Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,860 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

That Earl Thomas story certainly qualifies as weird and wacky

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

paulie21 wrote: »
    That Earl Thomas story certainly qualifies as weird and wacky

I read the Ravens are looking into seeing can they terminate his contract over it, it won’t let me post the link to the article because I’m a new user.

Can’t see what Thomas done wrong to merit that, immoral yes, illegal no. His wife brought the illegality into it.

Unless they were shopping him around before this happened which I’m not sure of them it’s a bit unfair on him imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Yes unfortunately it looks like the Ravens are the real deal this year, I’m interested in people’s opinions in Jackson though, I know he can ball and is a brilliant QB but I’ve been discussing him with friends and I’m of the opinion if he doesn’t adapt his game I can’t see him being around in 5/6 times the abuse his body is going to take, I know that takes a lot away from his game trying to get him to run less but with the defence in that division Steelers and Browns (rumours we might get Clowney too) more so than the Bengals at present he’s going to take massive hits a lot!

I’ve been told I’m wrong about that :D maybe I am too but I feel he mightn’t have huge leverage when negotiating off his rookie contract the way he plays now.

Lamar doesn’t really take those big hits often though, like Russell Wilson he knows when a play is over, when to slide or run out etc. I think I saw that he rushed 170 + times last season though, that’s probably not sustainable for him and he will have to develop more as a passer. We saw against Tennessee last year that he can struggle when he has to chase a lead and you take the RPO away from him. If he is to win a SuperBowl he’ll have to win a shootout at some point against a genuine contender where he’ll need to go up the field quickly through the air and score TD’s. Not saying he can’t do it, but we haven’t seen it yet.

Mental story about Thomas. Infidelity aside it does not sound like he did anything wrong legally speaking bar possibly bringing the league in to disrepute, but if Tyreek Hill doesn’t get suspended for his incident last season I think it would be harsh to punish Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Christy42

I love Joe Thomas, he’s absolutely adored in Cleveland, my cousin tells me it’s like BOD or Paul O’Connell here the status he’s held in, I love listening to him on NFL Network too.

Yes unfortunately it looks like the Ravens are the real deal this year, I’m interested in people’s opinions in Jackson though, I know he can ball and is a brilliant QB but I’ve been discussing him with friends and I’m of the opinion if he doesn’t adapt his game I can’t see him being around in 5/6 times the abuse his body is going to take, I know that takes a lot away from his game trying to get him to run less but with the defence in that division Steelers and Browns (rumours we might get Clowney too) more so than the Bengals at present he’s going to take massive hits a lot!

I’ve been told I’m wrong about that :D maybe I am too but I feel he mightn’t have huge leverage when negotiating off his rookie contract the way he plays now.

No I was born in 85 so I know nothing but bad times following the Browns unless you take out the excited that lasted maybe 4 months when we drafted Johnny Manziel (who I was sure was going to be the next big thing in terms of QB) might be disclosing how little I know about the sport with that comment :D

Wouldn't feel too bad. My old boss decided his team based off them drafting a QB who he thought would break the league. Tebow time didn't quite pan out as he hoped though I suppose he got to support them during the supebowl run.

Manziel is one of those I never get. I guess because I started following football in the last few years but even watching his college tape I don't get where the hype came from. I guess his flaws were highlighted by his time in the league to the point they were easy to see where they came from in college.

I wouldn't feel bad, you need some hope sometimes and there was a mass delusion about him going on at the time. I also sincerely doubt I would have coped his flaws had I followed at the time either so not claiming any special knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I love Joe Thomas, he’s absolutely adored in Cleveland, my cousin tells me it’s like BOD or Paul O’Connell here the status he’s held in, I love listening to him on NFL Network too.

No I was born in 85 so I know nothing but bad times following the Browns unless you take out the excited that lasted maybe 4 months when we drafted Johnny Manziel (who I was sure was going to be the next big thing in terms of QB) might be disclosing how little I know about the sport with that comment :D
    So you got to see Trent Richardson running into contact for two years. The Browns had a player on the cover of Madden a few years ago, Payton Hillis. Think he only had one good season at running back. There is a good book by Jonathan Knight, kardiac kids, about the 1980 team.

• Advertisement

So you got to see Trent Richardson running into contact for two years. The Browns had a player on the cover of Madden a few years ago, Payton Hillis. Think he only had one good season at running back. There is a good book by Jonathan Knight, kardiac kids, about the 1980 team.

I actually won a signed jersey of Payton Hillis on a Facebook group a couple months back.

I’m not one for video games, I understand the ‘Madden Curse’ but that’s about it.

Thanks for the book recommendation, I have a few books here about the Browns but not that one, I’ll check book depository for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

My only contribution to a Browns discussion is that I have seen 2 different people in Ireland wearing Johnny Manziel Browns' jerseys.

My only contribution to a Browns discussion is that I have seen 2 different people in Ireland wearing Johnny Manziel Browns' jerseys.

Well it wasn’t me :D I never had a jersey up until last year, never really liked them. A bit too bulky and just not nice looking for me. I kept to just hoodies, t-shirts and polo’s, I bit the bullet and got a Mayfield jersey last year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Joe Tessitore and Booger McFarland won't be doing MNF on ESPN this year.

Fantastic news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Fantastic news.

Hopefully Louis Riddick will have some part in the new MNF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Fantastic news.

I didn't mind joe tessitore but thank Christ booger isn't coming back. Tessitore had to deal with Jason witten and booger which is unfair and you'll never look good with that cast around you.

So have they said who will be calling MNF this season ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,854 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Itssoeasy wrote:
    I didn't mind joe tessitore but thank Christ booger isn't coming back. Tessitore had to deal with Jason witten and booger which is unfair and you'll never look good with that cast around you.
    I'm with you, I like Tessitore. He did college football with Todd Blackledge and they were a great team. It's not his fault whose put in the booth with him

Fantastic news.

Booger: ‘Me and Joe won’t be doing MNF on ESPN this year which means they’ll be a new team calling the games because me and Joe won’t be doing MNF this year’ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ah here, Booger was absolutely hilarious!

He had the quote of the season during the Texans-Bills playoff game. I can't remember the exact context but he said "it's about your playmakers making plays". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Tessitore was just done with him on this...

https://twitter.com/BarstoolsTweets/status/1213622905650765825?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

raven136 wrote: »
    Hopefully Louis Riddick will have some part in the new MNF

He's one of the few decent NFL guys ESPN have so they need to get him involved.

Apparently ESPN wanted Al Michaels, but NBC weren't interested in discussing it. They should try to get Tirico back. I know he left because NBC offered him the lead job on the Olympics but he's wasted as the host of Football night in America. Maybe they could work out a deal to let him do MNF and retain his Olympics role with NBC.

Chris Fowler from their CFB coverage would be my next choice. After that I don't really know...

Leave Chris Fowler alone, love him for college football.

There was talk that they would go after Kirk Herbstreit for MNF which would be a travesty for CFB.

There was talk that they would go after Kirk Herbstreit for MNF which would be a travesty for CFB.
    He'd be really missed off college gameday as well. That'll never happen, far too big in the college, MNF would be a backwards step for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

kmart6 wrote: »

Ah the rarely seen field goal attempt on fifth down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

TheDoctor wrote: »

It must be a laugh to watch CFL with him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

TheDoctor wrote: »

Like Austin Powers hitting when he's on 21, Booger also likes to live dangerously.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So Deshaun Watson is saying that before the 2017 NFL draft of which he want no 12 overall to the Texans that the Chicago bears who had a very high draft pick that year at no2 didn't even talk to him pre draft. Now I realise this is something that has emerged years after the fact and hindsight being 20/20 and the NFL draft is at best an imperfect process but how do you not at least talk to the guy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So Deshaun Watson is saying that before the 2017 NFL draft of which he want no 12 overall to the Texans that the Chicago bears who had a very high draft pick that year at no2 didn't even talk to him pre draft. Now I realise this is something that has emerged years after the fact and hindsight being 20/20 and the NFL draft is at best an imperfect process but how do you not at least talk to the guy ?

Pretty sure it's been shown that Watson was lying. Pace and Fox were at his pro day and there were a few other occasions.

Watson's an idiot for posting something like that. It's alright to forget something that happened years ago but in once sentence he has stirred racial tension by lending credibility to the silly claim that teams are still using race as part of their evaluations. It was just a stupid, irrelevant tweet by some golf analyst until he got involved.

He should be more careful what he says to a million people on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Oat23 wrote: »
    Watson's an idiot for posting something like that. It's alright to forget something that happened years ago but in once sentence he has stirred racial tension by lending credibility to the silly claim that teams are still using race as part of their evaluations. It was just a stupid, irrelevant tweet by some golf analyst until he got involved.

In the year Doug Williams and Washington won the superbowl, think 1987, all these roman numerals confuse me, it was a huge issue. He was asked at a press conference, how long have you been a black quarterback:)
    What I do remember in that game is 10-0 Denver became 35-10 Washington at ht, and ended 42-10. Also Timmy Smith the running back slicing through the Denver defence, so Williams had a lot of help. Race is a huge issue in the USA, and the perception that a black quarterback wouldn't be intelligent enough to lead a team is not a new one, although silly and outdated, it was and still is unfortunately a mindset for some people. As for Trubisky, he has had his moments, I think the Bears are well capable of ruining anyone, they seem to lack basic coaching and organisational skills. That is not a race issue, but a sad fact. The NFL is more or less a league of parity anyway, most of the time anyone can beat anyone, as the saying goes, Any Given Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Oat23 wrote: »

He was on the end of racist abuse on twitter a few years back, so it is alive and well in the US

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2018/09/22/deshaun-watson-texans-school-superintendent-lynn-redden-resigns-after-racist-comment

trebor28 wrote: »
    He was on the end of racist abuse on twitter a few years back, so it is alive and well in the US

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2018/09/22/deshaun-watson-texans-school-superintendent-lynn-redden-resigns-after-racist-comment

Obviously racism is alive and well. I never said it wasn't. I said it's ridiculous to suggest any NFL team still considers a player's ethnicity when it comes to judging his ability as a QB.

Strikes me as nothing more than Watson wanting to play the "Oh look at me, I have a chip on my shoulder and I'm gonna make everyone pay for it" card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭cosatron

I think Watson and anyone involved with the Texan's should really keep their mouths shut considering the clusterf**k that was the game against the chiefs and some of there offseason moves were beyond crazy.

Advertisement