Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I've a couple more questions since ye were so helpful already :) What's the verdict on manual vs auto in the GTD? Can't test drive anything at the moment so wondering if it's a case of ruling out the DSG box immediately or not? I see a lot of them come with upgraded 19" alloys that I don't fancy at all myself purely due to ride comfort. Has anyone had experience driving on those wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,097 ✭✭✭User1998

If you buy the manual you’d probably be happy with it but after driving DSG now for a while I’d never go back to manual. You wouldn’t really realise how good the DSG is on a test drive, it took me about a week before I realised what I was missing out on I suppose.

Regards to wheels I changed the 18’s for 19 inch Spielbergs and felt no difference in ride quality at all. There was more road noise but you wouldn’t notice that unless you had been driving the car on 18’s and then changed for 19’s like I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

If youre doing city driving - then DSG is the only option. No question. If its all motorway and backroads, manual might be acceptable, or more fun. But DSG is just miles more convenient, and quicker at shifting gears if performance is a thing thats important to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭easyvision

I got a DSG GTD, i would never go back to manual. Driving is so much less hassle and the car feels faster as it changes gears so much faster. 19s are on the firm side, only time i really notice is on a really bumpy surface or I do have to slow down more for speed bumps than when I had 18s but its not dramatic in everyday normal driving

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Good stuff, thanks again. I'll absolutely test out a DSG in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I've had three VAG cars with DSG and like others, I'd never go back to a manual car again, even a performance car. My MkV GTI from a few years ago was a joy to drive. The paddle gear change is grand if you get the occasional urge to drive in manual mode. I think I used mine in manual once or twice but never bothered after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Manual all the way....

1bfe976d23215d5ea54d369a8b0c5e88.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Yes to put balance to it this is my first DSG car. I have a GTI PP DSG and tbh if I was back again I would off bought a manual one. I think if you enjoy driving a manual car a DSG won't convert you. Its a great gearbox and definitely faster at changing gears but it just takes a little bit of the engagement out of driving a car. Fair enough in traffic and around town its better and makes things easier. But for everything else manual is better IMO.

Only thing you need to additionally factor in is down the road a manual GTD may be more difficult to sell as everyone seems to want DSG these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Casati

CIP4 wrote: »
    Yes to put balance to it this is my first DSG car. I have a GTI PP DSG and tbh if I was back again I would off bought a manual one. I think if you enjoy driving a manual car a DSG won't convert you. Its a great gearbox and definitely faster at changing gears but it just takes a little bit of the engagement out of driving a car. Fair enough in traffic and around town its better and makes things easier. But for everything else manual is better IMO.

Only thing you need to additionally factor in is down the road a manual GTD may be more difficult to sell as everyone seems to want DSG these days.

How often does the DSG need a filter/ fluid change? Heard it’s an expensive job - Ie might be another factor to consider if your doing a lot of miles.

I’d be a fan of the 18’s v 19’s - even a side from the ride they seem to wear faster and 19’s are expensive for premium brands

Casati wrote: »
    How often does the DSG need a filter/ fluid change? Heard it’s an expensive job - Ie might be another factor to consider if your doing a lot of miles.

I’d be a fan of the 18’s v 19’s - even a side from the ride they seem to wear faster and 19’s are expensive for premium brands

DSG service is every 60k km not 100% on the cost but it’s around €300.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I think if you enjoy driving a manual car a DSG won't convert you. Its a great gearbox and definitely faster at changing gears but it just takes a little bit of the engagement out of driving a car. Fair enough in traffic and around town its better and makes things easier. But for everything else manual is better IMO.

I'm in the same boat. I had been driving an auto (8 speed ZF) before buying a manual GTI but just didn't warm to it. Auto is nice if you're mostly doing start-stop traffic, but if you actually enjoy the act of driving and like to have that extra level of engagement and control, a nice manual box is hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

If it's a diesel, buy an auto, doesnt matter how "sporty" it is, I wouldn't buy a manual diesel car when a good auto is an option.

On the GTI/R side though, the debate has pros/cons for both sides. If I had a to step into a fast Golf again it would be a manual PP having had a DSG before. No doubt after owning the manual for a week I'd miss the DSG though....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Nice one. I think a manual PP is the pick of the range. I haven't driven one but would imagine it would be the most craic.

Over two years ago and I was saying the same thing:o

From a tuning point you need to replace the clutch in the manual if cranking it up, there not cheap for an original feeling one. Dogbone mount makes a big difference when trying to keep the power down.
    No need to replace the clutch in the dsg but your paying a good bit more for the car in the first place.
    Looking forward to getting on a rolling road when this pandemic lifts to see how close my GTI is to a stock R.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Did you remap it? I have driven a Revo mapped PP and it was very quick, probably on par with a standard R but getting traction on anything but bone dry roads is the issue. On the move i'd say it was every bit as quick as my stock manual R.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Did you remap it? I have driven a Revo mapped PP and it was very quick, probably on par with a standard R but getting traction on anything but bone dry roads is the issue. On the move i'd say it was every bit as quick as my stock manual R.

I think I will eventually remap my PP with a revo stage one map that puts them at about 290bhp which would be perfect for the car IMO anymore is just wasted as you won't be able to get down the power. In stock form at 245bhp it just feels like it could do with a small bit more. I am not big into modifying cars but I think the likes of a stage 1 would make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I think I will eventually remap my PP with a revo stage one map that puts them at about 290bhp which would be perfect for the car IMO anymore is just wasted as you won't be able to get down the power. In stock form at 245bhp it just feels like it could do with a small bit more. I am not big into modifying cars but I think the likes of a stage 1 would make a big difference.

It's a slippery slope.... you and hooch can go the same day and get the stage 1 treatment :D

Apart from running costs and servicing - a good map is the best way to spend money on a car in terms of bang for buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

For a GTD I think DSG would be more than a nice to have.

As the cars get a bit older though, it's worth considering the reliability of the components too. If a DSG box needs a new mechatronics or clutch pack it can be eye wateringly expensive and if you dont catch a mechatronics failing in time you can end up needing an entire box. The worst a manual can need is a clutch kit really.

That said, I'd have a preference for DSG if it was money no object. There is no let up in power delivery with the speed of the changes.

I got one of these with the remap, thought it made a big difference, definitely not noticing wheel hop as much, good set of tyres helps as well https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-details/engine-hardware/mqb-chassis-lower-torque-mount-kit&engineid=181

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Fitted this today - instant 10+ whp:D

53612c4851c1d4e067e3a14985296d09.jpg

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 19,222 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I am going to pick up a 2009 mark 5 dsg gti next week.

Any recommendation in relation to small jobs that can improve the car internal/external would be appreciated.

Interior and exterior are in mint condition so nothing needed in that regard.

Thanks.

I'd not be a great pilot..... When I'd a manual GTi for a weekend jaunt I found changing from 6th to 4th at 160kph was a task Id happily have done without.

Fair play to anyone who reckons they can get the best out of manual one but I'd not be up to it on back roads either even driving sensibly.

I'd put an Android head unit in, get yourself Spotify, YouTube, Google maps etc, pioneer make good kit you'll probably find a lot cheaper though https://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/cip/Volkswagen/Golf%2520Mk5/2008/Navigation%2520Multimedia%2520Receivers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Augeo wrote: »
    I'd not be a great pilot..... When I'd a manual GTi for a weekend jaunt I found changing from 6th to 4th at 160kph was a task Id happily have done without.

Fair play to anyone who reckons they can get the best out of manual one but I'd not be up to it on back roads either even driving sensibly.
    If you pick up a manual you really need to pick up all of these, it fixes the gearing and makes it 100 times better to drive:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-apr-parts/adjustable-short-shift-kit-for-6-speed-manual-transmissions/ms100103~apr/
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/solid-shifter-cable-bushing-upgrade-kit-rectangle-85mm-round-10mm/003929ecs0102akt/
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-integrated-engineering-parts/solid-cable-shifter-bracket/iedtca1~int/
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/adjustable-clutch-pedal-stop/018733ecs01~a/
    Its about 500-600 including delivery but I found it changed the feel of the car completely and it was worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I ordered an adjustable clutch pedal stop earlier today, interested also in a short shift kit. Did you fit the kit yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

eljono wrote: »
    I ordered an adjustable clutch pedal stop earlier today, interested also in a short shift kit. Did you fit the kit yourself?
    Yea I fitted it myself, its very easy to do.
    The part that made the biggest difference to my car is this though:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/solid-shifter-cable-bushing-upgrade-kit-rectangle-85mm-round-10mm/003929ecs0102akt/

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

VW do a short shift kit too for the Mk7/7.5, part # 5Q0711046K

Not sure what its like price wise as I am not up on what Mk6 GTIs make. But this is a nice example unusual colour and I doubt there are many mk6 going around with Dynaudio.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2010-volkswagen-golf-gti/24693058

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,222 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement