Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

JOAT wrote: »
    Anyone on here have a samasz mower or know much about them?currently have a krone that has done us well and thinking of upgrading. Both samasz and Krone dealers close to home so parts and service are similar

Krone would be a very well known brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

All I know is their a polish make, they look like a heavy mower. If your trading in a Krone mower I'd personally stick with Krone, although the retail of krone mowers went up 15% compared to last year

• Registered Users Posts: 24,366 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    All I know is their a polish make, they look like a heavy mower. If your trading in a Krone mower I'd personally stick with Krone, although the retail of krone mowers went up 15% compared to last year

And 8% the year before. That's a 23% increase in 2 years. Gonna be hard to justify the cost of them shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭hopeso

What’s the availability of new mowers, and indeed machinery in general, like at the moment? If this lockdown continues, it may well become take what you can find, for anyone needing a new machine....

hopeso wrote: »
    What’s the availability of new mowers, and indeed machinery in general, like at the moment? If this lockdown continues, it may well become take what you can find, for anyone needing a new machine....

I heard there are a few issues getting some shipments but that may not be the case with it everywhere. I ran into issues with the new kverneland mower last year where it took nearly 5 months for delivery instead of 2. That was before all this mess

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    And 8% the year before. That's a 23% increase in 2 years. Gonna be hard to justify the cost of them shortly

An new Claas front mower is just shy of 20k plus vat. Crazy stuff.

An new Claas front mower is just shy of 20k plus vat. Crazy stuff.

Gonna price themselves out of the markets shortly enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

have you a Krone Reggie? what model?

Edit: just saw your next post and its a KV you have!! Ignore

Panch18 wrote: »
    have you a Krone Reggie? what model?

No but I was pricing them last year. Gone to mad money. Bought a new malone procut 3000 this year. Said I'd give the irish lads a twist

No but I was pricing them last year. Gone to mad money. Bought a new malone procut 3000 this year. Said I'd give the irish lads a twist

Did you not like the KV?? What model KV had you? Have you used the Malone yet? (its early i know!!)

• Advertisement

Did you not like the KV?? What model KV had you? Have you used the Malone yet? (its early i know!!)

The kv was mounted and was abit light. Went trailed this time. Still waiting on delivery atm

The kv was mounted and was abit light. Went trailed this time. Still waiting on delivery atm

Have a KV mounted ourselves - the 10ft one. I get what you are saying about being a bit light (although there is fair weight when you are opening it out!!)

The outside panel that folds up and down for transport didn't last a month with us - and it didn't even hit anything, it broke in transport. The joinings onto the mower body would break to look at them. Left it off as the same would only happen again. And a seal went in the gearbox as well, draining the oil completely over winter - was spotted before we started but it could have been a problem if it hadn't. We aren't mowing that much so a bit surprised that it went

Have to say though we were very happy with the mowing of the KV - always did a good job we found

Got a malone 800 last year to do the topping, it's a well built machine and should last. I didn't realise they did a trailed machine as well. Well wear with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Good luck with the new mower. I think you'll be happy with both the build quality and the advantages of a trailed mower. Bit daunting on the road at first but you'll soon be used to that.

Speaking of malone - does anybody have a malone tedder? a tedder is on the shopping list for the last couple of years and i like the look of the malone ones

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Ah here tell the truth, it was them fecking lights wasn't it. No trouble with this one hopefully.

Gillespy wrote: »
    Good luck with the new mower. I think you'll be happy with both the build quality and the advantages of a trailed mower. Bit daunting on the road at first but you'll soon be used to that.

Ah used to towing a trailed alright. Just got a mounted to test the market as it was alot cheaper. Mowed about 500 acres last year so deemed a trailed was needed for endurance

Ah here tell the truth, it was them fecking lights wasn't it. No trouble with this one hopefully.

Nah. LEDs on this girl :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Reggie. wrote:

Cannot understand how it hasn't happened already...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

Leads on to need question. For an old trailer which we might do up or sell. Where would be the best place to get a second hand, braked axle that would carry 12.5/80-15.3 tyres?
    Would like to put on 400/60-15.5 axle and tyres but that is not currently on it.

If the refurb is not feasible it will have to go down the road.

Hard to find braked second hand ones. A neighbour got hubs and wheels off a scrapyard, he copped them by chance. Agrigear in cavan do new.
    You'd get a 10 stud artic axle with low profile super singles a lot cheaper, trailer might look like pimp my ride with one though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It's not just mowers though, slurry tankers, ploughs, agitators even spare parts. Couple of hedge cutters round here bought for more than 40k, how long will that take to pay for itself?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    It's not just mowers though, slurry tankers, ploughs, agitators even spare parts. Couple of hedge cutters round here bought for more than 40k, how long will that take to pay for itself?

Lads aren't changing as often. Running gear for longer. Less value in second hand then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Speaking of malone - does anybody have a malone tedder? a tedder is on the shopping list for the last couple of years and i like the look of the malone ones

This guy has a good channel and has been using a Malone for a while. Skip to around 9 mins in this video for his review

or 13 mins into this video:

2020 will be my thrid year with a malone. Works well. Well built machine. I had an issue last year with tines breaking.

2020 will be my thrid year with a malone. Works well. Well built machine. I had an issue last year with tines breaking.

Hook tines have a habit of that

yeah i like the look of them, look well built

Did you sort the breaking tines issue? was it a fault?

yeah i like the look of them, look well built

Did you sort the breaking tines issue? was it a fault?

Replaced the majority of the tines. At first I thought it was our fault but all the old ones kept breaking and rust could be seen right in the middle of where it broke.

Replaced the majority of the tines. At first I thought it was our fault but all the old ones kept breaking and rust could be seen right in the middle of where it broke.

Could have cracked from hitting the ground. Hooked tines give no quarter if they skim the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

need to fit a hydraulic free return fitting to the back of a Massey 5610 anyone have an idea where the fitting can be plumbed to in the back end?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

need to fit a hydraulic free return fitting to the back of a Massey 5610 anyone have an idea where the fitting can be plumbed to in the back end?

on my 5612 dealer fitted hose with female coupler and its threaded in where oil cap was, use for wrapper and post driver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

blue5000 wrote: »

New machinery can't pay for itself anymore for the most part. Most stuff is being bought on cheap credit. Contractors are then complaining they cant make money, and farmers cant afford to pay more as the commodity prices are not increasing.

A well maintained old machine is every bit as reliable as a new one. A tractor has a service life of probably in excess of 20k hours, which is well more than 30 years for many, and over 10 years for many contractors.

It is interesting that the average age of a plane in the US airforce is about 30 years, and some are expected to be used for 60-80 years! I don't think any aspect of Irish farming is so mission critical that new gear is warranted at the rate it is bought.

I'm not having a cut at anyone here, just my observations!

Advertisement