Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Zgemma H7s Guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

So you are running crossepg 0.8.7 on OpenATV 6.3 and getting a full 7 day epg?

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

So you are running crossepg 0.8.7 on OpenATV 6.3 and getting a full 7 day epg?

Flex
    Yes there was a glitch yesterday but it seems OK now, fully populated. CrossEPG has been flaky in recent months. If it wasn't for CH4HD I'd gladly ditch it.

I tried crossepg 0.6.2 and 0.8.7 on OpenATV 6.3 and 6.4 but it won't work for me on either. Zgemma h7s is great how it lets you multiboot so I also gave OpenVix a whirl and crossepg does work on it. I just don't like the look of OpenVix. It's like HDMU from back in 2012. So dated looking.

Image attached of my OpenATV 6.3 image info screen. Gerry, I wish I knew how you managed to get crossepg working on OpenATV? Can I ask what is your OpenATV 6.3 build and kernel number? Or have you any other hints?

One other question for anyone reading! Do you make your own channel list or use autobouquets? If so what settings do you use in AB? I've never used it before.

Cheers,

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

have you tried 0.8.6 version of crossepg, it works for me on 6.3. What skin are you using?

Thanks for that info swoofer. When booted into OpenATV I use the Metrix HD skin.

Can you see the attachment in my last post showing my system details?
    What date is your OpenATV 6.3 build?
    What skin do you use?
    Are you using a Zgemma H7S?
    Would you have a link to the ipk for crossepg 0.8.6?

There are so many different versions of crossepg out there and not all will run on arm processors like the ZGemma has.

Cheers,

Flex

• Advertisement

Gerry, I wish I knew how you managed to get crossepg working on OpenATV? Can I ask what is your OpenATV 6.3 build and kernel number? Or have you any other hints?...

Unfortunately prompted by boredom and curiosity, I went and tried openATV 6.4 again. So far it actually seems to be behaving. I was also dabbling with openVix. I agree with you, it's OK but not as good looking and not as good a selection of skins and plugins.

I don't use ABM as I've never seen the need for it. Given the number of complaints of it over-writing lists etc, I'd sooner do it manually for the very rare occasions that any channel of note changes.
    If you have compiled a favourites list, the actual file(s) is the same for all images. You can manually copy them from image to image even if the backups aren't compatible.
    Look for "userbouquet.favourites.tv" in /etc/enigma2/ but do so at your own risk!!!

go here for 0.8.6

https://www.enigma2.net/plugin-crossepg-0-8-6/

The box is an et10000 here is a pic to compare.

No joy again. This is frustrating.

I don't know what is different about my setup compared with you, Swoofer and Gerry. I guess it could be drivers or underlying kernel version.

I copied the crossepg 0.8.6 ipk to /tmp and then went to install local ipk files from the OpenATV 6.3 menu. In the "Installing Software" screen I get this message:
    "Done - Installed, upgraded or removed 0 packages(with 0 errors)"

When I go to the Plugin menu there is no entry for crossepg. Nothing in the EPG or Setup menus either. So it just doesn't install looks like.

I enabled the logs but no log is produced.

The Tiviar and Zgemma both use broadcom cpus so I would expect that plugin to be compatible with my set up.

I'm trying to find your exact version of OpenATV 6.3 (2020-02-03) online but can't. There might be changes to drivers and things in my 2020-06-08 version that is stopping crossepg.

Thank you,

Flex

I have more than one box that pic was from an et10000. Did you do a reboot after the install and even do a full ie power off at back.

I have to out but look at this link

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?62607-Cross-EPG-on-H7s

Cheers. Yeah I read through that thread yesterday along with many other forum posts on the net.

But I've got crossepg working on OpenVix already. I'm being stubborn and wanting to get it working on OpenATV like you guys. Don't know why it's working for you on OpenATV and not me. Yes I rebooted the box. The plugin didn't seem to install at all when I tried that 0.8.6 ipk you linked me.

I'll keep at it.

Flex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Newbie question, I have set AutoTimers for a few shows, but it doesn't update itself. I.e. it records the occurrences over the next week or so, but then I need to re-set the Autotimer.

Is there a setting to have the AutoTimer "check" for more occurrences and add them automatically?

Running OpenVix (and using EPG refresh if that matters)

Flex, do you know about willow an grog builds over on tech kings?

do you mean auto timers? Say the progs, what have you got in autotimers? What skin and image are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

swoofer wrote: »
    do you mean auto timers? Say the progs, what have you got in autotimers? What skin and image are you using?

Sorry yes. Oops!

At moment, the only autotuner I have regularly is In the night garden on CBeebies. But I don't think that's what your asking...?

Virtuosso image extreme apparently (came preloaded from WoS)

And youVIX-blue (1920 x 1080)

Ok the image you have is known to all and many as Openvix but I just checked and lo and behold it does say Virtuoso etc so I have same image.

This is what you said first " I have set AutoTimers for a few shows" Then you say " At moment, the only autotuner I have regularly is In the night garden on CBeebies.

Autotimer is like series link in that its to record shows that run regularly, like eastenders, corrie, emmerdale, match of the day etc. So you have to practice. Normally you hit epg and read along bottom of screen. Different images and different skins give different options. And as you have same image and skin as me this is how it works.

1. Hit epg, at bottom you have green for timer and blue for autotimer, green is just a one off recording, blue is when you have a series to record. hit blue and follow instructions.

Then for a start go menu timers, autotimers ok then hit menu and have a good read, its all in there.

Swoofer, no I had never heard of "willow an grog builds over on tech kings" but I took a look. I ended up trying the Wooshbuild which is the same thing I think. You start with an OpenATV image then run an installer and supposedly you will be up and running with channels, picons and plugins in a few minutes.. not exactly my experience.

Wooshbuild sets up an epg extension called: epgimporter. First impressions is it might be "grand" for my needs but it's not giving a completely full epg of the FTA 28.2 channels like crossepg does. Some channels only go to 6 days even though I ask for 7. Some channels get no epg at all. I also don't like that it requires an internet connection to get epg from "Rytec" xml sources rather than just using the transponder on the dish from the "OpenTV" sources like crossepg does.

At this stage my choice is to stick with Openvix because crossepg works on it or Openatv and accept epgimporter as it is.

Did you set up your OpenATV image (with crossepg working) using the willow and grog build?

Flex

I set boxes up from scratch, I did set up a few Zgemma H2s and used the grog build as those boxes are tricky. People always want the sky look so I just use that and combine the epg for saorview and 28east, they tell me the channels that they always watch so I put those into favourites at the top and then buttons can open either rte1 or bbc etc. The grog build has epgimpoter and no crossepg.

What exactly are you trying to achieve, and can you say the channels you are not getting epg data for, I never check 6 days in advance?

Your box came preloaded so for me I would ask for no image and then build from the start, so for openatv 6.3 I would see what loaded and then add bits. Adding the Kiddac sly skin is the tricky bit.

Say what you are trying to achieve and I'll have a double check. I have a few boxes but do very little recording, the xtrend 10000 is for SWMBO and it has a 500gb ssd and it flies.

@FlexMcMurphy PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

Thinking of ordering a H7s to replace my venerable Amiko Alien which is on its last legs.

I have two questions:

1. I have a 1TB external USB drive plugged into the Amiko which has a lot of recordings I'd like to keep. Can I just swap the external drive over to the ZGemma and carry on as before using it as my recording device?
    2. If I use this external drive is there any need to have an internal drive fitted?

swoofer wrote: »
    What exactly are you trying to achieve, and can you say the channels you are not getting epg data for, I never check 6 days in advance?

I am trying to get crossepg running on OpenATV 6.4 such that I get a 7 day epg on fta channels on 28.2 on a ZGemma H7S.

Gerry...
    Thanks soo much for sending on a backup image of your working setup. I flashed it to my Zgemma and indeed you have crossepg working on OpenATV 6.4. Brilliant! I don't know what is wrong with my box.. I have the same OpenATV as you... version 6.4 Build: 20200607 and I go to the plugin feeds and install the systemplugin: cross epg 0.8.7 However when I do that it seems to install but crashes when I go to run the plugin. A similar error is reported here.

However, using your backup I also managed to get crossepg running on another OpenATV 6.4 install I have in another slot in the Zgemma. I copied the /usr/crossepg and /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/crossepg folders from your image to an OpenATV 6.4 install I have in another slot. I restarted the box and then it worked!

Well thanks a lot for your help swoofer and Gerry,

Flex

• Advertisement

SkySter wrote: »
    Thinking of ordering a H7s to replace my venerable Amiko Alien which is on its last legs.

I have two questions:

1. I have a 1TB external USB drive plugged into the Amiko which has a lot of recordings I'd like to keep. Can I just swap the external drive over to the ZGemma and carry on as before using it as my recording device?
    2. If I use this external drive is there any need to have an internal drive fitted?

Hello SkySter,

1. Yes
    I just switched from an Amiko Alien2 to a ZGemma H7S. I was able to plug my external usb hard drive with lots of movie recordings from the Alien2 into the Zgemma and continue using the same drive and watch recordings on it.
    2. There isn't any need to have an internal drive fitted. If you wanted to make several simultaneous recordings or use the Timeshift feature (pause live TV) then an internal drive is better. They are not expensive and I installed one myself, easily done.

By the way, I have re-purposed my Alien2 as a Sat/IP server. I plug feeds from the aerial and dish into it and run minisatip on it instead of an enigma2 image. You can get all the same free to air satellite and saorview channels by streaming them from the Alien box to a device running Kodi... but that is a topic for another thread!

Flex

My problem with getting crossepg to work on OpenATV was that I wasn't restarting the Zgemma AFTER installing the crossepg plugin!

I was trying to run crossepg right after installing it. But if you don't restart the Zgemma first then crossepg just crashes.

Flex

aha, look at post 70.

Did box come with multiboot preloaded and was it the price that decided you?

Glad you are sorted.

I have solo2 and with nothing to do was thinking of dabbling with multiboot.

I was trying so many things. But I did restart the box at one point and even plugged it out as you suggested. I think that was when I was trying other crossepg versions I was finding on the web that I don't think were compatible with the Zgemma. The version in the plugin feeds is the only one I should have been trying!

This I think is the cheapest place to get a ZGemma H7S. But I paid a little more and bought from WoS to get the two year warranty.

It came with OpenATV 6.4 in slot 1. There are 4 slots to play with which is really useful. You can switch between images in no time. I have OpenVix and two versions of OpenATV and now I'm setting up Pur E2. First impressions I really like its GUI which is modeled on Kodi. I find it easier to read the menus on it compared to the OpenATV Metrix HD skin. Actually the Simple_Ten-Eighty skin on Openvix gives me the least eye strain but I think it looks so dated.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Hi Lads,

Enigma2 newbie here. Got a H7S delivered from WoS at the weekend, and thanks to lots of lurking in this thread, was able to set it fairly well. Currently have ABM creating bouquets for Saorview and Freesat. I'll need to set up a favourites list to combine both services into a single EPG, but think I should be able to do that easily enough when I get time to sit down and put together the xml file. 2 questions for ye:

- Is it possible to easily amend channel numbers? Right now, mine are a bit all over the place. The Saorview channels are correctly numbered, but the UK channels have numbers in the thousands. The EPG order perfectly mirrors freesat (i.e. BB2 follows BBC1, with ITV after) thanks to ABM, but the numbering is off.

- Does ABM automatically add new services when they arrive to freesat? For example, will Pick HD automatically appear on my box, or will I have to do a full clear and re-scan periodically to pick up changes?

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Schorpio wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Enigma2 newbie here. Got a H7S delivered from WoS at the weekend, and thanks to lots of lurking in this thread, was able to set it fairly well. Currently have ABM creating bouquets for Saorview and Freesat. I'll need to set up a favourites list to combine both services into a single EPG, but think I should be able to do that easily enough when I get time to sit down and put together the xml file. 2 questions for ye:

- Is it possible to easily amend channel numbers? Right now, mine are a bit all over the place. The Saorview channels are correctly numbered, but the UK channels have numbers in the thousands. The EPG order perfectly mirrors freesat (i.e. BB2 follows BBC1, with ITV after) thanks to ABM, but the numbering is off.
    I've used this previously: https://echannelizer.com/

Note: on my ABM I use the Sky FTA setup, and Sky 101 becomes (for me) 1101 in the main bouquet. Not sure if that applies all the way up though.
    - Does ABM automatically add new services when they arrive to freesat? For example, will Pick HD automatically appear on my box, or will I have to do a full clear and re-scan periodically to pick up changes?

Thanks all.

I did a quick re-scan there with ABM (after updating provider files) and it wasn't received, but I assume they will be updated in due course and it will filter through...

this is Pick HD on test but you will only see a number 5829, I just rename it, this was found by dublinman in broadcasting

12363 V 27500
    FEC 2/3
    S2 8PSK
    SID 5829

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Schorpio

dulpit wrote: »
    I've used this previously: https://echannelizer.com/

Note: on my ABM I use the Sky FTA setup, and Sky 101 becomes (for me) 1101 in the main bouquet. Not sure if that applies all the way up though.

Yeah, that's the same as what I'm getting. RTE1 is on channel 1, 1101 is BBC1. It basically matches the freesat numbering, but with an extra 1 in front of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭paulhardman

Yeah, that's the same as what I'm getting. RTE1 is on channel 1, 1101 is BBC1. It basically matches the freesat numbering, but with an extra 1 in front of it.

First thing to check is to put your bouquet that you want to use the most at the top of the list; connect to openwebif on your box and go to BouquetEditor, then drag and drop. There is also a setting to change to 'alternative channel numbering', which starts each bouquet at 1 rather than 1000, this might help you?

Personally what I did was to modify a Freesat All Channels bouquet created by ABM, and put the Irish channels in the 401+ range, which is unused by Freesat. It took a bit of manual counting of blank channels! Shout up if you want to know exactly how I did it.

• Advertisement

Hi Schorpio,

Yes, with the OpenWebIf bouquet editor you can create your own favourites channels lists or edit existing ones created by ABM.

Don't know if you want to add channel logos (picons) as well? You can get lists of them online. You add them to a folder on the Zgemma such as /picon and tell the enigma2 image where to look for them.

As swoofer mentioned e-channelizer that lets you sort your channels into lists as well and to add channel logos (or picons) to any channels missing them. It's a bit of extra work but looks well when done. Screenshots attached.

Flex

Advertisement