Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

With basically every pub in the country closed or closing today; the craft producers here that only keg or are heavily focused on keg (Yellowbelly for instance) or their own/associated pubs (Rising Son, JW Sweetman) are going to be facing in to difficulty.

Considering the huge volume required for direct sale to customer for a brewery without a pub licence, I'm not sure what if anything the average Irish beer drinking punter can do to assist them but if anyone has any ideas...

L1011 wrote: »
    With basically every pub in the country closed or closing today; the craft producers here that only keg or are heavily focused on keg (Yellowbelly for instance) or their own/associated pubs (Rising Son, JW Sweetman) are going to be facing in to difficulty.

Considering the huge volume required for direct sale to customer for a brewery without a pub licence, I'm not sure what if anything the average Irish beer drinking punter can do to assist them but if anyone has any ideas...

No ideas but up for something to help too if anyone does.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

No ideas but up for something to help too if anyone does.

Not sure what can be done. A lot of the breweries that can are advertising that they are gonna be selling cases online.

In a similar vein, this will really mess up a lot of breweries production schedules. I'd imagine a lot will slow down with brewing anything like IPAs and will maybe stick a few strong, ageable beers into the tanks.

Wicklow Wolf are letting you order online and reverse the car up and they’ll put the case in the boot. Seen Treaty City delivering bottles in the Limerick area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Got a ring on the door last night. Looked out and saw no one. Opened the door to find a bag with 4 bottles and 2 cans of beer on the step.

My delightful publican neighbours were responsible (a small, neighbourly favour was recently done by me). They know I'm currently alone in the house and could do with some diversion.

So, I had a Kinnegar scraggy Bay and Rust bucket. Both extremely delicious in the circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I've ordered a mixed case apricot sour and hibiscus & ginger sour from White Hag.

I might pick up a case of something else next week once I'm paid.

I got a mixture of 12 treaty yesterday.

Beoir just tweeted about this site listing which breweries are doing direct sales:

https://directfrombrewery.com/

Having a few stag stout after receiving an order Friday. Always forget just how nice it is.
    I wonder does the gluten free thing put a lot of people off it?

Having a few stag stout after receiving an order Friday. Always forget just how nice it is.

I'd be fairly confident some people will avoid it either assuming its tasteless like some other gluten free branded products; or to avoid association with the gluten ignorant who avoid gluten for style reasons rather than the legitimate health reasons that the beer is marked as GF for.

People can be very odd!

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    I'd be fairly confident some people will avoid it either assuming its tasteless like some other gluten free branded products; or to avoid association with the gluten ignorant who avoid gluten for style reasons rather than the legitimate health reasons that the beer is marked as GF for.

People can be very odd!

That’s would be my thinking. Genuinely intolerant people will research and find it anyway but putting it on the bottle I feel just puts ‘normal people’ off as, like you say, they’ll think it’s an inferior makeshift product.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

It's an excellent stout. I was pleasantly surprised by it. The Brewery are a sound bunch of lads too :)

Aglomerado wrote: »
    It's an excellent stout. I was pleasantly surprised by it. The Brewery are a sound bunch of lads too :)

It’s one of my favourites in the country, it’s so good on tap too.

AFAIK, all 9 white deer products are gluten free.

AFAIK, all 9 white deer products are gluten free.

Looking at the front page of their website you’d be under the impression the Stag Saor range of red ale, kolsch, stout, and ipa are GF and the stag bán, stag rua, black lightning, and 5 stags aren’t. But when you go in and click each individual beer it says they all are indeed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

A friend of mine used to work at that brewery. Sounds like they're a good bunch to work for, on top of making very good beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Phantom by the White Hag.
    Lovely, sessionable drop.

Stratospheric by Bewdog.
    Oat cream DDH IPA @ 7%.
    This is one of the best beers I’ve EVER had.
    The mouth feel, the nose, the taste.
    Top notch

Really like the 8 Degrees Hill of the Serpent.

Oude Kriek Boon.
    2007-2008.

Very disappointing.
    Completely flat and kind of watery.
    Not particularly sour.
    Cherry flavour kind of lifeless.

2032 best before date.
    I wonder if it's past its best or needs more time?
    Or, perhaps, a dodgy bottle.

Last night :
    Geuze Boon a l'Ancienne
    Also 2007-2008.
    This was gorgeous.
    Light, delicate, sour, rounded, balanced.
    Yum

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I got a can of that last night after seeing this post. Another class beer from 8 Degrees.

• Advertisement

I got a can of that last night after seeing this post. Another class beer from 8 Degrees.

It’s excellent. Finished off my other 3 last night myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Just bought 3 cans of that, looking forward to trying it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Loving this Strata hop

Nice TIPA from Track/Highland Park/Green Cheek - What Could Go Wrong? 10%

Verdant - The Window 4.7%

Both 5/5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Pōhjala Öö Xo(Cellar Series).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Blacks 8-Bit Cherry Stout. It certainly smells and tastes of cherry with a hint of chocolate in the background, but it's awful watery. It's only 5% and the mouthfeel is all wrong, they should have beefed it up a bit to take full advantage of what is otherwise a very tasty beer.

Zaph wrote: »
    Blacks 8-Bit Cherry Stout. It certainly smells and tastes of cherry with a hint of chocolate in the background, but it's awful watery. It's only 5% and the mouthfeel is all wrong, they should have beefed it up a bit to take full advantage of what is otherwise a very tasty beer.

Found a couple of theirs like that lately. The new mosaic isn’t a patch on the old one either.

Thornbridge Jaipur. Can.
    Haven't had this beer in years.
    Lovely.
    How IPA used to taste before the world went juicy!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

My first can was delicious a few days ago. I did a side by side comparison against Kinnegar Black Bucket then and Black Bucket was a comfortable winner. Such a fantastic Black IPA.

My first can was delicious a few days ago. I did a side by side comparison against Kinnegar Black Bucket then and Black Bucket was a comfortable winner. Such a fantastic Black IPA.

Had a black bucket recently.
    It's a fantastic, complex beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

It's Porterhouse chocolate truffle stout time of the year and it can't be got. :(
    I'd love if the bottled it.

Advertisement