Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Trying to find laochra gaels on you tube recently but can only find the recent ones......anyone know / could guide me to a link for Flynn’s/ Mcgraths and Mullanes ones.....?

Also was trying to find the 2007 cork v Waterford replay 1/4 ........again I could get all other games practically bar this one......came across such classics as a 1992 league game v Dublin 1/4 final Which we lost........also there is footage of the roanmore v ballyduff 1987 co final......

This should keep you going!

https://www.youtube.com/user/conorryan79

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgpj8lDeyJl5Uow8ZHJtYRl_w7iGjVoP_

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

It was a far better sport to watch back then . 2004 Munster final a great proper game of hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Was he not 34 at that stage? I know there's a lot of accounts of his laziness for physical training, but at the same time I've seen lads in recent times perform at a high level with question marks over there fitness too.

Yes he was. Obviously in younger years the fitness demands of the game were not as prominent and his natural fitness and sheer hurling genius was enough,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

His day was done by the time Davy came. The game had evolved to a new level in terms of fitness and the days of lads justifying strolling around with a fat arse because their so talented was gone

That's a bit harsh. He hurled for 15 years for Waterford, his time was up that was all. I think most of us start getting a fat arse come our mid 30's anyway!

• Advertisement

Watching the 04 munster final the other night Flynn was probably the most beautiful striker of the ball Ive seen, almost like a golf stroke

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Watching the 04 munster final the other night Flynn was probably the most beautiful striker of the ball Ive seen, almost like a golf stroke

I played golf with him once. It was a pleasure to stand back and watch his swing. He was very pleasant company too.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

That's a bit harsh. He hurled for 15 years for Waterford, his time was up that was all. I think most of us start getting a fat arse come our mid 30's anyway!

There's one thing for sure about Flynn, we would have won f*ck all without him - Minor, U21 and Senior. It's easy to forget how good he actually was.

People talk about him being lazy and it's justified but they never talk about the hours he spent hitting balls above in Ballygunner perfecting his striking. It's great to see that it paid off for us in 92, 94, 2002 and 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

Deise Gael wrote:
    There's one thing for sure about Flynn, we would have won f*ck all without him - Minor, U21 and Senior. It's easy to forget how good he actually was.

Agreed , he was our most talented ever . People forget he was only 17 when he played in the under 21 final and replay against Offaly, fairly sure he got a goal the first day. He really should have gotten more than one All Star

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

deisedude wrote: »
    Only found mullanes loachra Gael amongst those. No sign of Flynn of McGrath’s or the 2007 1/4 final replay v cork....??? Can anyone else assist....?��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Only found mullanes loachra Gael amongst those. No sign of Flynn of McGrath’s or the 2007 1/4 final replay v cork....??? Can anyone else assist....?��

I think I saw somewhere that Ken's one is on TG4 on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Kind of in a unknown situation atm in terms of Liam Cahills plans. He is only on a 2 year term and the first year has turned into a mess mind you out of his control

Players working away on there own programmes at home

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    Agreed , he was our most talented ever . People forget he was only 17 when he played in the under 21 final and replay against Offaly, fairly sure he got a goal the first day. He really should have gotten more than one All Star

Yeah he was minor in 92, only came on as a sub in the drawn game and scored a goal to draw the game. Started the replay and scored 6 points, he was the difference that day

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ovalu

His day was done by the time Davy came. The game had evolved to a new level in terms of fitness and the days of lads justifying strolling around with a fat arse because their so talented was gone

His 16th year playing senior for Waterford and that's the thanks you get

ovalu wrote: »
    His 16th year playing senior for Waterford and that's the thanks you get

If you look back on a previous post I said the guy was a genius. Never once doubted his contribution, someone brought up that he was unhappy with Davy Fitz in 08. Having being part of a coup that ousted Justin earlier in the year I’m just stating facts the guy was overweight and unfit in in 08’ and that wouldn’t be tolerated in today’s game. The only lads that survive into their mid 30d now are absolute freaks of nature like Brick Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Agreed... outside of my own county he was my favourite player to watch.. absolute genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭ForestFire

If I remember correctly........

back in those days there was 3 nominees for each position.....none of this, sure he was up in the forwards somewhere, lets move him around to give him an all-star. (Or he played halfback in one game in the league and there's a spot free there we can use)

And again every year Paul Flynn was nominated, he was in the same group with DJ Carey with AN another, and DJ Carey almost took them all by default back then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

He sure did:

I can divide my support for Waterford into before and after that drawn game. I went along just so I could say I saw us in an All-Ireland final, no expectations at all. After it, the sky was the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

deiseach wrote: »
    He sure did:

I can divide my support for Waterford into before and after that drawn game. I went along just so I could say I saw us in an All-Ireland final, no expectations at all. After it, the sky was the limit.

Flynn also got the winning goal in the 1994 Munster U21 final against Clare in Fermoy off Frank Lohan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Motivator

Deise Gael wrote: »

People talk about him being lazy and it's justified but they never talk about the hours he spent hitting balls above in Ballygunner perfecting his striking. It's great to see that it paid off for us in 92, 94, 2002 and 2004.

Flynner was brilliant in 2007 as well. The Munster Final he was class and the two Quarter Finals he was brilliant as well. He was poor against Limerick in the semi but he was out three weeks in a row. Only Tony Browne was older than him then but Tony was different gravy.

For those saying Flynner was unfit in 2008 - the whole panel were. That’s well documented and it’s one of the reasons why Justin got the bullet. He ballsed up the fitness and conditioning of the entire panel In the spring and they were all unfit. Davy Fitz came in and ran them non stop for two months which is well and good if you’re in your mid 20s and have a physique like Mullane or Eoin Kelly but Flynner wasn’t ever going to get fit in two months when he was 34. Not really on to have a pop at one player when they were all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭razorronan

I think this saying sums up Flynn best. "Talent does what it can, Genius does what it must"

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Anyone else watch the 2017 All-Ireland final on Sunday? It was my first time watching it back and I didn't realise how much of a missed opportunity it was. The wides, particularly in the 2nd half killed us and I always remembered Moran's particularly poor miss in the 47th minute to put us 2 clear and looking back, it was a huge moment, Galway got the next point from the puckout and the next 3 after it.

This wasn't the only miss while Galway only hit 2 wides in the 2nd half and one of those was from Jason Flynn in stoppage time. Waterford were every bit as good as Galway on the day and put in a good performance but missed the chances. Still can't understand the logic of taking off Barron even if he was unwell, still seemed to moving OK and getting through an amount of work.

It's a mystery to how over the next 2 years, we failed to win a championship match and took a few awful hiding with the majority of the same players.

Anyone else watch the 2017 All-Ireland final on Sunday? It was my first time watching it back and I didn't realise how much of a missed opportunity it was. The wides, particularly in the 2nd half killed us and I always remembered Moran's particularly poor miss in the 47th minute to put us 2 clear and looking back, it was a huge moment, Galway got the next point from the puckout and the next 3 after it.

This wasn't the only miss while Galway only hit 2 wides in the 2nd half and one of those was from Jason Flynn in stoppage time. Waterford were every bit as good as Galway on the day and put in a good performance but missed the chances. Still can't understand the logic of taking off Barron even if he was unwell, still seemed to moving OK and getting through an amount of work.

It's a mystery to how over the next 2 years, we failed to win a championship match and took a few awful hiding with the majority of the same players.

Moran gave away possession 3 times at minimum,resulting in 3 scores for galway,

Its not fair to isolate 1 players,particularly 1 as good a servent for us,but it cant be ignored either

I counted 7 to 8 scores,that were easily enough given up aswell,particularly for an all ireland

though 2nd goal we got was soft enough,taught shane bennett had beating of galway full back,before being injured.....its sickening to look back,and how far we have slipped in a short time

• Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

And when it looked like we had the makings of a good squad this year this virus comes along and ****s everything up

The 2017 AI final still hurts

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Moran gave away possession 3 times at minimum,resulting in 3 scores for galway,

Its not fair to isolate 1 players,particularly 1 as good a servent for us,but it cant be ignored either

I counted 7 to 8 scores,that were easily enough given up aswell,particularly for an all ireland

though 2nd goal we got was soft enough,taught shane bennett had beating of galway full back,before being injured.....its sickening to look back,and how far we have slipped in a short time

I prefer to think of Kevin Moran getting our first goal and a point in the match to steady the (at that stage quite wobbly) ship when things were looking as if it was going to be a replay of the nightmare of 2008.

Deskjockey wrote: »
    I prefer to think of Kevin Moran getting our first goal and a point in the match to steady the (at that stage quite wobbly) ship when things were looking as if it was going to be a replay of the nightmare of 2008.

I can still remember when we went 4 points to 0 down after a few minutes Without touching the ball thinking ‘oh no here we go again‘. Then Moran ran at the defence and got in for that brilliant individual goal and thankfully things settled down. Overall while we gave a great account of ourselves the better team won. That was a crafty Galway side that were not going to lie down like previous galwayteams before them.They were too shrewd for us

Deise Gael wrote: »
    Flynn also got the winning goal in the 1994 Munster U21 final against Clare in Fermoy off Frank Lohan.

How did they get such a hammering from KK in that semi final, were there any players missing or got sent off? Or we just weren't at the races and KK just really good?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

How did they get such a hammering from KK in that semi final, were there any players missing or got sent off? Or we just weren't at the races and KK just really good?

Hardly vintage kilkenny team maybe ye just weren't that good

Hardly vintage kilkenny team maybe ye just weren't that good

Hardly a poor KK team either, Peter Barry, Philly Larkin, Brian McEvoy, PJ Delaney, Denis Byrne... no shortage of AI medals On their mantle pieces.

Waterford were a bit of a one man forward line in Munster. with Flynn running riot on his own, but KK managed to curtail him in the semi.

• Advertisement

Hardly a poor KK team either, Peter Barry, Philly Larkin, Brian McEvoy, PJ Delaney, Denis Byrne... no shortage of AI medals On their mantle pieces.

Waterford were a bit of a one man forward line in Munster. with Flynn running riot on his own, but KK managed to curtail him in the semi.

Yeah that was a very good KK team going by those names..it was strange having munster v leinster semi final though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement