Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

pure.conya wrote: »
    You're already off your rocker if you think this is going to go on so long

I am very worried about this . Kids are going nuts and getting aggressive, and parents are like shells of their former selves they can no longer do anything

Whats your view on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

OK, now I’m really confused: The Promenade footpath and the City Council controlled beaches were closed last Saturday.

Is the actual Promenade road closing today? I don’t see any notice on the Council website about March 31 closures. Why would they close the road to vehicular and cycle traffic? Bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭zell12

OK, now I’m really confused: The Promenade footpath and the City Council controlled beaches were closed last Saturday.
    Is the actual Promenade road closing today? I don’t see any notice on the Council website about March 31 closures. Why would they close the road to vehicular and cycle traffic? Bizarre.
    There's a Promenade road :confused::confused:

zell12 wrote: »
    There's a Promenade road :confused::confused:

Yes, Salthill Road Upper, while Dr Colohan Road is commonly referred to as Seapoint Promenade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

If ya live near the prom ya can go on it. See plenty of runeers and cyclists on it earlier. It made me sad

If ya live near the prom ya can go on it. See plenty of runeers and cyclists on it earlier. It made me sad

You can’t. According to the guard I was talking to on Sunday lunchtime when he stopped me in my car. The walkway and beaches are closed, full stop. He said walk the far side of the road!

You can’t. According to the guard I was talking to on Sunday lunchtime when he stopped me in my car. The walkway and beaches are closed, full stop. He said walk the far side of the road!

Plenty on the beach aswell, not a garda in sight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Plenty on the beach aswell, not a garda in sight

I think the way they have done it is they don't want you driving to the prom and going for a walk. There are no barriers just the light up signs. If you are walking cycling or running along the prom be it on the left right centre or on the road and you are within 2k or.your house you are grand.
    Don't drive from the far side of town and go for a walk. You have to be doing any exercise within 2k of your home. Drove down a few times the last few days and there are people walking and running no problem. Very few cars parked so most are walking to it or living nearby , well supposed to be anyways hopefully. It's very quiet so their intentions are working to keep numbers low. Driving through knocknacarra and there are alot more walkers than usual but loads of room to move around . I can only assume these would normally have gone to the prom for a walk but are now staying within their 2km zone. This site is handy if you need help. https://2kmfromhome.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

I cycled past today as its within my 2KM radius & there were people cycling & walking on the prom & out to the lighthouse, also a Garda jeep/SUV passed by at the closed car park at Killorans & kept on driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Any chance the down time could be used to fix the prom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Laviski

saabsaab wrote: »
    Any chance the down time could be used to fix the prom?

still a nice amount making a car journey there today for a walk. No where near norms, but realistically if your within 2 kms why do you need to drive down and park?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

youngrun wrote: »
    I am very worried about this . Kids are going nuts and getting aggressive, and parents are like shells of their former selves they can no longer do anything

Whats your view on it?

Welcome to the real world, some people aren't cut out for it without the endless run on the hamster wheel and the premiership, things could get very ugly before they get better, but the absolute worst thing that can happen is we all just go right back to all our old habits immediately

pure.conya wrote: »
    Welcome to the real world, some people aren't cut out for it without the endless run on the hamster wheel and the premiership, things could get very ugly before they get better, but the absolute worst thing that can happen is we all just go right back to all our old habits immediately

Yep, things can turn very quickly. Look at how the toilet paper thing took off for no reason people started buying it by the dozen.
    Might be time soon to put a few army vehicles on the street corners to preempt any trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Yep, things can turn very quickly. Look at how the toilet paper thing took off for no reason people started buying it by the dozen.
    Might be time soon to put a few army vehicles on the street corners to preempt any trouble.
    No, that would only escalate trouble and put members of our defence forces, who themselves have families to protect, at greater risk.

flazio wrote: »
    No, that would only escalate trouble and put members of our defence forces, who themselves have families to protect, at greater risk.

How would it escalate trouble? Only a fool would tackle a soldier with a bayonet in an armoured vehicle! They also have hazmat suits, a great reminder to those who forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Psychlops wrote: »

Was on the way, this is going to last longer than people expect. I'd say 'on' and 'off' until there is an effect treatment or a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

It's got the potential to be a lot more serious than a run on toilet roll, the mental stability of the citizens and the security of the state is at risk right now, so far we've done exceptionally well, but as you said things can turn very quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Calm down. A lot of other places in the world have managed restrictions for much longer than we have.

They've been softening us up for a few days about extending the restrictions. Perhaps another announcement tonight?

I'd say restrictions will be extended for another month at least.
    Schools won't be back till September

• Advertisement

Molly in the morning was saying GardaI were patrolling the prom yesterday and will be today telling people to get off it! Fair enough if your travelling by car etc to salthill but what if ya living within the 2km zone

• Registered Users Posts: 13 newdad20

Fair enough if your travelling by car etc to salthill but what if ya living within the 2km zone

I think it's meant to be "closed" for all - same as Silver Strand, Barna Woods etc.. A lot of these closures seem to be from the City Council rather than from Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Molly in the morning was saying GardaI were patrolling the prom yesterday and will be today telling people to get off it! Fair enough if your travelling by car etc to salthill but what if ya living within the 2km zone

Closed means closed.

Not closed (unless you live within 2km).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Closed means closed.

Not closed (unless you live within 2km).

So that means residents there cannot even leave their properties?

Was it this patrol? :D
    DdF2Om0XUAAwp5J?format=jpg&name=small

I haven’t seen any properties opening onto the prom, have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

I think by the prom they mean the wide pedestrian seafront walkway. The regular footpaths in the area are still accessible.

It makes it easier to police the tourist traffic but pushes locals onto tighter paths.

What lack of logic leads you to that daft conclusion? :rolleyes:

They can walk anywhere they like other than on the prom and within 2km from their home. It's not difficult and it doesn't require interpretation. It's literal and clear - the promenade is closed.

Was it this patrol? :D
    DdF2Om0XUAAwp5J?format=jpg&name=small

The sniffer dogs lol

• Advertisement

The sniffer dogs lol
    Should've said that was a garda promo photo from race week 2018

Should've said that was a garda promo photo from race week 2018

My money is on no. 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Laviski

ChewyLouie wrote: »

still too many, also if within 2km is there a need to bring car? lots of cars in that video. obviously no where near norm but still...

ChewyLouie wrote: »

Thanks for posting this photo clearly showing houses on the Prom.

There a good few more, including a home for some of the city's most disadvantaged residents, visible here:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2592917,-9.076695,3a,75y,293.44h,91.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3fBUAeskBMzn7kvTQNO45w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Let's be clear, "the prom" is not just a seaward side footpath between two roundabouts. It's a roadway and two footpaths, between Blackrock and Nimmo's pier.

'The Prom' is not a road.
    It is the seaward pedestrian walkway, benches and small greens.

To promenade is to walk, hence the name.

]

Let's be clear, "the prom" is not just a seaward side footpath between two roundabouts. It's a roadway and two footpaths, between Blackrock and Nimmo's pier.

Wrong, the prom is only the footpath along by the sea. Only the prom is closed not the road or the path on the other side close to leisureland/hotels etc.

So if someone is cycling along the road, they're not going along the prom? Yeah, right.

So if someone is cycling along the road, they're not going along the prom? Yeah, right.

Correct, they're cycling alongside the prom... not cycling on the prom (which is not permitted).

• Advertisement

Yes your are cycling on upper salthill road or the R336

Jesus wept :rolleyes:

promenade
    noun [ C ]
    UK /ˌprɒm.əˈnɑːd/ US /ˌprɑː.məˈneɪd/
    (informal prom)

a path for walking on, especially one built next to the sea:

We strolled along on the promenade eating ice creams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok folks, bring it back up. Too much quarrelling now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭topcat77

Disappointingly busy when I was cycling past today (work related). I don't like how Coco are exacerbating the situation by still serving takeaway coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

topcat77 wrote: »
    Disappointingly busy when I was cycling past today (work related). I don't like how Coco are exacerbating the situation by still serving takeaway coffee.

Drove by it today at around 3 or 4 and I was happy to see it was very quiet.... obviously wasn't so all day.
    A queue of people alright around Coco. They were closed I thought but back open again by the looks of it. Can't see how coffee is essential but there ya go. Personally I'll be doing a Da Roberta's on them too now. Won't be in there again after this all.blows over.

Drove by it today at around 3 or 4 and I was happy to see it was very quiet.... obviously wasn't so all day.
    A queue of people alright around Coco. They were closed I thought but back open again by the looks of it. Can't see how coffee is essential but there ya go. Personally I'll be doing a Da Roberta's on them too now. Won't be in there again after this all.blows over.

I wouldn’t have any issue with a place opening for take away coffee, plenty of people still out and about for work/essential reasons. and need places open. Wouldn’t see it as any different to any takeaway food place being open.

I’ve a family member who is a health care worker (in the community) and they appreciate being able to pick up coffees during the day etc.

Solving people walking the prom is easy, guards or army just need to patrol it hand out large fines/night in a cell for a few people to make an example and people will stop when the word gets out.

• Advertisement

Is the Centra around the corner still open? Are they serving coffee? What's the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Is the Centra around the corner still open? Are they serving coffee? What's the difference?

They certainly are open and serving coffee and tea and deli food, the Government never said they were closing takeaways just sit down restaurants can't understand why Supermacs and Mc Donalds closed their takeaways surprised at the fuss about Coco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Storm 10 wrote: »
    surprised at the fuss about Coco

If its unnecessarily causing people to crowd at the store and bringing people to the prom then it's an issue. It's not an essential service by any means so if it's helping to spread the virus then it should be closed.

If on the other hand they have found a way to avoid crowds gathering then brilliant but people should be avoiding these types of places for their own good.

As for centra around the corner, yes it sells coffee but also sells a range of essential foods and house hold goods so no comparison.

If its unnecessarily causing people to crowd at the store and bringing people to the prom then it's an issue. It's not an essential service by any means so if it's helping to spread the virus then it should be closed.

If on the other hand they have found a way to avoid crowds gathering then brilliant but people should be avoiding these types of places for their own good.

As for centra around the corner, yes it sells coffee but also sells a range of essential foods and house hold goods so no comparison.

Have you gone down to look at the coffee shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Have you gone down to look at the coffee shop?

Its outside my 2km radius so that would be a no, why do you ask?

• Advertisement
Advertisement