Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

The AIB bankers have regurgitated that super annoying ad with the lights in the buildings coming on slowly to music, Blur's - Tender, it now has a Covid-19 message and some dope saying "cocooning", aaaarrrrggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!, feck off!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

What amazes me is there must be a reason these bull**** ads from banks exist. I mean it means there are people dealing with banks who buy into this crap. Who are these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,947 ✭✭✭✭flazio

All just trying to cash in on the current situation. They couldn’t give a feck if you jumped out under a bus let alone catch covid 19.

Can't spend money on their products if you're dead though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

"you can butter my spuds Andre" Whoa! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

flazio wrote: »
    Can't spend money on their products if you're dead though.
    dunno about tv but there are 1 or 2 annoying funeral home ads on radio

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

There's a promo running lately on BBC for an upcoming show called Dave. No idea what the show is about but the promo features a beardy hipster type fella rapping. It has me driven mad, instantly mute it when it comes on now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Perf and Serf.

Laugh and barf more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

The promo ad for that Leonard Cohen concert with the RTÉ concert orchestra. Lisa Hannigan's voice on Hallelujah is brutal, I cringe every time I hear it (which seems like a couple of times every hour for the past fortnight) I've seen her live and she was great but this is awful, I wonder what she thinks when she hears it herself?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

There's an add running at the moment for Red Rock, and there's some kind of female 'singer' delivering an absolutely god awful rendition of 'Everybody wants to rule the world'. I think I've heard this person before, what gives? Why the hell is that abysmal attempt at singing rewarded by giving her airtime?
    It's absolute cringe at its worst.

A horribly sung dirgy version of a song seems to be the in-thing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Seamai wrote: »
    The promo ad for that Leonard Cohen concert with the RTÉ concert orchestra. Lisa Hannigan's voice on Hallelujah is brutal, I cringe every time I hear it (which seems like a couple of times every hour for the past fortnight) I've seen her live and she was great but this is awful, I wonder what she thinks when she hears it herself?

I feel like nobody but Cohen, Jeff Buckley or Rufus Wainright should ever touch that song.

Everyone else has completely ****ed it up. (Alexandra Burke's version was bad, but apparently a duet of Gavin Friday and Mary Margaret O’Hara singing a duet version of it resulted in people booing and walking out).

I'm shocked that was Hannigan singing it- christ, that was bad. And she's looking kinda rough in that.
    Were there are any stylists there at all? She's not a bad looking woman, but whoever styled her like that made her look awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A horribly sung dirgy version of a song seems to be the in-thing at the moment.

The weak as piss water version of 500 miles comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

God forgive me but I want Arranmore island to disappear under the sea at this stage. They can be connected all they want but we're all so traumatised from the ad at this stage that no-one will ever want to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

ollaetta wrote: »
    God forgive me but I want Arranmore island to disappear under the sea at this stage. They can be connected all they want but we're all so traumatised from the ad at this stage that no-one will ever want to go there.

This is my office. Gob$hite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Scott’s home EAAAAAARLY!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

]
    A few years after he died, RTE did do a show about his life... but skirted around his addictions.
    Even when he died, they barely mentioned it. And there was palpable anger around that (And still is, frankly). I remember a few journalists (including KEvin Myers, in one of those times a broken clock was right twice a day) pointed out that he helped fund so many criminal organisations, and helped kill many an innocent person.

One thing that stuck out to me in the aftermath of his death was the revelation that there was a drug dealer dealing coke into RTE. It was Gareth o'Callaghan who came out with it and he even went as far to say that he was going to the Gardai with info. Then the next thing o'Callaghan went all silent, presumably because the dealer paid him a visit or had someone warn him.

The other interesting thing was that this dealer was charging RTE luvvies 400 euro for a single gram at a time when the street price was around 100 euro. It was said to be model grade cocaine and purer than regular street stuff but still 400 a gram was a mad price. Gerry obviously didnt mind paying it but it struck me about the time during the recession when he went on a rant about not taking a pay cut, how he was worth all that money. Ryan was probably thinking I've got a 400 quid a day drug habit here that is setting me back almost three grand a week, theres no bloody way Im taking a paycut

ollaetta wrote: »

Im just disturbed that the fisherman feels he needs the internet to go fishing.

The other thing about that ad is that there is a certain irony about Three boasting about making Arranmor the most connected island. Maybe someone should tell Three that Ireland is also an island and that we have sh1t internet. Yet instead they are boasting about the speeds on a tiny offshore island with a population of 300 people. Well thats just fcuking great Three but what about the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Im just disturbed that the fisherman feels he needs the internet to go fishing.

The other thing about that ad is that there is a certain irony about Three boasting about making Arranmor the most connected island. Maybe someone should tell Three that Ireland is also an island and that we have sh1t internet. Yet instead they are boasting about the speeds on a tiny offshore island with a population of 300 people. Well thats just fcuking great Three but what about the rest of us.

The guy who says the boat is his office isn't a fisherman, his boat looks like a pleasure craft so he probably is doing tours or dolphin watching or something.

]

One thing that stuck out to me in the aftermath of his death was the revelation that there was a drug dealer dealing coke into RTE. It was Gareth o'Callaghan who came out with it and he even went as far to say that he was going to the Gardai with info. Then the next thing o'Callaghan went all silent, presumably because the dealer paid him a visit or had someone warn him.

The other interesting thing was that this dealer was charging RTE luvvies 400 euro for a single gram at a time when the street price was around 100 euro. It was said to be model grade cocaine and purer than regular street stuff but still 400 a gram was a mad price. Gerry obviously didnt mind paying it but it struck me about the time during the recession when he went on a rant about not taking a pay cut, how he was worth all that money. Ryan was probably thinking I've got a 400 quid a day drug habit here that is setting me back almost three grand a week, theres no bloody way Im taking a paycut

I remember quite a few people came after Garreth over that. One of whom was Ian O'Doherty. (He wrote a column about it. Did a 'why didn't you tell anyone, Gareth' piece).
    A couple of months before Katy French died, Ian had gone on the Late Late show talking about how this book 'exposing cocaine use in Ireland' had been a load of tosh. (It was, the book was pulped due to it's bullcrap).
    The reason Ian knew was because he'd had quite a cocaine habit, but quit taking it because 'you couldn't get good coke in Dublin'. (His words). In his boorish manner, he did the 'don't tell me what I can't put into my own body'. I remember being struck by the irony of that when French up and died.

I suppose Garreth knows the machinations of the media, that they can chew you up and spit you out, thus destroying your career. Garreth was still in radio (only part time, I think. He was working as a counselor too). Plus I imagine the dealer didn't need to warn anyone-there are enough high profile RTE people who'd end him. Or hurt his family. (Not 'sleep with the fishes' but moreso job prospects).

As for the cocaine dealer-wouldn't surprise me. Remember Eamon Dunphy admitted to cocaine use, so between Gerry and Eamon, there'd be a lot of money going to em. And Mark Cagney used to work at 2fm too, and he's been open about having an addiction to cocaine in the past. They all must have spent a pretty penny on drugs.
    That and look at the number of guests who appeared on RTE chat shows who were notable drug users. (The late Katy French, Gavin Lambe Murphy, and a few others have admitted to using).

The same year Gerry died,someone at RTE got sloppy-traces of heroin were discovered in the RTE toilets.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/traces-of-heroin-discovered-at-rte-claims-the-sun-60509-Dec2010/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

]

I'd say a drug dealer would give his right arm to get a regular client base like that. Like the dealers who used to latch on to big rock bands and musicians in the 70's, robbing them blind they were but the rockers didn't care as long as the stuff kept coming.

I'd say a drug dealer would give his right arm to get a regular client base like that. Like the dealers who used to latch on to big rock bands and musicians in the 70's, robbing them blind they were but the rockers didn't care as long as the stuff kept coming.

yeah without doubt. Im just assuming Ryan was going through a gram a day but it could easily have been double that if he was hoovering all day long. I didnt listen to his radio show so not sure if he was on it at work but it wouldnt surprise me. Even if he was only doing a gram a day thats almost 3,000 euro a week or 150k a year. A dealer with even ten clients like Ryan could be turning over 1.5million a year, very lucrative stuff.

As for the Gareth o'Callaghan thing it sounded like he was going to blow the lid on the extent of cocaine use within RTE. By that I took it to mean it wasnt just known celebrities, probably a fair few unknown people like producers and editors on six figure sums were also addicted. Its pretty hard to get sacked out of RTE, if they found out they'd be getting you a drug addiction counselor rather than a P45.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

I know it’s been mentioned before but the Virgin media lockdown ad....why the eff is it on EVERY channel other than RTE??
    “Ireland is priddy much on lockdown “....no sh1t love,if we hadn’t been living under it we wouldn’t have to listen to you stating the bleeding obvious every 5 minutes.....this repetition is the single biggest reason for me developing mental health issues of late....rant over....

jojofizzio wrote: »
    I know it’s been mentioned before but the Virgin media lockdown ad....why the eff is it on EVERY channel other than RTE??
    “Ireland is priddy much on lockdown “....no sh1t love,if we hadn’t been living under it we wouldn’t have to listen to you stating the bleeding obvious every 5 minutes.....this repetition is the single biggest reason for me developing mental health issues of late....rant over....

Can't wait for the 'Ireland is very prone to rain' adverts. That or the 'winter is cold' adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

jojofizzio wrote: »

That ad really grinds my gears. The whole blatant attempt at making an 'emotional and sincere' lockdown ad. People have already mentioned the thank you budday bit. Little gits probably taking a break from smashing car windows by the look on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

The guy who says the boat is his office isn't a fisherman, his boat looks like a pleasure craft so he probably is doing tours or dolphin watching or something.

he runs boat tours (as previosuly stated hes not with 3 either) very enjoyable they are too.

any advert pretending to care about the current situation or claiming people are heroes, as soon as its ove r you'll still be paid a pittance and get crap service off these companies

he runs boat tours (as previosuly stated hes not with 3 either) very enjoyable they are too.

any advert pretending to care about the current situation or claiming people are heroes, as soon as its ove r you'll still be paid a pittance and get crap service off these companies

The disturbing thing about that is that we KNOW things will go back to boring normality, with people being treated like crap, or Nurses being underpaid, once this crisis ends.

Folks have short term memory-they never remember the sacrifices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Dickie10

eaten bread id doon gorgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭trashcan

The weak as piss water version of 500 miles comes to mind.

Was just about to post that, its horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Alliance Insurance, We Cover Courage.

Meaningless buzzword twaddle from a company with 2.2 stars in reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That absolutely crap Galbani advert before come dine with me.....it's a terrible hook it is easy to pronounce

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    That absolutely crap Galbani advert before come dine with me.....it's a terrible hook it is easy to pronounce

That one has me closest to firing the telly out on the lawn. It’s so idiotic that it would be hard to pronounce.

Advertisement