Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Would say the Walsh Park redevelopment is out the window with all that's going on

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

https://soundcloud.com/sportsjoe-gaa-hour/2004-munster-final-review-show-incl-paul-flynn-interview

Interesting discussion on the 2004 Munster final including an interview with Paul Flynn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I missed the 04 repeat the other night but reckon I know that match off by heart I have seen it so many times. Do ye remember when they released the naughties Waterford box set maybe 6 or 7 years ago? Best gift I ever got.

It's interesting comparing that Waterford team under Justin to the current crop when they reached an AI semi and Final etc. On overall balance, Dereks team probably had more of an even quality to it but my God that naughties team had some really special players that we probably won't see again in Waterford on one team. That's whats elevates them above. The style of hurling in that era was just so much more appealing to me too. If you look through that Cork team too, it's just stock full of fantastic players. There was definitely more room for individual flair back then but the game has moved on and evolved I guess. I'd be lying if I said I enjoy it as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭deisedude

redlead wrote: »
    I missed the 04 repeat the other night but reckon I know that match off by heart I have seen it so many times. Do ye remember when they released the naughties Waterford box set maybe 6 or 7 years ago? Best gift I ever got.

It's interesting comparing that Waterford team under Justin to the current crop when they reached an AI semi and Final etc. On overall balance, Dereks team probably had more of an even quality to it but my God that naughties team had some really special players that we probably won't see again in Waterford on one team. That's whats elevates them above. The style of hurling in that era was just so much more appealing to me too. If you look through that Cork team too, it's just stock full of fantastic players. There was definitely more room for individual flair back then but the game has moved on and evolved I guess. I'd be lying if I said I enjoy it as much.

We were always short in the fullback line and goalkeeper during the noughties. If we had the goalkeeper and fullback line from Dereks team and put it in the noughties team it would have been more balanced and stronger

deisedude wrote: »
    We were always short in the fullback line and goalkeeper during the noughties. If we had the goalkeeper and fullback line from Dereks team and put it in the noughties team it would have been more balanced and stronger

It was questionable how Stevie Brenner was even getting on the DLS team, don't mind say Waterford. He put in great effort and all that but really wasn't up to it.

To be fair to Declan Prendergast he was a very good player, but the way we played would leave any FB over exposed at times. When he moved out to wing back in later years under Davy, he had a mini renaissance. Davy just came in and did the obvious in 08, put our best player into our most troublesome position and it worked to an extent. I don't think anyone scored a point from play against Ken and he had the cynicism in him to do a Sean Cavanagh on it if required (something none of our previous FBs ever seemed to have). He was like a caged lion though. When he moved back to CB for the semi he was absolutely magnificent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

It was questionable how Stevie Brenner was even getting on the DLS team, don't mind say Waterford. He put in great effort and all that but really wasn't up to it.

To be fair to Declan Prendergast he was a very good player, but the way we played would leave any FB over exposed at times. When he moved out to wing back in later years under Davy, he had a mini renaissance. Davy just came in and did the obvious in 08, put our best player into our most troublesome position and it worked to an extent. I don't think anyone scored a point from play against Ken and he had the cynicism in him to do a Sean Cavanagh on it if required (something none of our previous FBs ever seemed to have). He was like a caged lion though. When he moved back to CB for the semi he was absolutely magnificent.

Not sure if you read the book 'Last Man Standing' which featured a number of goalkeepers including Brennar, but it was an excellent read.

Brennar went into some detail about the mind games Justin played with him, probably thinking they'd help improve his performance, but which seemed to totally backfire. He seemed to lose his confidence in being told by Justin that he wasn't sure if he'd be first choice, and then by dropping him at different stages during the spring. To compound matters, he had a back injury in the leadup to the Munster final and a lot of that wouldn't have been known publicly at the time.

You'd feel that the 04 team with the current goalkeepers and full back would be strong contenders for an All Ireland in the current era.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

It was questionable how Stevie Brenner was even getting on the DLS team, don't mind say Waterford. He put in great effort and all that but really wasn't up to it. .

Shortly after Justin came in early 02’ he decided Brenner was to be his first choice keeper. he was number 2 to Brendan Landers for a number of years. Landers took exception to this and subsequently left the panel as he didn’t want to sit in the bench having been first choice for so long. Brenner had solid years in 02 and 03 but the wheels came off in 04 particularly that Munster final v Cork. Justin still never turned back to Landers after Brenners form collapsed, firstly went to Ian O’Regan, back to Brenner again, eventually settling with Clinton Hennessy who had a decent stretch as first choice keeper. Landers was lost unnecessarily and prematurely. Worth noting that he was actually younger than Brenner. For 3 or 4 years people spoke about our goalkeeping position being Achilles heel while the best keeper in the county was sitting in the stands as a spectator. A decision that Justin made in early 02 was to be his undoing further down the line

RIP. He was a proud man after his grandson collected AI minor and U21 medals

Shortly after Justin came in early 02’ he decided Brenner was to be his first choice keeper. he was number 2 to Brendan Landers for a number of years. Landers took exception to this and subsequently left the panel as he didn’t want to sit in the bench having been first choice for so long. Brenner had solid years in 02 and 03 but the wheels came off in 04 particularly that Munster final v Cork. Justin still never turned back to Landers after Brenners form collapsed, firstly went to Ian O’Regan, back to Brenner again, eventually settling with Clinton Hennessy who had a decent stretch as first choice keeper. Landers was lost unnecessarily and prematurely. Worth noting that he was actually younger than Brenner. For 3 or 4 years people spoke about our goalkeeping position being Achilles heel while the best keeper in the county was sitting in the stands as a spectator. A decision that Justin made in early 02 was to be his undoing further down the line

My memory of it was Iggy played the 2004 semi final and think he made a bad blunder against Toomevara in a Munster Club final as I recall later that year. Have some notion of somebody saying at the time it dented his confidence.

But I definitely remember Clinton Hennessey playing in the opener in 2005 league against Kilkenny in Walsh Park. Biggest crowd I can remember there. Dunno if Brenner played a league game again but was sure he didn't play championship anyway?

• Advertisement

My memory of it was Iggy played the 2004 semi final and think he made a bad blunder against Toomevara in a Munster Club final as I recall later that year. Have some notion of somebody saying at the time it dented his confidence.

But I definitely remember Clinton Hennessey playing in the opener in 2005 league against Kilkenny in Walsh Park. Biggest crowd I can remember there. Dunno if Brenner played a league game again but was sure he didn't play championship anyway?

Brenner was back again in 05, a round robin qualifier game against Clare in Ennis. He had an absolute shocker. Both him and Iggy were gone from the panel the following year. Iggy was brought back by skully Ryan 7 or 8 years later (he’s married to his daughter) and kept his place on the panel up until last year.

In fairness to Iggy thought he was a decent keeper. Clinton was solid, would be rare he'd make a mistake but wouldn't say he had any sort of x-factor shot stopping ability.

We didn't see that really till Power and O'Keeffe came along. Now Nolan and O'Brien in there as well there's an embarrassment of riches in the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

did Clinton Hennessey live abroad up until 2005 ?? Adrian Power had so much potential and a monster puck out but never made it sadly and moved again didnt he ?

2005 was a pretty odd year in the championship. It was a new format (AI qualifers were in a round robin, both Provincal finalists into an 8 team AI QFs) and we were once again drawn against Cork in the Munster Semi Final and ended up playing them again in the All Ireland QFS. Remember there not been much hype around for the Munster Championship match for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭thesultan

Clinton was in the states.. Very solid. Moved back to Ardmore. Now living in Antrim. They was no one outstanding or solid until Clinton came along..

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Brenner was back again in 05, a round robin qualifier game against Clare in Ennis. He had an absolute shocker. Both him and Iggy were gone from the panel the following year. Iggy was brought back by skully Ryan 7 or 8 years later (he’s married to his daughter) and kept his place on the panel up until last year.

Iggy is not married

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I had a look at this yesterday, Brenner was actually back for the Munster semi final v Cork in 2005 and as you said above, kept on for the round robin series including that game v Clare in Ennis. For whatever reason I always seem to remember Clinton’s debut championship game was the AI quarter final against Cork that year as I can recall walking out of Croke Park that day bitterly disappointed about losing a game we probably should’ve won but at least happy we finally found ourselves a safe pair of hands in goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

I remember Clinton being very steady handed and never dropped a high ball or failed to control a low one. Just didn't really have that big save in him like SOK would.. .. the one he had no right to save but did.

I remember Clinton being very steady handed and never dropped a high ball or failed to control a low one. Just didn't really have that big save in him like SOK would.. .. the one he had no right to save but did.

anytime he was one on one always turned his back on the ball ,what use was that

anytime he was one on one always turned his back on the ball ,what use was that

The semi final v Limerick in 07 was not his finest hour

Please never mention that game. NEVER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I just had a look back over the 5 goals conceded that day, not sure if there was a whole lot he could have done about goals 1, 2, 4 and 5? For goal 3, there was a ruck near the end line, a Limerick player came out with it and passed across to Donie Ryan who smashed it first time to the net. Clinton wasn't even standing on the goal and was drawn in to the ruck, that's probably the only one I could fault him on. Did he do much else wrong that day?

Cake Man wrote: »
    I just had a look back over the 5 goals conceded that day, not sure if there was a whole lot he could have done about goals 1, 2, 4 and 5? For goal 3, there was a ruck near the end line, a Limerick player came out with it and passed across to Donie Ryan who smashed it first time to the net. Clinton wasn't even standing on the goal and was drawn in to the ruck, that's probably the only one I could fault him on. Did he do much else wrong that day?

I think Hennessy was a solid keeper for us and served us well but I guess the point is that a keeper like SOK would save maybe one out of three shots that you wouldn't expect a keeper to save. His subsequent puckout might end up in the commentary box, but that's another matter.

Cake Man wrote: »

True, I wasn’t suggesting he was responsible, It’s more the abiding memory of that game is the sight of him being at sea while 5 goals flash past him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Clinton was a good keeper, very solid in terms of puck outs and ball distribution. I thought he was unlucky not to pick up an all star at least one of the years from 06-10. Limerick had their shooting boots on that day all good finishes and I don't think he could have done much about any of them. The 7 goal munster final was a disaster but that was mainly down to Tipp targeting and cleaning out a poor full back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ovalu

Clinton was a good keeper, very solid in terms of puck outs and ball distribution. I thought he was unlucky not to pick up an all star at least one of the years from 06-10. Limerick had their shooting boots on that day all good finishes and I don't think he could have done much about any of them. The 7 goal munster final was a disaster but that was mainly down to Tipp targeting and cleaning out a poor full back line.

If Clinton had returned from Boston a year earlier I think we'd have won the all ireland in 2004, if I remember correctly he was back playing club with Ardmore that year but wasn't yet called up to the county panel. 04 was our best team apart from goalkeeping, I think Flynn was prob past it after that

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

ovalu wrote: »
    If Clinton had returned from Boston a year earlier I think we'd have won the all ireland in 2004, if I remember correctly he was back playing club with Ardmore that year but wasn't yet called up to the county panel. 04 was our best team apart from goalkeeping, I think Flynn was prob past it after that

Flynn probably should of went after 2007 and I reckon he regrets it as from reading books and stuff he didn't get on with Davy and was critical of his techniques

Flynn only getting his senior all Ireland appearance as a sub when it was just pride to play for

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Flynn probably should of went after 2007 and I reckon he regrets it as from reading books and stuff he didn't get on with Davy and was critical of his techniques

Flynn only getting his senior all Ireland appearance as a sub when it was just pride to play for

his laochra gael covers this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Trying to find laochra gaels on you tube recently but can only find the recent ones......anyone know / could guide me to a link for Flynn’s/ Mcgraths and Mullanes ones.....?

Also was trying to find the 2007 cork v Waterford replay 1/4 ........again I could get all other games practically bar this one......came across such classics as a 1992 league game v Dublin 1/4 final Which we lost........also there is footage of the roanmore v ballyduff 1987 co final......

his laochra gael covers this

His day was done by the time Davy came. The game had evolved to a new level in terms of fitness and the days of lads justifying strolling around with a fat arse because their so talented was gone

• Advertisement

His day was done by the time Davy came. The game had evolved to a new level in terms of fitness and the days of lads justifying strolling around with a fat arse because their so talented was gone

Was he not 34 at that stage? I know there's a lot of accounts of his laziness for physical training, but at the same time I've seen lads in recent times perform at a high level with question marks over there fitness too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement