of breakfasts that impressed me, personally, were in The Hazel House at the foot of the Dublin Mountains and Castlemartyr Resort Hotel. Lovely stuff.

It was a dark day for the “upmarket” breakfast when the Millstone on Dame St took their one off the menu. Very dark indeed.

Then we'll just have to disagree. You can have a great fryup and you can a crappy one. The establishment is irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The heel of the batch is class when you are lucky enough to get one three quarters of an inch or so thick. No point in ruining it in a toaster.

Heel of the batch toasted with butter immediately deployed for maximum melting with marmalade spread on is the finest of all bread products.

Then we'll just have to disagree. You can have a great fryup and you can a crappy one. The establishment is irrelevant

One of those faux posh ones would be a nightmare if you wanted a proper fry.

One of those faux posh ones would be a nightmare if you wanted a proper fry.

Well said.

How can a plate of perfectly cooked bacon, eggs, sausage, black and while pudding, toast, tea, preferably a spoon of bubble and squeek style potatoes....then add your beans, mushrooms, tomatoes...fight it out amongst yourselves be fcuked with by the following:

A medley of

hand picked Romano tomatoes, drizzled with a hint of Himalayan salt
    "Award-winning" sausage sourced from the finest farms (IS IT ****!!)
    Bacon cooked to your liking accompanied by craft hand massaged fcuking pudding from the Golden Vale.
    A single egg, skilleted on a Teflon pan by Michael The Archangel

And a selection of teas that would make a Punjabi farmer spunk his bags.

Gimme peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Increase chance of having severe Covid19 effects.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Increase chance of having severe Covid19 effects.

Not necessarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Pound of sausages in the pan there, pot of tea drawing. Nice veg option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Not necessarily.

Eating significant amount of fried food negatively affects heart health.

Advertisement