Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

maidhc wrote: »
    New machinery can't pay for itself anymore for the most part. Most stuff is being bought on cheap credit. Contractors are then complaining they cant make money, and farmers cant afford to pay more as the commodity prices are not increasing.

A well maintained old machine is every bit as reliable as a new one. A tractor has a service life of probably in excess of 20k hours, which is well more than 30 years for many, and over 10 years for many contractors.

It is interesting that the average age of a plane in the US airforce is about 30 years, and some are expected to be used for 60-80 years! I don't think any aspect of Irish farming is so mission critical that new gear is warranted at the rate it is bought.

I'm not having a cut at anyone here, just my observations!

I agree fully. I'm bouncing atm through tractors and machinery to buy up the the hp/ requirement needed rather than buying off the bat. Once I get to the correct setup I'll be staying at that. My rake is currently 5 years old and no intention of changing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭maidhc

Reggie. wrote: »
    I agree fully. I'm bouncing atm through tractors and machinery to buy up the the hp/ requirement needed rather than buying off the bat. Once I get to the correct setup I'll be staying at that. My rake is currently 5 years old and no intention of changing it.

At least you seem to look after it and it holds its value. Some guys drop crazy money on stuff and wont even put it into the shed after they are done. Dairy farmers in particular seem to "pretend" they don't have time to look after gear. Drives me daft!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

A local contractor sowing grass seeds in between rows of recently planted apple trees for a neighbour. I didn't take the photo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

davidk1394 wrote: »
    A local contractor sowing grass seeds in between rows of recently planted apple trees for a neighbour. I didn't take the photo

I wonder are many people sowing orchards like that now . Won't it be a lovely spot

Bullocks wrote: »
    I wonder are many people sowing orchards like that now . Won't it be a lovely spot

They make their own craft cider, it's lovely on a warm summers evening and i don't drink cider. Their close to Blumers so thats why their planting more. There's two other commercial orchards I know of within a 20 minute drive of me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Panch18 wrote:
    Got a malone 800 last year to do the topping, it's a well built machine and should last. I didn't realise they did a trailed machine as well. Well wear with it

check the gearbox they loosen on all the malone mowers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Reggie. wrote:
    Hook tines have a habit of that

wich are better reg straight or hook tine

lab man wrote: »
    wich are better reg straight or hook tine

I prefer the straight as they seem to take abuse better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

I reckon the hooked tine as they rip the grass apart better and scatter it over a wider area.... a better wilt and more even spread of grass on the ground as a result.....lely tenders have them as well...

Did any of ye bring a machine in from the UK recently? There's a machine located in Aberdeenshire in Scotland. How much would it cost ?

• Advertisement

Did any of ye bring a machine in from the UK recently? There's a machine located in Aberdeenshire in Scotland. How much would it cost ?

Think depending on size of machine as in full load or part load for the truck. I believe €1000 roughly for part loads

Think depending on size of machine as in full load or part load for the truck. I believe €1000 roughly for part loads

It'd be part of a load

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

be a fine road trip for the Class!!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

Anyone know how many letters and numbers a chassis/vin number is For a new Holland ts90 tractor. Can see 3 different sets of numbers on the tombstone. Looking to get it registered

Panch18 wrote: »
    be a fine road trip for the Class!!

If there was no virus or lockdown I'd go with a jeep and trailer for the spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Have the spreader a few years bought lifter a year ago in UK finally put the 2 together today with the fabricator just need to get a longer pto then we're set.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

If there was no virus or lockdown I'd go with a jeep and trailer for the spin.

Went over a few years ago to get a couple of eBay purchases. Went with Dublin - Liverpool ferry as it was the cheapest. Bloody thing took forever to get over, I would have been quicker rowing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Anyone have any advice for a guy looking for a Howard rotovator?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113200526#post113200526

Anyone have any advice for a guy looking for a Howard rotovator?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113200526#post113200526

I did one,where i worked years ago,got seal through atkins in cork

They may help with other parts,if he source a fixer-upper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Went to put on the mounted mower today, have a set of pins that are only used for this mower. Pins wouldn’t fit into balls (removable type). Is this unusual? Gave them a small tap of hammer and wouldn’t go in. Linkage is used fairly regularly, pins went into balls last year, could they have expanded or small bit of rust on inside of linkage balls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

timple23 wrote:
    Went to put on the mounted mower today, have a set of pins that are only used for this mower. Pins wouldn’t fit into balls (removable type). Is this unusual? Gave them a small tap of hammer and wouldn’t go in. Linkage is used fairly regularly, pins went into balls last year, could they have expanded or small bit of rust on inside of linkage balls?

I would imagine it's rust after forming on both sides... Maybe a bit of oil on the or something, sounds like their fairly reluctant to go in by the way your talking, never seen it to cause that much of an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭hopeso

The Flintstones came to mind when I saw it....... :D

https://www.donedeal.ie/rollers-for-sale/land-roller/24680042

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Anyone here have any dealings with John Croker tractor breaker/engine rebuilder from around the Ballinasloe area?

Just trying to get an idea as to what he's like regarding price and quality of parts.

PM's more than welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭Gillespy

https://www.donedeal.ie/fencingequipment-for-sale/post-driver/24652090

How would this do on a backactor I wonder? I have used the bale spike before to make a pilot hole and it makes a big difference. Then use the front loader to drive them down, works but hard to keep straight. This is a proper pilot hole and a 400kg weight with the force of the digger then should drive posts with ease and control I think. Just for maintaining fences I would need it for.

Another upgrade for this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Another upgrade for this year

Good man yourself.
    Well wear Reggie.

Good man yourself.
    Well wear Reggie.

Any chance of a loan :o

Any chance of a loan :o

I’m still waiting for the vice-grip I gave you...

I’m still waiting for the vice-grip I gave you...

What vice-grips? :)

• Advertisement

What vice-grips? :)

The ones holding the Landini from splitting in two...remember she was falling apart at the bell housing??

:).

Advertisement