Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Tandey

I know a fella that was stopped at three different checkpoints

Was he driving a BMW by any chance?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Nesta99 wrote: »
    If the virus was anything like this thread we'd be in really serious trouble - I cant keep up with the sheer volume of posts!!
    Don't worry, we'll be starting again some time tomorrow....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Lavinia wrote: »
    Yes but number of newly infected is not going down

Yes, you are correct. Guess I was allowing optimism/positivity to get ahead of me in terms of my wording.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,576 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Saudi Arabia indefinitely extending the suspension of international passenger flights and all other restrictions within the territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,747 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

https://www.gofundme.com/f/gofundmescrubs4the-fontline

Please help with PPE for the front line heroes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Beasty wrote: »
    Don't worry, we'll be starting again some time tomorrow....

Are we skipping thread number XIII

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yes, you are correct. Guess I was allowing optimism/positivity to get ahead of me in terms of my wording.

None of those figures are truly accurate.

they may be at a limit of what they can test at, they may not be testing everyone with symptons (like Ireland), there may be a dozen factors.

I would only use these figures as a rough estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭briany

BanditLuke wrote: »
    The massive cover up from the Chinese from the get go is going to cost the planet dearly in the coming weeks and months. Some people still seem to believe they only had a few thousand deaths there also, bless.

I would doubt the Chinese numbers, myself. I think most would given that country's general M.O., but has a smoking gun emerged to confirm these doubts? Are any anonymous whistle blowers giving indications of what the true scale of the outbreak is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭greenfield21

bekker wrote: »
    Untrue, head of company who was in talks with US 'resigned' and founder and developer of research application is back in charge.

After this they then confirmed they had received no take over offers, also the CEO had no ownership in the company so talking about offers with him would be pointless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

fr336 wrote: »
    Worldometers is such a great site. Of active cases in Italy, 94% are mild and 6% are critical. It's still really really bad, but not as mad sounding as the headlines...

The Italians probably would disagree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,576 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

I can't wait for a day that your words will come true.. I'm sure we are all in that same boat of hope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Who are Michael Geary and Ray Doherty and how do we know they won't just pocket the money? And like seriously, even if genuine, what's their plan? Purchase PPE and charter a flight from China all with only 2.5k?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

sdanseo wrote: »
    (imho) It's not that their death rate appears low, it is low.
    Other countries' appear artificially high, simply because the disease is much more widespread in the community than the figures support.

We need the antibody test to be rolled out en masse as soon as possible, I suspect the real position is somewhere between the doomsdayers and the Oxford report which suggested 50% + of the UK has already had the disease - most without realising.

Keep watching the stats from Iceland.

Although it's a small country and relatively early in the epidemic, they have better data than anyone because they're doing so much testing.

Random testing of the general population over 2 weeks has found 0.8% positive, meaning around 3,000 people nationwide could have the virus.
    Some people may have recovered already and now be testing negative, so the total infected to date could be higher.

They've now recorded 963 cases from people with symptoms or contacts, plus the ones from the random testing.
    They've had two deaths, of which one may not have been due to the virus, and there are currently 6 in intensive care. Those numbers could go up because we know that severe symptoms take time if they are going to appear, but still the fatality rate right now looks a lot lower than for most other countries.

Edit: data at https://www.covid.is/data

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Northern Ireland issuing upwards of £5,000 fines for those who don't comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Things taking a turn for the worse in Italy :(

Coronavirus: Italy becoming impatient with lockdown - and social unrest is brewing
    Police descend on a supermarket after reports people have stolen food to feed themselves, as patience turns to desperation.

Videos have emerged of desperate people in Italy begging for help because they have run out of money and food.

Well into its third week of the coronavirus lockdown, Italy is still seeing many hundreds of people dying each day.

Progress in containing the COVID-19 spread is slow, hope and patience are fading and the economic cost is becoming ever more acute.

The strain is showing in the south of the country where one man in Apulia reportedly called police after the bank closed and they couldn't withdraw his mother's pension - their only income.

Footage shows him shouting at officers, telling them the family has no money, his mother begging them to go to their home so she could show them they have no food. It's hard to watch. It's what desperation looks like.

Another video has been shared around the country showing a father with his young daughter addressing the Italian prime minister, saying: "It's already 15-20 days that we've been inside and we're at our limit."

He gestures to his little girl who is eating a piece of bread and says: "Like my daughter, other children in a few days won't be able to eat this bit of bread. Rest assured, you will regret this because we're going to have a revolution."

Images have also emerged of police descending on supermarkets in Palermo in Sicily after reports people have started stealing to feed themselves. And groups have been set up in the last few days on social media to organise raids of supermarkets.

Sky News was sent a video message of a man in Sicily with a gun even offering to kill.

The mayor of Palermo told Sky News crime gangs are exploiting people's hardship and inciting violence - he warns a social emergency is next.

"Discomfort and malaise are growing and we are recording worrying reports of protest and anger that is being exploited by criminals who want to destabilise the system," said Leoluca Orlando.

"The more time passes, the more resources are exhausted. The few savings people have are running out. This tells us socio-economic issues will erupt."

Italy's prime minister, Giuseppe Conte, has made €25bn available to support families and businesses affected by lockdown. Some say they're still waiting for that help.

Others don't qualify because their employment is not officially recorded. Italy has a big cash economy of unregistered workers - the large majority of this in the south.

The further south you go, the higher the level of deprivation and the higher the unemployment.

While the virus hasn't reached the same crisis levels in southern Italy, hunger and hardship threaten to be even bigger problems.

Italy is ahead of other countries in this outbreak and unrest threatens to be the next chapter in this crisis.

As the country struggles to bring the virus spread under control, the government has extended lockdown from 3 April with no new deadline.

Lockdown is the only solution to save lives.

But in southern Italy, for many, it feels like it's threatening their very survival.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-italy-becoming-impatient-with-lockdown-and-social-unrest-is-brewing-11965122

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Don't really see the point in this if they're just going to be bought by a private individual to be handed over to HSE. If PPE is available on the island I'm sure no expense will be spared in getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    None of those figures are truly accurate.

they may be at a limit of what they can test at, they may not be testing everyone with symptoms (like Ireland), there may be a dozen factors.

I would only use these figures as a rough estimation.

Yes, completely aware of the potential deficiencies in the stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭Talisman

niallo27 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what's going on with the 53% male and 46% female. What am I missing here.
    The X chromosome contains immunity-related genes. Females have two X chromosomes, while males have a single one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

fr336 wrote: »
    Worldometers is such a great site. Of active cases in Italy, 94% are mild and 6% are critical. It's still really really bad, but not as mad sounding as the headlines...
    yes but if you look at stats of closed cases you will see that 45 percent of people died while only 55 percent recovered..

that scares me tbh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

owlbethere wrote: »
    This was in a video that was linked earlier. It's a sign on a window in China saying

"We currently don't except visitors with a temperature of 37.3"

Why is their temperature for fever set low at 37.3?

I thought here the temperature to look out for and for self isolation is 37.8?

It's less about the temperature and more about foreigners are infected

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Don’t forget to put your clocks forward tonight..........(to 1st Jan 2021).

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Yup twice while driving to the shops at a checkpoint.

Went out for a walk myself and was stopped on the seafront asked where I was going to and how far from home I was (was within the 2k)

What area are you in ? I’ve yet to see any and I live near the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

I was told I would get a fast track swab cause I work in a hospital and need to get back... in a few hours I got it done 7 days ago !!! Anyone know who I can call ?? I know they're busy but surely emergency services staff should be pushed forward ?

They even told me around 4 times it would get marked as urgent. Our staff are dropping like flies and I'm going mad at home not being there://// I also have an underlying illness and so does my mam.

How long are the swabs taking on average ? I might have to get my chief to call them

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

I am tired with these newly registered people throwing all kinds of conspiracy theories here about this country or that country.. geez lads give it a break
    nobody cares what you privately believe or not :rolleyes:

Doubting Chinese statistics is not really a conspiracy theory. It is a country built upon lies and false claims. Everything from the foundation of the state through the land reforms, great leap forward, cultural revolution, Tiananmen deaths, GDP figures have all been over or understated. Check out how Chinese famines occurred and how officials continued to lie even though their whole villages were starving.

Whether you like to believe it or not you're possibly locked in your house now and the country facing economic ruin because of decisions and mistakes made by Wuhan/Chinese officials. It is important to know this and know how to counter this in the future. We live in a globalized world and incompetency in China can have deadly consequences in Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

The wife must be telling the neighbours i do **** all around the house.

I was putting out the bins the other night at about 8 and everyone gave me a round of applause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Northern Ireland issuing upwards of £5,000 fines for those who don't comply.

Up to £5k.

This jurisdiction will be up to €2.5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Coyote

not sure what is that you are showing but its not true, (unfortunately)

507416.JPG

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

you have to remember there is two numbers
    1. total number per day that is staying the same
    2. % growth of cases of the total cases which is dropping

with exponential growth even getting the same number of cases per day is still a drop in the % growth of the total cases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Talisman wrote: »
    The X chromosome contains immunity-related genes. Females have two X chromosomes, while males have a single one.

Unlikely to be the reason.

Smoking rates are higher in males and this is a respiratory illness. Men are also more likely to be overweight.
    These are just two risk factors for respiratory illness that place men at higher risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

fritzelly wrote: »
    It's less about the temperature and more about foreigners are infected
    I think those contactless thermometers are inaccurate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement