Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

De Bromhead ? A trainer is only as good as the horses under his care. Henry is a nice fella (and a good 'trainer') but I'm sure he would be embarrassed having his name included in this conversation.

O'Shea .... won a shed load of trophies but more functional then inspirational. I would have Paddy Coad before 'Sheasey'.

John Keane has to be there (the greatest of them all). Brick must be on the shortlist.

John O'Shea is one of Ireland's top footballers of all time, never mind Waterford.

Your logic about a trainer only being as good as his horses is mad. That's like saying Brian Cody isn't a great of Kilkenny hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

hardybuck wrote: »
    John O'Shea is one of Ireland's top footballers of all time, never mind Waterford.

Your logic about a trainer only being as good as his horses is mad. That's like saying Brian Cody isn't a great of Kilkenny hurling.

Anyone familiar with horse racing would be aware of Charles O Brien, son of Vincent, who proved that training is an extremely important role. He was a total disaster. However it has very little to do with Waterford hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Anyone familiar with horse racing would be aware of Charles O Brien, son of Vincent, who proved that training is an extremely important role. He was a total disaster. However it has very little to do with Waterford hurling.

You’re right, it has little to do with hurling ; it’s a diversion of sorts.

If you think trainers are so worthy, maybe James Galwey (trainer of Master McGrath) could be included ; without the trainer, the dog mightn’t have ran as fast as he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

You’re right, it has little to do with hurling ; it’s a diversion of sorts.

If you think trainers are so worthy, maybe James Galwey (trainer of Master McGrath) could be included ; without the trainer, the dog mightn’t have ran as fast as he did.

Possibly, it would depend entirely on the opinion of the individual selecting the 4 and I don't know much about Mr Galwey. However the merits of Henry De Bromhead would be very strong. Watch the athleticism his horses show over fences, like those of no other trainer are they capable of getting close to the fence while having the flexibility to get their back legs over. Obviously this helps maintain speed while jumping, which I think is why he tends to be more associated with champion chase style horses rather than gold cup ones. Jane Mangan did a very good piece on this a few months ago.

He would be in my 4 along with John Tracey, John O Shea and John Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

mount Rushmore four for me would be:
    John treacy
    John o Shea
    lay lay Barry
    Val Doonican

nice mix there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    mount Rushmore four for me would be:
    John treacy
    John o Shea
    lay lay Barry
    Val Doonican

nice mix there

Good mix. I'd swap out Val for Gilbert O`Sullivan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

https://ourgame.ie/best-waterford-xv-1995-2020/

Picked a team myself before watching the video had 13 of the 15 the lads selected

SOK

Eoin Murphy
    De Burca ( not a natural fb i know but problem position)
    Connors

Tony
    Brick
    Moran

Barron
    Ken

Dan
    Glesson
    Pauric mahony

Mullane
    Eoin Kelly
    Flynn

Not a waterford man myself ill add...

Seamus prendergast, Stephen molumphy and Philip mahony hardest done by to not make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭deisedude

https://ourgame.ie/best-waterford-xv-1995-2020/

Picked a team myself before watching the video had 13 of the 15 the lads selected

SOK

Eoin Murphy
    De Burca ( not a natural fb i know but problem position)
    Connors

Tony
    Brick
    Moran

Barron
    Ken

Dan
    Glesson
    Pauric mahony

Mullane
    Eoin Kelly
    Flynn

Not a waterford man myself ill add...

Seamus prendergast, Stephen molumphy and Philip mahony hardest done by to not make it.

I'd go with

SOK

Eoin Murphy
    Hartley
    Connors

Tony
    Ken
    Moran

Barron
    Brick

Dan
    Seamus P
    Pauric mahony

Mullane
    Eoin Kelly
    Flynn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

1. SOK
    2. Eoin Murphy
    3. Cullinane
    4. Connors
    5. Tony B
    6. Hartley
    7. T D Burca
    8. Barron
    9. Brick
    10. Kelly
    11. Ken McGrath
    12. Shanahan
    13. Mullane
    14. Prendergast
    15. Flynn

Honourable mentions: Gleeson, Moran, Molumphy, Frampton, Maurice Shan, Paudie Mahony,

• Advertisement

Gardner wrote: »
    Kelly is a drug cheat so shouldn't be on list.

It's John O'Shea all day. won everything at the highest level

Whatever about Kelly being a drug cheat, you obviously have all the the inside knowledge so fair play. Is he a Waterford man is the real question? I heard him being asked before whether he was Waterford or Tipp and he didn’t give a straight answer. That’s the biggest crime for me.

As for John O’Shea, mediocre player. Had a great career and fair play to him for what he achieved but if you were talking about atheletes that were at the top of their sport in terms of ability he was well back.

deisedude wrote: »
    Off the Ball have been doing a Mount Rushmore for all counties which got me to thinking who would be on the Waterford Mount Rushmore

All sports
    • John Treacy (Oympic Silver medallist at LA 84 in the marathon)
    • Sean Kelly (Multiple winner of stages at the Tour de France and Vuelta Espana in cycling)
    • John O'Shea (118 international caps, Irish captain, 5 premier leagues and champions league winner)
    • Tom Cheasty (1 all Ireland, 3 Munsters and 5 County Titles)

How about picking 4 hurlers for a Waterford hurling Mount Rushmore. I'm going to keep mine to hurlers from 1998 as thats how long I've been going to games since as a child
    Ken McGrath
    Tony Browne
    Brick Walsh
    John Mullane

Paul Flynn unlucky to miss out

Have to be Ken McGrath for me, out of all the hurlers from the recent generation he was out on his own. Phenomal hurler, literally had everything.

Never seen John Keane but beleive he was of the same mould and unlike the recent generation, holds an AI medal. So from a hurling point of view a toss up between Keane and Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Have to be Ken McGrath for me, out of all the hurlers from the recent generation he was out on his own. Phenomal hurler, literally had everything.

Never seen John Keane but beleive he was of the same mould and unlike the recent generation, holds an AI medal. So from a hurling point of view a toss up between Keane and Ken

Ken and Tony are absolute gents, and that factors a big bit into my opinion, went to school with mullane, he;s mellowed as years have gone by but he was magnanimous back in the day ,john o'shea too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭thesultan

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/04/10/waterford-shc-team-of-the-decade-2010-2020/#.XpGHxSDhRkx

A bit of a joke. Most of it based on where they played for Waterford.
    Connors never played corner back for passage. Mórán was either centre back or midfield.
    McNulty was mainly a wing back.
    Keefe's Puck outs at club level were hardly inspiring..

If you’re not already aware, the centrepiece of the weekend is the ‘04 Munster final (Sunday, TG4 @ 2pm).

I see that it clashes with ‘Casablanca’ on RTÉ ; 2 timeless classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Good mix. I'd swap out Val for Gilbert O`Sullivan though.

yeah Gilbert could make it in ... but he'd have to play another hometown gig before that could happen... maybe in the factory or the woodlands or somewhere like that

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

What about Robert Boyle, Ernest Walton, William Vincent Wallace, TF Meagher or even Luke Wadding. Not sports people but world famous Waterford people who have left a profound and lasting legacy in their different fields.

Deise Gael wrote: »
    What about Robert Boyle, Ernest Walton, William Vincent Wallace, TF Meagher or even Luke Wadding. Not sports people but world famous Waterford people who have left a profound and lasting legacy in their different fields.

Not forgetting Chris Doran.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

Not forgetting Chris Doran.

and Dale Hayes and the Champions!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

what i wouldn't give to be heading to a match tomorrow

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    what i wouldn't give to be heading to a match tomorrow

tg4 2pm sunday , 2004 munster final,i have a good feeling about this one

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

tg4 2pm sunday , 2004 munster final,i have a good feeling about this one

Hard to know Cork are Munster champions and beaten All Ireland finalists. We only beat Tipp with a last min goal by Paul O Brian. Looking forward to the match and trip ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Gardner

De Bromhead ? A trainer is only as good as the horses under his care. Henry is a nice fella (and a good 'trainer') but I'm sure he would be embarrassed having his name included in this conversation.

O'Shea .... won a shed load of trophies but more functional then inspirational. I would have Paddy Coad before 'Sheasey'.

John Keane has to be there (the greatest of them all). Brick must be on the shortlist.

your listening to too many auld lads in the pub. John Keane played intercounty hurling from 1932 to 1951. you never seen him play intercounty and id say there is very little full match coverage of him if any so you are basing your information on secondary source. any games that RTE or TG4 have showed from the 40s, 50s 60 etc you will know that the standard of hurling compared to the modern game is somewhere close to Junior C level. get a grip with John Keane :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Gardner

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Stick to watching the chav's game on the tv lad.

The only time you hit a ball off the ground was when you fell on your face on the way home from the pub.:D:D

i'd be more of a GAA fan than a football fan but what i do recognize is sportsmen and their achievements based on fact and not hearsay as in Freddies view nor just because i prefer one sport over the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭thesultan

Did any of yee see the leader this week. Hurling team from 70 on. Knocking older hurling but Eddie keher would be a certainty..

04 munster final on now

Will we ever see days like it again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Pity the picture quality is so poor.

Remember how the jersey kissing used to infuriate hurling fans around the country.

Gardner wrote: »
    your listening to too many auld lads in the pub. John Keane played intercounty hurling from 1932 to 1951. you never seen him play intercounty and id say there is very little full match coverage of him if any so you are basing your information on secondary source. any games that RTE or TG4 have showed from the 40s, 50s 60 etc you will know that the standard of hurling compared to the modern game is somewhere close to Junior C level. get a grip with John Keane :D:D

Don't just take my word on John Keane. See attached link - it's quite long but if your attention span can make it through the first section, I rest my case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Keane_(hurler)

hardybuck wrote: »
    Pity the picture quality is so poor.

Remember how the jersey kissing used to infuriate hurling fans around the country.

its amazing even in hd it's hard to follow the sliotar, was nearly crying weatching it again, somehow knowing the result it still felt in the pot, the final words doc managed to do some upscaling on the footage, and is a great watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peAFdYkxbVo

some of the media posted about it too

https://www.the42.ie/2004-munster-hurling-final-waterford-cork-takeaways-5072655-Apr2020/

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/waterford-v-cork-munster-hurling-21842578

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/hurling-news/john-mullane-interview-waterford-cork2004-21847363

for some reason the footage didnt include the i loves me county interview which to me is criminal , great to see twitter lighting up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Don't just take my word on John Keane. See attached link - it's quite long but if your attention span can make it through the first section, I rest my case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Keane_(hurler)

seek out David Smith's wonderful biography of Waterford's greatest hurler

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement