Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I get it that frustration will be boiling over. I'm experiencing it myself. But she's trying to convince me that we should be seeing each other as if its normal. I don't agree and because I'm not agreeing, I am to blame. I'm feeling emotionally blackmailed into going against my better judgement.

People in her work agree that we should be fine to see each other because we don't live with our parents. This is healthcare workers which blows my mind. Am I being far too cautious here? I thought the message was "Stay at home". I don't want an Italy situation here. If there a 1% chance of that, I will stay home seeing nobody for a month straight.

Another problem here is that I'm happy out isolating. I could spend a week in front of my computer and I'd only go a little crazy. She's a very social person who's effectively had her way of life taken away. She's the kind of person who would never be alone. It's only been a week and she's distraught. So it's much, much easier on me than her right now. She said this whole thing is convenient for me as I like some alone time.

Are you wfh?

I'd be concerned that she could get it and be asymptomatic, pass it to you and so on

It's a ****ty time for everyone I can understand she's going crazy but it's likely this will go on for some time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Bazzo wrote: »
    The girlfriend has heard through a friend who's an ER consultant down in London that Boris is on CPAP, which isn't quite a ventilator but not far off, and also explains why he's in ICU, the next step would be a ventilator.

That was confirmed on BBC this afternoon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

jacothelad wrote: »

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1247179426145730566?s=19

Not according to Dominic Rabb!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Drumpf is now going after WHO, right on cue. All the sycophants are also on cue, bot or otherwise, to spread the message on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

And has removed any oversight on the two trillion dollar funding for the Coronavirus bill.

Will Americans do anything about the GOP and their naked corruption? Will they ****e.

I wrote America off long ago, but sometimes the sheer barefaced cheek of now out in the open corruption there still surprises me.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,254 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Watching Up again here... The first ten minutes is the most perfect opening to a movie ever.... Gets me every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

jacothelad wrote: »

I didn't see if confirmed but I think almost every British media outlet suggested it as a likely scenario at some point today. Not a ventilator but certainly receiving respiratory support.

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you wfh?

I'd be concerned that she could get it and be asymptomatic, pass it to you and so on

It's a ****ty time for everyone I can understand she's going crazy but it's likely this will go on for some time

Yeah I wfh

And has removed any oversight on the two trillion dollar funding for the Coronavirus bill.

Will Americans do anything about the GOP and their naked corruption? Will they ****e.

I wrote America off long ago, but sometimes the sheer barefaced cheek of now out in the open corruption there still surprises me.

At what point do things kick off?

The news headlines are getting quite dramatic now.

Wisconsin. The Navy. Bailout Oversight. Insider trading.

And that's all on top of their covid-19 response and the increasing number of severe scandals associated with it.

Meanwhile people are stuck in their homes having to watch in horror as this unfolds.

Tinder box.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Tinder box - swipe until you find what looks like a suitable opponent and if you match head down to the gym and punch the head off one another.

I could see it working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Staggering. A dozen or more public transport staff in London have died to date.

https://twitter.com/jonworth/status/1247624846680510465?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

At what point do things kick off?

The news headlines are getting quite dramatic now.

Wisconsin. The Navy. Bailout Oversight. Insider trading.

And that's all on top of their covid-19 response and the increasing number of severe scandals associated with it.

Meanwhile people are stuck in their homes having to watch in horror as this unfolds.

Tinder box.

And he enjoys his best ratings ever as President. You get the politicians you deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

stephen_n wrote: »
    And he enjoys his best ratings ever as President. You get the politicians you deserve.

He's actually currently aggregated at 44.8% approval, down from 47.8% when he came into office.

You also need to look at that in context. All leaders get a bump during a crisis - e.g., Bush Jr got a 30% jump on 9/11, to a staggering 88.1% approval.

By contrast, Trump's jump was tiny; ~3% improvement since the outbreak of Covid, depending on when you start the clock. He also seems to have peaked a few days ago (45.8%) and is now on the decline.

Time will tell how much appetite the U.S. public have for name-calling and tantrums once they take the lead on the body count.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Being popular during a crisis is actually relatively easy.

"We're going to win"
    "Aren't our frontline staff brave"
    "We're giving everyone millions of euro"

We're seeing largely the same thing here - although I am beginning to suspect our government are actually making the correct decisions right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bernie dropped out of the race.

Trump vs Biden. Definitely going to be another 4 years.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,254 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bidens odds slightly shorthened at this news... from 5/4 to evens (trump at 10/11)

if he can keep that small middle ground voter on his side, as well as bringing the bernie fan along... he may have a chance

errlloyd wrote: »
    Being popular during a crisis is actually relatively easy.

"We're going to win"
    "Aren't our frontline staff brave"
    "We're giving everyone millions of euro"

We're seeing largely the same thing here - although I am beginning to suspect our government are actually making the correct decisions right now!

Indeed. As I posted before, he's getting an incredible amount of publicity and coverage at the moment in a time where any other candidate isn't able to make public appearances. The leader during any major national crisis sees a bump in their approval.

He could bring a gun to a press conference and threaten a journalist with it. It would not damage his approval rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

It's genuinely disturbing that it seems a very real danger that he'll be re-elected. The only honour he deserves is being the first human to be fired from a cannon into the sun, the absolute worst of us.

I was wondering why he'd randomly decided to sack another staffer on Friday. Turns out he was the watchdog for the distribution of the 2 trillion bailout package.

He wasn't left with much choice after the Super Tuesdays. He was comprehensively beaten. With the best will in the world, he could not make up the shortfall of over 300 delegates with the biggest states already done.

The issue is that his support are so entrenched in supporting him, a portion of them would happily sit back and allow Trump be elected than support Biden. It's Sanders or nothing in their mind.

It's curious given that Biden was a darling of social media 2 years ago with people calling for him to run. Reddit was inundated with Biden memes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

It's unbelievable..in a previous life, I lived & worked in Louisiana ....the absolute belief and pig headed trust in Trump just beggars belief...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Buer wrote: »
    He wasn't left with much choice after the Super Tuesdays. He was comprehensively beaten. With the best will in the world, he could not make up the shortfall of over 300 delegates with the biggest states already done.

The issue is that his support are so entrenched in supporting him, a portion of them would happily sit back and allow Trump be elected than support Biden. It's Sanders or nothing in their mind.

It's curious given that Biden was a darling of social media 2 years ago with people calling for him to run. Reddit was inundated with Biden memes.

I think it's the same situation as Clinton etc. Once they enter the race all of the social media posts start trying to unearth and point out things about them and the tide turns fast.

US system is so bad. If you are in state that hasn't voted yet, your only choice is Biden. How is that democracy.

Buer wrote: »
    Indeed. As I posted before, he's getting an incredible amount of publicity and coverage at the moment in a time where any other candidate isn't able to make public appearances. The leader during any major national crisis sees a bump in their approval.

He could bring a gun to a press conference and threaten a journalist with it. It would not damage his approval rating.

The Democratic candidate is just a crash test dummy. The election is Trump Vs not-Trump and the voting split between the mental defectives who'll vote for him and the rest who won't. The only possible difference is in the number of apathetic Americans who may have bothered voting for Sanders but now won't vote at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

US system is so bad. If you are in state that hasn't voted yet, your only choice is Biden. How is that democracy.

Primaries are a bloody weird system anyway. I've never entirely understood why people "at large" should have a say in who the candidate is anyway. The primaries are in no way a fundamental part of democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Remember Trump's quote about shooting people on 5th Avenue in NY and still being reelected? With all the preventable deaths in US in NY and elsewhere, if people still vote for Trump in November it will be even more depressing than last time out. I really wouldn't have confidence in Biden, he seems to be struggling a lot lately. I think Trump will make mincemeat of him, negative campaigning etc

Is there any reason that everyone involved in the race for one of the most important jobs in the world is well past retirement age? These guys wouldn't be allowed out to go shopping in Ireland but they all want a go at ruling the world.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It is quite amazing as Obama, Bush Junior, and Clinton are all younger than Trump and Biden.

Just barely in Bush and Clinton's case but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

So I managed to get into my local tesco this morning at 9.30 without any queueing whatsoever.

However as I was walking around, an older man (60 - 70??) came past me and, I can't really think of any other way of putting this....he was wearing a ladies product as a mask. It was adhesive and wasn't attached with string etc. Just stuck across his mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

mfceiling wrote: »
    So I managed to get into my local tesco this morning at 9.30 without any queueing whatsoever.

However as I was walking around an older man (60 - 70??) came past me and, I can't really think of any other way of putting this....he was wearing a ladies product as a mask. It was adhesive and wasn't attached with string etc. Just stuck across his mouth.

He must have looked a right c*nt .....

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    Remember Trump's quote about shooting people on 5th Avenue in NY and still being reelected? With all the preventable deaths in US in NY and elsewhere, if people still vote for Trump in November it will be even more depressing than last time out. I really wouldn't have confidence in Biden, he seems to be struggling a lot lately. I think Trump will make mincemeat of him, negative campaigning etc

Trump will cruise past him, I'd guess. Biden has already shown in the primary debates that his ability to argue coherently is reduced and I'd question his mental sharpness at this point relative to where it was. He spend 2-3 years out of the game. The election is going to be just short of his 78th birthday and, at that age, the mental faculties can diminish significantly in a couple of years.

Biden will be 78 if sworn in. That's 8 years older than the next oldest POTUS in history (Trump). I can see that being a very easily exposed angle for the Trump campaign to work.

Trump doesn't need to be articulate and sharp which gives him a pass for his age. That's not his angle and never has been. All he needs to do is shout slogans whilst abusing his opponent and his support will lap it up.

EDIT: With all that said, I think the attitude of many Sanders' supporters is infantile and ridiculous. The fact that a chiunk of them will happily sit back and let Trump walk to another 4 years rather than put a massively better candidate in place reflects very poorly on them. It's real toys out of the pram stuff.

David McWilliams has an interesting take on left and right wing political ideologies. The right will seek out common ground to see what unifies them and people will vote for the common views they identify e.g. many people might think Trump is an idiot but they fully support his stance on immigration and will vote for him on that one item. The left is the opposite. They seek out the differences between themselves and ostracise those they see as not ticking certain boxes for them. It often leads to multiple factions and splits where there's a dilution of power/support and candidates become unelectable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement