Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

It seems that parents have given up completely on keeping their teenage kids at home,safe distance gone completely out the window.
    Tony Holohan saying that there's a worrying rise in cases among the young yet they carry on as if it's a holiday.

In my experience, trying to convince teenagers to do anything other than exactly they want to do, is a recipe for disaster. I'd say parents allow them to go out in an effort to preserve sanity. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Dunnes has re-opened their drapery department which, apparently, has peaked the interest of many a casual browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Dunnes has re-opened their drapery department which, apparently, has peaked the interest of many a casual browser.

Why are they allowed to open when all the clothes shops around the town are told to stay closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That's open since last Wednesday... I think you mean piqued.. unless they're selling baseball caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I can't see why clothes shops can't open if social distancing is in place. The only problem is people trying on clothes or doing the traditional thing in Penney's which is picking up stuff, carrying it around the shop and leaving it back down in a random spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You're no angel yourself when it comes to such gaffs :D
    Woosh....

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Duffry Goat

paulaa wrote: »

I had the pleasure of negotiating my way through the Milehouse,dodging teens sauntering around the road as every bit of space had cars,vans and jeeps parked up. Bottles everywhere as groups of men stood around drinking.
    I was told that about 400 attended the burial.
    You can bet if anyone else carried on that way there'd be any amount of Gardai on the scene breaking it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

I dont understand why the Gardai are allowing this to continue. It's not just in Enniscorthy either.
    The rest of the community cannot attend the funerals of their loved ones or have weddings .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

paulaa wrote: »

I found it ironic what while the priest on the one hand wanted to be seen to be considerate of members of a certain community, he still used the term 'itinerant', which isn't exactly PC any more and which I believe they don't like themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I had the pleasure of negotiating my way through the Milehouse,dodging teens sauntering around the road as every bit of space had cars,vans and jeeps parked up. Bottles everywhere as groups of men stood around drinking.
    I was told that about 400 attended the burial.
    You can bet if anyone else carried on that way there'd be any amount of Gardai on the scene breaking it up.

Look on the bright side, lots of people still have what is rightfully theirs today.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

kneemos wrote: »

Don't know if that will help small business's ,might need another car park then.

kneemos wrote: »

Is this full time or just for the time being ?
    If it's full time then they may as well just close down the town and turn out the lights. Street art and clowns are not going to bring much needed revenue to the town.
    Is there no one with a jot of sense on the council

Because the one way system they tried before worked so well that they abandoned them after a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

The pedestrianisation of Rafter Street killed the only vibrant street in the town, now they want more of it?

The pedestrianisation of Rafter Street killed the only vibrant street in the town, now they want more of it?

It was a miserable traffic clogged mess before and the pedestrianisation had less to do with its demise than the closure of Dunnes.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It was a miserable traffic clogged mess before and the pedestrianisation had less to do with its demise than the closure of Dunnes.

True. But while it was a bit of a traffic clogged mess, it was a street where shops did well. I definitely don't think pedestrianisation is the answer, they need to make the town easier to access, not harder!

I never understood or agreed with this point of view. I'm old enough to remember when they first pedestrianised the main street in Wexford. There were exactly the same fears from businesses and Chamber of Commerce and the like there that it would kill the street, but instead it's thriving (or at least, it was thriving before the pandemic days!).

Also, did people really expect to be able to find a parking spot on Rafter Street so they could drive right to the door of whatever shop they wanted to go to? You can walk to Rafter Street in less than a minute from the old Dunnes Stores car park, or in less than five minutes from either the new Dunnes car park, the Abbey Square car park, or the one opposite Pettitt's. Are people that lazy that they wouldn't walk five minutes if the shops and other businesses there are attractive enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Duffry Goat

ENNISCORTHY AND DISTRICT CHAMBER OF COMMERCE.

Portsmouth House,
    Templeshannon.

Dear member,
    I am writing to you to dispel considerable misinformation which has appeared on various social media outlets over the past 24 hours concerning pedestrianisation in Enniscorthy. The process of re-opening the town for business following the prolonged lockdown brought about by the Covid 19 pandemic is underway and gaining momentum.
    Enniscorthy Municipal Authority officials are examining a number of possible initiatives to help local business owners comply with social distancing regulations and one suggestion/idea being examined is to pedestrianised part of Market Square from its junction with Irish Street to its junction with Slaney Street, a distance of some 200 yards. No other area of the town will be pedestrianised apart from Rafter Street and Slaney Street which already forms part of Enniscorthy’s pedestrianised thoroughfares.
    A representative meeting of vested interests will take place tomorrow, Wednesday, in the Municipal Authority Offices in Court Street at which the Authority’s plans for the re-opening of Enniscorthy after the lockdown will be unveiled. I must emphasise; however, the plans will only be implemented after careful and prolonged discussions with the various stakeholders and then only with their approval and support.
    Enniscorthy Municipal Authority will not impose its will in respect of the plans implementation but will work with all relevant stakeholders in devising a format but suited to meet the needs of the town’s business sector.
    Much of what has appeared on social media outlets is inaccurate and harmful and in no way reflects the efforts of the Municipal Authority to get Enniscorthy open again for business after the forced lockdown of recent months.
    I will continue to work with the local authority in the best interests of the town and will actively support any or all measures designed to bring about a return to normality in the weeks and months ahead.

Jimmy Gahan
    CEO
    Corporate Sponsors

ENNISCORTHY AND DISTRICT CHAMBER OF COMMERCE.

Portsmouth House,
    Templeshannon.

Dear member,
    I am writing to you to dispel considerable misinformation which has appeared on various social media outlets over the past 24 hours concerning pedestrianisation in Enniscorthy. The process of re-opening the town for business following the prolonged lockdown brought about by the Covid 19 pandemic is underway and gaining momentum.
    Enniscorthy Municipal Authority officials are examining a number of possible initiatives to help local business owners comply with social distancing regulations and one suggestion/idea being examined is to pedestrianised part of Market Square from its junction with Irish Street to its junction with Slaney Street, a distance of some 200 yards. No other area of the town will be pedestrianised apart from Rafter Street and Slaney Street which already forms part of Enniscorthy’s pedestrianised thoroughfares.
    A representative meeting of vested interests will take place tomorrow, Wednesday, in the Municipal Authority Offices in Court Street at which the Authority’s plans for the re-opening of Enniscorthy after the lockdown will be unveiled. I must emphasise; however, the plans will only be implemented after careful and prolonged discussions with the various stakeholders and then only with their approval and support.
    Enniscorthy Municipal Authority will not impose its will in respect of the plans implementation but will work with all relevant stakeholders in devising a format but suited to meet the needs of the town’s business sector.
    Much of what has appeared on social media outlets is inaccurate and harmful and in no way reflects the efforts of the Municipal Authority to get Enniscorthy open again for business after the forced lockdown of recent months.
    I will continue to work with the local authority in the best interests of the town and will actively support any or all measures designed to bring about a return to normality in the weeks and months ahead.

Jimmy Gahan
    CEO
    Corporate Sponsors

Since when did the Gorey Guardian become social media? :confused:

Also, did people really expect to be able to find a parking spot on Rafter Street so they could drive right to the door of whatever shop they wanted to go to? Are people that lazy that they wouldn't walk five minutes if the shops and other businesses there are attractive enough?

Just go to Lidl or Aldi to see just how lazy some people are, they'd drive through the doors if they could. There could be a parking space 4 or 5 metres away yet they park right at the door or worse again in the disabled spaces to save the extra few strides they have to take to get in the door.

Oh, I know, but at least you can expect to find a parking spot at least somewhat near the door of Lidl or Aldi since they both have their own fairly large car parks.

What I mean is if Rafter Street was really 'thriving' because you could park outside shops there, could anybody really expect to always find a parking spot there themselves when they wanted it, if so many others got there before them to make the place thrive in the first place? Seems a bit of a Catch 22 to me.

And if you were back to cars parking half up on footpaths and the street itself being out of bounds for walking because there was traffic on it, then I know that I for one would actually avoid the place instead, rather than try walk through crowds on the bit of the footpath that wasn't filled with cars.

I never understood or agreed with this point of view. I'm old enough to remember when they first pedestrianised the main street in Wexford. There were exactly the same fears from businesses and Chamber of Commerce and the like there that it would kill the street, but instead it's thriving (or at least, it was thriving before the pandemic days!).

Also, did people really expect to be able to find a parking spot on Rafter Street so they could drive right to the door of whatever shop they wanted to go to? You can walk to Rafter Street in less than a minute from the old Dunnes Stores car park, or in less than five minutes from either the new Dunnes car park, the Abbey Square car park, or the one opposite Pettitt's. Are people that lazy that they wouldn't walk five minutes if the shops and other businesses there are attractive enough?

There is no comparison between Wexford main Street and Rafter Street . There are dozens of shops and chainstores in that one street and parking is convenient at several places just off the main street. It is also fairly level and easy for older people, those with pushchairs , shopping and young children or those with disabilities to navigate.
    Enniscorthy's business streets are steep and hilly with closed shops everywhere.

I think you're agreeing with me as well as disagreeing, even if you might not realise.

The point is that if shops and other businesses are attractive enough, then people will go there. As you point out, Wexford has lots of attractive places. Enniscorthy town centre doesn't have that many, and you can't blame that 100% on the fact that you can't drive along one street there, particularly when it's just a short street anyway.

I think you're agreeing with me as well as disagreeing, even if you might not realise.

The point is that if shops and other businesses are attractive enough, then people will go there. As you point out, Wexford has lots of attractive places. Enniscorthy town centre doesn't have that many, and you can't blame that 100% on the fact that you can't drive along one street there, particularly when it's just a short street anyway.

I'm not really suggesting people are so lazy they won't walk from Dunnes, but my point is that getting around the town is a painstaking experience at the best of times, I'm not sure adding further pedestrianisation to it is the way forward.

I love pedestrianisation and its often a great asset to a town or city, but an already struggling town doesn't need more barriers to getting people in to it, especially with 2 much better shopping town 15-20 minutes away.

Are you logged in under two different names?

Are you logged in under two different names?

??

• Advertisement

I replied to a post by paulaa, but then PhilOssophy came back a few minutes later with what looked like a direct reply to my reply, if you know what I mean.

Apologies if I picked things up wrongly. Just seemed a bit odd.

Anyway, think PhilOssophy hits the nail on the head up there as well. Enniscorthy's biggest problem is not the pedestrianisation of Rafter Street or anywhere else. It's simply that both Gorey and Wexford are much more attractive towns for many people, for many reasons, and it'll take much more than whether or not cars are allowed on certain Enniscorthy streets to change that.

Advertisement