Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Tells you a lot about Jacksonville. I think Cam is not being given the respect and credit he's due. Folks criticise his accuracy, but he's also had **** tier receivers to deal for the majority of his career. He's absolutely a top tier QB when he's healthy. Hoping he is finally recovered from his injury woes. Really think the NFL hung him out to dry for years, with the shots they allowed on him. Similar to Gronk in that regard, penalised for being a better physical specimen. That season opener against the Broncos in 2016 was brutal.

Yeah I think he will find a team and will be fine. Chargers might take him once they can do a medical. They won’t want to put Herbert straight in and Tyrod Taylor is not going to sell too many tickets in that new stadium.

Cam used to get a lot of abuse alright but I think he drew some of it on himself crashing in to tackles rather than sliding or running out of bounds, once you break the pocket and take off you are effectively a running back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Yeah I think he will find a team and will be fine. Chargers might take him once they can do a medical. They won’t want to put Herbert straight in and Tyrod Taylor is not going to sell too many tickets in that new stadium.

Cam used to get a lot of abuse alright but I think he drew some of it on himself crashing in to tackles rather than sliding or running out of bounds, once you break the pocket and take off you are effectively a running back.

Agree, he's a monster runner, but defenders had licenses to kill against him. Gronk was the same way. Never got DPI calls, dudes rocketing into his knees and ****.

Folks are enamored with Jackson now, and rightly so, but for me I'd take a healthy Cam. He did more with less, for years. Just crazy that a QB who was coming off a MVP, 15-1 SB berth season just 5 years ago doesn't have a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,868 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ah come on, Jackson last season had a better season than Cam ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Just crazy that a QB who was coming off a MVP, 15-1 SB berth season just 5 years ago doesn't have a job.
    5 years ago is a long time. Manning was MVP and 2 years later was done. Is that Cam going to be Cam in 2020?
    The Panthers who'd more info than anyone else didn't think so, and no other team seems to think so either (not helped by COVID-19 restricting his workouts).

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ah come on, Jackson last season had a better season than Cam ever had.

Nonsense, Cam's MVP season was better. He was damn near the entire offense, leading the team on a year thru the league that year, to include the playoffs. His top WR was Ted Ginn Jr, for goodness sake.

• Advertisement

5 years ago is a long time. Manning was MVP and 2 years later was done. Is that Cam going to be Cam in 2020?
    The Panthers who'd more info than anyone else didn't think so, and no other team seems to think so either (not helped by COVID-19 restricting his workouts).

Manning was at the end of his rope, Cam is still young and ought to be in his prime.

Nonsense, Cam's MVP season was better. He was damn near the entire offense, leading the team on a year thru the league that year, to include the playoffs. His top WR was Ted Ginn Jr, for goodness sake.
    Yeah but he had Greg Olsen and a couple of decent receivers in Funchess and Cotchery too and Jonathan Stewart in the backfield. It wasn't that bad.
    Like Lamar had a lesser receiving TE in Andrews and then Brown wouldn't even be at Ginn's level to this point in his career. He had a nice backfield though to be fair. You don't become the second ever uncontested MVP very easily. Lamar was that last year, Cam wasn't in the 2015 season.
    I like Cam a lot but he hasn't been the same player for a few years. I think a nice rest now might invigorate him and lengthen his career. He'll get a sweet deal somewhere when someone goes down.
    I really think the Cards should take him. He'd be a great mentor for Murray and could seamlessly take over from him if he isn't good enough or gets injured.

Weren’t a lot of Jackson’s throws ones that wouldn’t be miracle caught the next 9 times in 10? Newton is easily a more talented passer.

Weren’t a lot of Jackson’s throws ones that wouldn’t be miracle caught the next 9 times in 10? Newton is easily a more talented passer.

Well he's less accurate if that helps. He has a worse QB rating. In fact his best season QB rating is 99 or something like that and Lamar's was over 110 last season.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well he's less accurate if that helps. He has a worse QB rating. In fact his best season QB rating is 99 or something like that and Lamar's was over 110 last season.

Yeah but you didn’t read my post at all. Jackson was just throwing balls up and had one of those once in a lifetime years where they were nearly all caught.

• Advertisement

• Yeah but you didn’t read my post at all. Jackson was just throwing balls up and had one of those once in a lifetime years where they were nearly all caught.

That is a gross misquoting of history.

Yeah but you didn’t read my post at all. Jackson was just throwing balls up and had one of those once in a lifetime years where they were nearly all caught.
    You can't say that without having information to back it up. If you looked at his Heisman year in college he was doing the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Lads Jackson had an amazing season. You just look silly saying otherwise. A healthy cam a few years ago vs Jackson might be a discussion but for a franchise based off best seasons I'd take Jackson. Smarter runner too. Cam left himself open to a lot of shots tryna run people over

Lamar was unreal, that Ravens running game is devastating and he improved as a passer too. Can he keep it up is the question. The league always adapts.

If there is a doubt over him it’s whether he can chase a game and win from the pocket while under pressure against quality opposition. He didn’t have to last year in the regular season but we all know what happened in the playoffs. If he can get to that level as a passer I really don’t know how you’d stop him.

There was a strong element of lightning in a bottle with respect for the Ravens offense last year. 3 TE sets with Jackson and a RB . I'm doubtful they will perform to that level next year. Mahomes in 2018 was more impressive to me, and he maintained that excellent play this past year.

Cam has very good to excellent in his career to date, playing with some pretty **** set ups. If he's healthy, i think he has a lot left to contribute.

Manning was at the end of his rope, Cam is still young and ought to be in his prime.
    Cam might be younger, but could still be at the end of his rope (due to injuries).

Lamar was unreal, that Ravens running game is devastating and he improved as a passer too. Can he keep it up is the question. The league always adapts.

If there is a doubt over him it’s whether he can chase a game and win from the pocket while under pressure against quality opposition. He didn’t have to last year in the regular season but we all know what happened in the playoffs. If he can get to that level as a passer I really don’t know how you’d stop him.
    Happened the last two years really. He came back against the Chargers after they changed their defense, but he was terrible for most of that game.
    This year against the Titans, even though his total yards in the air and ground was impressive, he had a bit of a stinker.
    Still young though, he's achieved a lot. Don't know if he'll have a long career; his style is just one hit away from being totally ineffective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

This has happened a few times before. Well I suppose it happens every offseason but just looking at well known players

An offensive lineman retires and during the offseason the fans wonder can he return. The answer is certainly no as they shed a huge amount of weight as soon as they retire.

I do remember center Matt Birk won a competion on body compesition and Chargers center Nick Hardwick looking pretty skinny after he retired.

All-Pro lineman Marshal Yanda from 312lbs at seasons end now at 245lbs.

It was a good article by ESPN
    https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/52251/bike-tuna-and-will-how-marshal-yanda-lost-60-pounds-in-three-months

I didn't know he had 13 surgeries over his career and his body was wrecked. A daily diet of 6,000 calories down to 2,200 calories listed in the article too

513667.jpeg
    513668.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Christy42

mikemac2 wrote: »
    This has happened a few times before. Well I suppose it happens every offseason but just looking at well known players

An offensive lineman retires and during the offseason the fans wonder can he return. The answer is certainly no as they shed a huge amount of weight as soon as they retire.

I do remember center Matt Birk won a competion on body compesition and Chargers center Nick Hardwick looking pretty skinny after he retired.

All-Pro lineman Marshal Yanda from 312lbs at seasons end now at 245lbs.

It was a good article by ESPN
    https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/52251/bike-tuna-and-will-how-marshal-yanda-lost-60-pounds-in-three-months

I didn't know he had 13 surgeries over his career and his body was wrecked. A daily diet of 6,000 calories down to 2,200 calories listed in the article too

513667.jpeg
    513668.jpeg

That is impressive. If I was 6k calories a day with a lot of exercise I would just end up fat as soon as I stopped the exercise part. I would be used to the meal timings. Well some are probably ott to get that many calories but still that is a lot less food.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Christy42 wrote: »
    That is impressive. If I was 6k calories a day with a lot of exercise I would just end up fat as soon as I stopped the exercise part. I would be used to the meal timings. Well some are probably ott to get that many calories but still that is a lot less food.

You proper **** yourself, I went from competing at 77kg to about 110kg due to not changing how much I ate and eating crappy food and drinking and not exercising.

When you stop doing something so rigorous it can be a nightmare to even do something small

• Advertisement

Have read before about the struggle some linemen have keeping their weight up. That is a really impressive transformation, if I met him randomly and he told me he used to be an NFL Guard I wouldn’t believe it.

Great career he had, hope he enjoys his retirement. Borderline hall of famer?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

First time I really remember being shocked at a lineman shedding weight so quickly was Chris Snee for the Giants a few years back. Within months he looked completely different.

Read a great article about the unhealthy relationship linemen have with food recently. Joe Thomas features in it quite a bit.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/5/5/21246544/offensive-linemen-diet-weight-loss-gain-eating
    Being an offensive lineman doesn’t just require athletes to be muscular; it mandates that they are bigger than their bodies want to be. To maintain the size and weight required by the position, prospects and veterans alike are driven to adopt extreme eating habits. But once their careers are over, it’s not always easy to return to a healthy lifestyle.

• Borderline hall of famer?

He should definitely end up there at some stage but if history is anything to go by he might be waiting a while. Alan Faneca somehow still isn't there.

He should definitely end up there at some stage but if history is anything to go by he might be waiting a while. Alan Faneca somehow still isn't there.

Yes, seems to be hard for guards to get in for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The lad the Jags drafted is a great example of weight going the other way, putting on 75lbs in college. Definitely not as quick a process though

https://twitter.com/PFF_Linsey/status/1254089149663137795?s=20

Yes, seems to be hard for guards to get in for some reason
    A great guard deserves to be in the hall like a great player in any other position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Foxtrol wrote: »
    The lad the Jags drafted is a great example of weight going the other way, putting on 75lbs in college. Definitely not as quick a process though

https://twitter.com/PFF_Linsey/status/1254089149663137795?s=20

He doesn't look like he's thrilled with the process :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

hots wrote: »
    He doesn't look like he's thrilled with the process :o

I also wouldn't if this was my daily shake for 4 years

https://twitter.com/picksixpod/status/1254088998659784710?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

He made one of those at the combine, looked absolutely vile!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I know a lad that did similar at college. Hot Chicken Rolls, Cans of Cider and Chipper every day did the trick. Didn't end up much of an athlete

Advertisement