Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

A boards glitch on mobile sent me back to their forum about 15 years ago:
    por wrote: »
    Rodney Williams is the only one.

Now can someone clarify something for me.
    A number of years ago I heard that the former Chargers and current Saints kicker John Carney is a son of 1951 Mayo All Ireland winning footballer Dr. Padraig Carney.
    Dr. Padraig Carney has lived in LA for years but I cannot find anything on the web linking them, or dis-proving a link either.

This was a question that never got answered.

Had a quick Google there and nothing conclusive.

Anyone know?

Dr Pádraig Carney died last year aged 91.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

With the way the US is currently preparing for the Coronavirus I can see next season being postponed or even cancelled. Looking like the US is going to be hit very, very hard.

Their whole management of the thing has been a complete mess, Trump was calling it a hoax just a week ago. It’s astonishing to think that this man and his administration has so much power.

Sport will take a back seat for some time and yeah I’d be surprised if the season starts on schedule. At best OTA’s and pre season will be massively disrupted and you are looking at the season starting later in October or November. Very hard to say now though and it will be the least of our worries most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,878 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Once we get it back under control it's about 6-8 weeks Max before we are back to normal. With the way things are moving now I can see us being back to normal by mid-June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭Blut2

eagle eye wrote: »
    Once we get it back under control it's about 6-8 weeks Max before we are back to normal. With the way things are moving now I can see us being back to normal by mid-June.

I agree with this. The US is a couple weeks behind us, but even so things are likely to be returning to normal there by June. Trump won't the economy suffer for any length of time if he can help it.

The NFL has gotten very, very lucky with the timing of this compared to the other big sports leagues. MLB, NHL, NBA are all going to lose hundreds of millions of dollars, as are all the big sports this side of the pond - football, rugby etc. The NFL just has to push its draft a couple months, with a bit of luck it won't even effect pre-season camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Blut2 wrote: »
    I agree with this. The US is a couple weeks behind us, but even so things are likely to be returning to normal there by June. Trump won't the economy suffer for any length of time if he can help it.

The NFL has gotten very, very lucky with the timing of this compared to the other big sports leagues. MLB, NHL, NBA are all going to lose hundreds of millions of dollars, as are all the big sports this side of the pond - football, rugby etc. The NFL just has to push its draft a couple months, with a bit of luck it won't even effect pre-season camps.

As of now the draft is going ahead minus the audience. Probably makes sense as the money generated by it is tiny compared to the regular season and the NFL will want to be in the best position to keep to their normal start. Delaying the draft makes it harder to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I'd like to share the optimism some people have regarding the NFL but I suppose only time will tell. Very dark days ahead for the US imo.

Reports now saying the draft will go ahead on time and as scheduled.
    No public events will take place and I assume that means no geering crowds either.

Still hundreds of nfl and team staff plus media. Seems a bit dim witted.

There is no real need for hundreds of team staff or media. The could just do it in a studio and everyone on skype.

League starting on time is the most important thing to them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Their whole management of the thing has been a complete mess, Trump was calling it a hoax just a week ago.
    Trump has stated "It's a very contagious virus, it's incredible, but it's something we have tremendous control of".
    With this message, expect many people to not follow guidelines, and they could have an Italian type situation in the US. I don't see how this won't have impact even after the Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Can anyone tell me why US TV networks feel it necessary to put music in the background when they're showing NFL highlight clips? It's ESPN, NFL Network and probably the others too. They can be doing a studio bit with an analyst and when. they're on the studio camera, there's no music. B as soon as they switch to a clip of whoever/whatever they're talking about, really bad background music kicks in while the analyst is talking. And as soon as they go back to the studio camera, the music stops. ESPN seem fond of 80's hair metal type music with extravagant guitar solos, NFLN's isn't as bad. The music is unnecessary in my opinion, just wondering why they feel the need to include it?

These are the pointless things you think about when you're stuck in the house all day!

• Advertisement

Trump has stated "It's a very contagious virus, it's incredible, but it's something we have tremendous control of".
    With this message, expect many people to not follow guidelines, and they could have an Italian type situation in the US. I don't see how this won't have impact even after the Summer.

They'll have it worse. Some hospitals in large urban areas have been reported to only be testing health care workers who have contact with covid-19 after showing symptoms - health care workers who spend their working day treating already sick people could be asymptomatic for up to 2 weeks lest you forget.
    In other large urban areas they are only testing people hospitalised with the virus, i.e. not people showing symptoms. They seemingly don't have enough tests for that.
    Students from Italy have been urged to come home due to fears over how the US preparing for it (despite the current state of Italy) and I'm sure many people have seen what the largest university in Norway had to say about the US healthcare system.

Its very worrying as I'm sure a lot of people like myself have relatives over in the States, my missus has an elderly grandmother (93) who only recently recovered from cancer. She's living with her daughter who's a feckin nurse.
    Anger and frustration with how the government are dealing with this is already starting to show, give it another 2-4 weeks and it will be chaotic over there.
    I really hope we're both wrong but if this is over and done with before the end of the summer I'd be shocked. Sure they're even predicting this to last in Ireland for a number of months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I really hope we're both wrong but if this is over and done with before the end of the summer I'd be shocked. Sure they're even predicting this to last in Ireland for a number of months.
    Unless they get a vaccine, this will run past the Summer. The measures being taken in Ireland and other places, is to try and start a downwards trajectory in the curve. But even when it hits bottom, it’ll still need measures in place to eliminate it totally (expect travel to be affected until late Autumn).
    The US/UK have been too laid-back, only now taking it serious and taking the correct decisions. The UK allowed 50/60k people in Cheltenham, while they were telling the elderly to isolate for 3/4 months!
    Hopefully a vaccine can be created (not holding breath), and hopefully the measures in place will have an effect in time), and most of all this is a huge learning for all when an even worse virus comes along.

Unless they get a vaccine, this will run past the Summer. The measures being taken in Ireland and other places, is to try and start a downwards trajectory in the curve. But even when it hits bottom, it’ll still need measures in place to eliminate it totally (expect travel to be affected until late Autumn).
    The US/UK have been too laid-back, only now taking it serious and taking the correct decisions. The UK allowed 50/60k people in Cheltenham, while they were telling the elderly to isolate for 3/4 months!
    Hopefully a vaccine can be created (not holding breath), and hopefully the measures in place will have an effect in time), and most of all this is a huge learning for all when an even worse virus comes along.

Crazy stuff going on still in both the US and the UK - Cheltenham especially was an absolute disgrace. If it goes the way most experts fear it will, history will not look kindly on either government.
    I wouldn't be too hopeful on any vaccine any time soon as most experts say that it'll 18 months at least before one is ready for widespread human use.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The most insane thing was having thousands of Athletico fans from Madrid in a packed Anfield at a time when the problems in Madrid was known and all Spanish football had been shut down.

A large portion of the US population were only a few days behind Ireland in terms of taking action and some have now gone further again.

Trump administration response has been a shambles but many states/cities have been as on top of this as they can be

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

NFL Gamepass is free until 31st July.
    https://www.nflgamepass.com/en/subscribe/plans

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Travis fredrick the cowboys center retires at 29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Travis fredrick the cowboys center retires at 29

Yep, not going to lie, pretty devastated with this news.

Travis was diagnosed with guillian barres disease in 2018, which is an auto immune disease which attacks your body. At one stage he couldn't even lift his kids he was that weak. That way why he missed 2018.

He got back onto the field for 2019 but admitted he wasn't playing to the level he could play at and is calling time now.

Best of luck to him with this. His health is worth more than anything. It's a huge blow to the Cowboys as good centres are hard found and even harder to keep.

He'll still count for almost 11m for the cap this year. Unless they file the paperwork on 1st July and split the hit over 2 years. The saving is only something like 600k

Likely Conor McGovern who we drafted from Penn State last year and played centre for the Nittany Lions in 2018 and redshirted 2019 for the Cowboys will be his direct replacement

There is talk that Conor Williams could also slide inside with McGovern at left guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Aye, but ****ing hell that cowboys front 7 used to be the best in the game this will hit them hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Aye, but ****ing hell that cowboys front 7 used to be the best in the game this will hit them hard.

It will and with the rate of decline in Tyron Smith we could be really funked in no time.

Thank God we've three best guard in football in Zach Martin and he's relatively healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Watching the "Timeline" series on Gamepass and have just got to the Tuck Rule episode.
    I understand a bit, but my God the amount of saltiness among all of the Radiers contributes is incredible. And these are modern interviews, not weeks after the game.

And the ruling was correct :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,101 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

brinty wrote: »
    It will and with the rate of decline in Tyron Smith we could be really funked in no time.

Thank God we've three best guard in football in Zach Martin and he's relatively healthy

Mayhaps a deal with the Pats for Thumey or Andrews? Pats are in a bad spot cap wise, could see them looking to leverage them for picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,690 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Watching the "Timeline" series on Gamepass and have just got to the Tuck Rule episode.
    I understand a bit, but my God the amount of saltiness among all of the Radiers contributes is incredible. And these are modern interviews, not weeks after the game.

And the ruling was correct :D

Sure the immaculate reception contributions from the raiders are full of saltiness. Shockingly no such saltiness is present during interviews involving the holy roller play which benefits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

They barely have fans in LA, let alone Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

^
    Boo!
    Down With This Sort of Thing.
    Im loosing track. Cleveland Rams to the LA Rams. Then enter the St Louis Cardinals - to the Arizona Cardinals. Then the Rams go back to St Louis and leave again to LA. The NFL's very own "Puck Fair"
    Johnny Unitas would want a new thread.....
    ted3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Hard Knocks is going to feature both the Rams and Chargers if Training Camps go ahead. Will be interesting seeing them do 2 teams, it's been a bit stale the past couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Advertisement