Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Augeo wrote: »
    They couldn't limit the number of customers inside the shop to 8, it's no ones fault but their own that they couldn't manage that.

No mention of anything else on their facebook page. Telling folk what to do on facebook isn't really enough.

No , its entirely the fault of the people who couldn't adhere to a simple social distancing rule. KCs didn't need to tell their customers to not squeeze up against each other. The social distancing rule has been ordered by the government and has been put in place everywhere.
    Its the mongs in the que who are to blame , not KCs.

On facebook they said they need to limit niumbers in shop to 8 and to wait at door to facilitate that.
    That, is a p1ss poor attempt at managing your customers (who are likely mongs as you say)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

KC's could have done 1 simple thing - close door, take orders over phone only and deliver out the window. Their efforts to encourage social distancing were piss poor. Other chippers can do it, so why not them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Burty330 wrote: »
    No , its entirely the fault of the people who couldn't adhere to a simple social distancing rule. KCs didn't need to tell their customers to not squeeze up against each other. The social distancing rule has been ordered by the government and has been put in place everywhere.
    Its the mongs in the que who are to blame , not KCs.

Also - you can't possibly be at the till paying and not be less than 1 metre from the others in the queue, the layout doesn't allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

dulpit wrote: »
    Also - you can't possibly be at the till paying and not be less than 1 metre from the others in the queue, the layout doesn't allow it.

What doesn't allow 1 meter separation at the till is people standing in the doorway.
    The instructions were very simple and easy to follow. Stand outside and don't enter the shop until the person in front of you has advanced to the recommended distance.
    Not standing in the doorway blocking people leaving is a simple practice in theory.
    Clearly is was too difficult for the many to queued there over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Be right back

Lots of hotels and shops closing temporarily around the city and county.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Debenhams pulling out of Ireland

Staff were told none of the 11 Irish stores will reopen.

Terrible news for staff

https://twitter.com/whytebarry/status/1248219581853978624?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Be right back

That's desperate. The poor staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Losing debenhams will rip the heart out of that part of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Losing debenhams will rip the heart out of that part of the city.

Losing Roche's Stores was a huge loss to the city centre.
    I fail to really see what Debenham's brought to the city.
    It will be a very big unit to fill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RINO87

Big loss...I think I read that the Roche family still owns the buildings that Debenhams took over, I wonder would they consider re-opening in their old buildings??

Personally, they were one of the better shops from a menswear perspective so I will miss not being able to go in there and try stuff on etc... Not a big fan of buying clothes on line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Bad news about Debenhams...

Have a puncture in my car tire, anywhere opened to get it plugged, west side of the city...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Losing Roche's Stores was a huge loss to the city centre.
    I fail to really see what Debenham's brought to the city.
    It will be a very big unit to fill.

They weren't a patch on Roches for mens clothes or for service. I tried buying online from Debenham's twice and on both occasions it was a disaster. I'm surprised that they've lasted this long, I'd pass the Patrick Street store on an almost daily basis and it seems they have permanent sales on which many took as a bad omen, but it's still going to be a massive blow to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Seamai wrote: »
    They weren't a patch on Roches for mens clothes or for service. I tried buying online from Debenham's twice and on both occasions it was a disaster. I'm surprised that they've lasted this long, I'd pass the Patrick Street store on an almost daily basis and it seems they have permanent sales on which many took as a bad omen, but it's still going to be a massive blow to the city centre.

The constant "sales" thing was a strategy they employed since they opened here. I remember commenting on how quiet the place was in the few days after Christmas 18, there was maybe 20 people in the whole store. Would have been thronged in the Roches days. Can't see what would be going in there. I see it be split up into temporary pop-ups and then who knows. It'll require a whole new way of thinking.

I'm reminded of the state of retail in the US. Where these huge mails are going out of business at an astonishing rate. Nothing really takes over. Some good youtube series on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

I really liked debenhams. Bought alot there for myself and all our household. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Strangely their website is still taking orders. Will they just stick to online or are they completely shutting down?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'll miss Debenhams, I was a semi regular shopper there and used the website a fair bit. Never had any issue with the stuff I bought there. It's terrible for the staff. More uncertainty for them in uncertain times.

I think I heard as well the Roche family still own the building. I don't know what could fill it now. It is a large retail space. Unless they try and to subdivide it into smaller retail units. It could be a hard prospect given the state of the economy emerging from Covid 19. I wonder how this will effect the facelift for Merchant's Quay or will it? Mahon Point will probably have similar problems given the size of the unit.

Great memories of Roche's as a child. My mother and grandmother brought me in there between them nearly every Saturday. If you were good you'd get some sweets from the pick n mix. I remember all the seating out by the lifts being always thronged with, to what seemed to my 5 year old self, really old people (they probably weren't at all!). All the women in head shawls, beige trench coats and wheeling those shopping carrier things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭beer enigma

It'll be a major headache to Mahon Point, I cant see which retailer would fill that void.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I think I heard as well the Roche family still own the building. I don't know what could fill it now. It is a large retail space. Unless they try and to subdivide it into smaller retail units. It could be a hard prospect given the state of the economy emerging from Covid 19. I wonder how this will effect the facelift for Merchant's Quay or will it?

Yeah was thinking they coukd sub divide but with Merchant's Quay next door with same style concept, not sure would there be a huge demand. Think its probably only way to fill it as can't see it being taken over by 1 retailer. Unless its turned into office space or residential accommodation but presumably would need a change of planning permission.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Unless its turned into office space or residential accommodation but presumably would need a change of planning permission.

That’s my thinking. It’d require the place to be torn down, but it’s the only thing that I could see working. The only retail to survive In the next few years will be extreme ends of the spectrum, low end and super high end. Jeff Bezos in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It'll be a major headache to Mahon Point, I cant see which retailer would fill that void.

You'd wonder is the Mahon Point one profitable? I'd assume town one isn't, but Mahon Point surely has some good footfall.

Assume only easy way to break it up is have the ground floor and second floor separate stores too there, so it'll be a bit of a headache for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

I doubt it will end up being office space. There is going to be a work from home revolution after this pandemic. I wouldnt like to be an office space investor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I doubt it will end up being office space. There is going to be a work from home revolution after this pandemic. I wouldnt like to be an office space investor.

Yeah there's that argument too. Long term that switch may be made but in the short term I don't think there will be a mass exodus from office space but could be wrong. Depends on the nature of the work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Penny's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

snotboogie wrote: »
    Penny's?

Would that unit not be smaller then all the land they have currently waiting to develop

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yeah there's that argument too. Long term that switch may be made but in the short term I don't think there will be a mass exodus from office space but could be wrong. Depends on the nature of the work too.

I don’t think so. The kind of companies that require large office space won’t change that much. I hear a lot of complaint from friends. Hacky work flows and lots of issues with the likes of junior engineers burning themselves out already. Smaller operators and local businesses I can see looking at how many people they actually need.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,428 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Penny's?

I remember that it’s it was rumored years ago that Debenhams was pulling out and Penney’s was moving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That is some loss to Patrick st and mahon. Shop I spent alot in over the years and had a great selection.

Bring back Roche's!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Penny's?

Would imagine they'd need to pull out of Wilton to do that. Can't see them having 3 stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I think the Mahon site would suit Marks and Spencer’s. Their douglas store was always too small.

Advertisement