Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭swiwi_

“The prime minister has been stable overnight and remains in good spirits. He is receiving standard oxygen treatment and breathing without any other assistance. He has not required mechanical ventilation or non-invasive respiratory support”

Which begs the question why isn’t he in the normal ward...?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

swiwi_ wrote: »
    “The prime minister has been stable overnight and remains in good spirits. He is receiving standard oxygen treatment and breathing without any other assistance. He has not required mechanical ventilation or non-invasive respiratory support”

Maybe it's an understatement?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Yeah you can basically ignore all of the official reports coming out.

First they claimed he was feeling much better and soon after he was admitted to hospital.

Then they claimed he had just been admitted to run some tests and later said that he was feeling much better and in good spirits, and he was shortly after moved to ICU.

And now they're saying he's doing well and not on a ventilator...

The word we are looking for is disingenuous.

It’s clear they are telling porkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

As an example, I wasn't even able to run a speed test last night because the test kept erroring out as it wasn't able to make a connection in time.

Things are OK this morning, so far. Happening on two PCs but less so on my phone and not at all on my laptop (though that has a VPN on it which may be affecting things). Must test with my vpn on my main machine to see if that helps.

Are the PCs wired or wireless? If anything a VPN would only slow down your network, it shouldn't slow things down.

The one thing I would probably suggest is do a DNS flush on the PCs and then if that doesn't work set your DNS to Google's settings (8.8.8.8), there was something similar happening to my grandparents Virgin a while back on their laptop

• Advertisement

Are the PCs wired or wireless? If anything a VPN would only slow down your network, it shouldn't slow things down.

The one thing I would probably suggest is do a DNS flush on the PCs and then if that doesn't work set your DNS to Google's settings (8.8.8.8), there was something similar happening to my grandparents Virgin a while back on their laptop

Does restarting the router essentially flush DNS?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Aye, I flushed DNS alright. Ah I'll keep playing around with it and if I can't figure it out I'll get onto Virgin about it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If the worst happens to BoJo then the Brits will be looking for someone to blame, and we know who the US is going to blame, and international relations are going to be strained enough once this is all over.

My gf seems to be holding me personally responsible for not seeing each other right now. This is exhausting. We met in the park at a distance and we basically fought the whole time. Not sure why I'm posting here. It's been handy for a rant recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The word we are looking for is disingenuous.

It’s clear they are telling porkies.

Is it? I'd imagine Johnson would be moved into ICU far more quickly than the average person.

There are plenty of people who will be in the ICU and will see him. If he was on a ventilator, the creepy tabloids could surely coax the information from some underpaid staff member?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Buer wrote: »
    Is it? I'd imagine Johnson would be moved into ICU far more quickly than the average person.

There are plenty of people who will be in the ICU and will see him. If he was on a ventilator, the creepy tabloids could surely coax the information from some underpaid staff member?

I was talking to the missus about this last night, she is a doctor herself, and reckons there is absolutely no point in moving him to ICU unless he's quite ill, i.e. needs to be ventilated or is at risk of some sort of organ failure. View was a precautionary move to ICU makes doesn't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I just ran a Speedtest on my phone and got 10.7mbps down and 17mpbs up then immediately ran one on the laptop and got 131mbps down and 23mbps up. Normally the phone shows after speeds when I do that. Might be a router issue but it’s strange there can be such a difference just seconds apart.

I would've thought moving him to ICU prematurely or if it wasn't needed would've been a complete PR disaster given the strain the UK hospitals are under at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Either he needs to be in ICU and the government are lying about it or he's taking up a bed that someone else needs.

Both situations aren't good TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

My gf seems to be holding me personally responsible for not seeing each other right now. This is exhausting. We met in the park at a distance and we basically fought the whole time. Not sure why I'm posting here. It's been handy for a rant recently.

If I remember correctly I think you said your gf worked in the health industry, in which case she is, as I'm sure you are far more aware than I, under a huge deal of pressure so the fight is probably not about you but more about frustration with the situation in general.

I know that you probably know what I've said above already but sometimes when you're in the middle of it it can be hard to look at the bigger picture and getting a bit of reassurance from someone outside the situation is helpful, and necessary so don't be afraid to rant on here anytime

It would be utterly pointless. Either he needs a ventilator or he doesn't, if he doesn't there's no point in him being in the ICU, if his condition changes and he does he would not die in the time it would take to move him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Bazzo wrote: »
    It would be utterly pointless. Either he needs a ventilator or he doesn't, if he doesn't there's no point in him being in the ICU, if his condition changes and he does he would not die in the time it would take to move him there.

I would imagine he doesn't need one (yet) but is in there on the basis of who he is and the need to ensure he has round the clock attention. He's obviously in a serious condition but are we not verging on conspiracy theory stuff i.e. Downing Street is lying about his condition?

Given you live in the UK and swiwi is a medical professional, you're both better placed to comment than I am but is it not jumping to conclusions somewhat?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

We met in the park at a distance and we basically fought the whole time. Not sure why I'm posting here. It's been handy for a rant recently.

That's not how dogging works

I would imagine he doesn't need one (yet) but is in there on the basis of who he is and the need to ensure he has round the clock attention. He's obviously in a serious condition but are we not verging on conspiracy theory stuff i.e. Downing Street is lying about his condition?

Given you live in the UK and swiwi is a medical professional, you're both better placed to comment than I am but is it not jumping to conclusions somewhat?

But Downing St have already blatantly lied about his condition multiple times...(without getting into the fact that lying about everything is the current government's MO)

The vast majority of ICUs nationwide are at capacity, especially in London. Likelihood is somebody would be bumped to move him there. He'll already be getting round the clock attention without having to be in the ICU, he's the PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Clegg wrote: »
    I'm glad Tubridy has recovered.

Some people don't like him, but I found his LLS appearances over the last month to be rather reassuring. A lot of people needed that.

Yes, nice to hear him back on the radio this morning. He talks a fair bit of sense all right and I think a fair few people have been glad of his calmness in the last while.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

are we not verging on conspiracy theory stuff i.e. Downing Street is lying about his condition?

It's not paranoia if they're really after you...

b.gud wrote: »
    If I remember correctly I think you said your gf worked in the health industry, in which case she is, as I'm sure you are far more aware than I, under a huge deal of pressure so the fight is probably not about you but more about frustration with the situation in general.

I know that you probably know what I've said above already but sometimes when you're in the middle of it it can be hard to look at the bigger picture and getting a bit of reassurance from someone outside the situation is helpful, and necessary so don't be afraid to rant on here anytime

I get it that frustration will be boiling over. I'm experiencing it myself. But she's trying to convince me that we should be seeing each other as if its normal. I don't agree and because I'm not agreeing, I am to blame. I'm feeling emotionally blackmailed into going against my better judgement.

People in her work agree that we should be fine to see each other because we don't live with our parents. This is healthcare workers which blows my mind. Am I being far too cautious here? I thought the message was "Stay at home". I don't want an Italy situation here. If there a 1% chance of that, I will stay home seeing nobody for a month straight.

Another problem here is that I'm happy out isolating. I could spend a week in front of my computer and I'd only go a little crazy. She's a very social person who's effectively had her way of life taken away. She's the kind of person who would never be alone. It's only been a week and she's distraught. So it's much, much easier on me than her right now. She said this whole thing is convenient for me as I like some alone time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

As an aside, I’m not personally hearing that hydroxychloriquine is a wonder drug. It might make a small difference, I doubt it’s the panacea.

https://twitter.com/CREWcrew/status/1247207680869126146?s=19

Trump is a shill.

I get it that frustration will be boiling over. I'm experiencing it myself. But she's trying to convince me that we should be seeing each other as if its normal. I don't agree and because I'm not agreeing, I am to blame. I'm feeling emotionally blackmailed into going against my better judgement.

People in her work agree that we should be fine to see each other because we don't live with our parents. This is healthcare workers which blows my mind. Am I being far too cautious here? I thought the message was "Stay at home". I don't want an Italy situation here. If there a 1% chance of that, I will stay home seeing nobody for a month straight.

Another problem here is that I'm happy out isolating. I could spend a week in front of my computer and I'd only go a little crazy. She's a very social person who's effectively had her way of life taken away. She's the kind of person who would never be alone. It's only been a week and she's distraught. So it's much, much easier on me than her right now. She said this whole thing is convenient for me as I like some alone time.

I think it's probably extremely difficult for her considering as you mentioned before she had to move out of her parents and now she has to keep her distance from you as well, it's a lot to take on board combined with the fact she's a front line worker.

But the message was definitely stay at home and don't breach the social distance rules at all unless living in the same household. I'd imagine especially given she's probably more susceptible to catching the virus than your average punter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I hope he pulls through.

Statistically he's in quite a bit of peril now unless this is an over reaction given his profile.

I find it hard to be sympathetic however. His handling of this crisis has ranged from deeply incompetent to genuinely callous. The early downplaying, insisting on shaking peoples hands and failing to ramp up effectively will cost many many lives that could have been saved. His continued attempts to point score against the EU whilst pathetic is also incredibly damaging and the overall response of the Tory party to covid19 is an integral part of why so, so many in the UK just aren't taking this seriously.

I hope he pulls through but I also hope he has to answer for all the damage he has done these last few years.

This is a bit hyperbole Venjur.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

To be honest, I think everyone there is correct to some degree. If you were to continue to see each other and nobody else it would be akin to just being in the same household anyway (more or less anyway, depending on how you travel to see each other etc). However, as soon as you start caveating instructions and rules then it becomes a free for all mess, and it is much more sensible to have a simple message and for everyone to follow it.

The girlfriend has heard through a friend who's an ER consultant down in London that Boris is on CPAP, which isn't quite a ventilator but not far off, and also explains why he's in ICU, the next step would be a ventilator.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The girlfriend has heard through a friend who's an ER consultant down in London that Boris is on CPAP, which isn't quite a ventilator but not far off, and also explains why he's in ICU, the next step would be a ventilator.

That's the facemask/hood right?

Stheno wrote: »
    That's the facemask/hood right?

Yep basically a sealed system that forces oxygen into your lungs without mechanical intervention.

• Advertisement

So he has breathing support...

Porkies like I said.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement