Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is this all going to cost and who will pay for it ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

purifol0 wrote: »
    "The establishment will first shore itself up, limiting the impact of austerity measures to itself and its outer defences, this will be widely supported by RTÉ and academics on the State payroll.

Public Sector pay and contracts will be ringfenced even if subject to wage cuts. There will be no reform of existing contracts, the overarching public good provisions in the Constitution already deployed in the crisis, will wither in this space because of Deep State power."

www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/analysis/eddie-hobbs-fasten-your-seatbelt-the-worst-is-yet-to-come-993618.html

That's wot Ed reckons will happen over here. Probably cos its what happened 10 year ago in the last recession.

Here take a gander: paybill-changes.png

For context this graph shows that even after "savage cuts" the public sector and wanker bankers actually made more money (and received increments as per their pay scales) the year after the crash, while the entire private sector saw take home pay slashed. Not shown is the private sector job losses, but I can give you the total pubSec job losses right now: ZERO.

Will history repeat?

It will only repeat if we allow it to

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

pure.conya wrote: »
    It will only repeat if we allow it to

hopefully we learn to cut spending and keep it cut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

"The establishment will first shore itself up, limiting the impact of austerity measures to itself and its outer defences, this will be widely supported by RTÉ and academics on the State payroll.

Public Sector pay and contracts will be ringfenced even if subject to wage cuts. There will be no reform of existing contracts, the overarching public good provisions in the Constitution already deployed in the crisis, will wither in this space because of Deep State power."

www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/analysis/eddie-hobbs-fasten-your-seatbelt-the-worst-is-yet-to-come-993618.html

That's wot Ed reckons will happen over here. Probably cos its what happened 10 year ago in the last recession.

Here take a gander: paybill-changes.png

For context this graph shows that even after "savage cuts" the public sector and wanker bankers actually made more money (and received increments as per their pay scales) the year after the crash, while the entire private sector saw take home pay slashed. Not shown is the private sector job losses, but I can give you the total pubSec job losses right now: ZERO.

Will history repeat?

I'm in the public sector myself and I'm hedging my bets I'll be on a 3 day week.
    It's the only way for the present circumstances, and I'm on the lower end of the scale.
    I'd be in the forestry and environmental side of it.
    Looking after parklands etc.

I'd seriously have no issue with a 3 day week.
    It should be right across the board including CEOs etc

Or else put it at a cut off point at 30,000 all inclusive manager's, supervisor s and the guy working as a porter on maybe 40,000 at the top of his pay scale.
    There's a lot of people well below 30,000 in the public sector.

Probably a 3 day week will be fairer.

But more than likely the CEOs will hold onto their cushy number's and try to Shaft all around them.

Especially in the semi state's where there's a new regime of bringing in CEOs from other multinationals on a two or 3 year contract and fluff jobs at huge wages and trying to run a small company which is so top heavy that it's putting the company under strains.

Not mentioning any companies here, but it's well known in the sector.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

KyussB wrote: »
    Government finances don't work like household finances. States roll over their debts forever - and let GDP growth shrink the Public Debt vs GDP ratio.
    You might think that, but there are plenty of examples where that did not work (in the case of Argentina a few times)

We have been very fortunate in recent times with abnormally low interest rates. Neither you nor I, nor anyone else, knows if that is sustainable for the long term. I remember very well the days of rampant inflation. I remember my mortgage rate heading above single digits

Some will claim it will never happen again, but that was only 30 years ago.

The difference this time is the whole World is in the same boat, and how it drags itself out of this remains to be seen. However piling all the responsibility onto future generations is, in my view, totally reprehensible. Who will pay for the next time something like this happens? Shall we put our great grandchildren into hock?

GDP growth? Where will this come from? It took the World decades to get over WWII. Plenty of austerity followed and that's what we face now whatever your ideological leanings are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Beasty wrote: »
    You might think that, but there are plenty of examples where that did not work (in the case of Argentina a few times)

We have been very fortunate in recent times with abnormally low interest rates. Neither you nor I, nor anyone else, knows if that is sustainable for the long term. I remember very well the days of rampant inflation. I remember my mortgage rate heading above single digits

ok, boomer.

Some will claim it will never happen again, but that was only 30 years ago.

The difference this time is the whole World is in the same boat, and how it drags itself out of this remains to be seen. However piling all the responsibility onto future generations is, in my view, totally reprehensible. Who will pay for the next time something like this happens? Shall we put our great grandchildren into hock?

it won't happen again. Not without massive inflation. The reason for the increases in interest rates then were government or central bank action to reign in high inflation; which was itself caused by wages increasing at the same rate or higher than inflation. This caused a circular inflationary spiral. With the unions tamed that wont happen again. We also have an aging population in the West, with older people on reduced income relative to younger people. This is a long term anti-inflationary secular trend.
    GDP growth? Where will this come from? It took the World decades to get over WWII. Plenty of austerity followed and that's what we face now whatever your ideological leanings are.

if you dont think theres any hope of GDP improvement then we might as well write off the debt now.

You are, of course, wrong about GDP not increasing after WWII. By the 50s people were richer than they ever were, by the 60s the West was in an age of prosperity.

• Advertisement

hopefully we learn to cut spending and keep it cut.

That would be a splendid idea going into a deflationary cycle. We should also cut welfare payments, and so on, particularly with 20% of people likely to be unemployed for a long time.

Increase taxes and do everything else we can think of to massively reduce GDP as aggregate demand falls off the cliff. This is totally sane.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

No idea how much it will cost. Its probably beyond figures i can comprehend. Who will pay probably the civil servants nurses etc working right now. CUTS.

In all of this cry for funding I see little or no demands for the high rates of taxes on the wealthy ( I mean the real wealthy, top 0.1%) which were common during and post war. Nor a wealth tax. We should definitely throw the low level civil servants to the wolves though.

No idea how much it will cost. Its probably beyond figures i can comprehend. Who will pay probably the civil servants nurses etc working right now. CUTS.

That's what the right wingers on here are demanding alright. Crush the public sector unions etc. etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Danno wrote: »
    And where will that €1.5Tn go to?

I can tell you where it won't go, that is straight into workers pockets.

The EU will insist that the banks "distribute" it making sure they get 4% to 7% markup on it.

We all will pay it back via "Carbon Taxes"

Mark my words.

The EU response is not 1.5 trn.

It is 500bn.

https://www.rte.ie/news/europe/2020/0409/1129708-covid-19-plan/

(1) The EU's bailout fund, the European Stability Mechanism will make €240 billion available in emergency credit lines. The money should go towards health spending and the facility will come to an end when the crisis is over.

This is loans to countries, with light conditions attached.

(2) The European Investment Bank will make €25 billion available, leveraged to up to €200 billion, for the corporate sector, which has faced a sudden economic slump.

This is loans from the EU bank, the EIB, to companies.

(3) A further €100bn will be made available by the European Commission to help companies retain workers so that exporters can rebound once the pandemic passes.

These loans are for work/wage subsidy schemes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭purifol0

nthclare wrote: »
    I'm in the public sector myself and I'm hedging my bets I'll be on a 3 day week.
    It's the only way for the present circumstances, and I'm on the lower end of the scale.
    I'd be in the forestry and environmental side of it.
    Looking after parklands etc.

I'd seriously have no issue with a 3 day week.
    It should be right across the board including CEOs etc

Or else put it at a cut off point at 30,000 all inclusive manager's, supervisor s and the guy working as a porter on maybe 40,000 at the top of his pay scale.
    There's a lot of people well below 30,000 in the public sector.

Probably a 3 day week will be fairer.

But more than likely the CEOs will hold onto their cushy number's and try to Shaft all around them.

Especially in the semi state's where there's a new regime of bringing in CEOs from other multinationals on a two or 3 year contract and fluff jobs at huge wages and trying to run a small company which is so top heavy that it's putting the company under strains.

Not mentioning any companies here, but it's well known in the sector.

Ah look the public sector is massive. Far far far too big for a tiny country with a small population. It employs almost 400,000 people! Many doing nothing useful at all. As soon as new payscales are announced we will see a huge amount of early retirements. And like the last time this happened, the desk jobs werent replaced because "the work" they did didnt matter one iota. They were killing time, but managers didnt care because the more employees they manage, the more power they have and the more they get to compare themselves to private sector counterparts who manage the same amount.

I mean cmon the fat at the top obviously needs to be cut, but you can go into a driving license centre today and watch the 20 nothing year old clerks physically POST documents to Cork because they dont "do" email.

The PS has yet to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century, and by that I mean efficient use of IT to remove the need for uneccessary and unskilled labour. That means that state could quite easily shed a huge amount of workers, young ones that can either find private employment (good luck finding a clerical position in the private sector) or emmigrate.

Since no one leaves the public sector its just become a burgeoning liability and even a 3 day week wont plug the gap.

I mean no offence to you at all btw, but good God has this problem been in the works since Bertie skyrocketed PS pay before the last crash. And it wouldnt even be so mich of a pain point if the public actually got some use out of all the money we are taxed to fund the PS.

In the last two weeks ive seen my friends lose their jobs completely (construction) and a family member put on 4 day weeks thus negating the raise that they had just fought for just months before. Meanwhile the entire PS is on full pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

FVP3 wrote: »
    That's what the right wingers on here are demanding alright. Crush the public sector unions etc. etc. etc.

Of course. Public sector spending is out of control. There is no return on the money spent. Productivity and efficiency targets don't exist.

Privatise everything. Run for profit. Competition breeds innovation.
    Take the climate crisis for example. Once it becomes profitable to go green the private sector will invest and develop technology to reach that goal.
    If left to governments like everything else it turns into a public tax black hole. It's a step backwards.

Take NASA (gov funded) v Space X (privately owned Musk)
    Space X will soon be in a position to launch into space at 1% of what NASA spends. Tax payers money

touts wrote: »
    No way Germany will let the ECB print money. Their Pension and investment funds can make too much profit off this.

I don't know what you mean by "print money" exactly?

Please note that the ECB has already been engaged in QE asset purchases since 2014.

More or less very month since 2014 the ECB has been creating new money to buy assets.

Here are the details:

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/mopo/implement/omt/html/index.en.html

In all of this cry for funding I see little or no demands for the high rates of taxes on the wealthy ( I mean the real wealthy, top 0.1%) which were common during and post war. Nor a wealth tax. We should definitely throw the low level civil servants to the wolves though.

Civil servant union heads advocate voting for FF and FG. Private sector voters went for SF and smaller parties. Wonder why that is?

As for wealth tax HELLL YES. We need a Vacant Property Tax, a land hoarding tax. We needed one before this crisis anyway. But FG wouldnt do it, and I doubt FF would either.

MadYaker wrote: »
    This is probably what will happen

Note that QE is already happening.

The ECB have been creating new money since 2014.

They use the new money to buy financial assets, mainly Govt bonds

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/mopo/implement/omt/html/index.en.html

APP net purchases, by programme
    Between October 2014 and December 2018 the Eurosystem conducted net purchases of securities under one or more of the asset purchase programmes. During the net asset purchase phase, monthly purchase pace averaged:

€60 billion from March 2015 to March 2016
    €80 billion from April 2016 to March 2017
    €60 billion from April 2017 to December 2017
    €30 billion from January 2018 to September 2018
    €15 billion from October 2018 to December 2018

As usual on this site this has become a public sector and welfare bashing thread. The funny thing about these guys is that if they strayed from their bedrooms to start a political party it would presumably get 0.01% of the vote, up from the 0% that economic philosophy gets now.

Besides, all that it is yesterday's news. The Tories are manning the printing presses, as are the Republicans in the US, it's hardly going to see a rise in a pro austerity right wing party in this largely left wing( economically speaking) damp island.

Nobody has mentioned helicopter money. I'm not totally convinced by MMT etc but a short period of helicopter money might make sense.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Of course. Public sector spending is out of control. There is no return on the money spent. Productivity and efficiency targets don't exist.

Take the climate crisis for example. Once it becomes profitable to go green the private sector will invest and develop technology to reach that goal.
    If left to governments like everything else it turns into a public tax black hole. It's a step backwards

Correct. The best argument against paying tax is simply pointing out where the govt spend it. When the public cannot access the services they pay for its pretty galling. Think of the money sank into the HSE yet appoinments take years. Why? Because the staff only work office hours and the entire budget is taken up on payroll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

L1011 wrote: »
    Plenty of countries have welfare debit cards. People still get smokes/drink/drugs with them in every single one of them.

Dodgy retailers, or buy stuff to sell.

At least these countries make the Dole rates proportional to contributions, and also force long time 'seekers' to do a community work.

If left to governments like everything else it turns into a public tax black hole. It's a step backwards

A I said there is exactly 0% support for these policies in Ireland, or any where. We have to deal with workable solutions not the fantasies of internet warriors.

( And for green solutions clearly there would be no technological improvements for the private sector to capitalise on were it not for government financed science).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

As usual on this site this has become a public sector and welfare bashing thread. The funny thing about these guys is that if they strayed from their bedrooms to start a political party it would presumably get 0.01% of the vote, up from the 0% that economic philosophy gets now.

Besides, all that it is yesterday's news. The Tories are manning the printing presses, as are the Republicans in the US, it's hardly going to see a rise in a pro austerity right wing party in this largely left wing( economically speaking) damp island.

Nobody has mentioned helicopter money. I'm not totally convinced by MMT etc but a short period of helicopter money might make sense.

cut welfare for the perpetual wasters and increase it for recently unemployed, a mental concept that they employ in most other countries! If you think you owe the wasters a good standard of living, can I cut my tax and you can give them more of yours?

• Advertisement

Correct. The best argument against paying tax is simply pointing out where the govt spend it. When the public cannot access the services they pay for its pretty galling. Think of the money sank into the HSE yet appoinments take years. Why? Because the staff only work office hours and the entire budget is taken up on payroll.

I could give you an endless amount of money but if you are wasting it then it's pointless. I legally have to keep giving you the money (tax) and you are under no real obligation to spend it frugally. It's madness.
    You can also decide that I have to give you more every year. There is nothing I can do about it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭rob316

1% covid levy on absolutely everyone in employment or receipt of social welfare. I know that will never fly with the sw crowd but tough.
    Review in each budget.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    cut welfare for the perpetual wasters and increase it for recently unemployed, a mential concept that they employ in most other countries!

Thats a good idea, but a far cry from dismantling the entire public service. I would like the 70% of income to be permanent, and I don't think it would cost that much either, if limited to 6 months or so. Most people would try get a job in that time.
    If you think you owe the wasters a good standard of living, can I cut my tax and you can give them more of yours?

No because that is not how tax works. Any chance you would even think of taxing the rich, no?

rob316 wrote: »
    1% covid levy on absolutely everyone in employment or receipt of social welfare. I know that will never fly with the sw crowd but tough.
    Review in each budget.

How about anyone who received the payment from the government pays it back over time.

It's linked to pps numbers. Tax credits can be adjusted.

If the CB handed newly-created money out to households, what would be the corresponding asset on the CB balance sheet?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭rob316

How about anyone who received the payment from the government pays it back over time.

How is it fair you have to pay back your entire income because you lost your job through no fault of your own? A levy on everyone is the best way.

You can also decide that I have to give you more every year. There is nothing I can do about it

Nothing you can do about it? This is a democracy.

You could leave your bedroom and set up the Irish Libertarian Party ( there isn't one, I checked), with your friend Gavin the other libertarian Irish guy.

The great thing about a party of that size is that the Ard Fheis can be held in the smallest smug of your local pub ( when restrictions are lifted of course) and you can a bring a cat to swing, and have plenty of room to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

If left to governments like everything else it turns into a public tax black hole. It's a step backwards.

Take NASA (gov funded) v Space X (privately owned Musk)
    Space X will soon be in a position to launch into space at 1% of what NASA spends. Tax payers money

This is the dumbest post in the whole thread and it's said with the confidence only a complete lunatic could display.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Thats a good idea, but a far cry from dismantling the entire public service. I would like the 70% of income to be permanent, and I don't think it would cost that much either, if limited to 6 months or so. Most people would try get a job in that time.

yeah and if we had a proper welfare system, this would have been in place already , so many countries doing along lines of wha you propose for this crisis and I am sure, many already have such a system in place...

No because that is not how tax works. Any chance you would even think of taxing the rich, no?

of course tax the rich more. The piss taking goes on right at the top and right at the bottom for the most part. Its easier to control it at the bottom though, of course it wouldnt be populist, so non of them would touch it with a barge poll! they need to get serious on land hoarding though etc, a proper site valuation tax, for a start!

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    How is it fair you have to pay back your entire income because you lost your job through no fault of your own? A levy on everyone is the best way.

How fair is it that I have to pay because someone else lost their job through no fault of my own.
    If you received money you pay it back.
    I'm only working 2 or 3 days a week myself and getting the payment through work. Iv no problem paying it back over time. I don't expect someone whos been working from home and paying PAYE all along to also pay for me.

Advertisement