Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HungrySeagull

The COs you've been getting up till now have all been interviewed in person, and sat tests in Chapter House. The panel like that closed today. But it was two years old, so they've been the worst of the good-enough from the last campaign.

Testing and interviews have only changed from this campaign onwards. No one has been appointed from it yet.

'Worst of the good enough'?

I have just missed out on the 2018 campaign by about 10 people. This time around I ranked top 100 for Dublin and top 30 for Kildare. So I guess I was only 'good enough' for the last campaign but am top tier for this campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Linking123!

I have just missed out on the 2018 campaign by about 10 people. This time around I ranked top 100 for Dublin and top 30 for Kildare. So I guess I was only 'good enough' for the last campaign but am top tier for this campaign.

Did you do the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭jaffa20

That was unlucky but it's looking good for 2020 campaign for you. Do you know how many they took on in Kildare for 2018? I guess could be less this time. My OOM is not as good as yours but i am in the top 200 so hoping for interview at least.

Did you do the interview?

For the 2018 campaign? Yes, last September.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    That was unlucky but it's looking good for 2020 campaign for you. Do you know how many they took on in Kildare for 2018? I guess could be less this time. My OOM is not as good as yours but i am in the top 200 so hoping for interview at least.

They only got about half way through batch 2.2. I know there was 8 people in batch 1.4 and then only 5 in 2.1. There was 21 in batch 2.2. To the best of my knowledge 50-60?

I was just outside the top 200 last time but it took a year for me to be called for stage 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Linking123!

For the 2018 campaign? Yes, last September.
    I never got an email to say panel has expired, really sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DarkJ

claregal1 wrote: »
    Hi- in the info booklet in the email with your results three is a list of competencies they will ask on during the interview . Think its 4 or 5 . Have an example or two for each of those . Answer using the Star technique. Situation , task , Action, and result.
    Not sure how these interviews will be graded , but the last one I did was each compencies was marked out of 100 with 40 needed in each one to pass. Hope this helps .

Thanks for your help. Best of luck to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Congratulations on your improvement!

Seriously ... see the earlier post about the people they've been appointed lately.

Obviously (since you're here and posting in coherent sentences!) you're not like that. But after a panel has been active for two years, some of the people on it are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Congratulations on your oom this time round! I have gotten the same results the last 3 campaigns. I don’t even know what they want anymore. I give up! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭furrybones

Congratulations on your improvement!

Seriously ... see the earlier post about the people they've been appointed lately.

Obviously (since you're here and posting in coherent sentences!) you're not like that. But after a panel has been active for two years, some of the people on it are.

Maybe that is why this panel will only be live for one year.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

furrybones wrote: »
    Maybe that is why this panel will only be live for one year.

But you would still need a panel to pull from, especially as all the useless CO's are culled at the 9 month point of their 1 year probation!

Anyone have a figure of how many actually are let go and don't get Permanent?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭moonlight06

66th in Mayo, what are the chances of an interview? Hard to know with the short lifespan of the panel and the Covid restrictions that may affect interviews or is online interviewing an option I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    But you would still need a panel to pull from, especially as all the useless CO's are culled at the 9 month point of their 1 year probation!

Anyone have a figure of how many actually are let go and don't get Permanent?

The only way people are let go from the civil service is if:
    your'e a TCO,
    you kill a man in the office,
    you're a whistle blower,
    you breach GDPR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

The COs you've been getting up till now have all been interviewed in person, and sat tests in Chapter House. The panel like that closed today. But it was two years old, so they've been the worst of the good-enough from the last campaign.

Testing and interviews have only changed from this campaign onwards. No one has been appointed from it yet.

Last time I applied as a TCO I came in the top 30 in the county and I have consistently come in the top 150 in the various TCO campaigns. Yet despite doing TCO interviews every year and proving my abilities in the real world I find myself in the 900s in the 2020 CO process, despite it being the same freaking questionnaire with the same exact questions. Just how public jobs rank people on a questionnaire thats about as relevant to reality as a sketch of a stickman on the back of a cigarette packet is.

If you're 'good enough" to have run the application process gauntlet and get a job as a TCO or a CO you quickly come to the conclusion that just having the ability to turn on your computer a navigate to to the questionnaire means your qualified to work there because training is provided and shur if you happen to be a total philistine you're moved sideways.

I would say that the majority of staff a very good at their jobs but what really grinds my gears is when I see clods or malingerers who have been given the green light by public-jobs and wonder what rank where they and why weren't they flushed out with the dogs an grenade questionnaire, "aptitude" test and two person interview panel

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The only way people are let go from the civil service is if:
    your'e a TCO,
    you kill a man in the office,
    you're a whistle blower,
    you breach GDPR

Two things you could add to that list :D
    1) you burn the building down, or
    2) you accept ANY monetary gift or token.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Sister did a very similar questionnaire for Revenue Customs in 2018 which was also ranked by county. She was offered a job last August but wasnt in a position to accept. Her ranking this time around was virtually the same. Better than mine anyway :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rubenski

murphy15 wrote: »
    Yes that's a great score well done to you ! lots of county town like Portlaoise Castlebar Killarney have big government departments.. so there should be a lot of jobs coming up

Thanks Murphy15! :) It feels good to have some hope. With very little going on work-wise right now (for so many people), there's a lot at stake here. I wish I wasn't holding out so much hope for this specific job, but I am!! The security of it makes it so desirable.

Best of luck to everyone and here's hoping many of us get something good out of this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Last time I applied as a TCO I came in the top 30 in the county and I have consistently come in the top 150 in the various TCO campaigns. Yet despite doing TCO interviews every year and proving my abilities in the real world I find myself in the 900s in the 2020 CO process, despite it being the same freaking questionnaire with the same exact questions. Just how public jobs rank people on a questionnaire thats about as relevant to reality as a sketch of a stickman on the back of a cigarette packet is.

If you're 'good enough" to have run the application process gauntlet and get a job as a TCO or a CO you quickly come to the conclusion that just having the ability to turn on your computer a navigate to to the questionnaire means your qualified to work there because training is provided and shur if you happen to be a total philistine you're moved sideways.

I would say that the majority of staff a very good at their jobs but what really grinds my gears is when I see clods or malingerers who have been given the green light by public-jobs and wonder what rank where they and why weren't they flushed out with the dogs an grenade questionnaire, "aptitude" test and two person interview panel

for the second time do not post in this thread again, or you'll get a forum ban

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Not true at all. Our 3 most recently assigned staff members Nov 2019- to present (including person who can't sign in) have been recruited via online competencies and straight to interview, no in person exams. They were also told they passed interview and assigned department on same day in public jobs. Standards have dropped dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Not true at all. Our 3 most recently assigned staff members Nov 2019- to present (including person who can't sign in) have been recruited via online competencies and straight to interview, no in person exams. They were also told they passed interview and assigned department on same day in public jobs. Standards have dropped dramatically.

This could actually be true.

Are you Dublin?

Dublin 2019 did use the same format, a questionaire and direct to interview.

Apparently the top 200 (based on Questionaire OOM) that passed the interview were offer jobs on interview day.

I would hope your assessment of those candidates were based on wildcards (that slipped through the net) rather than a "New Standard".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

That's crazy 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭SB1982

I can’t see how that is the case. I was recruited from 2018 campaign and had to complete application, sit online questionnaire, do exam in chapter house and interview in chapter house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

If called to interview, are they all held in chapter house for the whole country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The recruitment process for COs has been all over the place the last few competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

If called to interview, are they all held in chapter house for the whole country ?

Up till now they have been, they're exploring alternatives for this campaign for obvious reasons, Skype/Zoom etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This could actually be true.

Are you Dublin?

Dublin 2019 did use the same format, a questionaire and direct to interview.

Apparently the top 200 (based on Questionaire OOM) that passed the interview were offer jobs on interview day.

I would hope your assessment of those candidates were based on wildcards (that slipped through the net) rather than a "New Standard".

Ahh, I'd forgotten about the Dubs (easy enough to do :-) )

Perhaps PAS just reckon the rest of the country are more honest and wouldn't do something like ask a friend to sit the test for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Boxer50

Does anyone know how exactly the assessment is marked when they clearly state there are no right or wrong answers, seems the older I get the higher up I'm graded, fed up of the whole process, tbh. And the Tco process is getting harder every year too with competency based interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Boxer50

I've done exactly what you said in the last Tco comp and this permanent comp, I was placed 34 in the tco's and 990 in the permanent. Totally frustrated at this stage! Fed up is an under statement

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ShellBell89

Boxer50 wrote: »
    I've done exactly what you said in the last Tco comp and this permanent comp, I was placed 34 in the tco's and 990 in the permanent. Totally frustrated at this stage! Fed up is an under statement

Ya so frustrating!! I placed 25 in TCO comp and in 300s in CO comp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

It's as if people don't realize there's a period of mass unemployment happening right now and ergo more a huge amount of more applicants for this year than in quite a long time. People need to make a note of this when comparing OOM with previous campaigns

Advertisement