Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

carsfan2 wrote: »
    That interior is very nice.
    I guess at this stage touch screens are probably cheaper to produce than physical buttons and they probably do impress some punters.
    Personally I hate them in cars.

I think heating controls are the only think that don’t work well on a touch screen. I have to say a car would look very boring and bland inside nowadays without a large touchscreen entertainment system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

bs2014 wrote: »
    Thanks, I prefer to get an ideal of net net pricing....cuz often garages offer you say 20k but in reality your only really getting 18k cuz the 20k is inflated.

I got 17k for mine in December, '151 84k miles, i think around 130kms. It was well specced and in great condition. Be prepared to be low balled from main dealers though, i got an offer of €13.5k from a local dealership a couple of weeks before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

bazz26 wrote: »
    VW seem to be persisting with making the Golf estate including a R version:

VW%20Golf%20Estate.jpg

VW%20Golf%20Estate-5.jpg

Ugly as sin but they sell bucket loads on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The new Leon and Octavia wagons are better looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bs2014 wrote: »
    Thanks, I prefer to get an ideal of net net pricing....cuz often garages offer you say 20k but in reality your only really getting 18k cuz the 20k is inflated.

The only true figure that matters is how much they want with your car to trade up.

• Advertisement

I agree. I was happy with the cost to change at the time and values on the R seem to be holding well since. I won't be changing it any time soon anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Rmgblue

New to this thread but need some help in deciding. I think iv decided on purchasing a golf with pcp at 0% interest. My car is valued at 6250 (garage a) in one and 6500 (garage b) in another.
    Garage A was pro diesel - he quoted me on a R Line Golf with 18inch alloys, metalic paint and winter pack.
    Garge B was pro petrol - he quoted me on a Style Golf 1.5l 150b. Same paint, alloys, winter pack and privacy tint on rear windows.
    Both same price give or take.
    Garage A wants 3.5g add on
    Garage B wants 2g add on
    I just want to know... When repayments will be the same what you would go for. What are your thoughts on petrol v diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I got 17k for mine in December, '151 84k miles, i think around 130kms. It was well specced and in great condition. Be prepared to be low balled from main dealers though, i got an offer of €13.5k from a local dealership a couple of weeks before.

Id be very happy with that price in 6 months time lol But at 17k did u change up to an Irish car that is 3k dearer than an import. As quoted coat to change is most important thing but ideally I always like to know how much my car is standing the garage and how much the car I'm buying then stands me. Oh ive had that local low ball stunt done on my last car and tbh turned me off the dealer considering they were the ones I bought my last car and serviced it with

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Oh dear... the Golf Estate remains a very ugly duckling. It's odd because SEAT seem to manage to make effectively the same car reasonably attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Ionised

Nice to see Cupras adhering to social distancing guidelines.

IMG-20200525-095347.jpg

FYI - I'm the one who managed to park between the lines :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

The coolant itself contains silica, the coolant in most new VAG stuff has no service interval, it's "for life" stuff. The silica is there to slow down the corrosion of the aluminium components in the system and the block itself. The problem that VW see is that the silica in the coolant can deteriorate and loose it's effectiveness thus allowing corrosion to happen in the system, which isn't ideal in a sealed for life system. The solution was to add an additional pouch of silica in the expansion tank that the coolant can "feed" from over the systems lifetime.

The problem is, the pouch is **** and breaks down, the silica gets out, gets all mushed up in the system and turns the coolant to sludge.

You can remove the silica bag yourself with a long nose pliers, you can see it as soon as you take the cap off. What's better (and easier) is to buy a new expansion tank and remove the dry bag, then swap it out for your old tank because if the bag in your system is brittle and you burst it on the way out, then you're ****ed anyway. No issue taking the bag out once you commit to a coolant change once every 5 years/ 100k kms like the older models.

**Bringing up an old post** My GTD going in for timing belt/water pump. I've suggested to the dealer about changing the header tank to a silicabagless one. (I had the coolant contamination on my MK3 Leon) so once bitten twice shy.

-Do you think there could already be contaminants built up in the coolant over time. The dealer wasnt convinced my Seat bag actually burst and a few people have said it could be sediment building up inside the radiator over time. A VW head office technican told me at the time it could be a bad batch coolant from the factory. The bottom line is nobody seems to know and its a pain in the hole whatever you look at it.

My main Q is: Its prob the best time to switch to a silicabagless header tank during the timing belt coolant change. It may not prevent 100% of the coolant problems but it will at least prevent the bag bursting. I won't have the car for another 5 yrs/100km most likely wont be changign the coolant again

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Lleyn elec

Has anyone ever had any problems with panoramic roofs in a GTD? Seen some differing opinions on them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Lleyn elec wrote: »
    Has anyone ever had any problems with panoramic roofs in a GTD? Seen some differing opinions on them online.

My 2016 GTI has a pan roof and zero issues thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Rmgblue wrote: »
    New to this thread but need some help in deciding. I think iv decided on purchasing a golf with pcp at 0% interest. My car is valued at 6250 (garage a) in one and 6500 (garage b) in another.
    Garage A was pro diesel - he quoted me on a R Line Golf with 18inch alloys, metalic paint and winter pack.
    Garge B was pro petrol - he quoted me on a Style Golf 1.5l 150b. Same paint, alloys, winter pack and privacy tint on rear windows.
    Both same price give or take.
    Garage A wants 3.5g add on
    Garage B wants 2g add on
    I just want to know... When repayments will be the same what you would go for. What are your thoughts on petrol v diesel?

It's the Golf GTI/R thread so the recommendation would be none of the above get a GTI or R instead.
    What ever you don't get an R line, it's a mutant that should be banned. If you like the R line get an R so you won't be embarrassed if any of us pull up beside you.

Lleyn elec wrote: »

The usual sunroof niggles, squeaks and rattles mainly, but nothing too out of the ordinary.

Actually I vaguely recall someone on here who had to have the whole glass panel replaced. Can't remember the reason now though.

Is this Tossys? Can see it on donedeal only Facebook..

Stage 3, 500bhp, MK7.5 R

https://m.facebook.com/groups/294178964055732?view=permalink&id=1727770577363223

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

Not mine, mines a 7 and only stage 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Lleyn elec

JoeA3 wrote: »
    The usual sunroof niggles, squeaks and rattles mainly, but nothing too out of the ordinary.

Actually I vaguely recall someone on here who had to have the whole glass panel replaced. Can't remember the reason now though.

Problems could be down to lack of maintenance so, not cleaning drains etc. I think a pan roof makes the car feel extra special!

OSI wrote: »
    Good luck to whatever poor bastard buys that car.

Do you know it, looks like he hasn't had it long. George should know it looks like they done the servicing...
    Is it a 2/3 second car...can't be miles off it..

• Advertisement

He's the second owner in Ireland and its a UK import so the third owner, but possible the first owner bought it brand new and imported it then. He sold it to Graham the guy selling it now and bought an RS3. It's a bit too heavily modded for me but no doubting it's a very quick car with a lot of money spent on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Rmgblue

It's the Golf GTI/R thread so the recommendation would be none of the above get a GTI or R instead.
    What ever you don't get an R line, it's a mutant that should be banned. If you like the R line get an R so you won't be embarrassed if any of us pull up beside you.

Embarrassed! Noted! Good sound advice drunken monkey. Il let the rest of them get back to talking about Seats

Embarrassed! Noted! Good sound advice drunken monkey. Il let the rest of them get back to talking about Seats

In fairness those Seats are a lot more relevant than an R line here...
    If you told us how much you want to spend you'd get a good few recommendation for a hot hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Why would he be embarrassed? R line is basically M sport or S line, even though they ain't high performance cars. Not everyone can afford a GTI or R but still want a sporty looking golf.

Wailin wrote: »
    Why would he be embarrassed? R line is basically M sport or S line, even though they ain't high performance cars. Not everyone can afford a GTI or R but still want a sporty looking golf.

Mutton dressed as lamb....his trade in alone would get him a nice mk5...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It depends on your driving. If you're not doing big mileage each year or hour long drives to work each way then go with petrol. Let us know what sort of driving you do, if it's frequent short trips to the shops or school runs etc.

The Style has better spec than the R-Line and has pretty much everything you'll need, just add on a few bits like the Winter Pack. Golfs are nice looking cars, I'd rather more spec than sporty bumpers but it's personal preference.

Is there a bit more room in the budget for a DSG auto? They're a fantastic drive, very smooth. If you go with petrol you get a mild hybrid with the DSG, reviews say the mild hybrid does actually save you a bit of fuel so it's not entirely an emissions gimmick.

Try get the service pack thrown in or at least half price, that will cover your first 3 services.

This thread focuses on the performance Golfs but everyone here is very knowledgeable about the Golf family so lots of useful advice here that would apply to the normal Golfs. Spec, tyres, maintenance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The only person that should be embarrassed is you. Why such the d*ck-ish responses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

It’s like me (a bloke) walking around in a dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

In fairness I read that post as a piss take, was it not?

• Advertisement

Do you know it, looks like he hasn't had it long. George should know it looks like they done the servicing...
    Is it a 2/3 second car...can't be miles off it..

He’s been doing a lot of over-sharing of his exploits in that car on Facebook.

Whether that makes it a dodgy purpose I’m not sure. On the flip side, he’s spent the lockdown washing and waxing it. It’s well minded and he’s spent a fortune on performance parts. If you know what you’re looking for it mightn’t be that bad a purchase at all. I’d be mainly concerned re warranty due to the modding, but mods can be removed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement