Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭claregal1

Did anyone notice that the booklet says there wont be anyone used off this panel after May 2021?

Yeah I also noticed that . I imagine it is because of the current restrictions as most people are working from home at the moment and training etc would not feasible in these unprecedented times.
    I'm not too concerned as I am currently a CO with a different public body and looking for change . I placed quite good in my chosen counties so I'm happy with that. Going to put it out of my mind for the time being and just wait to be called for interview .

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭xxsammyxx085

claregal1 wrote: »
    Yeah I also noticed that . I imagine it is because of the current restrictions as most people are working from home at the moment and training etc would not feasible in these unprecedented times.
    I'm not too concerned as I am currently a CO with a different public body and looking for change . I placed quite good in my chosen counties so I'm happy with that. Going to put it out of my mind for the time being and just wait to be called for interview .

I placed at 35 and 51 in my two counties so hoping I might have a chance at interview this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Ace of Hearts

L390 wrote: »
    Ooops is Co. Dublin different to Dublin ..mine says Co.Dublin ...I'm Dublin central

All the one I would've thought? I only recall Co. Dublin appearing on the form. Open to correction..

I placed at 35 and 51 in my two counties so hoping I might have a chance at interview this year.

I'm 29 and 40 in my counties so I definitely think we both have hope of being called for interviews . In the job I'm in now, oom changed after interview . I think I went from 200's to oom 9 and I was still waiting five months after interview to be placed. As others have said , it is a long slow drawn out process so best to try and put out of your mind until next stage .
    Best of luck to everyone .

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shoes43

job seeker wrote: »
    693 for Mayo! Any hope for an interview!?

I got placed 292 for Mayo - will just wait and see what happens. I can't imagine there are too many jobs going in the Civil Service in Mayo at present. But live in hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 JaneK33

437 in Cork and 517 in Limerick. What are my chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

Got a very pleasant surprise. 31 for Mayo and 64 for Sligo. I was really worried, as I also applied for them on the 2018 competition and was number 686 and 1105 for both counties respectively so understandably never heard anything back.

Granted I'm much better at questionnaires than aptitude tests but it's good to know now I can start to properly plan my future move.

Now I'm off to study the competencies to ace my interview when I get a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ShellBell89

How come you didn't apply for mobility?

How come you didn't apply for mobility?

I am in a different sector and you can only apply for mobility within that sector and I fancied a change . I'm currently with the hse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Got a notification that I had another new message on public jobs. Quickly logged in. All excited.
    It was to notify me that their email address was updated :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

As someone who has been through the public jobs process a few times in the many campaigns both full time and TCO it really is baffling just how theses things are run. Firstly the many stages that campaigns go through, ie, the online questionnaires or the "aptitude tests which are widely debunked as an accurate means of determining anything, are really only a pc way for the public jobs people to cull off applicants. The private sector does this by taking a pile of applications at random and firing them in the bin.

Firstly having heard the aptitude tests weren't going ahead this year I was glad I applied for this campaign. I really doubt the relevance of the aptitude test because as a TCO Ive never seen anyone in any full time position, in the revenue or anywhere else, doing 30 vat calculations in under a minute and I know getting a high score in the error checking and your english language handling abilities is more important as a CO than how quickly you can bash buttons on a calculator. Also consistently coming in the top 50 in the order of merit in numerous online questioners for TCO campaigns, which are exactly the same questions as in the CO version, I thought I was in with a good chance, no because it's a total lottery.

There are several reasons why the process takes as long as a snail reversing back a forward moving conveyor belt but one of them must be that they take several months to move goalposts especially since the results of these questionnaires and aptitude tests, all of which are on digital format, are most likely calculated on the day or within a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Plugguy

Can you ask for feedback on the questionnaire?
    I got 270 Limerick

There is a link in your message on public jobs that leads to feedback.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    TCO is good to get, the experience will be invaluable in interviews later.
    A working knowledge of SAP (if her department uses it) is great to have as well.

Ya you have enough cynicism built up to know that these campaigns are manly run to give full timers work to do and the stages have no basis in reality.

I am in a different sector and you can only apply for mobility within that sector and I fancied a change . I'm currently with the hse

Thanks for blocking me getting a full time position

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭tritriagain

any tips to prepare for interviews. i really dont know what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 positivepenny

Plugguy wrote: »
    There is a link in your message on public jobs that leads to feedback.

Ya seen that thanks but wondering can you get further feedback on the 3 sections of the questionnaire?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Farlo1234

900's for Galway and 1100's for limerick :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭CivilCybil

any tips to prepare for interviews. i really dont know what to expect.

They'll send details about the competencies they'll be questioning you on.
    So have a couple of examples lined up for each competency and use the STAR method.
    That's my experience anyway and I passed the EO interview and placed fairly well

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

Thanks for blocking me getting a full time position
    ClareGal works for the HSE, a public service body. This competition is for the civil service, a separate entity, and she is as entitled to enter it as you are. She hasn't "blocked" you from a full time position, and it is isn't her fault you didn't get as high a mark as she did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 giveitalash

Got 109 oom for Westmeath and 47 for Roscommon scored 6397, what's my chances? Is there any movement in Westmeath with retirement etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I placed 5th in my chosen county in 2018 and 219 this time. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Alv_M

First time applying, got 200s in Cork. What are my chances of getting a job from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭furrybones

Got a notification that I had another new message on public jobs. Quickly logged in. All excited.
    It was to notify me that their email address was updated :(

Yeah, I nearly fell over myself to get to the laptop to log in. Ah well, it was a bit of excitement to break the monotony of the morning :P Now back to washing my hands and looking out the window.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 30 positivepenny

furrybones wrote: »
    Yeah, I nearly fell over myself to get to the laptop to log in. Ah well, it was a bit of excitement to break the monotony of the morning :P Now back to washing my hands and looking out the window.

Same here.. 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5 avilaloca97

Hi guys, I am a little bit stressed right now I've been laid off from my job due to covid -19 and the future of the business where I'm employed is very uncertain. I applied for this gig, I'm ranked 367 for Galway my score was 5837 and I ranked 309 for westmeath, I am pretty new to these competitions, should I give up hope on being called for an interview? :( Thanks guys, best of luck to all x

• Registered Users Posts: 35 navan21

Placed mid 400's for Meath. Had some hope when I thought it was a 2 year competition but with it only being 12 months now i probably haven't a chance. Does anyone know if there are usually many positions available in Meath or if positions arise often? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jamescahill

I’m in the exact same boat I finished 1270 in Dublin and don’t know if I should hope of an interview at all Im hearing many mixed opinions on it but hopefully there’s hope for us both well done on getting through regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

Samsgirl wrote: »
    I placed 5th in my chosen county in 2018 and 219 this time. Very strange.

I was top 5 last year and now 206, I thought it was strange also, a mate of mine is the same, top 5 last year and 300s now. We both put the same answers as last time. Is there a massive increase in applications? Or have they changed the way they score it.
    Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dublingirlx

Does anyone else not think it’s all very weird... the placings I mean? Everyone seems disappointed (me included) despite feeling like we did well and based on the score we got. Everyone’s placement seems weirdly high! It’s almost as if the whole of Ireland applied. I just think there’s something off with it all. I have applied for many competitions before and have never seen this. Everyone seems to be feeling quite deflated. Hard to know what is going to happen now. I’d like to know now though, will they only interview depending on job availability in your chosen location or will they interview and your order of merit changes again and then placed on a panel? I scored in the mid 200’s for my location and it’s a small enough town so don’t think there’s much hope for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ladz

What civil service departments are in westmeath does anyone know?

Advertisement