Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dental plan!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,760 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Watching new episodes and have a question

What is up with Marges voice ?? Did they change voice actress

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

PTH2009 wrote: »

You did waaaaaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Think it's the same actress but they just made her sound much more defeated and sad, instead of being cautious and put upon but capable of being feisty too. Just one of many transformations of characters for the worse in the show. Bart and Homer are really awful characters now.

The argument is they have to evolve. I disagree. The better option is to stop making episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

homer's voice changed ages ago too... and I don't mean from this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Homer S: Portrait of an ass grabber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

"Two, four, six, eight, Homer's Crime was very great! Great meaning large or immense, we use it in the pejorative sense!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Rawr

Think it's the same actress but they just made her sound much more defeated and sad, instead of being cautious and put upon but capable of being feisty too. Just one of many transformations of characters for the worse in the show. Bart and Homer are really awful characters now.

The argument is they have to evolve. I disagree. The better option is to stop making episodes.

I fear it this is also due to Julie Kavner's voice becoming increasingly strained over the years of voicing Marge. Alas, it's the best she can probably do due to 30+ years of strain and possible damage to her vocal chords.

Just to make things worse, in more recent years the writers have had this horrendous knack of using Marge as an exposition device for most of their jokes. She often describes jokes in the script where in the past the jokes would just stand on their own. This means that Kavner's spoken lines have increased just at a time where she could do with more breaks between recordings.

So Marge's voice is alas going to get worse, especially if the writers continue to fall onto their current bad habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Rawr wrote: »
    I fear it this is also due to Julie Kavner's voice becoming increasingly strained over the years of voicing Marge. Alas, it's the best she can probably do due to 30+ years of strain and possible damage to her vocal chords.

Just to make things worse, in more recent years the writers have had this horrendous knack of using Marge as an exposition device for most of their jokes. She often describes jokes in the script where in the past the jokes would just stand on their own. This means that Kavner's spoken lines have increased just at a time where she could do with more breaks between recordings.

So Marge's voice is alas going to get worse, especially if the writers continue to fall onto their current bad habits.
    It's a microcosm of everything that's wrong with the show then. Bad writing, actors aging out of the voices, bad writing, the characters becoming less compelling, bad writing, a lack of a sense of purpose, and bad writing.

I don't watch the show anymore. Mainly because of the bad writing.

And the awful soulless animation.

But mainly the bad writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Acid, eh? Gee, that would've been stupid, hee hee. Boy, would my face have been red, heh heh heh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

"Two, four, six, eight, Homer's Crime was very great! Great meaning large or immense, we use it in the pejorative sense!"

My favorite line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Freddy: Hey! What the hell is this?
    Waiter: It's a bowl of chaudere sir.
    Freddy: Wait a minute, come here. What did you call it? Say it loud enough so everyone can hear. Come on, say it.
    Waiter: Ahem. chaudere.
    Freddy: Chau-dere? Chau-dere? It's "chowdah." Say it right!
    Waiter: Chaudere.
    Freddy: Come back here! I'm not through demeaning you.

ExCon Security sales guy: But surely you can’t put a price on your family's lives.
    Homer: I wouldn’t have thought so either, but here we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Marge - "Homer when I married you I knew we wouldn't live in luxury"
    Homer - "And I kept that vow"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Homer: A contractor? Those guys are the biggest crooks around. They charge for materials AND labour! Pick one, jerks!

April Foo-

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

We need more Bort licence plates in the gift shop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

April Foo-
    BOOM!

April Foo-

We need pretzels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Accepting the award is the son of the guy who played Huggy Bear.

Paramedic at door: Who called for an emergency sisterectomy?

• Advertisement

Homer: potato man
    Stage manager: where the hell have you been?

Homer: potato man
    Stage manager: where the hell have you been?

That was Paul McGuinness U2s manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Security salesman: but sir, you can’t put a price on your family’s safety’s
    Homer: you’d think so, but here we are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I voted for Prell to go back to the old glass bottle. After that, I became deeply cynical

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

When Marge first told me she was joining the police academy, I thought it was going to be fun and exciting, you know, like that movie. Spaceballs. But instead, it's been painful and disturbing like that movie Police Academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Gloria S:Johnny-boy hasn't been able to cut it, man-wise, for some time, not that I'd want stench of gin and sour defeat pressed against me.

John S:That's enough, Gloria!

Reverend Lovejoy: John, why don't you speak?

John S: She never cooks, she doesn't keep a clean house, she smokes and she drinks and she talks profanely! She's the queen of the harpies!

Gloria S: No, I'm not.

John S: QUEEN OF THE HARPIES!

Gloria S: No, I'm not!

John S: Here's your crown, Your Majesty. Queen of the harpies!

Gloria S: Get away from me, you swine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

lisa needs braces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

He’s not coming back, is he?
    He might.
    No he’s not!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Savecoronabeer

Fat Tony and Co.

"We have to whack your Mom"

"But she makes such good pasta sauce"

"It comes from a can"