Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭carsfan2

https://www.completecar.ie/car-news/article/10066/Volkswagen-details-new-Golf-GTI-ahead-of-Irish-launch

Approx 46k starting price for manual GTI in Ireland according to completecar.ie
    Will have 18” alloys as standard here.
    A 50k car with delivery, metallic, dsg I’m guessing.
    Also the 18” alloys are awful so need to upgrade them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

With the restrictions and working from home, I'm really missing not being able to drive my GTI :(

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

carsfan2 wrote: »
    https://www.completecar.ie/car-news/article/10066/Volkswagen-details-new-Golf-GTI-ahead-of-Irish-launch

The Mk8 could go the way of the Mk6 GTI with few selling here. I can't see too many willing to spend that much on a standard GTI with an inevitable recession on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

With the restrictions and working from home, I'm really missing not being able to drive my GTI :(

Think how the guy down the road feels who has a brand new BMW M4 he's got since March...
    Mine baby is in quarratine cost the same as his alloy wheel and tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭maddness

A 50 grand GTI is just wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say resale values of Mk7 and 7.5 GTis will stay strong if they don't sell many of the Mk8s. In saying that once you see a few on the road in the flesh they will probably grow on people.

maddness wrote: »
    A 50 grand GTI is just wrong

I agree. Too much.
    Though list might be irrelevant if VW throw discounts, finance contributions and 0% finance into the mix. It might make monthly price attractive which is how they really want to sell it anyway.
    I am still not sold on the looks, will have to see it in the metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I agree. Too much.
    Though list might be irrelevant if VW throw discounts, finance contributions and 0% finance into the mix. It might make monthly price attractive which is how they really want to sell it anyway.
    I am still not sold on the looks, will have to see it in the metal.

Funny they’ve never really had a good deal on the GTI/R, it’s always been slightly higher and some times way higher APR than the standard stuff.

It’s like the idea that they know they’re not going to sell a whole pile of them and someone who wants one, wants one and they’ll pay the 2 percent or 4 percent interest rate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

The outgoing 7.5 is also 46k so its not that much more expensive really, 7.5 R is 52k approx. Yes i agree its a lot of twine for a hot hatch but it costs the same or more to buy any decent hot hatch these days.

Megane RS €43k
    Civic R €52k.
    Cupra is up to €44k now and is an older model.
    Focus ST is mid forties too.
    I30N is probably best value but that's a few years old now so could be considered old tech.
    A35 AMG is €70+!

Ireland is just a very expensive place to buy a new car!

hooch-85 wrote: »
    The outgoing 7.5 is also 46k so its not that much more expensive really, 7.5 R is 52k approx. Yes i agree its a lot of twine for a hot hatch but it costs the same or more to buy any decent hot hatch these days.

Megane RS €43k
    Civic R €52k.
    Cupra is up to €44k now and is an older model.
    Focus ST is mid forties too.
    I30N is probably best value but that's a few years old now so could be considered old tech.
    A35 AMG is €70+!

Ireland is just a very expensive place to buy a new car!

In that context it’s not so bad. The current price is for a dsg PP though where the new car price is a manual.
    Car prices are climbing all the time, just disguised by pcp for many I think. I am a bit older so remember paying mid twenties in 1999 for a brand new golf gti. Fifty grand in my head just doesn’t compute for the same product!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Wheel choice is disappointing. None of those rims is remotely attractive imho. Hopefully the Pretorias will be an option.

j1n00oQ.png

............I am a bit older so remember paying mid twenties in 1999 for a brand new golf gti. Fifty grand in my head just doesn’t compute for the same product!

:)

Look at Tayto :D

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/flashback-to-prices-on-tayto-packs-1.450941

In the early 1990s a bag cost in the region of 14 pence, or 18 cent. Seven years later, the same sized bag would have set you back approximately 22 pence or 28 cent and it had climbed to 28 pence, or 36 cent, by the end of 2001, just before the euro was introduced. They are €1 now.

In 1999 your brand new Golf was 113,000 packets of Tayto......... a €50k Golf today is only 50,000 packets of Tayto.

Folk in low paid jobs were taking home IR150/170 a week back then..... half what a minimum wage gig would have you on today.

I think cars have gotten cheaper relatively speaking........ in 1999 a 5 series BMW or Audi A6 were not affordable to many, they are common enough now :)

The 1999 Golf for IR25k was a nice wad of cash ...... crisps seemed like good value back then though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

[PHP][/PHP]
    In that context it’s not so bad. The current price is for a dsg PP though where the new car price is a manual.
    Car prices are climbing all the time, just disguised by pcp for many I think. I am a bit older so remember paying mid twenties in 1999 for a brand new golf gti. Fifty grand in my head just doesn’t compute for the same product!

I agree - back in 2001 a 1.8t golf gti was similiar price to a 1.6 petrol A3 - bought an alfa 147 instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Comhra wrote: »
    Wheel choice is disappointing. None of those rims is remotely attractive imho. Hopefully the Pretorias will be an option.

j1n00oQ.png

Think the wheels on the bottom right corner would suit it nicely but I agree on the Pretoria's..... An epic looking wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭JoeA3

1.9% was the norm for a long time with the GTI/R. My R was 1.9% anyway in 152. If I recall correctly, they actually tended to offer the lower APR's on the higher spec cars, e.g. it was ~4% on a Trendline and 1.9% on Highline up.

The standard wheels are absolutely cack rotten, they managed to take the already ugly 7.5 wheels and hit them with the ugly stick a bit more. The 2 19" options in that photo look OK, the one on the bottom left was the one fitted to the car I posted a photo of here a while back. The Pretroia's might be reserved for Clubsport / TCR models, possibly coupled with Cup tyres.

Yeah 50k is a lot of wedge but a lot of buyers won't look at that number, its more about the monthly cost, required deposit, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭bbeeforsalmon

JoeA3 wrote: »
    1.9% was the norm for a long time with the GTI/R. My R was 1.9% anyway in 152. If I recall correctly, they actually tended to offer the lower APR's on the higher spec cars, e.g. it was ~4% on a Trendline and 1.9% on Highline up.

The standard wheels are absolutely cack rotten, they managed to take the already ugly 7.5 wheels and hit them with the ugly stick a bit more. The 2 19" options in that photo look OK, the one on the bottom left was the one fitted to the car I posted a photo of here a while back. The Pretroia's might be reserved for Clubsport / TCR models, possibly coupled with Cup tyres.

Yeah 50k is a lot of wedge but a lot of buyers won't look at that number, its more about the monthly cost, required deposit, etc...

GTi looks brutal and in the flesh I can’t see it being any better no matter how long it is around. The R is better but it never looked special anyway, I have one since 2015. Those wheels are also woeful. A friend who got a new Mondeo lately had agreed with the dealer to upgrade the wheels with ones from a higher spec Mondeo (different size) but this is not permitted in relation to emissions legislation as they were not a factory option size wise.

I’d say the Prets will be discontinued on all models.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Augeo wrote: »

In the early 1990s a bag cost in the region of 14 pence, or 18 cent. Seven years later, the same sized bag would have set you back approximately 22 pence or 28 cent and it had climbed to 28 pence, or 36 cent, by the end of 2001, just before the euro was introduced. They are €1 now.

In 1999 your brand new Golf was 113,000 packets of Tayto......... a €50k Golf today is only 50,000 packets of Tayto.

Folk in low paid jobs were taking home IR150/170 a week back then..... half what a minimum wage gig would have you on today.

I think cars have gotten cheaper relatively speaking........ in 1999 a 5 series BMW or Audi A6 were not affordable to many, they are common enough now :)

The 1999 Golf for IR25k was a nice wad of cash ...... crisps seemed like good value back then though

Haha, interesting way to look at it. Picturing rocking into a showroom now with a trailer full of crisps looking to do a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Love the Crisp comparison!

I'm not sure 5 series or A6's are more affordable to many of the people who buy them, I think access to cheap credit & PCP deals has convinced people that they can afford it. Additionally I think the celtic tiger drove more of a need to show off & people are willing to part with a more substantial portion of their monthly income to have something shiny in the driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

They definitely have got cheaper. My neighbour paid €75k for a new E60 520d in 2007, with the emissions tax regime came lower VRT so you could be an F10 520d for €55k when they first came out.

They definitely have got cheaper...........

2008 was key alright. A good friend of mine went from an Astra to a new A4 in 2008, the cheap tax and 50mpg made it great value at circa €34k iirc.

Loads of folk went from Focus type 1.4 petrol stuff to larger diesels around that time. Plenty sh1te on about how their careers advanced etc but it was mainly the vehicles getting cheaper that made it feasible for most.

Great example is the 520d.
    My neighbour paid €75k for a new E60 520d in 2007, with the emissions tax regime came lower VRT so you could be an F10 520d for €55k when they first came out......

€55k would get a 520d xdrive now RRP I think. (maybe, ish ? )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭JoeA3

They definitely have got cheaper. My neighbour paid €75k for a new E60 520d in 2007, with the emissions tax regime came lower VRT so you could be an F10 520d for €55k when they first came out.

Yeah I remember back in 2008, the 520d was the classic example of how the new carbon-based VRT/road tax impacted the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭theintern

Anyone have issues with the battery dying in the MK7? Never had any issues before lockdown, even when away on holidays parked up but now it looks like mine is on the way out. Even left a couple of days and it's sluggish to start.

Seems from other forums it happens a lot with the sebang OEM batteries?

Just my luck I'm just out of my das welt warranty and seems like it's a bit of an awkward job to replace myself? Has anyone done it and done the coding you need? Or how much will I cough up?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Would the warranty even cover replacing a dead battery? These are normally classed as wear and tear items not covered by warranty. Dead batteries are very common know as cars are parked up and not used for weeks or months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

for info if its any good
    i replaced my battery just there in March in my 2008 mark v gti €158 from main dealer.
    i looked over my invoices and in the 12 years of ownership i dont think i had the OE battery replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

A35 AMG is €70+!

A35 starts at €63k

A35 starts at €63k

Absolute bargain, I’ll have two so!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

A35 starts at €63k

It does but by the time you have any sort of remotely decent spec on it, you're at €70k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

SaintsYB wrote: »
    It does but by the time you have any sort of remotely decent spec on it, you're at €70k.

You could add 10% to any of the listed cars above so for exactly the same reason.

SaintsYB wrote: »

63 grand or 70 grand is insanity for a 300bhp golf R rival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Is it bad to say I remember Tayto going from 7p to 8p. Had a major impact on my life as pocket money from my grandad was 10p a day (although often a florin rather than a 10p).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement