Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will we fly again?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭acequion

Augeo wrote: »
    But folk reckon being desperate for a holiday is reason to travel to Spain, Italy etc etc
    Many of them were likely the same fncktards spieling on about rich kids skiiing that brought the virus in to the country when the guburnmint should have stopped them.

Wow what a righteous and patronising post!!!

I'm desperate for a holiday and preferably one to Spain which is a second home to me and I have loved ones there. I'm desperate for a holiday as I have found this entire period extremely tough and just before that I went through a rough period with illness and bereavement in my family.

Also, I'm far from a "fncktard", never spieled about rich kids or anybody for that matter as I'm not judgmental, and actually I do think it's the job of the "guburnmint" to set the rules. That's why we elect them and pay them handsomely.

So maybe realise that you're offending whole swathes of people with posts like that and drop the attitude. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Leo Varadakar said it himself at the briefing last week , not sure if it's actually been signed into law but if not then they'll be looking to do it ASAP

Leo and Simon Harris both called for 'tougher' enforcement, but said it would take a few weeks for legislation to be passed.

I've just checked the forms and Q&A and both still say that passengers are expected to self isolate. It seems legislation is still in the works?

With most of Europe reopening, I don't see how the Government can justify toughening up restrictions. 2 months too late!!!

BTW I completely support selective self-isolation for people returning from countries where COVID is still out of control (US, Russia, etc). But not a blanket self-isolation requirement, most countries in Europe are doing just as well or better than us.

https://assets.gov.ie/74201/e6cbf010ced64414b54e4ee59f5fa533.pdf

yeah maybe it was Harris not sure, cant stand either of them anyway.

Harris is full of sh** and has completely overstepped his mandate by telling people not to expect any form of travel this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Due to fly this weekend to the UK and flight hasn't been cancelled yet ,so im going to go for it not a holiday some family which cant wait, ill be coming back by ferry via Belfast though, fcuk that having to self isolate for 2 weeks, be grand going to the UK as it's been confirmed Irish nationals are exempt from the 2 week quarantine.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/london-confirms-travellers-from-ireland-to-be-exempt-from-covid-19-quarantine-1.4256622

Best of luck with it, I'll be interested to hear how you get on as I have a similiar journey planned in early July.

I'm currently deciding between getting the Ferry to Belfast or flying to ROI and claiming that I am travelling onwards to NI, thus getting rid of the requirement to self isolate too.

Also wondering how I will get on with the trip to the airport - even though to be fair the likelihood of being stopped at a checkpoint is very low at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

FrStone wrote: »
    Best of luck with it, I'll be interested to hear how you get on as I have a similiar journey planned in early July.

I'm currently deciding between getting the Ferry to Belfast or flying to ROI and claiming that I am travelling onwards to NI, thus getting rid of the requirement to self isolate too.

Also wondering how I will get on with the trip to the airport - even though to be fair the likelihood of being stopped at a checkpoint is very low at this stage.

ill let you know but by all accounts Irish citizens are exempt from this quarantine rule into the UK.

ferry is your best bet right now, a nightmare journey but you can continue your journey then without having to fill out any forms.

• Advertisement

ill let you know but by all accounts Irish citizens are exempt from this quarantine rule into the UK.

ferry is your best bet right now, a nightmare journey but you can continue your journey then without having to fill out any forms.

Wouldn't it be easier to just fly into Belfast?

BTW where did you see that Irish citizens are exempt from quarantine in the UK when arriving from the continent? As far as I'm aware even British citizens need to go into quarantine if arriving by plane from anywhere other than ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

GocRh wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be easier to just fly into Belfast?

BTW where did you see that Irish citizens are exempt from quarantine in the UK when arriving from the continent? As far as I'm aware even British citizens need to go into quarantine if arriving by plane from anywhere other than ROI.

It's nothing to do with citizenship.

Anyone arriving in the UK from the ROI is not required to self isolate on arrival to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭uli84

Sorry, im late on the news but looks like my Ibiza holiday I wrote about at some stage will go ahead in August unless some disaster happens, that’s great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Problem is once the ICU numbers hit 150 again its an automatic lockdown.
    So a little pain now or more pain later is the choice for the people of Ireland.

There always were selfish people always will be.

............ common sense is required, only travel unless you need to and wear masks and gloves and carry wipes and sanitiser.
    But folk reckon being desperate for a holiday is reason to travel to Spain, Italy etc etc
    Many of them were likely the same fncktards spieling on about rich kids skiiing that brought the virus in to the country when the guburnmint should have stopped them.
    acequion wrote: »
    Wow what a righteous and patronising post!!!

I'm desperate for a holiday and preferably one to Spain which is a second home to me and I have loved ones there. I'm desperate for a holiday as I have found this entire period extremely tough and just before that I went through a rough period with illness and bereavement in my family.

Also, I'm far from a "fncktard", never spieled about rich kids or anybody for that matter as I'm not judgmental, and actually I do think it's the job of the "guburnmint" to set the rules. That's why we elect them and pay them handsomely.

So maybe realise that you're offending whole swathes of people with posts like that and drop the attitude. :mad:

Righteous and patronising me hole, it's clear I was on about folk trying to dodge and ignore 14 day quarantine and who aren't travelling for essential reasons.

Direct your ire at them if you want, it's folk not adhering to guidance that will prevent your holiday.
    There always were selfish people always will be.
    Indeed

• Advertisement

Righteous and patronising me hole, it's clear I was on about folk trying to dodge and ignore 14 day quarantine and who aren't travelling for essential reasons.

Direct your ire at them if you want, it's folk not adhering to guidance that will prevent your holiday.

Indeed

You still don't get it. It's precisely people like you who think you've the right to judge people "not travelling for essential reasons",presumably your idea of essential reasons, that are the focus of my ire. Have you not enough to do to live your own life and mind your own business about others? Clearly not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Said it once and ill say it again. If Ryanair fly to Lanzarote in July im not prepared to lose my money. I'll be going.

You still don't get it. It's precisely people like you who think you've the right to judge people "not travelling for essential reasons",presumably your idea of essential reasons, that are the focus of my ire. Have you not enough to do to live your own life and mind your own business about others? Clearly not.

Essential isn't hollibobs.

Essential isn't hollibobs.

"hollibobs" is that a word?

Even your vocabulary says it all :rolleyes:

Have the last word if you must, I've better things to be doing than arguing with people like you.

"hollibobs" is that a word?

Even your vocabulary says it all :rolleyes:

Have the last word if you must, I've better things to be doing than arguing with people like you.

:D

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=Holibobs&amp=true

It's slang, which is why I was being sarcastic. Only adolescents use slang in adult debates and expect to win their arguments.

Earlier you had "fncktards" and "spieling" More slang. Use standard English if you want to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Unless the government gives a precise definition of what “essential” means, they will be subjectivity into it ... leading to perceived (and possibly real) abuse and conflicts.

But IMO anyone saying they have an essential journey to make, but that isolating for 14 days when they return isn’t acceptable to them is trying to have it both ways. Aside from very rare exceptions, if isolating for 14 days seems like it is too much to take, it means the trip isn’t that essential (dictionary definition of essential = an absolute necessity).

Id say the 14 qurantine is bluster from Harris. If he tries to impose this the aviation crowd will be on his case in no time. Its a bit like trying to keep the pubs closed until August.

Forget about it. This thing has been controlled as much as we can control it. Lets start to rescue the economy of Europe and Ireland again.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Unless the government gives a precise definition of what “essential” means, they will be subjectivity into it ... leading to perceived (and possibly real) abuse and conflicts.

But IMO anyone saying they have an essential journey to make, but that isolating for 14 days when they return isn’t acceptable to them is trying to have it both ways. Aside from very rare exceptions, if isolating for 14 days seems like it is too much to take, it means the trip isn’t that essential (dictionary definition of essential = an absolute necessity).

One question

If its not going to be safe for travel then why would the airlines have flights? Tackle it at source rather than expecting hard pressed, hard working middle income and low income families to take the hit.

All rational minded people want to get things moving again while the zealots enjoy curtailment of freedom.

At the end of the day it will all come down to the numbers. If they remain at controllable levels and there's no second wave, then life will return to normal sooner rather than later and that's everywhere.

A second wave could be detrimental. However it will come if it's going to come and no amount of over caution will protect countries forever. Getting back to the business of living, working, travelling, albeit cautiously, is the best course of action and take it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Just to remind those with flights booked to Spain. Even though Spain is opening up, it’s only to Shengen EU countries. Ireland and the U.K. is not included as we aren’t Shengen. I’ve not seen a change to yet from the Spanish authorities. Hotel owners etc may not be aware of this distinction.

The 14 day quarantine thing on return to Ireland is being made law with no expiry date specified. As far as I am aware it hasn’t been signed yet.

Your travel insurance won’t cover you if you fly when the Irish government advisory is not to.

I’m so eager to get to Spain too. As soon as the Spanish government gives the ok I’m over there! The quarantine on return isn’t a biggie for me as my work is currently online anyway.

faceman wrote: »
    Just to remind those with flights booked to Spain. Even though Spain is opening up, it’s only to Shengen EU countries. Ireland and the U.K. is not included as we aren’t Shengen. I’ve not seen a change to yet from the Spanish authorities. Hotel owners etc may not be aware of this distinction.

The 14 day quarantine thing on return to Ireland is being made law with no expiry date specified. As far as I am aware it hasn’t been signed yet.

Your travel insurance won’t cover you if you fly when the Irish government advisory is not to.

I’m so eager to get to Spain too. As soon as the Spanish government gives the ok I’m over there! The quarantine on return isn’t a biggie for me as my work is currently online anyway.

Grand so we will get a refund.

Just to remind those with flights booked to Spain. Even though Spain is opening up, it’s only to Shengen EU countries. Ireland and the U.K. is not included as we aren’t Shengen. .

What is your source for this? From what I can gather their transport minister, Albalos, is very keen to get the tourists back and I see no mention of Schengen and non Schengen. Would that even be legal to discriminate against non Schengen?

Also, the Brits holiday in Spain in huge numbers and many have holiday homes there. Again why would the French and Italians be let in and not the British or the Irish? Doesn't make sense. But I could be missing something which is why I'm curious as to your source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Greece is announcing its air bridges tomorrow, it looks like UK citizens will have to quarantine for two weeks
    Be interesting to see if Irish citizens will qualify as exempt from that quarantine on account of our good R number

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Greece is announcing its air bridges tomorrow, it looks like UK citizens will have to quarantine for two weeks
    Be interesting to see if Irish citizens will qualify as exempt from that quarantine on account of our good R number

My understanding, from what Greece’s tourism minister said today, is that the quarantine for UK citizens is subject to reciprocity. As soon as the UK relaxes quarantine for arrivals from Greece, then Greece will do the same for the UK.

It seems that this is all about politics.....not R numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Yep, politics & economics, that's always the way it was going to go in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

My understanding, from what Greece’s tourism minister said today, is that the quarantine for UK citizens is subject to reciprocity. As soon as the UK relaxes quarantine for arrivals from Greece, then Greece will do the same for the UK.

Yep some governments are completely silly about this, France is the same: quarantine is required for people coming from outside the EU or from an EU country imposing a quarantine to people coming from France.

No way Macron can give a medical justification to this: which countries require it is purely based on ideology and not on medical evidence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

What is your source for this? From what I can gather their transport minister, Albalos, is very keen to get the tourists back and I see no mention of Schengen and non Schengen. Would that even be legal to discriminate against non Schengen?

Also, the Brits holiday in Spain in huge numbers and many have holiday homes there. Again why would the French and Italians be let in and not the British or the Irish? Doesn't make sense. But I could be missing something which is why I'm curious as to your source.

Here you go. I have not seen a further update to this other than the health minister referencing being concerned about opening to countries like the UK where prevalence is high.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-spain-to-reopen-borders-in-july-but-british-holidaymakers-may-have-to-wait-11987693

Here you go. I have not seen a further update to this other than the health minister referencing being concerned about opening to countries like the UK where prevalence is high.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-spain-to-reopen-borders-in-july-but-british-holidaymakers-may-have-to-wait-11987693

Well solution is to visit Portugal (no quarantine) and then Spain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

There are a few posts about about Shengen on page 44 of this thread.
    I do not expect it be a problem, the only reason we not in is there is no land border so no need, we are part of EU.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement