Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,703 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why would a player have to keep his mouth shut over bad coaching decisions? That's insane.
    There's two sides to everything and I'm sure that information will eventually surface that might explained to some extent why Watson is going on like this. To the best of my knowledge he isn't normally at stuff like this.
    Of course I only follow football, and don't read about footballers private lives, off field stuff unless it's posted here or mentioned during a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,561 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Watson should shut up or he'll find himself the next kap

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Pretty sure it's been shown that Watson was lying. Pace and Fox were at his pro day and there were a few other occasions.

From what I've seen there is no evidence that he is lying.

Clemson had just won the national championship, having also been in the final the year before, so Watson was hardly the only draftable player on show that day. Any team that didn't have representation at their pro day should be booted out of the league for incompetence.

As far as other conversations that may have happened, not all conversations between teams and players are the same. Some are short check ins many times to throw off other teams while others, like if you plan to take a QB at 3, are much longer and more detailed. It is understandable for a player to not see the former as real meetings, even if at draft time they also use it to build up hype about himself.

On the general topic of race from other posts, if people believe it isn't something that pervades every aspect of US society, including the NFL, then you are either naive, purposefully downplaying it, or have never spent serious time in different parts of the US

Foxtrol wrote: »
    From what I've seen there is no evidence that he is lying.

Clemson had just won the national championship, having also been in the final the year before, so Watson was hardly the only draftable player on show that day. Any team that didn't have representation at their pro day should be booted out of the league for incompetence.

As far as other conversations that may have happened, not all conversations between teams and players are the same. Some are short check ins many times to throw off other teams while others, like if you plan to take a QB at 3, are much longer and more detailed. It is understandable for a player to not see the former as real meetings, even if at draft time they also use it to build up hype about himself.

On the general topic of race from other posts, if people believe it isn't something that pervades every aspect of US society, including the NFL, then you are either naive, purposefully downplaying it, or have never spent serious time in different parts of the US

The idea that a black QB is a mobile QB with less accuracy than a white QB who will be more of a pocket passer really does persist.
    There must be something to it in these days of AWS stats

ELM327 wrote: »
    The idea that a black QB is a mobile QB with less accuracy than a white QB who will be more of a pocket passer really does persist.

Well last season of those that started multiple games Watson, Mahomes, Jackson,Wilson and Bridgewater were all in the top ten for completion percentage so that blows that argument out of the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

A lot of coaches are really bad at stats and just lean on what they. Players get cut so easily and coaches can get away with a lot of garbage before being cut.

Christy42 wrote: »
    A lot of coaches are really bad at stats and just lean on what they. Players get cut so easily and coaches can get away with a lot of garbage before being cut.

Yeah, the notion that because certain evidence exists it therefore means no one can possibly hold a contrary belief is unfortunately not true in any area of life, especially when you're talking about this topic of discrimination in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I'd like to see Pat McAfee in the booth for MNF but it'll never happen

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well last season of those that started multiple games Watson, Mahomes, Jackson,Wilson and Bridgewater were all in the top ten for completion percentage so that blows that argument out of the water.
    4 of those 5 are mobile QBs so it plays exactly into what I was saying.

Anyway, I wasnt saying if it was true or not, I'm saying that's the prevailing belief.

ELM327 wrote:
    I'm with you, I'm saying the argument that running/black QBs aren't accurate is rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

Oat23 wrote: »
    Obviously racism is alive and well. I never said it wasn't. I said it's ridiculous to suggest any NFL team still considers a player's ethnicity when it comes to judging his ability as a QB.

I remember listening to Jason Whitlock on Fox last season when Jameis was struggling and he said there’s a perception that black QB men struggle to memorise the playbook that there was data their comparing them. Bearing in mind Jason Whitlock is a black man that said this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I remember listening to Jason Whitlock on Fox last season when Jameis was struggling and he said there’s a perception that black QB men struggle to memorise the playbook that there was data their comparing them. Bearing in mind Jason Whitlock is a black man that said this.

You also have to bear in mind that Jason Whitlock is an a-hole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

He’s a marmite character alright. I do enjoy his show with Marcellus Wiley though I have to say.

Anyway, I wasnt saying if it was true or not, I'm saying that's the prevailing belief.

Are there many young QBs that are not mobile these days? Trubisky, Tannehill, Minshew can all move pretty sharpish when required. We saw Jones put out the moves vs Washington and Josh Allen is always the obvious white mobile QB. Plus plenty more. Statues need a big body of proof they can play these days.

I agree it is the prevailing belief. Coaches can get away with being nuts for quite a while. It is more about who you know than a straight meritocracy.

Your namesake also came out saying that Haskins was more a runner than a passer, despite barely running in college and even then averaging at just over 1 yard per attempt. You don't have to be of a certain race to have biased opinions.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Your namesake also came out saying that Haskins was more a runner than a passer, despite barely running in college and even then averaging at just over 1 yard per attempt. You don't have to be of a certain race to have biased opinions.

To be fair to Stephen A, he did apologise for that one. He went through a rough patch for a while last year when he was getting a load of stuff wrong. That's the problem when you're paid for making outlandish statements.

I like him though, he's so arrogant and so confident in what he's saying, even if he's talking rubbish. A great entertainer.

Are there many young QBs that are not mobile these days? Trubisky, Tannehill, Minshew can all move pretty sharpish when required. We saw Jones put out the moves vs Washington and Josh Allen is always the obvious white mobile QB. Plus plenty more. Statues need a big body of proof they can play these days.

I agree it is the prevailing belief. Coaches can get away with being nuts for quite a while. It is more about who you know than a straight meritocracy.

Despite most QBs being mobile these days we don't see many of the young highly ranked white QBs coming under pressure to try out for other positions, especially not ones that were Heisman winners and finalists.

And that Jameis is not a good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

To be fair to Stephen A, he did apologise for that one. He went through a rough patch for a while last

I like him though, he's so arrogant and so confident in what he's saying, even if he's talking rubbish. A great entertainer.

So do I funnily enough even though he is absolutely clueless, Stephen is a likeable man, he is a real enthusiast.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'd like to see Pat McAfee in the booth for MNF but it'll never happen

I really enjoy his live show on YouTube, I have to say.

• Advertisement

Yes but compare it to jackson (practically an RB at QB), Jameis "I'll throw it to your guys" Winston, etc

Where's the black QB throwing 4000+ a season without a high int ratio, for a team in with a shout of the postseason (ie not garbage time warrior). Wheres the black Peyton, the black Brees, the black TB12 etc

Where's the black QB throwing 4000+ a season without a high int ratio, for a team in with a shout of the postseason (ie not garbage time warrior). Wheres the black Peyton, the black Brees, the black TB12 etc

Patrick Mahomes?

EDIt - Dak Prescott too.

Yes but compare it to jackson (practically an RB at QB), Jameis "I'll throw it to your guys" Winston, etc

Where is the white Peyton, the white TB12 without grey hairs? The game has moved in a different direction and no one is coming out with that skill set anymore. At least no one is taking a chance on them no matter the colour.

I am pretty sure Mahomes is 4000+ without a high int ratio. Wilson doesn't throw too many ints and has some 4k seasons even if Pete Carroll is obsessed with not using him. Watson has a 4k yard season and a better td/int ratio than Peyton. All 3 of them where in the post season as well.

I'll take an RB with a 6-1 regular season td to int ratio and 66% accuracy as well.

Patrick Mahomes?

EDIt - Dak Prescott too.
    Consistently? More than 1-2 years?

Russell Wilson might not top the 4k mark every year but he'd fall into that category.

Without looking, I can't list white QBs who'd meet your criteria but I know Kirk Cousins when he was a Redskin would throw for a million yards but back then he was king of the garbage yard stat.

Where's the white Barry Sanders, where's the white Ed Reed?

Is this just a game of adding requirements till you "prove" your point?

@jack: cousins is out. He only topped 4k once with the vikings and play off contender was a requirement in the initial ask.

If we look at people in the play offs this year you have Rodgers and Brady fair enough though they had poor completion % this year, maybe we should have a condition on that? Brees though does it count if he hasn't thrown for 4k yards the last 2 years? Cousins has been mentioned, Josh Allen hasn't come close to 4k. Tannehill has tended to have a high int ratio. Jimmy G hasn't thrown for 4k yards. Big Ben you could argue but his int ratio is not great. Matt Ryan but the Falcons haven't been contenders consistently.

Where's the white Barry Sanders, where's the white Ed Reed?
    What's this about? We are walking about QBs here..

ELM327 wrote:
    What are you at here? Warren Moon had more than two seasons with over 4k yards back in a time when they were rare enough. That's the 80's.
    In the last five years Russell Wilson has been over 4k yards three times and was 17 yards short of 4k in one of the other two seasons.
    Patrick Mahomes is two years as a starter, has over 4k both years including 5k+ in his only 16 start regular season, has an NFL MVP, a Superbowl MVP and a ring.
    Deshaun Watson is two years at the helm in Houston, he played 15 games in the regular season last year and had 3852 yards so no doubt would have beaten 4k yards had he played all 16 games like the season before where he did have 4k+ yards.
    Lamar Jackson had his first full year as starter last year in the NFL and lit it up, broke QB rushing records with over 1200 yards, that any RB would be proud of, and still managed to throw for over 3k yards. So between rushing and passing he beat 4k yards easily. He was the NFL MVP last season, only the second unanimous MVP in history.

All of those guys were in the top ten most accurate passers last season.

• Advertisement

Randall Cunningham passed for nearly 30000 yards, and ran for nearly 5000, he was an intelligent and high quality quarterback, he made 4 Pro bowls, mostly remembered for his time in Philadelphia, but also led the Vikings to a 15-1 record in 1998, they really should have won the lot that year

Advertisement