Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

*sigh*

My mental health has been getting better over the last week. So went for a run this evening and nearly ran into someone coming the other way from around the corner. Still managed to dodge and give about 5 feet before rejoining the path. But if he has teh virus I just breathed in his exhalation.

Another week of anxiety beckons. Think I'll just not go outside until this is over.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,264 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Clegg wrote: »
    *sigh*

My mental health has been getting better over the last week. So went for a run this evening and nearly ran into someone coming the other way from around the corner. Still managed to dodge and give about 5 feet before rejoining the path. But if he has teh virus I just breathed in his exhalation.

Another week of anxiety beckons. Think I'll just not go outside until this is over.

To be honest, we're a week into a hard lockdown, and three weeks into social isolation...
    If the other person was out running its very very unlikely they would have been carrying the virus.

Put on top of that the briefness of the interaction.. And the fact there was no contact.

And put on top of that again the fact that there is no concrete evidence that the disease is air borne through respiration. Some experiments have shown that it can be, under some circumstances of heat and humidity, in an indoor situation.

In brief, youre grand

sydthebeat wrote: »
    To be honest, we're a week into a hard lockdown, and three weeks into social isolation...
    If the other person was out running its very very unlikely they would have been carrying the virus.

Put on top of that the briefness of the interaction.. And the fact there was no contact.

And put on top of that again the fact that there is no concrete evidence that the disease is air borne through respiration. Some experiments have shown that it can be, under some circumstances of heat and humidity, in an indoor situation.

In brief, youre grand
    Thanks. I was thinking the very same thing. But when my anxiety ratchets up I can't process properly. And I know I'll still be worrying about this for a while regardless. When these restrictions are relaxed I'm going to have to speak to someone about all this.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,264 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thanks. I was thinking the very same thing. But when my anxiety ratchets up I can't process properly. And I know I'll still be worrying about this for a while regardless. When these restrictions are relaxed I'm going to have to speak to someone about all this.

Dr Eddie Murphy does a face book session every so often, and they are available there on play back.... Might be worth a watch just for some peace of mind.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's an interesting thread. If you removed the 10% of posters who are either trolling or have an agenda it would be quite informative.

True, it's the ratio of noise that's a pain

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Clegg do you have private health insurance if you dont mind me asking?

Stheno wrote: »
    Clegg do you have private health insurance if you dont mind me asking?

Yep

Yep

If you dont mind me suggesting it check your providers website. I'm with Irish Life and they always had the video/phone doctor service, but they now have mental health professionals you can book appointments with by phone specifically around anxiety related to this crappy virus

And as others have said before dont be afraid to post on here. I was out grocery shopping last Monday and a teenage kid with his mother accidentally bumped into me (I think he may have had a disability of some sort) I literally jumped back and spent a few minutes being a bit panicked, it's natural at the moment

Try not to let it overwhelm you

Take care:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Clegg, want to do an experiment?

The autonomic stress system works like a ying and yang - sympathetics amp you up, parasympathetics chill you out.

According to this study, acclimatising to cold temperature, 2 hours a day for 2 weeks, led to prolonged increased in parasympathetic activity (i.e., the result you want if your anxious).

In this study the "cold" condition was 10C, so maybe a shorter, colder daily exposure might do the trick?

What do you say - cold shower every day for 10 mins, and report back how it affects your anxiety levels?

More here on other ways to increase parasympathetic activity (mediated via the vagus nerve); not surprisingly, deep slow breathing is another way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The amount of this stuff going around is hilarious. There was one circulating that the clap for the nurses and front liners at 8pm most nights was to allow the new 5g masts they were putting up to 'emit a loud signal as part of their setup' and that the government was pushing the clap thing to cover the sound up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I've come to the conclusion that there is a minority of ppl in the Covid thread who are deliberately trying to spread fear and worry in others.

We know the testing numbers aren't high enough which is a problem. The number of ppl with the virus is higher than the reported figure. But they're completely ignoring the effects of this social distancing/quarantine in mitigating the spread.

There are some people who manage their anxiety by projecting it on to others. The internet is full of them at the moment, best to be put on ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Dr Eddie Murphy does a face book session every so often, and they are available there on play back.... Might be worth a watch just for some peace of mind.

I'm sorry but... Dr Eddie Murphy? :D

15639eb8d5e24d1eb4bf4e85871bf97d.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Clegg, want to do an experiment?

The autonomic stress system works like a ying and yang - sympathetics amp you up, parasympathetics chill you out.

According to this study, acclimatising to cold temperature, 2 hours a day for 2 weeks, led to prolonged increased in parasympathetic activity (i.e., the result you want if your anxious).

In this study the "cold" condition was 10C, so maybe a shorter, colder daily exposure might do the trick?

What do you say - cold shower every day for 10 mins, and report back how it affects your anxiety levels?

More here on other ways to increase parasympathetic activity (mediated via the vagus nerve); not surprisingly, deep slow breathing is another way.

Trust the Finns to suggest cold as the solution to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

mfceiling wrote: »
    Did any of you watch The Line of Duty?

Just started season 3 last night and i have to say it's very good.

Aaaaaand Netflix have taken it down. Brilliant.
    16 quid to watch the last 2 episodes on the sky store, plus 16 quid for series 4 and 16 quid for series 5.
    Thanks Netflix. Thanks a fùcking bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

mfceiling wrote: »
    Aaaaaand Netflix have taken it down. Brilliant.
    16 quid to watch the last 2 episodes on the sky store, plus 16 quid for series 4 and 16 quid for series 5.
    Thanks Netflix. Thanks a fùcking bunch.

Just go searching on the high seas, won't be hard to find at all. If you've any trouble, drop me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It's a combination of a lot of things. The most obvious factor is that when something is wrong or we perceive it as incorrect we naturally try and correct it and hence reply to a post.

That's exactly it - but the question is why? Why does it matter?
    In the current climate given how weaponized misinformation has become, and the damage it can do (Trump / Brexit) there is also an almost civic sense motivating the replies in the hope that the rot can be slowed or stopped.

True, but this impulse long preceded the misinformation age of the last few years. Know Your Meme dates that "SOMEONE ON THE INTERNET IS WRONG" to 2012, for example.
    There is an information war being waged and decency and common sense are losing badly.

Sure, nowadays, many might be considering the harm of misinformation when they see outright lies being spread, but the bulk of people jump in to all kinds of debates. Public consensus on the Kearney brothers probably won't impact too strongly on Western democracy as we know it, but damn it's hard to ignore the trolls.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You make a good point there Neil.

Covid 19 spreads through droplets in the air and our greatest ever player for catching things in the air is no longer getting game time.

Larmour has his fancy footwork to evade it but as a society we need the reassuring aerial ability of Kearney.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Neil3030 wrote: »

Sure, nowadays, many might be considering the harm of misinformation when they see outright lies being spread, but the bulk of people jump in to all kinds of debates. Public consensus on the Kearney brothers probably won't impact too strongly on Western democracy as we know it, but damn it's hard to ignore the trolls.

I heard Rob Kearney is not practising social distancing. The cad...

The Kearney's have to stay at home and clean constantly. They've quite literally never been happier.

• Advertisement

Hi lads. Thanks for your kind words yesterday. They helped set my mind at ease. I'll also take on board the suggestions give re: helping with anxiety.

Stheno wrote: »
    If you dont mind me suggesting it check your providers website. I'm with Irish Life and they always had the video/phone doctor service, but they now have mental health professionals you can book appointments with by phone specifically around anxiety related to this crappy virus

And as others have said before dont be afraid to post on here. I was out grocery shopping last Monday and a teenage kid with his mother accidentally bumped into me (I think he may have had a disability of some sort) I literally jumped back and spent a few minutes being a bit panicked, it's natural at the moment

Try not to let it overwhelm you

Take care:)

The above is an excellent suggestion and I'll look into it. I think my job also provides an out of hours helpline service run by a charity or health org. What you wrote brought that back to my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Queen's speech on now. RTE don't seem to be covering it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

y646iscyxvr21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭swiwi_

508439.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Why would they be??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bojo been brought into hospital 10 days after testing positive as apparently his symptoms have gotten worse.

I feel like this would be the perfect scenario for one of those curb your enthusiasm memes with all of his statements leading up to this

Bojo been brought into hospital 10 days after testing positive as apparently his symptoms have gotten worse.

I feel like this would be the perfect scenario for one of those curb your enthusiasm memes with all of his statements leading up to this

I'd worry it would spark mass panic in the UK if he dies

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

On a human level I really hope he is alright and also his pregnant partner is reportedly sick too.

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    On a human level I really hope he is alright and also his pregnant partner is reportedly sick too.

Same here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement