Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Reggie. wrote: »
    Another upgrade for this year

Well wear Reggie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭davidk1394

A fine looking machine and I hope you get plenty of good summers for it. How come you went with a Malone and not any other brands? Also are trailed mowers easier to operate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

Nice, I presume 3000 means 3m? What HP minimum does she need? As an aside, how come Malone never (tried to) put a grouper on their trailed mowers? Lack of demand maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

MfMan wrote: »
    Nice, I presume 3000 means 3m? What HP minimum does she need? As an aside, how come Malone never (tried to) put a grouper on their trailed mowers? Lack of demand maybe?

Groupers seem to be declining, around here anyway, now that rakes are taking over. Even if the crop isn't tedded out, the rake is used to pull 2 or 3 rows together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Just looking at Reggie's photo there got me thinking about a machinery shed we were discussing about putting up.
    I was of the opinion that if we could, opening it along a side instead of the gable would be a better option for ease of access to the machinery.

Am I right here or wrong? The problem would be the additional expense of doors along the side compared to the front.

• Advertisement

Just looking at Reggie's photo there got me thinking about a machinery shed we were discussing about putting up.
    I was of the opinion that if we could, opening it along a side instead of the gable would be a better option for ease of access to the machinery.

Am I right here or wrong? The problem would be the additional expense of doors along the side compared to the front.

That's an interesting question and have been toying with the idea of a machinery shed myself - just never got around to it

The access thing by having it open down the sides is a big thing - were you planning on putting shutters down each span of the shed? I was thinking of just having it open down 1 side

I suppose you're thinking of security

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭emaherx

Yes, my current machinery shed has door on gable end and is a pain. My plan is to knock it at some stage and build a lean-to type shed with open side. Can't just open it the way it is as it is a block shed with timber roof trusses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Panch18 wrote: »
    That's an interesting question and have been toying with the idea of a machinery shed myself - just never got around to it

The access thing by having it open down the sides is a big thing - were you planning on putting shutters down each span of the shed? I was thinking of just having it open down 1 side

I suppose you're thinking of security

Security would be one issue, but if they are going to take it doors or not isn't going to stop them. Insurance would cover that hopefully.
    My main concern would be weather coming at it from the open side and rendering the shed pointless. We live in an exposed area.
    Doors also give you the option of doing other things with it such as a bit of a workshop or putting in an animal when space is at a premium elsewhere or it needs isolation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Security would be one issue, but if they are going to take it doors or not isn't going to stop them. Insurance would cover that hopefully.
    My main concern would be weather coming at it from the open side and rendering the shed pointless. We live in an exposed area.
    Doors also give you the option of doing other things with it such as a bit of a workshop or putting in an animal when space is at a premium elsewhere or it needs isolation.

Just put the tools all in one bay at the end and put a lockable sliding door and walls there. Leave the long side open to the south if you can. Not North or east as that's the direction snow usually comes from. Planning to do a simple lean to type shed here too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

If say you could do a 3 bay up against another shed with the middle one or two bays open you'd have less doors to buy. Left to sheet the roof, 2 gables and maybe one front. Would an 6 or 8ft gale breaker be a cheaper alternative to sheeting the front? Also give more protection in those bays. 18ft wide bays would suit backing in machinery also if it was a new standalone job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    A fine looking machine and I hope you get plenty of good summers for it. How come you went with a Malone and not any other brands? Also are trailed mowers easier to operate?

Its Irish and I wanted to give them a twist. Nice lads to talk to and always on the end of the phone day or night.

The metal in the mower is good and heavy. Found the kv very light tbh. Not sorry it's gone really

MfMan wrote: »

Yeah 3m. I think its 90hp is the min.

The ones holding the Landini from splitting in two...remember she was falling apart at the bell housing??

:).

Nah I just spot welded it after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

You'll be going on now til you need another tractor...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭thetiredfarmer

Its Irish and I wanted to give them a twist. Nice lads to talk to and always on the end of the phone day or night.

The metal in the mower is good and heavy. Found the kv very light tbh. Not sorry it's gone really

Reggie how does it compare price wise with the competition,ie. John Deere /Krone etc?Thanks.

Reggie how does it compare price wise with the competition,ie. John Deere /Krone etc?Thanks.

About 4k cheaper on RRP. The big thing is the cost of parts compared to main brands. Krone parts would make your eyes water

jimmy G M wrote: »
    You'll be going on now til you need another tractor...

Young lad ain't old enough yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

About 4k cheaper on RRP. The big thing is the cost of parts compared to main brands. Krone parts would make your eyes water

Have put very little parts in our mower tbh. Skids is all.

What mower have you got?

Yeah but your not contracting

• Advertisement

What mower have you got?

Krone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Young lad ain't old enough yet

I doubt you'll wait 15 yrs to add to the fleet...

Would you consider hiring a tractor for the busy weeks?. There was a fella with a round baler near us used to hire in a tractor to power the baler for the summer. Used his own one on the wrapper. 15yrs ago or more at this stage... 1 tractor was all he needed for the rest of the year.. Had a JCB, did a bit of muck spreading and trailer work as well.

Yeah but your not contracting

Dad was at one time. She did 1000 acres for 5 first years. Not as much now admittitly but theres very little to wrong with them

What mower have you got?

Krone 283

Krone 283

Are you still baking all yer own or do you get contractor now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Dad was at one time. She did 1000 acres for 5 first years. Not as much now admittitly but theres very little to wrong with them

contractor here runs krone, he reckons they're the only job for rough going

he would have customers with rough terrain on his books :rolleyes:

Are you still baking all yer own or do you get contractor now?

Baled about 300 bales ourselves last year. Contactor did 400 and rest in pit.
    Trying to get around dad to move it on tbh. I have no interest in it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I was the same when buying the tedder. Since I bought it a few neighbours bought mowers and a friend of mine bought a tedder. Their a nice company to deal with and their running a good show.
    A previous poster was asking about a swather on the back. When I was up there I thought I saw a prototype one but on the lift arms. That was a few years ago so they must have scrapped the idea.

I was the same when buying the tedder. Since I bought it a few neighbours bought mowers and a friend of mine bought a tedder. Their a nice company to deal with and their running a good show.
    A previous poster was asking about a swather on the back. When I was up there I thought I saw a prototype one but on the lift arms. That was a few years ago so they must have scrapped the idea.
    Think swarthers are dying out due to thier cost and resale value. Machines are getting too expensive for unwanted extras

I think nowadays that machines manufacturing is being dictated by the accountants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

Well done on finding the place! :D

Advertisement