Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

Does anyone have some insights on how good the GTD is on fuel? My average with the ST with motorway driving is 10L/100km or 28mpg, so I'd want to be getting a fair improvement on that.............

I've no experience of a GTD but I drove an Octavia VRS Combi diesel around Austria, a week of pootling in and out from hotel to a factory and a 250km return trip to near Italian border largely on motorway returned 49mpg......no really high speed stuff.

I'd a Golf GTi for a Munich to Stuttgart run and that did 28mpg ...... lots of that was over 130mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I'm looking to get on board the GTD train. My heart is broken but due to a new job and a long commute several times a week, I need to sell my petrol Focus ST for something more economical. The Mk7 GTD seems to be a good choice for performance without crying at the pumps every week.

Does anyone have some insights on how good the GTD is on fuel? My average with the ST with motorway driving is 10L/100km or 28mpg, so I'd want to be getting a fair improvement on that.

Is there anything I need to look out for between model years ie. avoid 2014, go for 2015 etc? Do they all come with roughly the same extras or is there anything that I should absolutely hold out for?

What's sort of mileage are you doing annually? You'll average about 45-48mpg in a GTD from my experience. I was similar to you, went from a Fiesta ST to a GTD, kept it 18 months and traded it for a Golf R. I think the price difference you pay at the pumps is worth, reasonably fast diesels are fine but they will bore you eventually. They also depreciate a lot more than petrols.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I was in the perfect position for a thirsty(ish) petrol, doing roughly only 15,000km over the past 2 years I've owned it. My new commute is around 240km round trip 2-3 times per week, so in total I'm estimating 25-30,000km yearly. I think 45-48mpg would be pretty acceptable. I know I could buy something even more economical but I'll miss the performance too much. I just have to accept some boredom until I manage to swing 100% remote working in my new place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭Casati

I was in the perfect position for a thirsty(ish) petrol, doing roughly only 15,000km over the past 2 years I've owned it. My new commute is around 240km round trip 2-3 times per week, so in total I'm estimating 25-30,000km yearly. I think 45-48mpg would be pretty acceptable. I know I could buy something even more economical but I'll miss the performance too much. I just have to accept some boredom until I manage to swing 100% remote working in my new place :)

Do you need to trade in? If not would you consider a GTE - it’s not a GTI or Focus ST maybe a better compromise than a GTD. good value on them importing as VRT is very low

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭User1998

Casati wrote: »
    Do you need to trade in? If not would you consider a GTE - it’s not a GTI or Focus ST maybe a better compromise than a GTD. good value on them importing as VRT is very low

I have a GTE and would only recommend one to someone doing short trips, no point getting one if your doing long motorway journeys like he is. GTE has 205 bhp but its a lot heavier so its actually slightly slower than the GTD. They are also more expensive to buy and would cost more to run than a GTD if your doing mostly motorway commutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭Casati

User1998 wrote: »
    I have a GTE and would only recommend one to someone doing short trips, no point getting one if your doing long motorway journeys like he is. GTE has 205 bhp but its a lot heavier so its actually slightly slower than the GTD. They are also more expensive to buy and would cost more to run than a GTD if your doing mostly motorway commutes.

I thought they were still a lot better than a GTI on the motorway as they are a hybrid? I know they won’t beat the diesel but wouldn’t they be a decent compromise? If the performance is actually less than the GTD then it might be too much of a jump from an ST

Yeah definitely better economy than a GTI, I think I get 45 mpg on the motorway. The petrol tank in them is tiny tho and the motorway is the last place you want a hybrid, it’s basically just a heavy 1.4 tsi, the battery doesn’t do much at motorway speeds, its in town when it works well as the engine only kicks in when you accelerate hard. (Or stays off completely if you want full E mode).

GTD is meant to be a lot better in the bends as well with it being lighter but that’s just from reading several reviews and comparisons before buying the car, I have no actual experience of a GTD. And when I say slower I think it’s something like 0.1 or 0.2 seconds slower to 100 than the GTD so negligible really

I'd prefer to go the trade in route yes. Have no money on the car and would like to hand over as little as possible in the swap. Not against the GTE at all but as User1998 says, it probably isn't the best option for motorway driving. I'm still open to other cars but so far all my research has brought me back to the GTD.

I see a 141 example on donedeal with an 8" touch display. Could this be OEM?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'd prefer to go the trade in route yes. Have no money on the car and would like to hand over as little as possible in the swap. Not against the GTE at all but as User1998 says, it probably isn't the best option for motorway driving. I'm still open to other cars but so far all my research has brought me back to the GTD.

I see a 141 example on donedeal with an 8" touch display. Could this be OEM?

Post a link to it.

Irish cars before late 2014/early 2015 were poorly spec'd as standard. You might be lucky and find a relatively rare one that was spec'd up from new. Plus the market is flooded with UK imports and those cars have a generally OK spec relative to early Irish cars.

What model/year ST do you have?

• Advertisement

This is the one here. Extras seem pretty decent. Would rather leather, but the tartan cloth looks OK to me too. https://www.donedeal.ie/adview/view/23787986

hooch-85 wrote: »
    What model/year ST do you have?

2013 pre-facelift. It's an ST3 with city pack, drivers assistance pack, reversing camera, cruise control etc. Has every ST extra available apart from style pack.

That's upgraded pro nav unit. Its OEM, have it in my R. Mileage is pretty high on that. This is one of tge best specced ones ive seen. Original irish car too.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-mk7-gtd/24620942

hooch-85 wrote: »
    That's upgraded pro nav unit. Its OEM, have it in my R. Mileage is pretty high on that. This is one of tge best specced ones ive seen. Original irish car too.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-mk7-gtd/24620942

Looks very well specced. Any concerns with a model from back in 2013? Would that have been one of the first batch of mk7s sold?

I'm fairly stuck on a trade-in at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

This is the one here. Extras seem pretty decent. Would rather leather, but the tartan cloth looks OK to me too. https://www.donedeal.ie/adview/view/23787986

Nice spec on it, pano roof, bigger Nav and Dynaudio - all big ticket extras when it was new.

Its a UK car originally for sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

A 7.5 GTI will knock out 40mpg on a long spin as long as your not rallying it.
    How long will it take to see the benefit of the fuel saving after selling the RS, can you tune it to help economy a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

UK car alright, condition alert against it also.

I've only an ST so they should be similar value. I hope I wouldn't be handing much cash over. I've estimated between tax and fuel I'll be saving around €1300 a year on my commute alone, so makes it worth a change. I bought my ST with high enough mileage (120k km on it now) so if I start using it for a long commute it won't be long before it's worth far less.

What's a condition alert?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Could be anything from a write off to a flood etc etc

Very few dealers will take “little cash” when you’re trying to trade in something of what you think is similar value. You’re going to be better off trying to sell yours privately first

Similar value trade in could mean 3 to 4k plus cost to change.

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    40 is spring afternoon at ten below the limit with no A/C, fresh tyres and a tail wind territory if you’re super diligent and driving a manual. No way you’d get anywhere near that long term.

And if you drove the GTD in a similar way you would be getting into the 50’s mpg.

You can’t compare a GTi driven like a nun to a GTD driven normally to make the mpg figures look closer.

Diesel also costs less than petrol which is often forgotten in making these comparisons.

Thanks for the advice fellas. I might have to be patient and try to sell my own privately first going by that. I think it's still worth around 16 so I wouldn't be willing to give cash in a trade for a car worth around 15.

Also on the above, I think I could get 40mpg from the focus too if I tried really hard but that's not why I bought it!

Can't see you getting €15k for a 13 reg ST to be honest, especially not in a trade in you'll be lucky to be offered 12. The facelift ones from 16 on are only making €17-18k.

I traded my 16 reg Fiesta in July 18 and got 15 for it, it was 2 and half years old and immaculate, Ford's are not a great car to hold their value.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The problem is that a Golf GTD even with high miles will sell all day long, a Focus ST petrol won't. A dealer will value it low in anticipation of having to sit on it for a good while until it sells. Also you will never get a true value on your car trading sideways, the dealer also has to make money on the deal as well as put a warranty on the car you are buying from them.

.......... My new commute is around 240km round trip 2-3 times per week, so in total I'm estimating 25-30,000km yearly. I think 45-48mpg would be pretty acceptable. I know I could buy something even more economical but I'll miss the performance too much. I just have to accept some boredom until I manage to swing 100% remote working in my new place :)
    Also on the above, I think I could get 40mpg from the focus too if I tried really hard but that's not why I bought it!

30,000kms at 50mpg at €1.30/l diesel is €2213.25
    30,000kms at 30mpg at €1.40/l petrol is €3972.5
    30,000kms at 35mpg at €1.40/l petrol is €3405

If you reckon you'll be changing again once you swing 100% remote working the fuel savings might well not be enough to have made it worthwhile.

Depends on how easy it is to get what you reckon your ST is worth privately I suppose :)

That's just my own valuation. They're rare enough over here in orange and in ST3 trim too with every extra offered apart from the style pack. I'd probably let it go for a bit less than 16 but I think if I held out long enough, I'd find someone who'd go close enough. I could be wrong :)

edit: I should be clear, I wouldn't expect 16 from a dealer, that's the very max I'd set my hopes on for a private sale. I understand a trader will offer less with having to make a profit.

Augeo wrote: »
    30,000kms at 50mpg at €1.30/l diesel is €2213.25
    30,000kms at 30mpg at €1.40/l petrol is €3972.5
    30,000kms at 35mpg at €1.40/l petrol is €3405

That's the dilemma alright. I've no idea when I'll manage that. I just don't want to end up wasting a couple grand on fuel needlessly over 2 years let's say. It's all money I'd prefer to put towards a GTI, R or an S3 even, when I'm doing less miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

What economy would you realistically see from a GTE? Hybrid and electric seem to lose their efficiency over 100kph, if you're doing 120kph all day it could be like a heavier 1.4 TSI Golf so you may not see much benefit there but every day driving and short trips would obviously benefit and you'll still have decent power.

The GTE apparently does 0-100 in around 6.5-6.8, not 7.6 as VW say so it does perform pretty well. It would also benefit from a remap, as would the GTD. Apparently a remap really livens up the GTD too so that's worth looking into.

I like the GTE, you get decent performance without high running costs.

The economy of plug in hybrids really varies from person to person. My long term average was something like 120mpg but I barely even used the engine. You might only get 30mpg if you drive it in GTE mode and never charge it. I mentioned earlier that on the motorway it’s essentially a heavy 1.4 tsi, 50mpg or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 orangeparrot

Looks like my Cupra may be up for sale in the coming months. Any thoughts on what it may be worth? Hard to find examples out there. 151 Cupra 280, 64,000kms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement