Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone willing to admit they're already starting to relax restrictions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Was well outside the 2k last weekend on my bike, it actually didn't cross my mind at the time, was just enjoying the cycle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Have literally being going to work and home since restrictions kicked in. Going for a run later in the evenings to avoid people.

Have had enough now. Meeting a mate for cans and a chat later this evening. We'll stick to 2m social distancing, but i'm fed up sitting in with no social interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Was well outside the 2k last weekend on my bike, it actually didn't cross my mind at the time, was just enjoying the cycle
    I tried to do my daily 20k on the bike around the village - got sick of it after three days, plus you have to deal with pedestrians, traffic and traffic lights, not gonna work. I don't cycle to far out though. I've gone through two garda checkpoints so far with no questions asked, oops.

I have to add: I work in supermarket and majority of people don't give a flying f..k about this virus anymore, just sort of playing the game because of formality and because of what other might think if they're not wiping their trolley etc., standing too close; a lot less people wearing masks and gloves. "Stay safe and take cake of yourself" almost completely vanished after the Easter weekend, now it's just "sick of this" or "can't wait for this to be over" and have a nice day. No confirmed cases among staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

People are relaxed.
    Went out with the gf for a run in the park two days ago. Both of us just sick of not moving around and the amount of people and cars out was insane. Would rival any normal Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

If our R is now 0.5 and our hospitals etc are quiet, I dont fully understand what we are waiting for to start lifting restrictions. What is the difference between now and a months time? If we wait another month, the virus will not be gone unfortunately and there will be a spike in cases, we will still most likely be a year(s) from a vaccine, and we will just have postponed the spike with an additional massive impact on society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

stick to the restrictions and we'll live....but we may not live well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Have literally being going to work and home since restrictions kicked in. Going for a run later in the evenings to avoid people.

Have had enough now. Meeting a mate for cans and a chat later this evening. We'll stick to 2m social distancing, but i'm fed up sitting in with no social interaction.

Very selfish. No one's stopping you having social interaction over the phone / video calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm not consciously but I do find that I don't check the daily numbers or news anymore, it's no longer really at the forefront of my mind and I'm pretty lax about the 2km.

I don't act the bollox like organise a party or something but if I need to go do something, I will do it.

This can't go on months/indefinitely, I suspect (although they mightn't admit it) that people will tire of it and just start relaxing themselves bit by bit as this goes on.

I'm not doing anything differently than I have been doing for the last month. But aside from watching a few extracts on Twitter of Trump briefings, I've stopped paying attention completely to the news about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

manniot2 wrote: »
    If our R is now 0.5 and our hospitals etc are quiet, I dont fully understand what we are waiting for to start lifting restrictions. What is the difference between now and a months time? If we wait another month, the virus will not be gone unfortunately and there will be a spike in cases, we will still most likely be a year(s) from a vaccine, and we will just have postponed the spike with an additional massive impact on society.
    It seems to be down to the current high number of new cases, which are probably coming from the mass testing of nursing homes. Nolan seemed to suggest that it will be high for a number of days so I'd say what the new cases are like this time next weekend. Another thing they plan to do, which might be next week, is to broaden the case definition so you could see increases from that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I live rurally so tbh the 2km limit makes no sense to me and I’ve paid no attention to it. Neither has anyone else in my surroundings as far as I know.

If I have to go to the shop. I just bloody go. I don’t go anywhere much else because well, everything’s closed.

I go visit neighbours and talk to them over the wall, or chat (at a reasonable distance) while out for walks.

I strongly feel that the restrictions have done as much as they’re going to do and it’s time to get back to our lives gradually in as much as possible and try to rescue our train wreck economy. My fear is that Tony H is in Leo’s ear and Leo hasn’t the balls to push back on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'm the only one who leaves the house. I go to the shops once a week, early.

Kids have the field to play in and haven't seen their friends in weeks.
    Can see the beach but not been as it's outside the 2k limit

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I live rurally so tbh the 2km limit makes no sense to me and I’ve paid no attention to it. Neither has anyone else in my surroundings as far as I know.

If I have to go to the shop. I just bloody go. I don’t go anywhere much else because well, everything’s closed.

I go visit neighbours and talk to them over the wall, or chat (at a reasonable distance) while out for walks.

I strongly feel that the restrictions have done as much as they’re going to do and it’s time to get back to our lives gradually in as much as possible and try to rescue our train wreck economy. My fear is that Tony H is in Leo’s ear and Leo hasn’t the balls to push back on him.
    The CMO is just doing the scary doctor routine of you need to sort out your life or you'll die! I did think it was funny when he produced the seismic evidence of what we've been up. We just need to hang in a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Dr Holohan and co. whether they know it or not are the equivalent of a mudguard. We were following the expert advice will be the mantra if and when there is a review of what has taken place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

It's ok to go shopping.

is_that_so wrote: »
    The CMO is just doing the scary doctor routine of you need to sort out your diet or you'll die! I did think it was funny when he produced the seismic evidence of what we've been up. We just need to hang in a bit more.

Yes that was bizarre. Very big brother. So it seems Apple are giving this data to them to track us.... I don’t think we should be comfortable with that at all.

YFlyer wrote: »
    It's ok to go shopping.

I know that. But I’m not consciously stockpiling anything in my bunker. If I need to pop out for a litre of milk I just do it as the need arises.

Dr Holohan and co. whether they know it or not are the equivalent of a mudguard. We were following the expert advice will be the mantra if and when there is a review of what has taken place.
    He has said following the guidelines. He's also said he believes they have the right strategy. My impression is that they'll be as enthusiastic for a review on this as anyone else. There is a lot to learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

So what do you think - lockdowns need to go on for 18 months till a vaccine ?

Look at the state of Italy and Spain - https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-52400085/coronavirus-lockdown-s-heavy-toll-on-italy-s-mental-health

All this for a tiny tiny improvement.

The cure is worse than the disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

I'm not consciously but I do find that I don't check the daily numbers or news anymore, it's no longer really at the forefront of my mind and I'm pretty lax about the 2km.

I don't act the bollox like organise a party or something but if I need to go do something, I will do it.

This can't go on months/indefinitely, I suspect (although they mightn't admit it) that people will tire of it and just start relaxing themselves bit by bit as this goes on.

I am not,

Family have not left our house since it started.

I travel to work,
    i do the shopping,
    wear full respirator when doing shopping,
    wear new disposable gloves on entry,
    sanitise gloves at every available sanitising point,
    discard gloves when finished,
    wipe all food packaging down with iso propyl before it enters house,
    leave clothes in hallway in box,
    shower immediately,
    Dont go anywhere.

And i will keep doing it for as long as necessary.

Yes that was bizarre. Very big brother. So it seems Apple are giving this data to them to track us.... I don’t think we should be comfortable with that at all.
    Don't know about Apple but the data yesterday was cameras, traffic flow and seismic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Unelected CMO

I personally have followed every rule they have brought in from the very beginning despite having serious reservations about civil liberties violations and overreach/ lack of transparency.

On May 5th my and my family’s cooperation will cease with the most ridiculous of these “restrictions” regardless of what some unelected, often completely inept academics have to say about it. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

I've been feeling that over the last week people are relaxing the restrictions themselves. I live near Portmarnock beach and there's been more cars parked by it and more people walking in bigger groups. Now some people will be driving to it within 2k, but plenty won't. My sister in law couldn't get a spot by the beach last night so parked outside it house to go for a walk on it. I'd say she's a little over 2k to the beach anyway. And we had a driveway chat for 10 minutes too. We kept our distance, but it was breaking the rules slightly.

I don't think people are taking the piss in how they're breaking the restrictions, but they are being broken. I think the good weather is a godsend though. Because the way things are people are meeting up to go for walks or maybe a glass of wine in the garden. Not great, but if the weather gets wet people will be going into each others houses.

The government have to relax the restrictions now. Not because the numbers are so good, but because it's the only way of controlling how people will relax them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I personally have followed every rule they have brought in from the very beginning despite having serious reservations about civil liberties violations and overreach/ lack of transparency.

On May 5th my and my family’s cooperation will cease with the most ridiculous of these “restrictions” regardless of what some unelected, often completely inept academics have to say about it. Simples.

Edgy.

I am not,

I travel to work,
    i do the shopping,
    shower immediately,
    Dont go anywhere.

Why? A lot of the things that you are doing are not necessary nor prescribed by the government (unless every member of you family is classified as vulnerable and you are all cocooning, and even then the respirator is taking it to unnecessary level)

I cant work out whether this post is intended to be a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

I've been sticking to it all strictly but there have been some bad days where I felt the anxiety creeping up on me.

On those bad days, I feel like the restrictions are claustrophobic.. Not being able to see people to talk it out. I'm a very chatty social person normally (and a hugger!) . I've been video chatting with friends and family but it just feels weird and uncomfortable.

If I was even allowed visit people and chat to them from a distance. I'm praying something like that is permitted after the 5th May.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I am not,

I travel to work,
    i do the shopping,
    shower immediately,
    Dont go anywhere.

And what about your tinfoil hat?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Well yeah, I guess I am. But when I don't meet one single person on my runs, then the chances of me infecting anyone/getting infected myself are probably pretty slim :)

And if you have a crash on your essential cycle, what then?
    Will you be happy to be left on your own up the mountain on your own or do you expect the emergency services to come and get you?
    Assuming its the latter, are you happy to be taking up valuable hospital beds and the time and energy of medical workers, all because you *needed* that cycle?

So what do you think - lockdowns need to go on for 18 months till a vaccine ?

Look at the state of Italy and Spain - https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-52400085/coronavirus-lockdown-s-heavy-toll-on-italy-s-mental-health

All this for a tiny tiny improvement.

The cure is worse than the disease.
    According to some experts we will most likely never have a cure/ vaccine. People need to learn that we will have to co exist with the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Still abiding by the restrictions - working from home, exercising with OH and the dog locally and doing all shopping online. In fact, in the beginning we were chancing to the shop every 7-10 days for fresh fruit and veg. etc. but I started to feel really uneasy about standing around long queues in carparks with the odd person coughing around me, so we switched to completely online and are even more "locked down" now than we were before.

In terms of news etc. yes I have started to pretty much ignore what is a lot of clickbait. I check RTE once a day at around 6/7 pm and that's it.

• Advertisement

I am not,

I travel to work,
    i do the shopping,
    shower immediately,
    Dont go anywhere.

I really hope you are joking, if not I think you need to speak to someone about your anxiety. Your mental health is as important as your physical health, some would even argue it's more important.

Advertisement