Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone willing to admit they're already starting to relax restrictions?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I continue to work everyday. I was always big into hand hygiene and giving people space.
    Still go for my run everyday I live rurally so tbh I pay no attention to the 2km restriction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Jim Root wrote: »
    I noticed Supermacs are back open, did they need permission for that I wonder?

Why would they? Burger King never closed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭fits

Im still sticking to the restrictions but its much more effort-driven than fear-driven now. Im definitely becoming complacent even though I know complacency is what will get us.

The toddlers are getting increasingly frustrated though and we are having some tough moments. Id give anything to be able to send them to childminder. Husband and I are trying to manage 3 full time jobs between the 2 of us. We take turns in home office and minding the twins.

Just found out an old friend of mine, her husband is in ICU. He'd be early 40s. No other conditions Id know of. They live near me too. ITs no time to get complacent.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sticking too things fairly well here I think.
    Near Phoenix park and another big park which helps.
    My husband is great, does a big shop once a week, he is a brilliant cook as well.
    Not nipping to local shops at all. He did go to bottle bank today but it is close.
    Out walking the dog early and lateish to avoid crowds.
    I am working from home which has been an adjustment but getting into the swing off it now. He works in social care so more at risk from catching it unfortunately.
    I made a couple of masks as well.

We did have drinks with our neighbours....when I say with...they were in their front garden and we were in ours so well over 2 metres apart...we also both only got drinks from our own houses, seats etc. Literally the only contact I have had with people in weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

fits wrote: »
    Im still sticking to the restrictions but its much more effort-driven than fear-driven now. Im definitely becoming complacent even though I know complacency is what will get us.
    Never had any great fear about it but similar enough thoughts to this now. Of a mind this current restriction will be lifted on Tuesday week but still doing what's required. Just 11 full days to go!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Been very much sticking with it and barely out of the house bar a once-a-week shop and a couple of walks. Definitely an upsurge in people being being more complacent and that's frustrating because now, when I do go out, I'm being put that bit more at risk than I needed to have been.

I exercise within the 2km (but am by Phoenix Park so is easy) but I am definitely out now for longer than I should be, and might drop into the corner shop for a snack in addition to a trip to SuperValu.

But the awareness of distancing and hygiene is definitely something that is sticking which bodes well (if my behaviour is reasonably representative)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The parents of teenagers in Tallaght and Clondalkin very much eased off. But thats not saying much, these are the same groups of teenagers that you see hanging around all day every day pre lockdown . The parenting style seems very much "**** off out of the house and dont annoy me till its time for bed" . Their days filled with hanging around causing trouble in the village and at McDonalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jim Root wrote: »
    I noticed Supermacs are back open, did they need permission for that I wonder?

Food places never had to close.

Burger King didnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

fits wrote: »

The toddlers are getting increasingly frustrated though and we are having some tough moments. Id give anything to be able to send them to childminder. Husband and I are trying to manage 3 full time jobs between the 2 of us. We take turns in home office and minding the twins.

Just found out an old friend of mine, her husband is in ICU. He'd be early 40s. No other conditions Id know of. They live near me too. ITs no time to get complacent.

Great way to phrase it. Yup. This is it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I'm sticking to it. I am working from home since 18th March and now that feels normal. I am trying to go for a walk every day , but I find it difficult. My partner could walk 3 times a day. He's going insane yet he would be far more inclined to stay in if we were in 'normal' circumstances!

I go out once a week for a decent shop (small Tesco 7 min walk) and if I need anything urgent in the meantime, there is a small shop around the corner where I can get milk or vegetables if needed.

I am worrying about my job after this month :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

I've noticed this week that a number of the kids in the estate are starting to play together again, having been apart for a few weeks. They're from at least 3 households, and while they start socially distant, it disappears over time.

Not a "curtain twitcher", they are congregating in the garden next door, so I can't miss them!

One household has an emergency services worker and a healthcare worker, so I thought they'd be more careful....

I shop once a week, and get a takeaway once a week as a treat. I get panicky leaving the house these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The parents of teenagers in Tallaght and Clondalkin very much eased off. But thats not saying much, these are the same groups of teenagers that you see hanging around all day every day pre lockdown . The parenting style seems very much "**** off out of the house and dont annoy me till its time for bed" . Their days filled with hanging around causing trouble in the village and at McDonalds.

Some parents you mean . I live in one of those areas and everyone around me are being careful and doing what told
    Please do not lump everyone in Tallaght snd Clondalkin into the same boat

I'm just back from my first time in a newsagents in two weeks in coincidentally Clondalkin Village. A woman in there buying bread and milk hacking into her sleeve as she walked about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Food places never had to close.

Burger King didnt.

The others closed because they had too few customers to remain open and the few that they did have acted like morons (e.g. blocking roads queueing) creating negative publicity for them.

The loosening of restrictions is now in sight so you will see lots of people preemptively getting back to normal. The daily death figures now seem to lack the shock power they once had, Even thinking to my own personal reaction. I was more taken aback by the day it jumped to 19 deaths than the other day where it hit 77.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The others closed because they had too few customers to remain open and the few that they did have acted like morons (e.g. blocking roads queueing) creating negative publicity for them.

The loosening of restrictions is now in sight so you will see lots of people preemptively getting back to normal. The daily death figures now seem to lack the shock power they once had, Even thinking to my own personal reaction. I was more taken aback by the day it jumped to 19 deaths than the other day where it hit 77.

The figure of 77 was not the death toll for one day. The death toll for one 24hr period never reached anything close to that number. It was the notified cumulative toll for I believe from 3rd April til the day it was released.
    I genuinely don't understand why they realesed figures in that manner. Similarly the death of nearly 730 people is made up of nursing homes and long term care facilities.
    The single most vulnerable groups were neglected till very recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Here is another shocking number.
    82. and another one 2,666 and the next one 32,000

32,000 people die in Ireland every year. (average number from the last 5 years)
    That make it about 2,666 a month or 82 a day.

Average age of people who died is over 80 and absolute majority of them had one or more underlying health conditions. While we have to treat this virus with respect as it cause great deal of pain to some of the people infected and vulnerable people may die contracting it we should not panic but rather try to learn to live with it. This virus is not going anywhere or going to dissappear, it is here to stay.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I don't think so. But it's becoming a bit of a chore now.

I'm getting a takeaway for the first time in a month, mainly to drop one off as a treat for someone who's cocooning alone as a surprise along with their weekly essentials but also I'm gagging for one. :D

We are very rural so even going for a walk we are unlikely to see anyone. We are planning to camp tomorrow night in a family field just to get a change from the four walls and the two nearest supermarkets are lovely and quiet in the evenings so I usually only have to go every week or so. When I do I wear a mask and gloves and sanitise everything. Groceries get a wipe before going into the kitchen and I've a basin with a puddle of disinfectant for shoe soles inside the front door.

I've tuned out of the news /following the numbers now. I found myself getting very stressed about it so switching off has helped a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

No, I'm still sticking to them for the most part, as I think the majority are. Only leaving the house to do food shopping and for exercise.

I will admit that I regularly go beyond the 2km for my exercise, but I live very rurally. Last Sunday I ran a six mile stretch without meeting a single person/car, something obviously not possible if I lived in a town or city.

So you are in fact breaching the guidelines. Youve just decided they dont apply to you. Well at least u are honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Leilak wrote: »
    My bf died 12 days ago aged 60 because he needed a heart procedure and it was cancelled due to covid outbreak - im so annoyed when today I saw a huge queue outside The Range, some people are definitely relaxing their movements

I'm so sorry to hear that. May he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Seen the same around here in D14 so don't attempt to make this a working class thing.

You get sh1t parents everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Not yet, but if the 2km rule is not lifted on the 5th of May, then yes, I will more than likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Still being careful, kids haven't been outside more than once a day or more than 2km from home for a month or so.

I am the only one to have done any shopping since then also, and behaviour in the shops I am going to has generally been fine, everybody is careful to make space.

Most on our estate have been very good, big green area right in front of us but there are never kids on it, maybe a father and son kicking a ball to each other but that is it.

It's natural to come onto these threads to complain about people messing things up, but actually I think the overall response that I have seen from people has been very very good.

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Here is another shocking number.
    82. and another one 2,666 and the next one 32,000

32,000 people die in Ireland every year. (average number from the last 5 years)
    That make it about 2,666 a month or 82 a day.

Average age of people who died is over 80 and absolute majority of them had one or more underlying health conditions. While we have to treat this virus with respect as it cause great deal of pain to some of the people infected and vulnerable people may die contracting it we should not panic but rather try to learn to live with it. This virus is not going anywhere or going to dissappear, it is here to stay.

So anyone with an underlying health condition is dispensible?

You're working off the assumption that the vulnerable groups are already at death's door. Most of them are not. My dad likely would have had a few more years to live if he hadn't contracted the virus. People older and frailer than him have recovered.

Death rates are up significantly on the same period last year, it's blindingly obvious why that is.

I was locked down from very early March. Everybody seemed to be constantly out and about, maybe even more than before. So eventually I started going out again. I go on walks every day now.

Life has started to become a bit miserable. It feels like just one long long day of work.

And I think it’s blown a bit out of proportion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I have no reason to go outside as my interests can be found behind a screen. I am not going to start wage slaving until July, there are no jobs to apply for at the moment anyway in my area and I like it that way. There is nothing more intolerable and soul crushing than having to wage slave, it makes my mental health deteriorate rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 johnboy1298

So far I have taken the restrictions seriously, I haven't stopped work so still travelling a right bit but other than that I've stayed in the 2km radius, avoided unnecessary travel only gone to the shops when absolutely necessary and put up with the restrictions despite it being somewhat frustrating. But I no longer watch the news much and the more I learn about this the more I think its becoming a bit pointless so I will admit that if there isn't a plan in place to get back to normal life come May 5th I am just gonna ignore the 2km and non essential travel rules and just practice good hygiene and social distancing from strangers.

I see comments about this going on 'until there is a vaccine' and 'all summer long' and the reality is I'd rather take my chances with the virus than totally waste 5 or 6 months of my life. Ultimately I'll work right through this and there's every bit as much, or more, chance of someone bringing it into the workplace unknowingly as there is of me catching it off someone I know and trust at their house or out and about. The way I see it sitting in your house afraid to move isn't really living at all. People are going on about opening restaurants, pubs etc putting people at risk but ultimately no one is forcing anyone to attend so I await the day normality returns. Do all that's necessary to protect people by all means, wear PPE while working, hand sanitiser should be everywhere and mass gatherings being stopped makes total sense but you could pick up the wrong thing of milk in the shop tomorrow and get the virus, all this is doing is dragging out how long it takes to get to that moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Had an office party a few days back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Goose76 wrote: »
    From what I can see on Instagram etc, there seems to have been a huge increase in the number of cafes and restaurants re-opening for delivery the past 7-10 days or so. I love my coffee and takeaways but this is alarming to me, it's just encouraging more and more people to come out and about.

To be fair, though, if they're opening for delivery they're not expecting people to come to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

don't listen to the news anymore the numbers are a mis mash of previous deaths which is sad and test results in backlog released on the day to scare people.
    remember the 14 day incubation period we all lock down and it will reduce the spread extended to over a month which is 2 or 3 incubation period only so much you can get away with this is mental torture ease restrictions now or it will just fall apart.

Advertisement