Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Griffinx wrote: »
    Does this box have any advantages over the Tiviar Alpha+

Question asked above by myself

The Tiviaf has the advantage of the skin on the thread in here

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Thanks, should have paid more attention...I'm moving towards the Tiviar...see if there's a Black Friday deal anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Griffinx wrote: »
    Does this box have any advantages over the Tiviar Alpha+

The Zgemma is 4k UHD and has a better processor.

Shefwedfan wrote: »

The skin is just the cosmetic appearance. You can have lots of skins applied to the same basic operating system. Think of a skin like an overcoat. Same body underneath it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Is it possible to use a nas for recording / time shift or better to install a HDD

• Advertisement

You can do either, but I imagine a local HDD would give better performance if being pushed to record and view things at the same time. Installing a HDD is straightforward enough. SSDs are so cheap now you wouldn't have to worry about spin up times or noise.You'd get a 120GB for about €25 delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The skin is just the cosmetic appearance. You can have lots of skins applied to the same basic operating system. Think of a skin like an overcoat. Same body underneath it.

Have you used Clareman skin? is it much of an improvement? thanks

No I don't have Tiviar Alpha. Each image is unique to a particular make and model of box because they all have different hardware inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Greetings!
    I took the plunge and bought one of these, with VIX pre-installed on it. I'm very pleased with it, I'm using the 'simple ten-eighty' skin. From the user point of view, its quite intuitive. My wife struggled with the default os on the AA+.

Anyway, I created my bouquets manually, using the Webif. Had some difficulty, can't seem to re-order them after creating them - but that's minor.

Strange thing I've noticed - if I am watching a HD channel and open the EPG, the screen looks fine, however if I open the EPG in a non-HD channel, the EPG is wider than the tv so the edges aren't visible.

Any suggestions? I'll keep playing with it, perhaps I'll nail it, but would welcome any suggestions.

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Got this box back in January and, after hours of tweaking and tuning, I have finally achieved the almost perfect set top box (Pure2 image with Estuary skin is by far the best!!)

What is keeping it from being the perfect box is the tuners. At the moment I only have a terrestrial cable attached (everything else I stream from the internet) The problem with the single tuner is that when I am recording a program there is nearly always something I want to watch simultaneously on a channel with a different mux. I'm left disappointed to see it greyed out.

I understand there is a different box (H7C) that has two T inputs and there are also USB sticks that can add a second T input. But I only have a single cable.

What I want is a twin terrestrial tuner that accepts one input but can record two different muxes. I saw these:

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/gigablue-dvb-c-t-t2-h265-twin-tuner-module?filter_name=twin%20terrestrial%20tuner%20module

But would they be compatible with this box??

Any help appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

No, your box has embedded tuners they are not plug and play unless I have missed something. THe h7c would give same problem with sat only able to record one channel.

This is what you should do. Get a sony play tv tuner its usb, this is it. On your image check for driver db0700.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-PLAYSTATION-3-PS3PLAY-TV-USB-FREEVIEW-TUNER-RECEIVER-DVR-RECORDER-PACK/323926625506?hash=item4b6b880ce2:g:5dAAAOSw359cjOxr

then split your aerial signal with this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASCL-Indoor-Aerial-Splitter-Plug/dp/B002XUDCBE/ref=sr_1_10?crid=1F395I3696GQ2&dchild=1&keywords=aerial+splitter&qid=1587508771&sprefix=AERIAL+SPLITTER%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-10

This will work unless you have a very poor signal.

I should add you can plug aerial direct to play tv as it has 2 tuners, make the internal redundant but if you want internal you will stil end up with 2 dtt tuners as box will not see 3 tuners.

Greetings!
    I took the plunge and bought one of these, with VIX pre-installed on it. I'm very pleased with it, I'm using the 'simple ten-eighty' skin. From the user point of view, its quite intuitive. My wife struggled with the default os on the AA+.

Anyway, I created my bouquets manually, using the Webif. Had some difficulty, can't seem to re-order them after creating them - but that's minor.

Strange thing I've noticed - if I am watching a HD channel and open the EPG, the screen looks fine, however if I open the EPG in a non-HD channel, the EPG is wider than the tv so the edges aren't visible.

Any suggestions? I'll keep playing with it, perhaps I'll nail it, but would welcome any suggestions.

cheers!

Is your tv changing resolution based on the source ? And then your gui is fhd something like that

Thanks for replying,Cyrus.
    oh :eek:, now I feel awful.....

I actually figured it out and fixed it, quite some time ago. I feel awful, cause the fix might be useful for others like me. If only I'd come back and posted it. I'm going to have a look later and will find it, and post it here.

Off the top of my head, it was some utility in the box setup that allows you to 'stretch the screen' or something like that....

I have the osd set to leave the screen setups info displayed after each channel change, and can see the various formats info - not that I put that info to any use:pac:

swoofer wrote: »
    No, your box has embedded tuners they are not plug and play unless I have missed something. THe h7c would give same problem with sat only able to record one channel.

This is what you should do. Get a sony play tv tuner its usb, this is it. On your image check for driver db0700.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-PLAYSTATION-3-PS3PLAY-TV-USB-FREEVIEW-TUNER-RECEIVER-DVR-RECORDER-PACK/323926625506?hash=item4b6b880ce2:g:5dAAAOSw359cjOxr

then split your aerial signal with this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASCL-Indoor-Aerial-Splitter-Plug/dp/B002XUDCBE/ref=sr_1_10?crid=1F395I3696GQ2&dchild=1&keywords=aerial+splitter&qid=1587508771&sprefix=AERIAL+SPLITTER%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-10

This will work unless you have a very poor signal.

I should add you can plug aerial direct to play tv as it has 2 tuners, make the internal redundant but if you want internal you will stil end up with 2 dtt tuners as box will not see 3 tuners.

Great, thanks for the useful suggestion. Would this be sufficient to allow two HD channels through? (I was initially going to ask if it would allow 4k but there are no 4k terrestrial channels...)

The signal isn't terribly strong where I am but I did have a branded (BT) Freeview twin tuner box before I got the Zgemma and the signal was fine while recording two channels so it probably is strong enough.

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Got this box back in January and, after hours of tweaking and tuning, I have finally achieved the almost perfect set top box (Pure2 image with Estuary skin is by far the best!!)

What is keeping it from being the perfect box is the tuners. At the moment I only have a terrestrial cable attached (everything else I stream from the internet) The problem with the single tuner is that when I am recording a program there is nearly always something I want to watch simultaneously on a channel with a different mux. I'm left disappointed to see it greyed out.

I understand there is a different box (H7C) that has two T inputs and there are also USB sticks that can add a second T input. But I only have a single cable.

What I want is a twin terrestrial tuner that accepts one input but can record two different muxes. I saw these:

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/gigablue-dvb-c-t-t2-h265-twin-tuner-module?filter_name=twin%20terrestrial%20tuner%20module

But would they be compatible with this box??

Any help appreciated!

does Pure2 offer anything over OpenAtv? i have that with kiddac's skyq skin FHD

Its 2 tuners so no hassle with HD.

Cyrus wrote: »
    does Pure2 offer anything over OpenAtv? i have that with kiddac's skyq skin FHD

I tried most of the images (including OpenATV) but not long enough to pick out any huge benefits between them. Pure2 with Estuary is by far the easiest on the eye (really nice soft blue with perfect translucency to the menus and EPG) and I thought the menu system (not the one with the tiles) was far easier to navigate and clearer than the other images, also slightly quicker. I have Kodi and streamlord installed and that is all I need.

Here are some typical screenshots I pulled off the internet:

RXRvE66.png
    RI62BMP.png
    1Wpbuoj.png
    nsKRUPk.png

I'm a big fan of openATV but decided to try Pure2 and openVix to see how they have evolved. Pure2 was unstable on my multisat setup. Crashed several times. Couldn't get crossEPG to run on it either which I need.
    I'm now running openVix for a few days which is doing the job. I still think openATV offers more plugins and skins. I cant install my fav ValiHDFlex on vix but will stick with it for a few more days to see how it behaves.
    openATV 6.4 introduced a few changes which I don't like but would not matter to other users.
    I also have a VU+ which does not like openATV 6.4 at all but is grand with 6.3. Horses for courses perhaps.

Greetings!

cheers!
    Cyrus wrote: »
    Is your tv changing resolution based on the source ? And then your gui is fhd something like that

Here's how I fixed it:

Menu > Setup > User Interface > Skin Setup > OSD Position. Its pretty intuitive from there.

Before letting you proceed, the system prompts you about 'overscan' on your TV, but I couldn't find anything about it, so I went ahead and hey presto!

Switch skin to the Youvix blue its awesome.

Use dreambox edit to arrange your bouquets, its free do a google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

I'm still using an Amiko Alien2 bought in 2013 but finally want to upgrade! Looks like the zgemma h7s is an ideal triple tuner replacement.

Can anyone confirm if the zgemma h7s will recognise a 4TB usb drive? That's why i want to switch from the Alien2, the linux kernel in it doesn't support the GPT partition type.

That information could be confirmed with a setting like: CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION=y

There might be a config file in the boot directory and you could use a command something like:
    # cat /boot/config-2.6.37-8-generic | grep "CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION"

Or there may be a compressed archive file in the proc directory and you could use a command something like:
    # sudo zcat /proc/config.gz > Kconfig | grep "CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION"

The config filenames may have different numbers appended.

Grateful for your help!

Flex

Turns out the Kernel config file is not on the Zgemma h7s at all. You can view it on the oe-alliance GitHub page.

Flex

Hello,

I am using the OpenATV 6.4 on my Zgemma H7S.

Has anyone got a 7 day epg for all free to air Astra 28.2 satellite channels on OpenATV? I'm getting 7 day epg on Saorview channels but missing epg data for several satellite channels.

Is anyone using CrossEPG on OpenATV? I tried the version from the plugin feeds but it crashes the box. I tried manually installing the ipk for the older 0.6.2 version that I read somewhere still works but find it doesn't work on OpenATV 6.4

Is my only alternative using OpenVix instead?

Cheers,

Flex

How did you get openatv 6.4 for the Zgemma and why? You are using a beta image and these are usually full of holes/bugs and they have changed something that is causing grief.

Openvix is very good now and I use it, comes with all you need. I use and its fab, have a Youvix-Blue skin. Getting epg for c4hd and a few others is a work of art but Vix has great support, I use cross epg and epg importer.

I have Crossepg 0.8.5 on openatv 6.1.

It came pre-installed on the box from the vendor I bought it from. OpenATV 6.4 is considered stable now and you can get it for the Zgemma H7S from here.

I haven't tried OpenVix yet but from youtube videos I prefer the look of OpenATV.. at least comparing their stock skins. I also suspect that there is more support and plugins for OpenATV.

I thought CrossEPG can give a complete 7 day epg for all satellite channels on 28.2. What tweaks do you have to do exactly to get a full epg and can that be achieved on OpenATV 6.1?

Cheers,

Flex

Go into crossEPG and select CONFIGURE.
    Check it is storing to the HDD not internal flash. (your name will be different)
    Enable SCHEDULED DOWNLOAD. The default setting should suit most users.
    Under the OPENTV settings select Astra 28E

515723.jpg

515725.jpg

Thanks Gerry!

Well my problem was I couldn't get CrossEPG to even install on OpenATV 6.4. The latest crossepg crashes the box. I tried installing an older 0.6.2 version manually but it doesn't open/start when I click on its Plugin entry in the Plugins Browser.

But I've just realised there is another entry for CrossEPG in Menu > Setup. So now I've got it set up like yours as well and I have 7 day epg for most of the channels that were missing data: BBC One London and BBC2, BBC Four etc..

I notice there is no epg for Channel4 HD and others too. Are you downloading data for channels missing EPG by a supplementary method or not bothered about the few loose stragglers?

Flex

By default openATV now includes the Freesat data but it is very slow to download. CH4HD and CNN HD are not on Freesat and some of the other +1s etc. The only reason to use crossEPG is to fill those gaps.

OK, but I seem to have crossepg working now yet I'm not getting epg for Channel4 HD or CNN HD.

I just have one provider enabled: Sky UK OpenTV (Astra2 on 28.2) I did "download now" then "Force epg reload". Still missing epg for those.

Are you the same? What version of crossepg and what image/image version are you using?

Thank you,

Flex

• Advertisement

Just checked it version 0.8.7 and it didn't seem to be working either on openATV 6.3. I was also missing the non-Freesat ones. Forced a download and its now populated. Hard to know if it's an issue with crossEPG or the openTV source but all ok now 23:30

Advertisement