Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

/dev/random/

1202122232426»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So the plot thickens, at least in the sense Eccleston has made more somewhat cryptic comments about his issues on-set. It now turns out his relationship with Russell T Davies wasn't exactly sparkly either.

As per the Radio Times' snippets from a larger interview,
    "My relationship with my three immediate superiors – the showrunner, the producer and co-producer – broke down irreparably during the first block of filming and it never recovered,"
    "They lost trust in me, and I lost faith and trust and belief in them,"

"Some of my anger about the situation came from my own insecurity, ... They employed somebody [as the Doctor] who was not a natural light comedian."

"When I left, I gave my word to [then-showrunner] Russell T Davies that I wouldn’t do anything to damage the show ... But they did things to damage me. I didn’t criticise anybody."

It's hard to know exactly what he means, but I can't help but think my original assessment is close to the truth: that on the basis of previous 'serious drama' work with Davies, he took on the Dr. Who role, and blew a gasket when he realised it involved running around battling fart-monsters, and having a weird will-they-won't-they with his teenage travelling companion. I can totally appreciate that if comedic roles aren't ones forté you might bristle a little bit, and I guess Eccleston overreacted?

He says it all blew up during the 'first block' of filming, and I'm pretty sure that was indeed the pilot (complete with plastic Mickey [ooh err]), and the Slitheen episodes - definitely the first seasons daftest, outwardly ... zany, portion. Perhaps he burnt his bridges too spectacularly after that to row back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tom Baker is bringing his Dr. Who film-script from the 70s to life via a novel adaptation;

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-11-23/tom-baker-has-written-a-brand-new-doctor-who-novel/
    Called Scratchman, the book began life in the 1970s during Baker’s tenure as the beloved Fourth Doctor, when between scenes he kicked around ideas for a new story for the series alongside Ian Marter (who played Harry Sullivan in Doctor Who), later writing them up into a script.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Whatever happened to the kid who designed the Absorbaloff?

Came across a trailer for another one of those animated adaptations of 'Lost Stories', The Macra Terror in this case. Must say the quality of the animation has improved, much smoother and expressive than previous attempts;

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭corkie

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Hope this is okay with the mods, I'm running a small Doctor Who-based game over in Forum Games, so if you'd like to join in, then please feel free :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058077937

Well, well: Christopher Eccleston returns to play the Doctor ... in Big Finish. Wonder if this might open the door to a TV appearance...

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/christopher-eccleston-returns-to-doctor-who

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Watched Blink again today.

Its as good as it gets.

This guy's retrospective videos have been shared before, and his latest going over the 11th Doctor era, is now up. Watching it is both fascinating and also kind of insane to think that Tenant's era started 14+(!!!) years ago now :eek:

It's also easy to forget just how big a cultural splash the return made at first, before it became just another part of the TV furniture. As well as just how ... well, horny and melodramatic the 11th era was!

A first trailer has appeared of Eccleston's return to Dr. Who, via the Big Finish label. Must be honest, it's super weird hearing his voice, in character, once again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I bought the android game "The Lonely Assassins" last week. Not bad. A kind of follow up to Blink.

Advertisement