Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Don’t forget to put your clocks forward tonight..........(to 1st Jan 2021).

Do people still put the clocks forward?

Seriously. Most do it automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Talisman wrote: »
    The X chromosome contains immunity-related genes. Females have two X chromosomes, while males have a single one.

I think they were asking about the other 1%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Probably already shared but I'd like to add something if I may.

We are one of the largest exporters of Pharma in Europe. Pretty sure they need paracetamol.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-oxygen-equipment-meant-for-ireland-held-back-by-italy-1.4214229?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

New Home wrote: »
    More like the reports received by the authorities didn't specify.

I'd say it's most likely she forgot to round up one of the figures to the nearest whole number!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Unlikely to be the reason.

Smoking rates are higher in males and this is a respiratory illness. Men are also more likely to be overweight.
    These are just two risk factors for respiratory illness that place men at higher risk.
    I read that the disease is hard on the heart and this is the main reason for people dying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Un1corn wrote: »
    Doubting Chinese statistics is not really a conspiracy theory. It is a country built upon lies and false claims. Everything from the foundation of the state through the land reforms, great leap forward, cultural revolutio...........
    I see u typing but all i can read is blah blah blah

zzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Lavinia wrote: »

zzzzzzzzzzzz

Sure yer man played hurling in Croke Park so they must be sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

New Home wrote: »
    Triage DOES NOT include removing a ventilator from someone to give it to someone else. Which is what is happening now. And I'm well aware of what triage involves on a daily basis.

That is not true. Ventilation is given to those with the projected best outcomes, and occasionally for humanitarian reasons to keep someone alive long enough for family to get home from abroad or that to say goodbye.

Sometimes the truth hurts, and it's painful for families, but I trust the medics and they will advise.

These kind of decisions have been happening since Adam was a boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Tandey

Well the ones that don’t go forward automatically, yeah. Common sense to most people I’d imagine. Do you have an issue with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-52079959

Coronavirus: New regulations to come into force

New powers to combat the spread of coronavirus are to come into force across Northern Ireland from 23:00 GMT on Saturday.

The regulations will prohibit anyone from leaving home without a reasonable excuse and compel the closure of certain premises.

The NI Executive agreed the powers in response to the Covid-19 outbreak.

Penalties, ranging from fixed penalty notices to fines of up to £5,000, are being introduced as enforcement.

The powers also ban gatherings of more than two people.

First Minister Arlene Foster described the powers as "extraordinary" but said "we are living in extraordinary times".

"We are asking the people of Northern Ireland to make fundamental changes to how they live their lives," said Mrs Foster.

"But we are doing this to keep you safe, to flatten the curve of the Covid-19 infection so that the health service has the capacity to deal with those who need their help the most."

The first minister said the executive knows "the enormity" of what they are asking of the public.

Deputy First Minister Michelle O'Neill said "protecting the public, supporting the health service and saving lives" were the executive's priorities.

"Each one of us has a personal responsibility to do everything we can to fight back against Covid-19 for the good of everyone across society," she said.

"We will use every power we have to ensure people stay at home so that we save as many lives as we possibly can."

The executive has also agreed that:

Anyone who can work from home must work from home
    Employers must facilitate working from home where it is feasible
    No employer should compel an employee to come to work if it is feasible to work from home
    Every employer must take all reasonable steps to safeguard the health, safety and wellbeing of employees during the COVID-19 emergency, whether working from home or in the workplace
    Every employer must have particular regard to the safety of employees in the workplace and must put into effect the guidance on social distancing issued by the Department for the Economy
    Every employer has a legal duty to ensure, so far as it is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all employees
    Where a business is failing to observe the Department for the Economy guidance and breaching the legal duty on health and safety, the statutory authorities will take robust action, which may include prosecution for criminal offences
    Where necessary, the Executive Office will also use its power of direction to close or restrict businesses that do not ensure the safety of their employees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Number of cases as a % of new cases is trending down. Number of new cases is static enough.
    One small crumb of comfort in that Italy dead/recovered at 10023/22407 = 44.73%, has remained under 45% for a number of days now, they' should have control when under 40% on way down, based on other countries which have stabilized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Whoosh ....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I read that the disease is hard on the heart and this is the main reason for people dying.

I saw somewhere, (can’t remember where), that a study of the first 2500 deaths in Italy showed that the leading ‘underlying condition’ of those who died was heart disease, followed by diabetes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Dont forget to put your clock forward tonight folks. Wouldn't want anyone to miss an exciting day ahead tomorrow of Covid 19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Holy sh!t. That is some medievac. They were slow on the uptake of appearing to not give a fvck but Germany bringing out the big guns. (china and Russia got their first) I bet they realise there is a very real threat of Italy leaving EU after this settles. Geopolitics. Great gesture all the same and fair play.

https://twitter.com/Fola30903998/status/1244001512445087744?s=20

Wow, that is incredibly impressive

Saudi Arabia indefinitely extending the suspension of international passenger flights and all other restrictions within the territory.
    There's a different non-COVID-19 agenda at work in Saudi.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

Lavinia wrote: »

zzzzzzzzzzzz

What a valuable contribution to the debate. You accused skeptics of China of being conspiracy theorists. I and others merely stated how things in China have happened in the past and affect us now. It is very relevant to the topic and ignoring the on the ground realities and things that happen in China has serious effects on our life in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭JoChervil

fr336 wrote: »
    Worldometers is such a great site. Of active cases in Italy, 94% are mild and 6% are critical. It's still really really bad, but not as mad sounding as the headlines...

But almost 11% of all cases are dead

• Registered Users Posts: 17,352 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/gofundmescrubs4the-fontline

Please help with PPE for the front line heroes

Someone already has a gofundme to buy from the same place - why is someone doing another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    What area are you in ? I’ve yet to see any and I live near the city.

The police have been very evident today on the streets of Dublin. One cannot avoid them. I guess it is because the rate of infection is so high in Dublin in comparison with other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

You're largely correct. More severe cases of COVID cause myocardial injury- we do Troponins on covid patients (Troponin being a biomarker we use for heart injury in heart attacks, for example) as a predictor of severity.

It's probably not the main reason for death- death will be multi-factorial and this cardiac injury will be just one contributory factor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

fritzelly wrote: »
    Someone already has a gofundme to buy from the same place - why is someone doing another?

Virtue signallers - why do the government not divert some of the money wasted on the “homeless” crisis to purchasing this equipment?

owlbethere wrote: »
    Wow, that is incredibly impressive
    I make it 9 stations in the view shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just on ventilators, it seems an extraordinary amount of companies are trying to produce them, everyone from James Dyson to General Motors. But the best thinking outside the box Ive heard yet is from one company who are trying to modify current ventilators so that the unit can ventilate two people at the same time instead of one. If they can crack that one it has the potential to double ventilation capacity everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

JoChervil wrote: »
    But almost 11% of all cases are dead

10,000+ deaths in the space of 60 days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

fr336 wrote: »
    Worldometers is such a great site. Of active cases in Italy, 94% are mild and 6% are critical. It's still really really bad, but not as mad sounding as the headlines...

It is a great site.
    Closed case cfr at 18% though, obviously highly inflated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Northern Ireland issuing upwards of £5,000 fines for those who don't comply.

Will there be any fines for down here in the south?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just on ventilators, it seems an extraordinary amount of companies are trying to produce them, everyone from James Dyson to General Motors. But the best thinking outside the box Ive heard yet is from one company who are trying to modify current ventilators so that the unit can ventilate two people at the same time instead of one. If they can crack that one it has the potential to double ventilation capacity everywhere.

Loads of stuff online.

Cuomo talked about it last night. Trialling a 2x configuration. But seen stuff online with up to a 12x split. Musk even inputting into some of the dicussions.

There is also a huge open source Ventilator scene that has spawned in recent weeks - large one here https://opensourceventilator.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Un1corn wrote: »
    What a valuable contribution to the debate. You accused skeptics of China of being conspiracy theorists. I and others merely stated how things in China have happened in the past and affect us now. It is very relevant to the topic and ignoring the on the ground realities and things that happen in China has serious effects on our life in Ireland.

Do you believe that the WHO and China are conspiring to hide the true figue of infections in China at the moment?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement