Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Ewan McKenna absolutely schooled here. Cheered me up no end ... Its worth a read

https://twitter.com/Care2much18/status/1245896998760386566?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

"Owning" a clown still gives a clown oxygen. There's no point replying to someone who isn't willing to listen. He'll just delete tweets, pretend the exchange never happened and move on to the next faux outrage. Rinse and repeat.

It's a great thread but I can't help feeling it's just feeding someone who should be completely ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Ewan McKenna absolutely schooled here. Cheered me up no end ... Its worth a read

Just read that, it's absolutely beautiful.

I think the number of (alleged) journalists just throwing out unfounded claims is pretty worrying. Phillip Boucher-Hayes amongst others recently was claiming there was a swarm of FG twitter bots about the place for example. Someone actually did an analysis of replies to Simon Harris' tweets and found zero evidence of it, and Twitter themselves then followed up by saying there is zero evidence of suspicious activity. Seems enormously irresponsible to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Thoroughly enjoyed reading that thread. But as Thomond said, it's exactly the sort of thing he looks for where he gets people engaging with him and pushing his tweets out to bigger audiences and then hops in the replies to double down on it and push it further. Which then brings people to his account more often as they go out of their way to try and prove him wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Thoroughly enjoyed reading that thread. But as Thomond said, it's exactly the sort of thing he looks for where he gets people engaging with him and pushing his tweets out to bigger audiences and then hops in the replies to double down on it and push it further. Which then brings people to his account more often as they go out of their way to try and prove him wrong.

Yup. A tweet in isolation is a tweet. Provide a lengthy rebuttal and it is opened up to an exponentially wider audience (this is also why I rarely reply to Thomond).

Cosgrave's PR model thrives on misinformation and people giving it oxygen. It's quite clearly deliberate and a tactic to raise his own profile. The nurses tweet was reprehensible. I also saw a single retweet of a tragic case of a disabled person dying amongst a rake of tweets criticising the Irish government and response. I clicked it and scrolled down through the tweet of the person (a relative of the deceased) and they're in another country. The tweet was in relation to the health system elsewhere. Cosgrave purposely drops it in to misrepresent the situation in Ireland.

And people respond, retweet and believe.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,265 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

As a person who has never been on twitter, it simply comes across as the perfect practical manifestation of "empty vessels make the most noise"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

By the time all this is over I'm going to need a new pair of slippers.
    Mine have already given up the ghost. Have these on the way: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001OTYYY4

• Registered Users Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

dregin wrote: »
    Mine have already given up the ghost. Have these on the way: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001OTYYY4

I have a pair of those on my feet as we speak. A damn fine pair of slippers I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Slippers!! How old are you guys??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Slippers!! How old are you guys??

Man I haven't worn Jeans, Socks or a Shirt in weeks now.

• Advertisement

Bumped into a very close friend in the park while I was out for a run. I went for the distance elbow-shake thing. He approached and patted me on the shoulder; kept saying its grand. I fully lost it. A month of pent up frustration boiled over. I don't like telling people what to do but he walked into that one. Mind blowing how some people still don't get it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I've managed to strain my calf so now my bloody running is out the window as well. Hopefully it clears up soon or I'll go proper mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Bumped into a very close friend in the park while I was out for a run. I went for the distance elbow-shake thing. He approached and patted me on the shoulder; kept saying its grand. I fully lost it. A month of pent up frustration boiled over. I don't like telling people what to do but he walked into that one. Mind blowing how some people still don't get it.

Well you said he was a very close friend...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Lean on me, when you're not strong
    And I'll be your friend
    I'll help you carry on
    For it won't be long
    'Til I'm gonna need
    Somebody to lean on

At the time of this coronavirus pandemic...RIP Bill Withers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

Ah man I love Bill Withers really sad that he's gone.

If you haven't seen it the Still Bill documentary about him is great

dregin wrote: »

I dunno man. They're clearly slippers but they look problematically like shoes.

I could imagine .ak wearing them around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Another great gone. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Cuomo is knocking it out of the park with his press conferences. Exactly the message people need, delivered in the most New York way you could imagine. "He's strong... my brother... not as strong as he thinks but..."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

RIP Bill, truly one of the greats

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Cuomo is knocking it out of the park with his press conferences. Exactly the message people need, delivered in the most New York way you could imagine. "He's strong... my brother... not as strong as he thinks but..."

The green screen is kinda funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

errlloyd wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can order yoga mats and dumbells for delivery to Dublin that won't be mad pricey (I'm willing to spend a bit if they're good). Feels like they all cost a lot more than they should.

https://www.mcsport.ie/ Or D8 fitness but I’m not sure they’re open

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Burkie1203 wrote: »

How does one read a Twitter thread exactly? Where does it start and end?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Did any of you watch The Line of Duty?

Just started season 3 last night and i have to say it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

How does one read a Twitter thread exactly? Where does it start and end?

Look for tweets from Danny Boy

He totally schooled McKenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I've come to the conclusion that there is a minority of ppl in the Covid thread who are deliberately trying to spread fear and worry in others.

We know the testing numbers aren't high enough which is a problem. The number of ppl with the virus is higher than the reported figure. But they're completely ignoring the effects of this social distancing/quarantine in mitigating the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Clegg wrote: »
    I've come to the conclusion that there is a minority of ppl in the Covid thread who are deliberately trying to spread fear and worry in others.

We know the testing numbers aren't high enough which is a problem. The number of ppl with the virus is higher than the reported figure. But they're completely ignoring the effects of this social distancing/quarantine in mitigating the spread.

I've been quite active on the thread on and off - but would advice most, including myself, only go on it at limited times - most , including myself, are bored indoors, and it can eat up a lot of time, but usually I feal a lot worse after , ther is some good stuff ther, but a lot of people in including the medics are in the dark with this and still learning, but ther is no shortage of experts on that thread. B

• Registered Users Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

thebaz wrote: »
    I've been quite active on the thread on and off - but would advice most, including myself, only go on it at limited times - most , including myself, are bored indoors, and it can eat up a lot of time, but usually I feal a lot worse after , ther is some good stuff ther, but a lot of people in including the medics are in the dark with this and still learning, but ther is no shortage of experts on that thread. B

Yeah I don't follow it closely because it is bad for my mental health if I go through it page by page. Especially with the muck being posted. It's Journal comments section tier.

America is about to take a giant leap backwards. What an unbelievable mess.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

America is about to take a giant leap backwards. What an unbelievable mess.

What's he done now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Clegg wrote: »

Its also worth remembering that 85% of tests are coming back as negative too. Is the actual number of cases higher? Yes. But that's always, always going to be the way of it. It's just a reality that we cant test everyone in a short space of time. We're doing as good a job as can be expected and the real positive for me is just how seriously we as a society have taken the restrictions and been, by and large, really good at implementing them.

Seeing business reacting well to the situation has been very positive too. We're getting a roast pork dinner delivered tomorrow by a local chef that sounds unbelievably good! Hes a caterer by trade but obviously the need for a caterer is all but gone so hes adapting and doing a delivery service instead. And people are buying into that stuff and being really supportive and appreciative of the efforts of people like that.

The virus itself is a little scary, especially if you or someone you know is in the high risk category. But amid all that theres been so many positives too, in terms of people and how we've dealt with it all and in terms of the leadership we've seen throughout. This will pass. But the lessons and positives we take from it could make a really positive difference going forward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement