Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Folks you're wasting your sweetness on the desert air discussing John Keane or anything pertaining to hurling with this boyo. He probably thought you were talking about John B Keane before he googled him.

If I thought it was worth the time I would tell him to seek out David Smith's wonderful biography of Waterford's greatest hurler but I fear reading isn't his forte. This bluffer's only source of info is from the lazy medium.

I have a copy of that book - great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Christ Ken McGrath was unbelievable in that game, an absolute hero. If Cork had won Sean Og would have been a worthy contender for man of the match too in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Outsider here but a travesty that waterford team didn't win all Ireland

They where a brilliant team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

C__MC wrote: »
    Outsider here but a travesty that waterford team didn't win all Ireland

They where a brilliant team

A travesty for sure Ken McGrath didn't at any rate. As another outsider, I couldn't rate the greatness of Deise hurlers but McGrath must be very near the top.

Didn't Ring say Keane was the best player he saw play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Gardner

Don't just take my word on John Keane. See attached link - it's quite long but if your attention span can make it through the first section, I rest my case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Keane_(hurler)

don't just take my word on it either but the internet and especially wikipedia will save you. your an absolute tulip if u think john keane is in the mix,
    even todays 2004 munster final on tg4 had its bad moments. not a hope in hell would those lads live in the modern game

Don't just take my word on John Keane. See

attached link - it's quite long but if your attention span can make it through the first section, I rest my case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Keane_(hurler)

on another note can you please post videos on john keane hurling so we can judge

Folks you're wasting your sweetness on the desert air discussing John Keane or anything pertaining to hurling with this boyo. He probably thought you were talking about John B Keane before he googled him.

If I thought it was worth the time I would tell him to seek out David Smith's wonderful biography of Waterford's greatest hurler but I fear reading isn't his forte. This bluffer's only source of info is from the lazy medium.

insert fact please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Centre back in the team of the millennium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Didn't Ring say Keane was the best player he saw play?

Dunno about Ring, but Mick Mackey said that "There never was, nor never will be, a greater hurler than John Keane of Waterford".

• Advertisement

Lay off the gargle boy you’re making a holy show of yourself. Centre back in the team of the millennium, I’d say you’d have to show him how to hold a hurley alright :rolleyes:

Just post a few facts boy. Not what you're auld lad or Mick Mackey said on the late late show

Gardner wrote: »
    Just post a few facts boy. Not what you're auld lad or Mick Mackey said on the late late show

What type facts are you looking for....yous post so far are severly lacking in them.anyway and are subjective at best

deiseach wrote: »
    Dunno about Ring, but Mick Mackey said that "There never was, nor never will be, a greater hurler than John Keane of Waterford".

Ring wouldn't get a game with St Paul's in the modern game boy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Well if a fella with a beer belly said it then it must be true. Ring wouldn't get a game with St Paul's in the modern game boy

Not even youre so ignorant to actually beleive that. It was not Rings fault the game had not evolved to the extent it has today, and emphasis’s on fitness levels were non existent in comparison to the current era. You can only be as good as the generation you exist in. If Ring, Keane, Mackey grew up in current era they’d be the best in the land

don't just take my word on it either but the internet and especially wikipedia will save you. your an absolute tulip if u think john keane is in the mix,

even todays 2004 munster final on tg4 had its bad moments. not a hope in hell would those lads live in the modern game

John Mullane wouldn't live in "the modern game"? He won all stars between 2009-2012 (was robbed in 2008). Just a few names of lads in competition in those year's Henry Shefflin, Eoin Kelly and maybe more importantly Tj Reid, Joe Canning, Seamus Callinan, Noel McGrath, Patrick Horgan.

Can you let me know if those lads would survive in the modern game?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

another stupid post.

John O'Shea is the 4th most decorated Irish footballer of all time (only beaten by Roy, Keane, Denis Irwin and Ronnie Whelan all on 19 trophies) and probably never beaten by any Waterford person anytime soon. He is then compared against a player who played from 1937 to 1961 and won 11 caps for ireland and never played across the water. Like my previous post, the standard of football and the League of Ireland then was utter ****e. There is a lot more evidence of these games and i have watched many over the years on multi tv channels.

Oh the show me your medals argument. Typical of you not being able to think for yourself.

That argument is as lazy as it is redundant. Keane, Irwin and Whelan were world class players and mainstays of their teams and actually responsible in a lot of cases for their sides victories.

John O'Shea played a bit part at most for a lot of the medals he has, often coming on as a late substitute to shore up the defence to defend a lead etc. He didn't even win his Champions League medal on the field of play. When he did play in a final in 2009 he was completely out of his depth pulled all over the place and responsible for Barcelona's second goal.

Facts dear boy!

I've a lot of respect for John O Shea, but this is not the place to have a debate on him or any other non-gaa athletes. I'm sure somebody could start the Mt Rushmore thing in the Waterford forum and get a lively debatem

Not even youre so ignorant to actually beleive that. It was not Rings fault the game had not evolved to the extent it has today, and emphasis’s on fitness levels were non existent in comparison to the current era. You can only be as good as the generation you exist in. If Ring, Keane, Mackey grew up in current era they’d be the best in the land

Best in land 😂 based upon what?

Oh the show me your medals argument. Typical of you not being able to think for yourself.

That argument is as lazy as it is redundant. Keane, Irwin and Whelan were world class players and mainstays of their teams and actually responsible in a lot of cases for their sides victories.

John O'Shea played a bit part at most for a lot of the medals he has, often coming on as a late substitute to shore up the defence to defend a lead etc. He didn't even win his Champions League medal on the field of play. When he did play in a final in 2009 he was completely out of his depth pulled all over the place and responsible for Barcelona's second goal.

Facts dear boy!

256 games for Manchester United. A bit part hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

256 games for Manchester United. A bit part hahaha

It's a pity you can't google how many he came on as a stop gap sub for a few minutes?

I see you have ignored the FACTS about the Champions League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

It's a pity you can't google how many he came on as a stop gap sub for a few minutes?

I see you have ignored the FACTS about the Champions League.

Err what facts, he was one of the better players for Utd that night

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/may/27/barcelona-manchester-united-player-ratings

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/champions-league/champions-league-final-manchester-united-player-ratings-26539386.html

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone see the rumour going around

Club games behind closed doors in June
    Munster/Leinster Championship in starting late July retaining current format with top 2 contesting the provincial final and All Ireland semi finals

All Ireland Final in October

Prov/AI Club championships going into 2021

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Anyone see the rumour going around

Club games behind closed doors in June
    Munster/Leinster Championship in starting late July retaining current format with top 2 contesting the provincial final and All Ireland semi finals

All Ireland Final in October

Prov/AI Club championships going into 2021

Pure nonsense I'd say

Best in land �� based upon what?

Based on my opinion.

Wondering with the current scenario would the lads that opted out, for example Shane Bennett, be having second thoughts. I know he wouldnt be able to puck a ball Now anyway but hardly envisaged sitting at home looking at 4 walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I wonder if there is anyone who has some time on their hands and dosent mind data entry could help finish a spreadsheet I started. Its all the underage titles from the last 5 years by club from U12 til U21. The results are available on the Waterford website. I would love to see the finished article but its just too mind numbing for me to do. heres what Ive done so far..

Club Western Titles Western losing Finalists Western hurling Titles Western football titles County Titles Losing county finalists County Hurling titles County Football titles
    Abbeyside/Ballinacourty 11 1 1 1
    An Gaeltacht 6 1 1
    Nire/Fourmilewater 6
    Naomh Brid/St Pats 5
    Clashmore/Kinsalebeg 3 1
    Brickeys 3
    Lismore 3 1
    St Olivers 2 1 1
    Affane/Cappoquin 2
    Dungarvan 1
    Kilrossanty 1 1
    Stradbally 1
    Cois bride 1
    Ardmore
    Ballyduff Upper 1 1
    1 1

PM if you want the spreadsheet or just copy the above table into your own spreadsheet if you wish. As you can see I have yet to do any eastern teams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

I wonder if there is anyone who has some time on their hands and dosent mind data entry could help finish a spreadsheet I started. Its all the underage titles from the last 5 years by club from U12 til U21. The results are available on the Waterford website. I would love to see the finished article but its just too mind numbing for me to do. heres what Ive done so far..

Club Western Titles Western losing Finalists Western hurling Titles Western football titles County Titles Losing county finalists County Hurling titles County Football titles
    Abbeyside/Ballinacourty 11 1 1 1
    An Gaeltacht 6 1 1
    Nire/Fourmilewater 6
    Naomh Brid/St Pats 5
    Clashmore/Kinsalebeg 3 1
    Brickeys 3
    Lismore 3 1
    St Olivers 2 1 1
    Affane/Cappoquin 2
    Dungarvan 1
    Kilrossanty 1 1
    Stradbally 1
    Cois bride 1
    Ardmore
    Ballyduff Upper 1 1
    1 1

PM if you want the spreadsheet or start your own spreadsheet if you wish. As you can see I have yet to do any eastern teams

you can create a wikipedia article so that it will be publicly available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

you can create a wikipedia article so that it will be publicly available

Oh jesus starting a Wikipedia article is probably beyond my capabilities too! To anyone whose interested the first column is completed i.e western titles, Abbeyside lead the way on 11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

come on the village!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I've a lot of respect for John O Shea, but this is not the place to have a debate on him or any other non-gaa athletes. I'm sure somebody could start the Mt Rushmore thing in the Waterford forum and get a lively debatem

Mod Warning

The conversation re those Waterford GAA players who would feature on Mount Rushmore is very interesting but this is not the appropriate thread to be discussing the merits or otherwise of John O Shea or other non GAA sportspeople presence on same.

Posters are reminded of the onus on them to post in a civil manner and not unneccesarily denigrate the opinions of their fellow posters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement