Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

After reading that description in the advert I'd say dealing with that seller would be a head melter. The line about having to prove you have 8,500 in your pocket to meet a complete stranger for the first time before you can get behind the wheel would just do my head in while in the same breath mentioning the phrase "testing the water" stinks of hypocrisy in that he is as bad as the tyre kickers he is trying to avoid.. I know there are test pilots out there but unfortunately that's part of the territory of selling these type cars to joe public, as a buyer I just won't go through the hassle of dealing with that ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Yes I thought the same fair enough it’s an edition 30. But still ultimately a 13 year old 8k Golf. I doubt the whole country is going to be rushing to his house for the chance to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I've seen that ad posted on the Autostadt FB classifieds. The seller looks like a kid not long out of short pants so I think the passive-aggressive wording in the ad doesn't quite fit the face...

The Ed 30 are a lovely car and it does look like a nice one to be fair. But yeah it is a 13 year old Golf, the market for it at 8.5k will be small.

I very much doubt any insurance company is going to transfer your insurance for 30 mins either. I’ve never been asked for anything like that in a private viewing/test drive and most would have cost more and some more powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

everlast75 wrote: »
    I am going to pick up a 2009 mark 5 dsg gti next week.

Any recommendation in relation to small jobs that can improve the car internal/external would be appreciated.

Interior and exterior are in mint condition so nothing needed in that regard.

Thanks.

Might be a bit late but make sure you check the tax bracket on that before you buy!

Edit Belated on the Manual vs DSG thing I would probably buy either in the GTI but the R really has to be DSG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I think the previous two Golfs I saw there were strong money also. Not far off VW money from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Is that not an old Gerry Cummesky site?

Looks very familiar from old pictures they used to put up. I just presumed they used it as a trade site from the Vw garages

L-M wrote: »
    Is that not an old Gerry Cummesky site?

Looks very familiar from old pictures they used to put up. I just presumed they used it as a trade site from the Vw garages

It is indeed. It’s an independent dealers now, the Barnes chap used to work there when it was Cumiskeys. He does seem to get nice clean stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Anybody know what they are like to deal with? Trustworthy? They always seem to get nice GTIs and Rs.

• Advertisement

Anybody know what they are like to deal with? Trustworthy? They always seem to get nice GTIs and Rs.

I came very close to buying something tasty off him when it was Cumiskeys. Found him a decent enough fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

The prices always end in 900 too. Went in for a look at a gti he had last year, nice guy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭carsfan2

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I can't see VAG stepping on the toes of the RS3 with a Golf R+.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

nice idea though....

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

There looks to be a new Clubsport in testing already. Those tailpipes remind of Audi RS pipes.

https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/golf-gti-clubsport/202611/volkswagen-golf-gti-clubsport-spied-ready-to-rejoin-gti-range

• Registered Users Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

SaintsYB wrote: »
    There looks to be a new Clubsport in testing already. Those tailpipes remind of Audi RS pipes.

https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/golf-gti-clubsport/202611/volkswagen-golf-gti-clubsport-spied-ready-to-rejoin-gti-range

Ugly as fu*k

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭mk7r

Anyone have a 191 onwards R? They have removed the second injectors that they added to help with carbon issues, removal started from late 2018 production and the carbon is meant to be even worse than it was before :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

carsfan2 wrote: »

400 ponies in a golf... crazy carry on.
    mk7r wrote: »
    Anyone have a 191 onwards R? They have removed the second injectors that they added to help with carbon issues, removal started from late 2018 production and the carbon is meant to be even worse than it was before :(

It's a backward step by VW but probably won't effect anyone buying new and trading up after a few years, the market will eventually be flooded with mid 200bhp golf R's though.

tossy wrote: »
    400 ponies in a golf... crazy carry on.

It's a backward step by VW but probably won't effect anyone buying new and trading up after a few years, the market will eventually be flooded with mid 200bhp golf R's though.

Possibly but from a few posts I have seen it takes less than 10k miles to be pretty badly blocked up. Could be clogged solid by the end of a 3 year PCP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Possibly but from a few posts I have seen it takes less than 10k miles to be pretty badly blocked up. Could be clogged solid by the end of a 3 year PCP

I think my old S3 was cleaned for the first time after 60k Miles the inlet ports were pretty bad, cleaning them out made some difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Its not a massive job to get the ports cleaned if you did own one in fairness. The consensus on the various UK groups is that the best R is the 7.5 with the 310 ps engine, these were pre-wltp so don't have the coking issues iirc. The mk7 cars don't either as far as i am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭carsfan2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I've read this on a few forums over the last few days. If I was getting a new one, I would budget this in to make sure I don't have to worry about this issue.
    http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=240_298&products_id=998
    I've seen a few US Golf R owners fit these to solve the issue (All US versions don't have these injectors)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I can't get over how awful them lights look at the bottom of the bumper.

deceit wrote: »
    I've read this on a few forums over the last few days. If I was getting a new one, I would budget this in to make sure I don't have to worry about this issue.
    I've seen a few US Golf R owners fit these to solve the issue (All US versions don't have these injectors)

Nice idea in theory but that would be warranty out the window and the amount of steady state remapping through the rev range that would be needed after adding another set of injectors would be expensive :(
    I wonder could the pre 2019 system be retrofitted (ECU, mpi rail, injectors etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

deceit wrote: »
    I can't get over how awful them lights look at the bottom of the bumper.

I like them, always thought they looked cool on the RS Megane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

GTI Mk 8 virtual launch covered by Bob Flavin:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

Clip of the mk viii golf r being tested on the nurburgring if it hasn't been posted already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I have a 192 Cupra 290, which is the same engine as the GTI TCR - I presume I will have the same carbon issues too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement