Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,314 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

That generation of Civic's reminds me of when I was at college and people started driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Garzard

That generation of Civic's reminds me of when I was at college and people started driving!

There were at least 6 of those in my estate in the late 90's I was a kid. Numerous Rover SD1's as well. I always wonder where they ended up.

Scholarstown Road, Knocklyon

510972.jpg

Garzard wrote: »
    There were at least 6 of those in my estate in the late 90's I was a kid. Numerous Rover SD1's as well. I always wonder where they ended up.

There was lots of Gtec stickers and badges stuck on!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Scholarstown Road, Knocklyon

510972.jpg

Knocklyon is a treasure trove it seems.

• Advertisement

Knocklyon is a treasure trove it seems.

Quite a lot pass through alright but I haven't seen any parked up in driveways in any of the areas around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

gammygils wrote: »
    And there's a couple above the bushes spying on her I notice :P

They’re going “some lunatic is taking pictures of a Rover”

From the cycle cam - Ailesbury Road, Donnybrook earlier

511363.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

unless you lived in some sort of time warp estate where half was in the late 90's and the other half was in the late 70's I doubt there was numerous SD1s ! :D

Rover SD1

280px-Rover_sd1_club.jpg

RobAMerc wrote: »
    unless you lived in some sort of time warp estate where half was in the late 90's and the other half was in the late 70's I doubt there was numerous SD1s ! :D

Born in the early 90's so not sure how regular of a car it was in Ireland by then but there were three here that I recall. One family had a brown one on our row up until 1998. The row behind us had another two in red and black. Although they were both gone IIRC by the time the millennium came around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I doubt there was numerous SD1s ! :D
    It's possible I suppose, the late 90s was only 12-13 years after the end of SD1 production. SD1s rusted pretty badly but there was no NCT in the late 90s.

The Rover 75 is longer out of production in 2020 than the SD1 was in the late 90s!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

BrianD3 wrote: »
    It's possible I suppose, the late 90s was only 12-13 years after the end of SD1 production. SD1s rusted pretty badly but there was no NCT in the late 90s.
    Thats what I was thinking too. The SD1 ceased production in 1986 so it would hardly be inconceivable that there would be a number of them knocking around an estate in the late 90's. In particular if there was a Rover dealer in close proximity at around that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

A pub owner in Nenagh bought one new in the early 80s and still had it up to 98

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Nenagh
    1ldSFYr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Oh, that's nice. Original Irish too? John Moloney dealer sticker etc. Many many years since I've seen a R21 of any description on our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

m17 wrote: »
    Nenagh
    [...]

LOL, I thought I saw that badge says "Infection"! :D:o;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Oh, that's nice. Original Irish too? John Moloney dealer sticker etc. Many many years since I've seen a R21 of any description on our roads.

I'm wondering would that be the same John Moloney who did rallycross in Mondello around the same time that car was sold?.

I saw this ad earlier I know it's not a car but an ad I spotted online from the Examiner in 1991. I haven't seen any of them in a while.

95381124_257324212124100_1176994534307921920_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=fMj_CfbXutMAX_4iszH&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=3804a0490e477cb0ccc84c7a0d025102&oe=5ED3A9BA

The Calibra was such a cool machine in 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Cool? The exact opposite, it kept bursting into flames!

• Advertisement

I never realised they used to spontaneously combust. Bit like the Zafari so.

When I think of the Calibra all I think of is Veronica Guerin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

My girlfriends sister's 1996 Opel Corsa wouldn't start in our driveway today. I tried to jump it off mine but with no luck, I'd say the battery is fried.

Some heap of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

95 Mitsubishi FTO spotted in Galway. Don't know what's going on in the bumper area :confused:

lvtvUnql.jpg

85 Carina in Tuam with it's great grandchild close by :p

n7VQRS0l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Thought I was a really nice looking car, I was at the dealer launch back then. Got to drive them from the transporter to the display areas. :P

From Saturday, Bride St I think.

512000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Drop dead gorgeous Jaguar XJ6 (or 12) Coupe in Cavan yesterday.
    Fire engine red, on a ZV plate, mid 1970's look about it.
    Made an emergency parking manoeuvre to get a pic, and he pulled away before I got the phone up...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

From Saturday, Bride St I think.

512000.jpg

That's weird!

There's a 94 beside me. But I was about to take a picture when I got the stares as my neighbour drove up behind it so I didn't want to be looking like I was monitoring the parking.

Will try get a pic tomorrow.

That's weird!

There's a 94 beside me. But I was about to take a picture when I got the stares as my neighbour drove up behind it so I didn't want to be looking like I was monitoring the parking.

Will try get a pic tomorrow.

Funny - I was wondering does anyone else get that; I'm always wary of getting those looks or even being confronted when taking pictures of old cars so try doing it discreetly - harder to do though when it's in a driveway and there's also the angle of respecting someone's privacy doing that. It hasn't happened yet though so it could just be another unfounded concern of mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Funny - I was wondering does anyone else get that; I'm always wary of getting those looks or even being confronted when taking pictures of old cars so try doing it discreetly - harder to do though when it's in a driveway and there's also the angle of respecting someone's privacy doing that. It hasn't happened yet though so it could just be another unfounded concern of mine.

If the owner is around, just politely ask. Most won't mind. Hell, I get asked all the time, if it's ok to take pictures of one of mine, when I'm out in the older stuff.

/M

Advertisement