Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Leonita

It is but I don't have to point it directly at the box like the H7. I can use the remote from any direction on the H8

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Leonita

Sorry I'm a bit lost could you please explain? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭greasepalm

You want to setup your new box like i assume.

Do you have a laptop or desktop at home if so enter your box ip like 192.168.0.24 into the browser and you get an entry into H7S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭andy1249

The Remote is exactly the same on all Zgemma boxes.

The IR receiver in the box however , is another thing.

The H82h is the sort of thing thats cheap enough to buy to have a mess around with and see how E2 boxes work.

For me though , its far too slow bringing up the EPG to use as any kind of main box , it degrades picture quality noticeably compared to any other box , ( crappy entry level huawei chipset ) and it has a habit of freezing/stuttering/audio catching up on high bitrate HD channels.

You are right though , its IR receiver is far better than the H7s

Regarding setup , you can manually copy some general settings , either use webif as suggested above or take some pictures of the menus on your phone.

There is no easy way out , you cannot directly transfer software from one box to another unless its exactly the same model.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭swoofer

The easy way out is to get this remote for 10 euro at amazon, "" New Replacement Zgemma Remote Control for Zgemma Star Satellite Receiver - No Setup Needed '' Free delivery with prime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭MenloPete

It would help if you told us which model remote you have - there are several with that description.

Just put that in the amazon search and the one that pops up is the one you need, the 10 euro price is also a hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Yes there is

On remote control unit…press file list

Your recordings will appear with the folder Deleted Items at the top

Scroll to that folder until it is highlighted only the press Menu on remote control and select Empty Trash Can and the box will you asked Permanently Delete All Recordings from the Trash Can?

Press Yes…….and all deleted recordings will be gone from your trash can, present recordings will not be affected

Cheers

Socks 🇮🇪

Post edited by MonkieSocks on

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Upgraded from Tiviar to ZGemma on OpenVix 6.5. Got it from WOS and all is going fine. Very easy setup.

One problem I am having is the the Zgemma keeps dropping off the network. It's connected via wifi using a USB dongle I had with tiviar and just switched it out. I can go into network settings and restart network and it comes back online, but drops again after a couple of hours.

Right now I'm watching TV and it's telling me no network connection.

Any ideas what it might be?

Hmm not sure if you need to load a driver with this or is pre installed.

• Advertisement

you would need to say name of the usb wi fi dongle and then can check for a driver. 6.5 is very new and may have a glitch. did you dwonload a driver when using dongle on tiviar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Didn't download a driver. Just plugged in the Wi-Fi dongle and it worked

Post edited by FastFullBack on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

And thats all you should have to do. I have the generic €10 wifi dongle for usb from freesat.ie and no problem. Is the box in a funny spot where the signal may be weak?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭MenloPete

Maybe not related, but I found that putting the dongle on a USB extension cable and away from the box increased my speed dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 AindrisBro

sorry if this has been posted before but spent literally hours searching everywhere for info. I added a few add ons to kodi and whenever I have tried to play any programs or videos it stuttered a lot. Checked all I could settings etc and no avail. Keeps happening on all apps and I’ve yet to get a clear playback also from downloads. I’ve just seen now going into summery that the memory usage is stuck at 87% when idle. Which now I’m assuming is what’s causing the playback issue. Has anyone any advice on this? The box is only a couple of months if even old has an ssd with it etc and was bought and also set up by world of satellite. I am afraid to mess around in case it bunches the box or kodi on me as I remember from years ago they could be seriously temperamental.

Edit I haven’t changed or done anything for kodi itself like new skins or anything it’s just the default ones. Programs I added were Asgard and the crew.

Not sure if anybody has gotten Kodi to play smoothly as most use other forms of Android boxes for that and keep it for sat only/ terrestrial.

Maybe others will jump in with other comments.

Are we talking about zgemmah7 here? Because if we are than the answer is the zgemmah7 isnt really fit to be a kodi box never mind addons. It will work but only just, kodi will always be on the edge with ram and cpu again never mind add ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 AindrisBro

well that’s better explains it. I simply took the fact it had it preinstalled that it was something that was manageable. In all fairness the cpu is usually low around the 20% (I’m assuming it’s cause of the ssd) just the ram stuck at 87%.. has anyone ever tried upgrading the ram in the box? I wouldn’t mind having it on it just to expand its use further

edit just looked it up and it’s impossible to upgrade the memory as it’s soldered into the motherboard. Just in case in anyone in the future is wondering. Cheers for the replies guys

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Morning all, I installed the latest Vix version 6.5.003. Having an issue with plugins specifically Crossepg as it did not restore and won't from backups, I also can't find it in "download plugins"

The error is "bad magic number"

Can anyone point me as to where I can source crossepg and install manually?

Thanks in advance

Crossepg does not work with Openvix 6.5.xxx

Its in the release notes and discussed over on the WOS forums.

You use the installed EPG importers instead , which are simplicity itself to set up and work just as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Can I be really lazy and just ask how in the name of God do you retune a channel on this box when it changes frequency? Ive been through the menus 50 times and there is nothing, whats the easiest way?

For example on my parents Ariva you just add transponder→Scan→move the new channel to its desired position on the channel list and delete the old one. There is nothing like this on the Zgemma…

So if I grabbed this USB dongle and plugged it in I could access the box without having to break out the network cable and run it to the router every time?

Setting up ABM autobouquetmaker plugin to run at 1am will remove and rescan your channels and no need to go searching and assume your box is connected to internet.

Or check Kingofsats for channel info to see if it has moved data.

" for this "Can I be really lazy and just ask how in the name of God do you retune a channel on this box when it changes frequency? Ive been through the menus 50 times and there is nothing, what/s the easiest way?" If using vix image.

1. menu, setup, tuners & scanning, press ok , now arrow down to signal finder, press ok, arrow down to tune, it will say predefined, arrow right it will say user defined, now enter your new details and press green, more than one channel may appear, select the one you want, press ok, it opens , arrow up, then menu, now see 7 add service , select it and then a list of bouquets appear select the one you want and press ok, It will be added to your bouquet but at the end, so now select it in bouquet, press menu and see red button enable move mode, then highlight the channel you want to move and it turns red, now move it to where you want. NB If enable move mode does not appear come back.

2, You can have same channel in loads of bouquets, Its seems tedious but once you learn it its easy peasy.

……

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭ArrBee

after a few weeks with this box I've found a couple of things that I don't like.
    Maybe it is particular to my box or config, if so please add your opinion!

1. time shift doesn't seem to have a limit (other than disk space) This filled up a NAS share and crashed the STB.

2. the terristrial tuner seems "weak" for RTE2/TG4 mux. I do have it split nd can probably improve it, but one feed goes to TV and the other goes to the box. Even if I swap the feeds around, the TV has no problem where the STB occasionaly has glithcy reception.

3. it only has 1 terrestrial tuner. it really limits the ability to watch and record local TV or watch on 2 screens.

4. UI is a challange. I'm using the sky-ish one and you can switch from a sub menu to a a different menu branch - you have to go out then back in. eg. from EPG you can't go direct to recorded files. You can probably reconfigure what the buttons do but tthat seems like a massive job.

5. I've had a "random lockup" that required a hard reboot.

6. if the box is showing a menu dialog it doesn't seem possible to go onto standby until you exit back up to the main screen.
    eg. if I am watching a different input on the TV, I can't turn the STB off at the end of the night if it was waiting on a submenu dialog.

I'm wondering if the issues I have described are going to be the same on other HW running the same image, or the same if I run a different image on the H7s….

2 I would be rechecking your area provider is correct and your connections are good on your cables and no stray strands.

3 Never had an issue as if i wanted to record on terrestrial on another channel and view other on tv .

4 Most E2 boxes you have to exit out before moving to another job in the menu.

5 I also have had box lock up many times on all images even on ones done fresh and no backups restored.

6 Yes you have to clear any item from menu been showing before box can go into standby or other , all items are the same on other E2 boxes except the Hard reboot.

• Advertisement

Point no 4: Ditch the sky copycat skin , they are all rubbish.

Its not a sky box , skins that pretend it is are flaky as hell. I ditched it for the openvix default skin and all my problems went away. Openvix default skin also lets me do whatever I want within all the menus without any fuss , live TV just moves up to a smaller window on the left whilst Im messing around.

Point number 1 , timeshift menu should give you options for start , stop , and amount of space/recording time used , if it doesnt , then again the issue is most likely that dodgy sky skin …… I have timeshift set for 2 hours max , option to save/do not save as recording when exiting.

By default , my setup will delete timeshift recordings after each program if it is left unattended

Post edited by andy1249 on

Advertisement