Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

eagle eye wrote: »
    What are you at here? Warren Moon had more than two seasons with over 4k yards back in a time when they were rare enough. That's the 80's.
    In the last five years Russell Wilson has been over 4k yards three times and was 17 yards short of 4k in one of the other two seasons.
    Patrick Mahomes is two years as a starter, has over 4k both years including 5k+ in his only 16 start regular season, has an NFL MVP, a Superbowl MVP and a ring.
    Deshaun Watson is two years at the helm in Houston, he played 15 games in the regular season last year and had 3852 yards so no doubt would have beaten 4k yards had he played all 16 games like the season before where he did have 4k+ yards.
    Lamar Jackson had his first full year as starter last year in the NFL and lit it up, broke QB rushing records with over 1200 yards, that any RB would be proud of, and still managed to throw for over 3k yards. So between rushing and passing he beat 4k yards easily. He was the NFL MVP last season, only the second unanimous MVP in history.

All of those guys were in the top ten most accurate passers last season.
    What I'm at is trying to tease out the rationale behind this long held belief of a racial divide at the QB position across NFL scouting rooms and GM/FO/HC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Christy42

ELM327 wrote: »
    What I'm at is trying to tease out the rationale behind this long held belief of a racial divide at the QB position across NFL scouting rooms and GM/FO/HC.

A lot of people were racist at the top of the nfl. Their views shaped the nfl and how people thought about football till even non racist people had biases against black QBs. Black players were never chosen to play qb and so people saw a lack black QBs and it reinforced the point. Aside from a few mold breakers were are only starting to see the fruits of more equal opportunity at the lower levels filter to the nfl in the last few years. Even now Herbert's draft stock seems to have been increased largely based on "looking like a QB".

Many who made it needed ridiculous physical gifts to overcome stereotypes and hence were used as running QBs and not shown traditional qb play as much. It was hard to show off great reading of the game like Brady without being shown and given a chance. A lot of subconscious biases reinforcing themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,854 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ELM327 wrote:
    Plain and simple racism. I'm sure many of them didn't think it was racist and they'd be very nice to black people but they held this opinion that black men were not smart enough to be QB's.
    It really is that simple, it was the case in college football and in the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29176557/nfl-cornerbacks-deandre-baker-quinton-dunbar-wanted-armed-robbery-charges

Deandre Baker and Quinton Dunbar wanted for armed robbery. The reports read quite specific and they're in big trouble. As a Seahawks fan, raging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29176557/nfl-cornerbacks-deandre-baker-quinton-dunbar-wanted-armed-robbery-charges

Deandre Baker and Quinton Dunbar wanted for armed robbery. The reports read quite specific and they're in big trouble. As a Seahawks fan, raging.

That 5th round pick that the Redskins got for Dunbar suddenly doesn't look too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Idiots. What on earth could make two well paid NFL players commit armed robbery and put their careers on the line like that.

The Greg Robinson story earlier in the year is equally as insane, the guy has earned millions over his career and was a starting LT in the league last season, now in jail for smuggling. Bonkers

So the PI video review is gone after one season.
    It was badly done last season but I'm sure it would have improved over time. I guess it's a case where they answered the calls of the many unhappy fans after the NFCCG and now feel that it's behind them and they can go back to the old way. I await their response to the next big controversy with PI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

So the PI video review is gone after one season.
    It was badly done last season but I'm sure it would have improved over time. I guess it's a case where they answered the calls of the many unhappy fans after the NFCCG and now feel that it's behind them and they can go back to the old way. I await their response to the next big controversy with PI.

Similar to var in soccer, they worded the rules in such a way that made it useless and unworkable.

They didn't want it in so worked it such a way that they could get rid of it soon after.

Wow James Harrison says he got an envelope from Mike Tomlin for a big hit on Mohammad Massaquoi in 2010. I think he is basically saying it covered the fine he would get.
    Bountygate 2 about to start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

• Advertisement

Cowherd. By far the biggest A-hole in all of sports coverage (well, US sports anyway). I've trotted this video out before but it sums up his belief in himself being an expert perfectly.

So Vince McMahon is now trying to get away without paying Oliver Luck. He got fired three days before the league went into bankruptcy. The first part of McMahon's reasoning for sacking him was him working from home during covid-19.
    https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/mcmahon-fires-back-in-lucks-wrongful-dismissal-lawsuit/

So Vince McMahon is now trying to get away without paying Oliver Luck. He got fired three days before the league went into bankruptcy. The first part of McMahon's reasoning for sacking him was him working from home during covid-19.
    https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/mcmahon-fires-back-in-lucks-wrongful-dismissal-lawsuit/

I love reason 3 - using his phone for non-business calls...!!

I love reason 3 - using his phone for non-business calls...!!
    Yeah, I'd love if the judge finds in favour of Luck and then orders him to pay $25 for private phonecalls made. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Anyone else rewatching games on the last few Sundays ? I've watched several eagles games and gameday highlights and gameday morning. I normally slow down my NFL viewing this time of year but given the world we are in I've been going through NFL game pass like a box of Jaffa cakes after a feed of drink.

There is a really interesting new show called what if which takes significant moments in NFL history and wonders what would have happened if they didn't happen as they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

OOnegative wrote: »

New Redskin Cody Latimer arrested on assault and weapons charges too. You’d think in a pandemic players would find it hard to get into trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

If there's no football this year, it will essentially be a 19 month off season. Will the US police be ready for the upsurge of crimes committed by NFL players during a 19 month off season???

It's reason enough to get football played!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I see the Ravens website has an article linking Cam Newton to the Ravens. Quoting Ian Rappaport and Bucky Brooks of NFL.com

I do not see this at all. The Ravens are very tight against the cap. Also they have model teammate and No 2 RGIII and late round 2019 draftee from Penn State Trace McSorley as No 3

Indeed carrying 3 QBs is unusual in Baltimore and there was about a decade where there were only 2 QBs on the roster

There is not the money to pay a high priced number 2 like Cam Newton and it may affect the team dynamic anyway

Cam Newton will sign somewhere but I cannot see it being Baltimore

Even if RGIII got traded for a 6th which seems fair compensation to me I do not see Baltimore signing Cam Newton

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Shedite27

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I see the Ravens website has an article linking Cam Newton to the Ravens. Quoting Ian Rappaport and Bucky Brooks of NFL.com

I do not see this at all. The Ravens are very tight against the cap. Also they have model teammate and No 2 RGIII and late round 2019 draftee from Penn State Trace McSorley as No 3

Indeed carrying 3 QBs is unusual in Baltimore and there was about a decade where there were only 2 QBs on the roster

There is not the money to pay a high priced number 2 like Cam Newton and it may affect the team dynamic anyway

Even if RGIII got traded for a 6th which seems fair compensation to me I do not see Baltimore signing Cam Newton
    It's mad to think he could end up without a team, but he's running out of options. Is the main problem with him that he wants money, but is injury-prone?

His best bet at this stage might be to wait till the season starts and wait for a QB1 to do an ACL.

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It's mad to think he could end up without a team, but he's running out of options. Is the main problem with him that he wants money, but is injury-prone?

His best bet at this stage might be to wait till the season starts and wait for a QB1 to do an ACL.

I think a combination of teams not being able to do a medical and the fact that there are no starting jobs left. Jacksonville would have made sense but it seems they are going with Minshew.

I think you are right and that he’ll have to wait until there is an injury. Even then it’ll depend on money, if he wants $20m + not every team will have that much cap room to spare by the time the season starts and Winston / Dalton have set the bar to an extent, albeit Cam is a much more established player.

It might do Cam no harm at all to spend most of the year on the sidelines and give his body a rest.

Well according to NFL total access cam newton is willing to be a back up and the team that was thrown out there on TA is the steelers. I know they are keeping the QBs they had last year who played when Big Ben went down with injury but unless there is a cap issue with the steelers why not bring him in on a one year low risk high reward deal because as good as Big Ben is he has been injured a bit and cam newton has had success and has played in a conference championship game and the Super Bowl.

I didn't think the Steelers want somebody like Cam, they like a pocket passer. The Cardinals seem like the best spot for me. He can back and help Kyler Murray and if Murray isn't up to it you have have the perfect man to take over that offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Christy42

I didn't think the Steelers want somebody like Cam, they like a pocket passer. The Cardinals seem like the best spot for me. He can back and help Kyler Murray and if Murray isn't up to it you have have the perfect man to take over that offense.

I mean he isn't the best pocket passer in the league but he could run rings around the likes of Hodges or Rudolph. Then he also has that mobility if he needs to escape pressure. It would also be good if he could prove himself and take over from Ben. Arizona really have to roll with Murray's rookie contract unless he is diabolical or gets injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

mikemac2 wrote: »

I think the Ravens are one of the worst places he could end up.

Given how much he has been set back by injuries, he needs to go somewhere where he is somewhat protected rather than the heavy focus on designed runs. Jackson can get away with it due to his pace and agility, whereas Cam's power focus will have him eating a lot of unnecessary hits and that will hurt him both physically and his long term prospects of getting a starting job again.

As mentioned before, him holding out for a starting QB to go down or sitting out a full year to heal are probably his best bets at this point.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well according to NFL total access cam newton is willing to be a back up and the team that was thrown out there on TA is the steelers. I know they are keeping the QBs they had last year who played when Big Ben went down with injury but unless there is a cap issue with the steelers why not bring him in on a one year low risk high reward deal because as good as Big Ben is he has been injured a bit and cam newton has had success and has played in a conference championship game and the Super Bowl.

Steelers are pretty much against the cap already so it would be very difficult to fit Cam in. If they bring in a veteran I expect it would be more of the Blake Bortles variety. Sadly that would be an improvement on what they had last season.

Steelers are pretty much against the cap already so it would be very difficult to fit Cam in. If they bring in a veteran I expect it would be more of the Blake Bortles variety. Sadly that would be an improvement on what they had last season.

Ah well then that kind of explains why they stuck with what they had. I don't wish any player injury but Big Ben isn't getting any younger. Now maybe the backups have learnt from last season and maybe it will be different in they are needed down the stretch. Hopefully no more helmet incidents this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think a combination of teams not being able to do a medical and the fact that there are no starting jobs left. Jacksonville would have made sense but it seems they are going with Minshew.

I think you are right and that he’ll have to wait until there is an injury. Even then it’ll depend on money, if he wants $20m + not every team will have that much cap room to spare by the time the season starts and Winston / Dalton have set the bar to an extent, albeit Cam is a much more established player.

Tells you a lot about Jacksonville. I think Cam is not being given the respect and credit he's due. Folks criticise his accuracy, but he's also had **** tier receivers to deal for the majority of his career. He's absolutely a top tier QB when he's healthy. Hoping he is finally recovered from his injury woes. Really think the NFL hung him out to dry for years, with the shots they allowed on him. Similar to Gronk in that regard, penalised for being a better physical specimen. That season opener against the Broncos in 2016 was brutal.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Ah well then that kind of explains why they stuck with what they had. I don't wish any player injury but Big Ben isn't getting any younger. Now maybe the backups have learnt from last season and maybe it will be different in they are needed down the stretch. Hopefully no more helmet incidents this season.
    I didn’t see anything to suggest Rudolph or Duck are good enough to make it in the NFL last season but all the playmakers were hurt along with Ben so who knows. They also have Paxton Lynch on the roster!!

As a steelers fan I’d take Cam in a heartbeat if he is healthy but Ben is on a huge deal so too much money tied up in the position already unfortunately.

Advertisement