Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Everyone knows it's a quote. I have no idea who said it first.

Everyone knows to stay at home aswell but look what’s happening

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Nua

One solution.
    Just widen the footpath by removing the seaside car parking along the length of the prom or else just close the road so that have even a wider footpath.

I think this is a great idea - would stop the ice cream & coffee vans too, email your councillors before they just close the car parks & eejits will park on the grass/yellow lines/pedestrian crossings like any busy sunny summer's day

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭sasal

Your grandparents were asked to go to war.

You are being asked to sit on your sofa.

You CAN do this, honest.

Odd quote to use in a traditionally neutral country.
    Can we not just ask people to stay in without using blitz spirit nonsense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

City Council...
    To support #SocialDistancing & reduce visitor numbers to the area, the main Salthill carpark on the Prom is now closed and Toft Park carpark will close on Tuesday.
    #COVIDー19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Queue everyone parking on double yellows and in estates near the Prom...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Some activity on the prom. Is it closed or being refurbished?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

youngrun wrote: »
    I disagree I dont think anyones long term health is helped by being locked down. What about all the mind your mental health talk wheres that gone.

Whats the point of being alive if you are locked inside for months or years ??

I dont see a future for people in that

No-one is going to be locked in for years, but even if they were I think the vast majority of people would prefer to stay alive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Mr Man wrote: »
    No-one is going to be locked in for years, but even if they were I think the vast majority of people would prefer to stay alive.

How do you know it wont go on ? No vaccine likely for 18 months so quite likely to be a long term . Will people really like to stay in lockdown that long ?

I cant see anything other than doom ahead and a pointless existence

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

youngrun wrote: »
    How do you know it wont go on ? No vaccine likely for 18 months so quite likely to be a long term . Will people really like to stay in lockdown that long ?

I cant see anything other than doom ahead and a pointless existence

You're already off your rocker if you think this is going to go on so long

• Advertisement

pure.conya wrote: »

How long is your prediction?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Sorry to drag the topic back to salthill prom but has anyone heard exactly how much of it is closed? Is it from Blackrock to near the aquarium or does it extend all the way to the Claddagh? The signage isn't very clear on what is allowed and what isn't really. The electronic sign saying prom closed is near Darcy Roundabout which suggests to me that it is from there towards Blackrock. I'm not trying to get around the closure or anything, just that I live near the aquarium and want to know where I can go and abide by restrictions whilst still being able to exercise.

I was on the phone to the city council and the local garda station who each indicated that the other would be where to find exact information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Barney92 wrote: »
    Sorry to drag the topic back to salthill prom but has anyone heard exactly how much of it is closed? Is it from Blackrock to near the aquarium or does it extend all the way to the Claddagh? The signage isn't very clear on what is allowed and what isn't really. The electronic sign saying prom closed is near Darcy Roundabout which suggests to me that it is from there towards Blackrock. I'm not trying to get around the closure or anything, just that I live near the aquarium and want to know where I can go and abide by restrictions whilst still being able to exercise.

I was on the phone to the city council and the local garda station who each indicated that the other would be where to find exact information.

There are no signs or blockages on Dr Colaghan Rd(sp)/Grattan Rd last night, there were ppl walking in the park and parking at the aquarium.

From what we could figure out, its from the side of seapoint to the diving boards,

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,552 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The entire Prom, associated walkways and beaches all along are closed.
    https://twitter.com/GalwayCityCo/status/1243669887525908480?s=20

They can't close the Prom anyway, like Silverstrand
    EUSfE7pXsAI2TuQ?format=jpg&name=360x360

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Cheers for that zell, I saw that but what is the entire prom is what I'm trying to clarify. Because when onto the city council they suggested that it could be either all the way to the claddagh or from around the aquarium to the diving area.

In practice, it's to stop people driving to the Prom, sure just walk along anyway within 2km of home of course, and walkers keep to the right!

And The Prom goes South Park-Blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ratracer

zell12 wrote: »
    In practice, it's to stop people driving to the Prom, sure just walk along anyway within 2km of home of course, and walkers keep to the right!

And The Prom goes from South Park-Blackrock

Why don’t people stay to the left, the same side as we drive? Would make more sense?

ratracer wrote: »
    Why don’t people stay to the left, the same side as we drive? Would make more sense?
    Well no, because we drive on left, walkers face oncoming traffic so they can be blinded by fog lights and the driver can see the face of the person they are about to hit

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Posts moved from general covid thread to this because they deal with prom and there is already a prom thread on the first page.

Please keep this thread for the prom, and the general COVID thread for everything else.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

pure.conya wrote: »

I am very worried about this . Kids are going nuts and getting aggressive, and parents are like shells of their former selves they can no longer do anything

Whats your view on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

OK, now I’m really confused: The Promenade footpath and the City Council controlled beaches were closed last Saturday.

Is the actual Promenade road closing today? I don’t see any notice on the Council website about March 31 closures. Why would they close the road to vehicular and cycle traffic? Bizarre.

OK, now I’m really confused: The Promenade footpath and the City Council controlled beaches were closed last Saturday.
    Is the actual Promenade road closing today? I don’t see any notice on the Council website about March 31 closures. Why would they close the road to vehicular and cycle traffic? Bizarre.
    There's a Promenade road :confused::confused:

zell12 wrote: »
    There's a Promenade road :confused::confused:

Yes, Salthill Road Upper, while Dr Colohan Road is commonly referred to as Seapoint Promenade.

If ya live near the prom ya can go on it. See plenty of runeers and cyclists on it earlier. It made me sad

If ya live near the prom ya can go on it. See plenty of runeers and cyclists on it earlier. It made me sad

You can’t. According to the guard I was talking to on Sunday lunchtime when he stopped me in my car. The walkway and beaches are closed, full stop. He said walk the far side of the road!

You can’t. According to the guard I was talking to on Sunday lunchtime when he stopped me in my car. The walkway and beaches are closed, full stop. He said walk the far side of the road!

Plenty on the beach aswell, not a garda in sight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Plenty on the beach aswell, not a garda in sight

I think the way they have done it is they don't want you driving to the prom and going for a walk. There are no barriers just the light up signs. If you are walking cycling or running along the prom be it on the left right centre or on the road and you are within 2k or.your house you are grand.
    Don't drive from the far side of town and go for a walk. You have to be doing any exercise within 2k of your home. Drove down a few times the last few days and there are people walking and running no problem. Very few cars parked so most are walking to it or living nearby , well supposed to be anyways hopefully. It's very quiet so their intentions are working to keep numbers low. Driving through knocknacarra and there are alot more walkers than usual but loads of room to move around . I can only assume these would normally have gone to the prom for a walk but are now staying within their 2km zone. This site is handy if you need help. https://2kmfromhome.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Psychlops

I cycled past today as its within my 2KM radius & there were people cycling & walking on the prom & out to the lighthouse, also a Garda jeep/SUV passed by at the closed car park at Killorans & kept on driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Any chance the down time could be used to fix the prom?

Advertisement