Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone willing to admit they're already starting to relax restrictions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

I'm glad to see people saying that themselves and others in their estates are abiding by the restrictions. It's obviously the quickest way we can ensure some restrictions are lifted.

Unfortunately, my estate is a bit of a joke. Kids from 5 separate houses out playing together (no social distance obviously). I said it to one of the parents and her answer was' sure the kids don't catch it'

Some of the parents are as bad with the social distancing. One even works in a Hospital FFS!

There is also a house being renovated at present. There are currently 7 workmen in the house - there are 7 vans/cars there anyway.

It tough on those (the majority in fairness) who are keeping our kids away from others and abiding by the restrictions, and I'd hate to have to go through another couple of weeks of the current restrictions because of a few idiots.

I really hope they don't cost us.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Coralcoras

I’m feeling less scared of the virus - felt very ominous in the beginning and I had to take breaks from media due to anxiety.

My behaviour is still the same because I don’t find the restrictions too bad. Maternity leave is a lot like a lockdown anyway!

I really hope you are joking, if not I think you need to speak to someone about your anxiety. Your mental health is as important as your physical health, some would even argue it's more important.

I'm sure its a wind up....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Just back from the local supermarket, its nearly like pre covid, people milling around everywhere, not even really making effort to keep apart ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

GreeBo wrote: »
    And if you have a crash on your essential cycle, what then?
    Will you be happy to be left on your own up the mountain on your own or do you expect the emergency services to come and get you?
    Assuming its the latter, are you happy to be taking up valuable hospital beds and the time and energy of medical workers, all because you *needed* that cycle?

What a ridiculous comment.
    It's selfish to exercise is it?

Should I stop going to the kitchen incase I fall down the stairs? Stop using the kettle in case I burn myself. I could drown in the bath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Why? A lot of the things that you are doing are not necessary nor prescribed by the government (unless every member of you family is classified as vulnerable and you are all cocooning, and even then the respirator is taking it to unnecessary level)

I cant work out whether this post is intended to be a joke.

No joke, i dont wait to be told to do something, i can work things out for myself.

you are reading my post on the assumption of me protecting myself and family only, what if i am a carrier with little or no symptoms?

by my actions no one else will get it from me.
    doylefe wrote: »
    And what about your tinfoil hat?

i have stockpiled loads of tinfoil, so i am good for years for tinfoil hats thanks.

I really hope you are joking, if not I think you need to speak to someone about your anxiety. Your mental health is as important as your physical health, some would even argue it's more important.

thanks for your concern, but i am very strong mentally.

i am senior manager in of the biggest food producers in the country, we have been managing over 800 staff, PPE, restrictive measures and multiple shifts for weeks now.

every day i am on my game 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

I stopped washing down the shopping apart from things that were unpacked. I think the odds of getting the virus from them must be minuscule and the bloody hassle of it.:cool: Allthough i wash my hands frequently and anytime outside house i dont touch my face at all

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

sully2010 wrote: »
    We have one of the most sparsely populated countries in Europe yet we can't travel 2km without the guards being all over us. And they're rarely seen in normal times. Germany, Netherlands, Nordic countries, Canada and many more have no restrictions on going out to the park or the mountains or the seaside with social distancing. Absolutely no chance of catching Covid outdoors if 2 metre distances are kept. Much much more chance when going shopping.

This madness cant go on and on, people are brainwashed into being scared to leave their homes. It's utter madness and the mental health ramifications are already manifesting and will for some time to come.

Agreed, the 2km limit is a bit much. I only go to the supermarket once every 10 days or so, that is my highest risk journey. I cannot visit my Dad (in his 70s)who lives on his own in a rural area about 1hr 10min drive from me. He gets a delivery of food once a week which is left outside his door. What is the problem with paying a visit and sitting outside on a chair an having a chat to him as he sits inside his porch. He has started to open about how difficult the lack of human company is and has said that 'this is not living'. I have to agree with him. He would gladly stay home if he thought we could visit him individually and chat from outside.

There needs to be a bit more trust in how pope move about, and yes, let the guards deal with with certain situations appropriately.

There are too many lockdown crazies about the place. I completely get that people are dying, members of my own immediate and extended family have been severely impacted by the whole situation, but we need to be a bit more creative in how this lockdown is managed, we cannot have another blanket lockdown announcement for an extra 2-3 weeks at the end of next. We are humans, not robots, so matter what you say, it is not a black and white situation, human error in decision making will always be present, so measures to reduce the risk as much as possible need to be drawn up in different ways to allow people to get with some semblance of normality. This virus is going to be around for a very long time. We either learn to live with it as a society as best we can or stay hidden under our shells forever, personally, I'd rather be dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

So what do you think - lockdowns need to go on for 18 months till a vaccine ?

Look at the state of Italy and Spain - https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-52400085/coronavirus-lockdown-s-heavy-toll-on-italy-s-mental-health

All this for a tiny tiny improvement.

The cure is worse than the disease.

Stop quoting Trump would ya, the "cure" is not worse than the disease, because the disease is death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

thanks for your concern, but i am very strong mentally.

i am senior manager in of the biggest food producers in the country, we have been managing over 800 staff, PPE, restrictive measures and multiple shifts for weeks now.

every day i am on my game 100%

Well you may need to be very strong mentally so....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/18/dont-bet-on-vaccine-to-protect-us-from-covid-19-says-world-health-expert

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Coralcoras wrote: »
    I’m feeling less scared of the virus - felt very ominous in the beginning and I had to take breaks from media due to anxiety.

My behaviour is still the same because I don’t find the restrictions too bad. Maternity leave is a lot like a lockdown anyway!

I'm going on maternity leave soon and I have actually found the silver lining in this lockdown - it is so great working from home during the last trimester when the tiredness kicks in. Extra sleep, no commute, more flexible hours. Can even have a nap at lunchtime and if you find extra energy at 8pm at night, nobody will stop you working or firing off emails! Every cloud :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

VonLuck wrote: »
    Very selfish. No one's stopping you having social interaction over the phone / video calls.

Video/phone is not social interaction.

JL555 wrote: »
    Agreed, the 2km limit is a bit much. I only go to the supermarket once every 10 days or so, that is my highest risk journey. I cannot visit my Dad (in his 70s)who lives on his own in a rural area about 1hr 10min drive from me. He gets a delivery of food once a week which is left outside his door. What is the problem with paying a visit and sitting outside on a chair an having a chat to him as he sits inside his porch. He has started to open about how difficult the lack of human company is and has said that 'this is not living'. I have to agree with him. He would gladly stay home if he thought we could visit him individually and chat from outside.

There needs to be a bit more trust in how pope move about, and yes, let the guards deal with with certain situations appropriately.

There are too many lockdown crazies about the place. I completely get that people are dying, members of my own immediate and extended family have been severely impacted by the whole situation, but we need to be a bit more creative in how this lockdown is managed, we cannot have another blanket lockdown announcement for an extra 2-3 weeks at the end of next. We are humans, not robots, so matter what you say, it is not a black and white situation, human error in decision making will always be present, so measures to reduce the risk as much as possible need to be drawn up in different ways to allow people to get with some semblance of normality. This virus is going to be around for a very long time. We either learn to live with it as a society as best we can or stay hidden under our shells forever, personally, I'd rather be dead.

You are allowed to make a trip to provide care to a family member. Just go and do it for God's sake. Ring your father tell him you are on the way. Have chairs set up outside we have done it with my wife's elderly parents. Their mental health needs are as important as their physical health.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I agree with you in some way about the 2km limit. If you were to travel to visit your Dad and sit out in the garden having a chat, there is far less danger (arguably, none) in that than some numpties letting their kids all congregate together in the estate while the adults have a karaoke/ drinking session etc.

You and I can both understand this because we have common sense. The problem is that a lot of people lack common sense, and this can't be legislated for - the result being a sort of blanket ban to cover all eventualities. Unfortunately, everyone suffers when the lowest common denominators in our society dictate the controls that need to be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Trying my best, still.

OH and kids have been self-isolating basically since the schools closed. They have only left the house to get some exercise. That would have been local beaches and football pitches for kickabouts, until the 2km restriction came in. Now we have 3 local roads that we walk or cycle. Luckily we have room round the house for kids to play and the weather has helped.

I have been the only one doing the shopping since the schools closed. It was convenient as I was still working onsite and was out daily. Now for the last couple of weeks I have been working from home, so I have cut my shopping down to twice a week, doing bigger amounts each time. I stick to the same 3 roads now for exercise too.

So we are doing all we can. But I will admit it is getting a bit tiring at this stage.

the most important development for me will be a rapid anti body test for the mass population.

then we will know who has had it asymptomatically and who can function as normal taking care not to spread it.

A widely available daily antibody test will allow greater movement and economic activity to restart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Stop quoting Trump would ya, the "cure" is not worse than the disease, because the disease is death.

What percentage of people that get the disease die?? The disease is not death ffs. Scaremongering and people seeing scaremongering is probably the biggest reason people are getting lax about it. The vast majority that get it, won't die.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

GreeBo wrote: »
    And if you have a crash on your essential cycle, what then?
    Will you be happy to be left on your own up the mountain on your own or do you expect the emergency services to come and get you?
    Assuming its the latter, are you happy to be taking up valuable hospital beds and the time and energy of medical workers, all because you *needed* that cycle?

To be fair,he could hypothetically crash just as easily 1.5km from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

This thing is here to stay.
    There will have to be some return to activity to avoid economic catastrophe.
    personally i have no issue with builders or any outdoor job going back to work, with reasonable precautions.
    Same with reopening golf courses.

As a society we need the lowest risk sectors to continue to contract the virus while maintaining health capacity.
    There is no value long term in getting new cases down to zero over next few weeks.

We will be lucky if we see a vaccine in 2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The disease is death for a tiny amount of the population and not to sound bad, but its mostly for people in many cases on deaths door already ...

What percentage of people that get the disease die?? The disease is not death ffs. Scaremongering and people seeing scaremongering is probably the biggest reason people are getting lax about it. The vast majority that get it, won't die.

According to figures released during the week nearly 10,000 of the confirmed cases have recovered. I don't get this desire to spread fear and false information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

A sizeable percentage. Judging by Spain, UK and Italy their daily deaths are running at about 10% of reported cases.
    Obviously there's a positive bias due to how they're testing, but Coronavirus is now the number one daily killer, beating cancer and heart disease.

Less understood are the long term health impacts, which could be permanent lung damage.

You can believe what you want, for me the issue isn't getting it, its passing it on.
    I could get over it, but if someone I live with died because I brought it into the house, I don't know if I could deal with that.
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    The disease is death for a tiny amount of the population and not to sound bad, but its mostly for people in many cases on deaths door already ...

That does sound bad.
    A 70 year old could live another 20 years easy. People are quick to dismiss anyone over 70 as on the way out, but there's decades of life left in people. My own grandparents are in their 90s, fully independent and isolating themselves out of fear some eejit is going to spread the virus to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

quokula wrote: »
    Same in my area. Given that the actual takeaways never closed it's hard to criticise restaurants that have now converted to takeaways. I don't know if there were any specific changes that led to so many reopening in the last week, or if that was just how long it took them to get reconfigured (or for the money to run out and them to need to reopen)

What the F is it with takeaways?

When I was growing up we NEVER had takeaways. My mum cooked everyday and she was a fulltime night nurse. Every couple of months we might have had fish and chips on a Friday if she was flush from Thursday's paycheque with overtime and too knackered to start boiling potatoes.

FWIW, I peeled the carrots because my little brother would have skinned himself. He was on spud scrubbing patrol. Hate that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

The current CFR in Ireland is about 4%. The big question is whether or not reinfection is possible. There have been cases of asymptomatic/mild cases suffering severe and irreversible lung damage. It's still too early in the pandemic to determine whether or not reinfection is possible it seems. If immunity turns out to be short-lived and reinfection possible, it would likely have catastrophic consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Was in Tesco this morning for my weekly shop and it was very different compared to last week, complacency has definitely set in. Shop and carpark were quiet but people have obviously gone back to being too important/in too much of a hurry to keep away from each other. Nipping into other people's personal space to grab items, items handled and put back, more people shopping in twos, very little glove or mask use. To top it all off, when I went back to my car which I had parked in an empty part of the car park, some fat knuckledragger was sitting in his van that he had parked right beside my car. Window open, shouting into his phone, spit flying everywhere.

Also on the subject of knuckledraggers, tinkers have started calling to the house again looking to clean gutters and do powerwashing. A bunch of them including children in the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭sporina

how are the restrictions impacting you so negatively that you would rather be dead if they continued?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

I'm sticking with the restrictions because I'm not a simpleton and I also don't want to die and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm sticking with the restrictions because I'm not a simpleton and I also don't want to die and stuff.

Are you in an at risk category?

If not - then the chances of you dying are exceptionally small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Other than going outside the 2km on cycles I haven't left the house in nearly three weeks.

🙈🙉🙊

Advertisement