Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

Must look out for that Black Bucket, even though I don’t think I’ve ever had a Kinnegar beer I’ve liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nestegg

Best black IPA at the minute (though I do love black bucket) is Third Barrel's Plastic Paddy. Perfect marriage between hops and malt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Hill of the Serpent and Sierra Nevada California IPA with Dinner tinught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

RasTa wrote: »
    Loving this Strata hop

Nice TIPA from Track/Highland Park/Green Cheek - What Could Go Wrong? 10%

Verdant - The Window 4.7%

Both 5/5

Sierra Nevada had a session IPA a few years ago made mainly with Strata. It was a great beer. Loved strata, kind if a lemony weedy taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,062 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Must look out for that Black Bucket, even though I don’t think I’ve ever had a Kinnegar beer I’ve liked.

Exact opposite, literally have never had any of theirs that I haven't liked. In the last week I've had Black Bucket, Bucket and Spade and White Rabbit, all as good as ever. Easily one of the country's best breweries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

Have to agree Rust Bucket is one of my favourite beers. Flying Saucer was a very good export stout would be great if it was made part of their core lineup.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ryath wrote: »
    Flying Saucer was a very good export stout would be great if it was made part of their core lineup.
    Is it not already? I see cans of it around a lot, including in supermarkets.

Hadn’t seen it in a while. Thought it was just a special, seems to be out of stock online any where I’ve checked.

Exact opposite, literally have never had any of theirs that I haven't liked. In the last week I've had Black Bucket, Bucket and Spade and White Rabbit, all as good as ever. Easily one of the country's best breweries.

Yeah I dunno what it is. It’s like Larkins, everyone seems to love their stuff but I’ve never come round to them at all. I’m definitely looking forward to revisiting with that black IPA though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,062 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yeah I dunno what it is. It’s like Larkins, everyone seems to love their stuff but I’ve never come round to them at all. I’m definitely looking forward to revisiting with that black IPA though.

Ya another fan of Larkin's here too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Hadn’t seen it in a while. Thought it was just a special, seems to be out of stock online any where I’ve checked.

Not sure how accurate this is.. but in specials section here: https://kinnegarbrewing.ie/beers/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Their website also lists WJ Kavanagh and Beerhouse as Dublin outlets so I'm guessing it was last updated around 2017.

Think the flying saucer in cans is 7.7% to so that's not up to date. Must stock up when I see it again. Would probably be my go to stout after lean fholain as it's pretty reasonably priced considering its ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Think the flying saucer in cans is 7.7% to so that's not up to date. Must stock up when I see it again. Would probably be my go to stout after lean fholain as it's pretty reasonably priced considering its ABV.

Yes it doesn't be in my O'Briens Kinnegar selection, so best stock up loads when you do see it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

https://www.instagram.com/mozzabeers/

More supermarket beers out over here, Brew York and Buxton new ones going in. Sold out everywhere but might make it over to Ireland when it all calms down

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Picked out 3 beers for my quiet Saturday night in. Started with Hell's Gate, the helles style lager from Treaty City in Limerick. Nearly finished RED Irish Ale from Porterhouse now, and I've a bottle of their Plain Porter set aside for later. Couldn't be sober for Wrestlemania. :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Had a Wicklow Wolf Dawn of the Red last night. According to the can it's a bourbon barrel aged imperial red rye, and I have to say it was delicious. I'm not too familiar with rye ales, but if they were all like this they get my vote. There's a lovely warmth from the bourbon in the background which makes it surprisingly easy to drink for a 9.4% beer. Equally surprising is finding a beer that strong in a 440ml can, but I wasn't complaining. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Zaph wrote: »
    Had a Wicklow Wolf Dawn of the Red last night. According to the can it's a bourbon barrel aged imperial red rye, and I have to say it was delicious. I'm not too familiar with rye ales, but if they were all like this they get my vote. There's a lovely warmth from the bourbon in the background which makes it surprisingly easy to drink for a 9.4% beer. Equally surprising is finding a beer that strong in a 440ml can, but I wasn't complaining. :)

8 Degrees and Larkins both had strong stouts in cans recently. The young lad in my local offie thought I was mental for drinking anything north of 11% abv. :D

I’ve just opened my last black lightning to savour.

8 Degrees and Larkins both had strong stouts in cans recently. The young lad in my local offie thought I was mental for drinking anything north of 11% abv. :D

Ah, the innocence of youth :D

Were they 440ml cans as well? I would have only expected a 330ml can for that strength.

• Advertisement

Ah, the innocence of youth :D

Were they 440ml cans as well? I would have only expected a 330ml can for that strength.

Just double-checked. The 8 Ball "metric stout" is definitely 440. Pretty sure the Morrigan (Larkin's) was the same.

Morrigan is in big tins alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I had Wicklow Wolf gluten free lager the other day. It was vile

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Sticking an order in with Craft Central, anyone know what the dates are like for the American beers? Don't want to order the likes of New Belgium and Odells to find they're several months old.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Sticking an order in with Craft Central, anyone know what the dates are like for the American beers? Don't want to order the likes of New Belgium and Odells to find they're several months old.

I got 4 different Odells from them the other day. The best before dates on two are 12/6/20, and 17/6/20 on the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

On Full Sail IPA from Galway Bay Brewery tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 34,485 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Been disappointed with that the last couple of times I got it, not a bad beer by any means but much blander than it should be.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A mini malt festival took place on my couch. A bottle of Boss Black stout from Swansea that I've waited since September to crack open, a can of Trouble in Paradise, a cocoa orange porter from Kinnegar/Trouble Brewing, Bambricks Brown from Ballykilcavan and last Lough Gill's excelled Mac Nutty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I got 4 different Odells from them the other day. The best before dates on two are 12/6/20, and 17/6/20 on the other two.

Cheers. Probably brewed last summer then? Think I'll just stick to Irish stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

A nice supermarket haul. £22

Advertisement