Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enniscorthy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Probably still talking to myself but I will keep posting regardless.

The closure of shops due to CV-19 continues - with a twist - apparently thanks to efforts of some of our ethnic minority. The Bus Stop Shop has now closed for 'the next few days'. I noted an empty Dublin bound bus there this morning and there was nobody waiting for it. Any trains that I have seen over the last couple of days have also been virtually empty.

Old%2BXtravision.jpg

Above: The old Xtravision premises has had a window smashed and it can't be long before the place is further attacked. The idea that our invisible garda force are going to be able to lock down the town, if called upon to do so, is laughable. :(

Question for you Del Monte, why do you live in Enniscorthy? All you ever seen to post about is how awful the place is, how run down it is, how poor the local amenities are and how terrible a few locals are.

If things are that bad why live in Enniscorthy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Question for you Del Monte, why do you live in Enniscorthy? All you ever seen to post about is how awful the place is, how run down it is, how poor the local amenities are and how terrible a few locals are.

He/she is right about the neglect in the town. As to why someone is living here, that's no one's business but their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Do you have any more positive light to shed? I can understand how somebody who may have lived a long time in one place can become disheartened when the place becomes run down. It's hard for people of a certain age, who grew up in a gentler time when people respected the law and each other, to see that place run down by the actions or inactionns of the powers that be.
    I'm not a native of Enniscorthy but I visit it regularly and it's obvious to me how it has deteriorated over the last 10-15 years and seemingly there is little effort by Local Government to address this.

paulaa wrote: »
    He/she is right about the neglect in the town. As to why someone is living here, that's no one's business but their own.

I didn't ask why they live here I asked why continue to live here if everything is so bad.

If I remember correctly I think Del Monte moved to Enniscorthy a few years ago (apologies if that's wrong I may be mixing you up with another poster?) so they may not have any ties to the area. If I didn't and I wasn't happy with the area I was living I'd move.

I agree that the town could do with a good bit of work and there will always be the few who cause trouble in any town, but at the end of the day it's what the town is. The people of Enniscorthy keep voting in the same people into office here so little will be done to improve the area until there are changes at council level.

It's different visiting an area or actually living in it. The longer your somewhere the more apparent the issues are.

In response to the other poster look at all the different shops and clubs offering to deliver groceries or help out people during the Covid-19 crisis. There is a decent community spirt here, especially in the more mature estates etc.

There are also some very good sporting facilities and the town council have built playgrounds for kids (vandalised by the few) and invested in the Prom walk. But at the end of the day there's only so many staff in the council to maintain these areas and obviously some will go long periods between painting/maintenance. But I bet most towns experience the exact same issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

If you bothered to check my posting history, I report everything that I notice good and bad or anything that concerns me - warts and all. That there is more negative than positive to report is hardly my fault.

As for your final point - I have been living in the Enniscorthy area since 2001 and my family have lived in the area for 370+ years - is that alright with you?

Near%2BBlackstoops.jpg

Above: Something positive but which could go either way if the heavy hand of the council get it wrong - the unspoilt woodlands out towards Blackstoops.

I didn't ask why they live here I asked why continue to live here if everything is so bad.

If I remember correctly I think Del Monte moved to Enniscorthy a few years ago (apologies if that's wrong I may be mixing you up with another poster?) so they may not have any ties to the area. If I didn't and I wasn't happy with the area I was living I'd move.

I agree that the town could do with a good bit of work and there will always be the few who cause trouble in any town, but at the end of the day it's what the town is. The people of Enniscorthy keep voting in the same people into office here so little will be done to improve the area until there are changes at council level.

It's different visiting an area or actually living in it. The longer your somewhere the more apparent the issues are.

In response to the other poster look at all the different shops and clubs offering to deliver groceries or help out people during the Covid-19 crisis. There is a decent community spirit here, especially in the more mature estates etc.

There are also some very good sporting facilities and the town council have built playgrounds for kids (vandalised by the few) and invested in the Prom walk. But at the end of the day there's only so many staff in the council to maintain these areas and obviously some will go long periods between painting/maintenance. But I bet most towns experience the exact same issues.

First of all as I said, what that person does and why is personal and is none of our business. Anyone living in the town is entitled to voice their opinion. I sense an attitude typical of small town mentality in your post.

I was born and reared here and the town has gone to pot in the last few years in particular. The mindless vandalism, the lack of respect for people and their property, the scum openly dealing drugs and the begrudging attitude that pervades the town is sickening for anyone who cares about the place.

There was always a good community spirit in town but now there is a serious underbelly of criminal activity as well. You may be content to ignore this with your "it's what the town is". Most people are saddened by it and want something done about it.

Depending on the council for everything is ridiculous. Back as far as the 50's ordinary people looked after their own areas and estates. They took pride in them. Now people couldn't care less. I'm not interested in "most towns" . I'm interested in my home town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

If you want anything done about the town then you should be beating down the doors of the offices of Paul Kehoe, James Browne and Johnny Mythen. If they don't respond or listen to you, try organise a public meeting on it, see how quick they respond.

Nice and crisp at 7am this morning with frost on the swimming pool roof. I love the sight of steam rising off the river.

STEAMY%2BMORNING.jpg

Computer%2BShop%2BChris%2BKavanagh.jpg

Elsewhere the two long empty shops on Parnell Road are getting a makeover - did they sell I wonder and if so what's going in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

60 Asylum Seekers coming to the old Nursing Home up the Shannon* (*Edit to me it's not quite up the Shannon but I'm only a blow in & my Nan lived there.....) & Jackser Owens (Ind./NP) & Cllr. Cathal Byrne (FG) both ran with it & once the blue touch paper was lit it inevitably only went one way in the main.......

How long's Nursing Home closed; 3-5 years is it?

Is it the Shannon now or more Spring Valley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    60 Asylum Seekers coming to the old Nursing Home up the Shannon* (*Edit to me it's not quite up the Shannon but I'm only a blow in & my Nan lived there.....) & Jackser Owens (Ind./NP) & Cllr. Cathal Byrne (FG) both ran with it & once the blue touch paper was lit it inevitably only went one way in the main.......

How long's Nursing Home closed; 3-5 years is it?

Is it the Shannon now or more Spring Valley?

Spring valley. I'd say it's in dreadful condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

No plans for an asylum centre apparently.

https://wexfordtoday.com/2020/03/31/no-plans-for-direct-provision-centre-in-enniscorthy/

The Guardian had an article about fifty women practically on their way.

In Dunnes very briefly today - checkout girl no gloves or mask. In the Credit Union where they are fairly well organised a man lent into the hatch hands all over the counter all the time he was there and finished off by coughing - I nearly ran out the door.

And more negativity - another window in Xtravision smashed.

kneemos wrote: »
    No plans for an asylum centre apparently.

https://wexfordtoday.com/2020/03/31/no-plans-for-direct-provision-centre-in-enniscorthy/

The Guardian had an article about fifty women practically on their way.

No harm; the s**t show on Jackser Owens & Cathal Byrnes pages was odious.

Main issue with DP for me is lack of communication with locals; it leads to words like "dumped" being used like such people are rubbish & not human; the flip side of it is you can't choose your neighbours.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    No harm; the s**t show on Jackser Owens & Cathal Byrnes pages was odious.

Main issue with DP for me is lack of communication with locals; it leads to words like "dumped" being used like such people are rubbish & not human; the flip side of it is you can't choose your neighbours.

Facebook is probably where the story originated from. Alongside the white van cruising the area.

It's a great time to be out walking and I'm averaging about 7km a day and hardly see a soul. This morning at about 7.15am you could actually hear the Slaney and not a car/truck to be heard.

Second walk about 11.30am took me out to Davis' Mill and back along the Promenade - met just three people in total.

PROM%2BAPRIL%2B1st.jpeg
    BIRDS.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Gotta agree Del Monte, I'm WFH but getting about 10k a day in so as I'm not stuck inside all day. One thing though is the amount of dog **** in the town is disgraceful, and a lot of fly tipping, especially out Cherryorchard towards the Still and out by Carleys Bridge.

Gotta agree Del Monte, I'm WFH but getting about 10k a day in so as I'm not stuck inside all day. One thing though is the amount of dog **** in the town is disgraceful, and a lot of fly tipping, especially out Cherryorchard towards the Still and out by Carleys Bridge.

The Moyne and Greenville are the same . The footpaths are full of it. I see people standing and watching while their dogs do their business in people's gardens. They don't bother picking it up either.

Anybody receive their FREE An Post "Come Together. Write Now" postcards yet? I haven't which is kind of ironic given that I run the only two postcard sites in the country.

Here's the shameless plug: https://irishpostcards.wordpress.com/ :D

They probably picked them up when they were over in China..... :)
    Have not received either. Won't use them when I do as I am sure the post is another spreading mechanism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

No, no cards here.

• Advertisement

Got mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

The cards have a very glossy back/writing surface. Completely unsuitable for writing on IMO. :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

blindsider wrote: »
    The cards have a very glossy back/writing surface. Completely unsuitable for writing on IMO. :-(

Perfect for keeping viruses alive for the maximum length of time however.

We got two, my daughter posted one to her Nanny in the Shannon and one to an elderly friend in Bellefield. Really lovely idea.

Might there be any of these available in Post Office iitself?

Reason being I share accommodation (mutual entrance/porch) & because upstairs neighbours in first floor flat've a kid I left them at it.

But I wouldn't mind getting 2 myself for my Ma in 'Scorthy (Shingan, Milehouse Rd.) & my Da (over the border in Sth. Co. Carlow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

We received our postcards last week. Have written them and returned them to the post box. I think it's lovely idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Not quite an Enniscorthy thing but apparently there was a row on the Joe Duffy show as people were asking was it okay for them to go to their holiday homes and mobiles in Wexford this weekend if they observed social distancing as they do at home. They couldn't see why people were getting upset over loads of families decamping from Dublin and invading county Wexford.

Surely mobile home parks and the like won't be open, hardly what could be classed as an essential service.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Surely mobile home parks and the like won't be open, hardly what could be classed as an essential service.

Afaik the mobile parks were open but closed when Paul Kehoe said on local radio that people travelling down to stay in them during a pandemic wasn't on.
    Holiday homes are another story. Look at the furore over the people landing in Connemara etc to sit this lockdown out.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

All Mobile home parks are all closed since 24th of March. This will be reviewed by the Government on the 19th of April. But Leo should come straight out before Friday and tell people that they are not allowed to visit holiday homes instead of just asking people to not visit.

• Advertisement

St Senan wrote: »
    All Mobile home parks are all closed since 24th of March. This will be reviewed by the Government on the 19th of April. But Leo should come straight out before Friday and tell people that they are not allowed to visit holiday homes instead of just asking people to not visit.

Agreed, but I think the plan is to appeal to peoples' common sense and build a community spirit. I think the government don't want to come the heavy for fear of it being counterproductive.

Put guards at every junction on the N/M11 and send them all back...

it's possible that the legislation due to pass this week could lead to just that.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    it's possible that the legislation due to pass this week could lead to just that.

Announced on Primetime tonight,up to a €2500 fine. New powers for Gardai.

Listening to Charlie Flanagan on the radio this morning and wasn't impressed, too much "should do" and "may not". Laws need to be robust and strictly enforced, to make people sit up and think about what they are doing.
    One caller from Cork spoke of dozens of British cars disembarking from ferries, possibly to visit family here or holiday homes and little sign of Garda intervention. We're either going to do this or we're not, no half measures and I think the vast majority of our population will tolerate a temporary erosion of Civil Liberties to get over this.

Charlie Flanagan should have been pensioned off years ago as he has no control over his law and order brief.

In positive news, Malloca's is open again from tomorrow. Collection and delivery only.

Sandro's is my new favourite takeaway though.

• Advertisement

In positive news, Malloca's is open again from tomorrow. Collection and delivery only.

Sandro's wins hands down in my opinion. :)

I wonder are there any delivery jobs going? Could do with something at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

We tried Moronis (where ABC was) just for a bag of chips last week... very tasty but a much smaller portion than you'd get from Tony's or Sandros. It's plenty for 1 person but we're gone used to buying one bag and splitting it between us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Sorry Folks for the little rant, but, in my local area in the past few days...

Local members of a certain community had an impromptu horse fair, about 50 of them together in a very small area (We call it Gahan's cross). Gardaí, were too busy to respond (Understandably, I guess...)

Someone I know called James Brown TD, and he must have gotten through to a better operator, because 2 bean Gardaí called up almost immediately (as if they could have enforced anything against a mob like that)

Down my street, in "Chappies" house, (a tiny Council bungalow) 40 to 50 members of the same ethnic minority having a gathering that the Gardaí just drove by, despite the boombox blasting out dreadful "Irish Country" Music?

They did stop some people out walking though, to ask them where they were going...

Directly across the road from Chappies, more members of the same community having another boombox party with about 70 to 80 participants. One of my neighbours had to go over at 12.30 AM to ask them to turn down the music so their children could go to sleep. He met nothing but ignorance, but, he's just as ignorant and hard as nails, so they turned it down...

I have a feeling that, all of a sudden, one certain group of people, will fill the ICUs, and no-one else will have a hope of getting the help they'll need, despite having payed their way for most of their lives...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

But it's up to us to be more tolerant of their 'culture'.......

Once a cnut, always a cnut. They'll never change

johnnybmac wrote: »
    Sorry Folks for the little rant, but, in my local area in the past few days...

Local members of a certain community had an impromptu horse fair, about 50 of them together in a very small area (We call it Gahan's cross). Gardaí, were too busy to respond (Understandably, I guess...)

Someone I know called James Brown TD, and he must have gotten through to a better operator, because 2 bean Gardaí called up almost immediately (as if they could have enforced anything against a mob like that)

Down my street, in "Chappies" house, (a tiny Council bungalow) 40 to 50 members of the same ethnic minority having a gathering that the Gardaí just drove by, despite the boombox blasting out dreadful "Irish Country" Music?

They did stop some people out walking though, to ask them where they were going...

Directly across the road from Chappies, more members of the same community having another boombox party with about 70 to 80 participants. One of my neighbours had to go over at 12.30 AM to ask them to turn down the music so their children could go to sleep. He met nothing but ignorance, but, he's just as ignorant and hard as nails, so they turned it down...

I have a feeling that, all of a sudden, one certain group of people, will fill the ICUs, and no-one else will have a hope of getting the help they'll need, despite having payed their way for most of their lives...

Awful, if I said what I really think of them filling the A&E I would be banned from posting!!

• Advertisement

In some related news, the "Bus Stop Shop" on Shannon Quay has reopened for business.

Meanwhile the Council (?) have once again shot themselves in the foot. Back in February I was horrified to see that a tree on my newly discovered riverside woodland walk, out towards Blackstoops, had been cut down. Worse than that, two crude, unfit for purpose seats had been chainsawed out of the remains and left beside the river. The inevitable has, of course, happened and one of the 'seats' is now in the river beside the railway bridge. Whoever thought there was a need to provide seats and to make them from a tree needs their head examined. Who is going to remove this from the river or will it be left until it's washed up against the Seamus Rafter bridge come the next flood?

SEAT%2BFINAL.jpg

Couldn't resist the urge to check out the situation further - still only 2km from home!

The entrance to the woods has been ploughed for some unknown reason and the approach is a mess. Acres of badly mown grass, the "Brooklyn Bench" and a heavily and needlessly strimmed bank. The woods have plenty of cans and other rubbish that the council would be better to spend their resources on cleaning up.

At the far end of the path the remaining log seat does not make a pretty picture and a small bonfire had been lit nearby. The amount of dog ****e has increased since my previous visit as has the amount of general litter - probably the result of more locals using the place since the lockdown. I have investigated the area further and there's a great variety of stuff dumped at the far end including a shopping trolley. Why can the Council not see what's right in front of their eyes. I really fear what they have in mind for the place - concrete paths, bins, galvanised lighting poles etc......... I will be pursuing the matter with the council and report back if I have any news.

BROOKLYN%2BAREA.jpgSEAT%2BAND%2BFIRE.jpg

Excellent response from the council after reporting dumping. It was gone within an hour or two.

kneemos wrote: »
    Excellent response from the council after reporting dumping. It was gone within an hour or two.

In fairness to the council, this is an area that I have found them very good in.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    In fairness to the council, this is an area that I have found them very good in.

Because there's a chance they might get a name from the rubbish and fine someone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement