Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone willing to admit they're already starting to relax restrictions?

Options
  • 23-04-2020 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

I'm not consciously but I do find that I don't check the daily numbers or news anymore, it's no longer really at the forefront of my mind and I'm pretty lax about the 2km.

I don't act the bollox like organise a party or something but if I need to go do something, I will do it.

This can't go on months/indefinitely, I suspect (although they mightn't admit it) that people will tire of it and just start relaxing themselves bit by bit as this goes on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

No, I'm still sticking to them for the most part, as I think the majority are. Only leaving the house to do food shopping and for exercise.

I will admit that I regularly go beyond the 2km for my exercise, but I live very rurally. Last Sunday I ran a six mile stretch without meeting a single person/car, something obviously not possible if I lived in a town or city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Ich liebe Berlin

I'm sticking to it completely because I want this to be over as quickly as possible, but am well aware that a significant amount of people aren't bothering. I work on a supermarket checkout and several of the customers are beyond infuriating.

Yesterday I served a woman who had driven 26 miles to where I work because she was bored even though there are two large supermarkets in her home town. A huge amount of customers only buy a couple of items and say they are only in the store just to get out of the house. Most people are selfish a**holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭emo72

i think you need to bring the people with you. i dont think people will put up with this indefinitely. we need a roadmap out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Not personally no and most people are doing their bit.

Oddly enough I know a few people aged in their 60s, 70s and 80s who really aren't taking this lockdown seriously and life hasn't changed all that much for them.

Please don't get complacent. People are dying from this, including my own dad. If you want to protect your loved ones, stick to the rules. Otherwise your family could be next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭KaneToad

We've come this far, it would be foolish to ease up too soon. I've only been in a supermarket 4 times since this started. It's a pain in the a$$ but the alternative is worse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Please don't get complacent. People are dying from this, including my own dad.
    Ah christ FF, sorry to hear that. :(

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

My bf died 12 days ago aged 60 because he needed a heart procedure and it was cancelled due to covid outbreak - im so annoyed when today I saw a huge queue outside The Range, some people are definitely relaxing their movements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

The newspeak is strong here.Of course people are relaxing restrictions.Have any of you seen the stats that were released from the states? infection rates were over 50 times maybe even 80 times what they expected.Does it matter tho,next they will have a social credit score linked to social distancing,can you imagine that.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ax530

yes same as not listening to news about it as much, so many numbers and all quite big they not feeling as important. due to this not as fearful or anxious about virus day to day.
    we are going to shops more, will go for milk or bread where as a few weeks ago we tried get everything in one go. Still just one member of household does all the shopping.
    still keeping to within 2km for exercise, not driving or visiting so no unnecessary journeys.
    have had a family member call to garden had cup tea possibly within the 2m at some moments during the visit. they came more than once this week as find it helps distract smaller children while concentrating on work/mettings for an undisrupted hour.
    noticed an au pair out walking with children today I wasnt aware that option was still available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Strongly considering asking our nanny to come back to the house to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ax530

very sorry to hear that, such a difficult time for you.
    I cant understand queue for a shop at the best of times. I would love to go to the beach but its over 2km so stay away. Miss sea walk usually have at least once a week
    I am wondering at this stage are hospitals causing more issues by cancellations than the number of covid cases they resolving.

Some small children at home almost 'alone' as parents working are in higher danger of accidents. Due to a few near escapes in this house I got the family member to supervise them in garden to allow me some time to focus totally on work

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

From what I can see on Instagram etc, there seems to have been a huge increase in the number of cafes and restaurants re-opening for delivery the past 7-10 days or so. I love my coffee and takeaways but this is alarming to me, it's just encouraging more and more people to come out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Goose76 wrote: »
    From what I can see on Instagram etc, there seems to have been a huge increase in the number of cafes and restaurants re-opening for delivery the past 7-10 days or so. I love my coffee and takeaways but this is alarming to me, it's just encouraging more and more people to come out and about.

I noticed Supermacs are back open, did they need permission for that I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We are pretty much sticking to the rules. I broke them once a few weeks ago by driving more than 2km to the nearest Bottle Bank which clearly wasn't an essential journey. Needed to get away from the house by myself.

Husband working from home, Kids at home. Road immediately outside not safe for walking especially with Kids. Have noticed cars/vans doing faster speeds.

Getting weekly deliveries of food and ordering other things we need online. Before all this, I used to shop twice a week on Mondays and Fridays in Tesco.

Husband goes for a walk or cycle early in the mornings maybe 5 days a week. Apart from my drive above, the Kids and I have not left our place since the day the schools closed March 12th.
    We use my Husband's home gym equipment for exercise as well as Gardening and the Kids play outdoor games in our own garden

But can see a football pitch from our bedroom window and groups of Kids gathering.
    Member of 2 different FB Groups of mostly women in the nearest town and going by posts on them, lots of unnecessary journeys happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

There's a massive relaxation ongoing.

I was just in centra for milk, bread and cheese.

Guy at the top with 3 kids buying them all slushies.
    Followed by an elderly couple with machine coffees.
    Fella at deli counter getting a chicken fillet roll in middle of it all.
    An old dear skipped half the q. Realised her error so stopped to chat to the person she had skipped (from 2 foot). Then decided the q was too slow and wanted to leave. Stopped to tell me this, again from 2 foot.

When I got to till, fella at next till buying coke, scratch cards and smokes.

The kids are all back playing together on the green.

Several construction companies back this week on "essential" social housing. Several more back Monday. I'm prob back Monday for health and safety works.
    Talk of action on children's hospital site too.

CIF are doing a covid induction. Website crashing continuously due to demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Completely agree - why can't people forgo these things for a while longer - I mean people have no willpower at all. Do that many people eat out every day in normal circumstances??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Same in my area. Given that the actual takeaways never closed it's hard to criticise restaurants that have now converted to takeaways. I don't know if there were any specific changes that led to so many reopening in the last week, or if that was just how long it took them to get reconfigured (or for the money to run out and them to need to reopen)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Was out for my weekly shop this morning and there was many more people about. Lots of kids out with parents too. People browsing in one of the shops I was in touching everything as they went passed. I was annoyed! My kids havent left home in 6 weeks. I only do one shop a week anyway so that hasnt changed but I'd love to go to the beach or coffee shop with my family and the longer selfish picks carry on like this the longer itll be before we can go back to normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

leahyl wrote: »
    Completely agree - why can't people forgo these things for a while longer - I mean people have no willpower at all. Do that many people eat out every day in normal circumstances??

I feel for the small business owners who probably need to re-open soon for financial reasons, and I'd hate to see any business go under as a result of this - especially smaller, independent places.

But on the other hand, it's definitely a cause for concern that so many have decided to re-open. It's also strange to see that little is being done to prevent these places from re-opening. I haven't seen any statements from politicians or health officials etc about it, which is odd as there seems to have been a HUGE increase.

It's also funny to note, for all the people panicking on social media about the virus, very few seem to have the same level of concerns about their local chipper or coffee shop reopening:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Yes, I went to the shop yesterday and found myself getting sloppy. The restrictions are really hard. We're a social species and dancing around people feels really weird. And, like, I was already adhering to some of the restrictions pre-covid because of being immunocompromised. I can't imagine how hard it is for people who are not used to anything like that.

But I guess yesterday was a wake up call to cop myself on and be more careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭facehugger99

There's a massive relaxation ongoing.

I was just in centra for milk, bread and cheese.

Guy at the top with 3 kids buying them all slushies.
    Followed by an elderly couple with machine coffees.
    Fella at deli counter getting a chicken fillet roll in middle of it all.
    An old dear skipped half the q. Realised her error so stopped to chat to the person she had skipped (from 2 foot). Then decided the q was too slow and wanted to leave. Stopped to tell me this, again from 2 foot.

When I got to till, fella at next till buying coke, scratch cards and smokes.

The kids are all back playing together on the green.

Several construction companies back this week on "essential" social housing. Several more back Monday. I'm prob back Monday for health and safety works.
    Talk of action on children's hospital site too.

CIF are doing a covid induction. Website crashing continuously due to demand.

Great to see society starting to return to normal in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Juicyfruit

Still sticking to it here. Haven’t been out of the house since schools closed except for the weekly shop.
    It’s actually infuriating to hear that some people think it’s ok to relax now that things are looking good numbers wise.
    Do people not realise that the numbers are this way because of the restrictions and that in order for them to start easing, the numbers need to be better than they are now.
    It’s the selfish minority who are going to prevent that from happening. Not to mention the whole putting themselves and others at risk.
    The stupidity of some people is baffling.

Leilak wrote: »
    My bf died 12 days ago aged 60 because he needed a heart procedure and it was cancelled due to covid outbreak - im so annoyed when today I saw a huge queue outside The Range, some people are definitely relaxing their movements

I am so sorry.

One thing about humans is if they've never experienced serious ill-health in their lives, they don't know what it's like. You can only really know what it's like when you've experienced it and that's why so many people are so blasé.

I'll admit, for the previous few days I've been ignoring the 2 KM limit and have been going much further. For example, yesterday I went for a 10k cycle and then a 5K run.

I'm starting to get sick of all the restrictions and having to queue most times when I want to go shopping. I still believe we are blowing this all out of proportion and that once the crisis has subsided, the hard data will prove we overreacted and should have taken an approach like that of Sweden.

leahyl wrote: »

I'd imagine it's people who haven't had a takeaway in ages rather than eating out every day. We got a takeaway twice last week and that was the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

The only thing we have broken is the 2km, I have cycled to the shops to get food to roll some exercise and essential shopping into one. So 10km there and back. I also walk 4/5 times per day, either with the dog, husband or cycle with the kids. But we are never more than 2km from the house.

Otherwise we have been all home since mid march.

But i can see on the streets more and more people are out. People have definitely slacked off.

I'll admit, for the previous few days I've been ignoring the 2 KM limit and have been going much further. For example, yesterday I went for a 10k cycle and then a 5K run.

I'm starting to get sick of all the restrictions and having to queue most times when I want to go shopping. I still believe we are blowing this all out of proportion and that once the crisis has subsided, the hard data will prove we overreacted and should have taken an approach like that of Sweden.

We don't know that NOW though and so erring on the side of caution is the only sensible thing to do. If it turns out it was less lethal than we thought, well, that will be hindsight. While we still have incomplete stats and incomplete knowledge of the virus, we have to be cautious. Anyone who says "See, I told you so!" if it turns out to less serious will expose themselves as the spoofers they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I love going outside, to the pub, restaurants, cinema, visiting family and I want the restrictions to be lifted as much as anyone

Since the day the schools closed I've followed the guidelines to a T

I have a shop within 2km so haven't strayed outside that at any stage

I'll be honest and selfishly say I've found it difficult. But I've done it as have loads of others

Anyone blatantly flaunting the restrictions at the moment is an arsehole, simple as that

Like anything in life there's always a few that ruin it for everyone else. This is something that no pandemic will ever change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I met my elderly neighbour out for a walk. She was quite defiant and said she can’t stay in any more and walks around the block now, and her friend even visited her. Her elderly friend lost her sister and can’t have a funeral and she didn’t want to be alone so came over to cry with her. So sad

I haven’t relaxed the rules but I’m about to crack. My folks wanted to lock down here with us and help mind my kids, they haven’t seen anyone for weeks either but I kept saying no. I am working, minding two small ones pretty much alone as the OH job is very busy, I’m in early pregnancy and so sick and tired, can’t do my work, dropping the ball everywhere, can’t be a good or even hands on parent, and I need help. The restrictions say that you can look after kids but I felt we didn’t classify as “essential” even though I’m technically essential services but can work at home so I plodded on alone. But I’m struggling now. The pregnancy sickness is tipping me over the edge, I was ok before this

Advertisement